Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vitamean posted:

it's like googling a character name and seeing the top result start with "Glupp Shitto was" like yeah it sucks to learn that your most beloved character dies but does it matter? You don't know the context or when it happens, so whatever.

I've started playing through AI Nirvana Initiative and seen a couple spoilery art pieces on Twitter but it's more now that I'm interested in learning how those characters end up in that situation.

To the people who give a drat about spoilers, yeah, it matters. A lot. Speaking from experience, this argument holds no sway with that crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I respect not wanting to get spoiled, but if you are worried about spoilers don't google the characters. Just play the game or ask in a thread like this where you can assume people will keep the black text blockers up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

God Hole posted:

this was all I wanted to know :(

I was mostly upset at the prospect that wider story implications would be ruined by the revelation like I would've preferred not to know that time travel or alternate dimensions were major plot beats but apparently that's not something I have to worry about too much

If it makes you feel better that's not what that is talking about. She just uses Matoya's name as a pseudonym for a bit. It's not a major revelation or anything.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

God Hole posted:

this was all I wanted to know :(

I was mostly upset at the prospect that wider story implications would be ruined by the revelation like I would've preferred not to know that time travel or alternate dimensions were major plot beats but apparently that's not something I have to worry about too much

yeah, pretty much

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Wrestlepig posted:

I respect not wanting to get spoiled, but if you are worried about spoilers don't google the characters. Just play the game or ask in a thread like this where you can assume people will keep the black text blockers up.

This is a big one from me. Staying spoiler-free requires active effort on the part of the person who wishes to stay spoiler free, moreso the longer the content you're avoiding spoilers for has been out. The longer it's been, the more people will expect that anyone taking part in a discussion (or looking in on the discussion) already knows everything worth spoiling.

This goes double for something like googling a character. Expect there to be spoilers either in the first few images, or in easily-noticeable text in that search. And bear in mind that even if you think you've found a spoiler, I know the No-Spoilers-Extremists tend to hate this argument and ignore it, you do not know the context for the spoiler yet. Something you see and think "OH GOD SPOILER NOOO" might not even actually be important. It might be a Red Herring! It might be a fakeout! Who knows?! It might be something from a trailer that the creators are perfectly okay with people knowing is coming before they start into the thing, though I know some people take No-Spoilers-Extremism to the point of refusing to even watch teaser trailers or know literally anything besides the name of the thing before they go into it. I've literally been yelled at for spoilers for discussing something that was literally part of the initial announcement of the thing.

Frankly, I think it's all nonsense. If you don't want spoilers, put in the effort to avoid them yourself. People will want to discuss a thing. Let them. If you don't want them to discuss a thing around you before you can see it, it is your responsibility to remove yourself from the situation when they are talking about it, it is not their responsibility to never talk about the thing they enjoy just because you refuse to go away so they can. If they can setup a separate text channel in something like discord for spoilery discussions, that's fine, but don't expect to walk into a bloody convention about the thing and not see any spoilers.

This does go both ways, though. If the person *is* putting in effort to avoid spoilers, repay that in kind. Make that separate channel for spoilery discussions. If they happen to wander into the room when you're having a spoilery discussion with others, let them know that you're discussing spoilers to give them a chance to remove themselves.

It's up to the rest of the world to keep spoilers at least a little bit out of the way for a reasonable amount of time, but it's also up to the people avoiding those spoilers to not go looking in the places that are obviously going to be swimming in spoilers. And don't cry if something that's 40 years old gets spoiled for you. It's been 40 years. You missed your chance.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 25, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Stay away from fan art for the game too because some of the artists' favorite characters are the mega spoiler ones

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yes, fan artists love spoiler character and putting them in compromising situations that would also be considered spoilers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

though I know some people take No-Spoilers-Extremism to the point of refusing to even watch teaser trailers or know literally anything besides the name of the thing before they go into it.

Thinking about some people who said that translations of the Japanese names of the expansions was spoilers.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Teasers, trailers, and the game's own openings are huge spoilers.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Right after I started playing a couple years ago I thought I had gotten spoiled on the death of one of the scions because I had googled them and one of the autocomplete suggestions was "death" (and then there were like three separate occasions during the story where I was like "ah ok here it is")

but they're still alive!!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

WrightOfWay posted:

If it makes you feel better that's not what that is talking about. She just uses Matoya's name as a pseudonym for a bit. It's not a major revelation or anything.

lmao just another day of making myself mad over nothing on the internet

idk I'm not a purist or anything but I read game of thrones over the course of like 5 years and oftentimes a character wouldn't make an appearance for hundreds and hundreds of pages, years in my time, and I never had a problem with spoilers while looking up their arc from a previous installment to refresh my memory. I think that's how it should be with any piece of long-running media... of course how it should be and how it is are two very different things

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Kwyndig posted:

Oh yes, fan artists love spoiler character and putting them in compromising situations that would also be considered spoilers.

the funny thing is, I can think of at least 3 characters this could apply to minimum

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got spoiled on P5R just because I wanted to see who voiced the new character. I was annoyed! they should get rid of google (sincere)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Help Im Alive posted:

Right after I started playing a couple years ago I thought I had gotten spoiled on the death of one of the scions because I had googled them and one of the autocomplete suggestions was "death" (and then there were like three separate occasions during the story where I was like "ah ok here it is")

but they're still alive!!
If this is about the same character as the nothing-spoiler, they're way too popular for Squeenix to kill off for real. Cat waifu moves merch. It is, however, a running joke that they ALMOST die in every expansion now, and the first maybe-death might've stuck if they hadn't changed voice casts in the move from ARR to HW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

girl dick energy posted:

If this is about the same character as the nothing-spoiler, they're way too popular for Squeenix to kill off for real. Cat waifu moves merch. It is, however, a running joke that they ALMOST die in every expansion now, and the first maybe-death might've stuck if they hadn't changed voice casts in the move from ARR to HW.

Similar to how the only Darklord to escape Ravenloft did so through legal action, the merchandising is too strong for that one to die.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

"easily googled" is doing a lot of work in the age of SEO shovel-article sites and mandatory ten minute youtube videos for a 30 second answer.

The era of GameFAQs was really the best of the internet

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

It was actually Thancred! The duty in Shadowbringers with Ran'jit in particular seemed like it was maybe for real since I thought I'd been spoiled but turns out he was ok

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Help Im Alive posted:

It was actually Thancred! The duty in Shadowbringers with Ran'jit in particular seemed like it was maybe for real since I thought I'd been spoiled but turns out he was ok

I've always wondered if that scene was supposed to be a real death scene and then they chickened out later. It's just pitch-perfect, and the "Urianger healed him off-camera, he's fine now" bit feels very stapled on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I've always wondered if that scene was supposed to be a real death scene and then they chickened out later. It's just pitch-perfect, and the "Urianger healed him off-camera, he's fine now" bit feels very stapled on.
Even if it was, I'm glad they changed their minds, post-ShB Thancred is a much better character.

About a month late on this (I fell off XIV for a while due to depression), but I'm finally in Endwaker, just got to Old Sharlayan and now I'm waiting for my other friend who just finished Seat of Sacrifice to catch up, since they got through most of ShB while I was taking a break.

Also, here with more TL;DR Infographics that I made for my friends/girlfriend and might as well share with y'all.

First, a two-parter about different potential ways to set up your hotbars. (Using 3x4 boxes and Red Mage, because that's what my GF prefers.)

The main takeaway, though, is that it's not important what system you use with your hotbars, so much as that you have a system. Cramming in skills wherever, or, worse, in learn order, is going to make playing any job significantly harder. Trust me. Deal with the initial hump of re-learning muscle memory, and make yourself a system that makes sense for you.

How to transfer from Bard to Machinist, also for my girlfriend. And, because Machinist basically requires you know how it works...

A simple guide on weaving/double-weaving.

Edit: The tip about using your Rook at 100 Battery is a deliberate Wittgenstein's ladder. Yes, it's technically a small DPS loss to use at 100 instead of 50, but 100 makes a ready sound, and "use it when it's full" reduces the complexity space, which removes some of the burden of learning off a new player, and by the time they're worried about that little of a loss of DPS, they'll be beyond TL;DR guides.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Still mad the game itself spoiled me with a random Triple Triad open tournament.

Hydaelyn, as a humanoid figure, with a Primal tag. literally three expansions later I hit Qitana Ravel and they finally actually tell me.

The spoiler itself doesn't bother me, just that I could hit it doing something so innocuous.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 26, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Dareon posted:

Still mad the game itself spoiled me with a random Triple Triad open tournament.

Hydaelyn, as a humanoid figure, with a Primal tag. literally three expansions later I hit Qitana Ravel and they finally actually tell me.

The spoiler itself doesn't bother me, just that I could hit it doing something so innocuous.

That spoiler tells you way less than you'd think from the perspective of post-EW at least. Also that's a pretty edge case in optional multiplayer content, and like seeing the gear/mounts people use, I feel there's only so much that can be done to insulate people in older content

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

open tournaments are the ones where everyone drafts decks from possible cards selected by the game, that one's easily fixed by squenix, just don't offer players plot-heavy cards. it's not like they're playing people who are bringing their own decks

hexwren fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 26, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

This may just be me misunderstanding what you mean by "rare" but everything on the "rare" toolbar should be used the second it comes off cooldown (outside of saving addle for the next raidwide, maybe keeping swiftcast or an acceleration charge in your pocket for movement, and maybe waiting an extra second for a melee to use LB3 before you cast verflashbang), which seems like the opposite of rare to me.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 26, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah I wouldn't call RDM's two big damage oGCDs that you use every 30 seconds "rare" in any definition of the term...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dareon posted:

Triple Triad is pretty heavy with the light spoilers. There are some with characters wearing outfits from future expansions, so a lot of of "Scion Friend (Shadowbringers)". The story often has characters fake-dieing, so when you see that you know death won't stick until at least that expansion.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I got spoiled on Seat of Sacrifice Warrior of Light being a thing but thankfully there isn't a lot of context other than Amano drawn bosses are loving sweet in this game

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

funny enough the triple triad thing was also in a shadowbringers trailer

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Theris posted:

This may just be me misunderstanding what you mean by "rare" but everything on the "rare" toolbar should be used the second it comes off cooldown (outside of saving addle for the next raidwide, maybe keeping swiftcast or an acceleration charge in your pocket for movement, and maybe waiting an extra second for a melee to use LB3 before you cast verflashbang), which seems like the opposite of rare to me.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah I wouldn't call RDM's two big damage oGCDs that you use every 30 seconds "rare" in any definition of the term...
That's very true! They are, however, things you'd use during both mob pulls and during boss fights, and there wasn't any more room in single-target, so I decided to put them in the "other" category.

If I was to redo it, I'd probably move Vercure and Displacement to Rare/Other and put Fleche and Contre Sixte into their spots. In fact, that's an easy enough fix that I might do it anyways.

Edit: And done. Thank you both!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2023

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, I have an "organization" system like that on controller. It's something like this on DPS:

Double Crossbar: [rare role actions] [rare infrequent stuff] ||| [situational infrequent stuff] [situational gcds]

Main Crossbar: [buffs and other rare stuff] [aoe rotation] ||| [ogcds] [single-target rotation]

So for example on Red Mage, the far right on main crossbar is for Jolt, Veraero and Verthunder, with the double crossbar above it where Verfire and Verstone live. It also has Reprise and Displacement.
In the ogcds section is Fleche, Contre Sixte, Manafication, and Corps-a-Corps, with the "situational" stuff above it being the main melee combo and Engagement.
AOE section has Verthunder III, Veraero III, Impact, and Moulinet of course. Above it in the "rare infrequent" is Verraise, Magic Barrier, and Swiftcast.
The buffs section is where Embolden, Addle, Acceleration, and Lucid Dreaming all live. And finally the farthest top left corner is where I still have things like Sleep, the strongest Ethers I can find, my Limit Break...

I follow this template as much as I can for DPS, but healers take a different approach. All dps is in the bottom right (Stone, Aero, Holy, Assize on WHM, for instance), with common heals in the place I'd normally put AOEs (Afflatus heals, Tetragrammaton, Cure II), rare heals in the ogcds section (Medica II, Regen, Raise, Esuna), but the buffs section tends to be the same - at least in terms of damage boosters. (Presence of Mind on White Mage, or Chain Strategem on Scholar, for instance.) The top has an almost random smattering of all the various mitigations and healing buffs and such.

I like talking about this kind of stuff. Sorry if it's boring.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I like talking about this kind of stuff. Sorry if it's boring.
This is the New Players thread, and some new players use controllers, I'm sure they're glad for a similar system on cross hotbar. Thank you.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's better to get into theorycraft for controller use early so you don't get into bad habits as you get more abilities.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just wish I had made my own little graphic or at least screenshotted my hotbar if people really are looking for that. I play more often on Steam Deck lately so it's not easy to get shots from there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like to keep my role actions and equivalent actions on the same hotbar between jobs. Bloodletting is always in the same place, Swiftcast is always in the same place, etc. and apply that to buttons that do the same/similar things but are named different like all the various mitigations Tanks have.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

[spoiler]
First, a two-parter about different potential ways to set up your hotbars. (Using 3x4 boxes and Red Mage, because that's what my GF prefers.)

The main takeaway, though, is that it's not important what system you use with your hotbars, so much as that you have a system. Cramming in skills wherever, or, worse, in learn order, is going to make playing any job significantly harder. Trust me. Deal with the initial hump of re-learning muscle memory, and make yourself a system that makes sense for you.

I use a very similar set-up to this. On my left panel is my 'damaging' actions. Things where I press the button and a number ticks on the boss. These are split into a 'single target' and 'AOE' card. For GNB, this only really changes the top row, but it matters more with some other classes. I switch between the two with a keybind that's near my WASD resting place.

My right panel is 'stuff that makes me/my party better.' Buffs, debuffs, other things that don't make numbers tick on the boss. Defensive and offensive cooldowns, resource building cooldowns, utility abilities... all of these are accessed with a modifier key and the panel itself is static.

Finally I have a 'weird poo poo that doesn't map neatly onto those two.' Sprint, my ranged attack as a tank, and other buttons that are highly context sensitive but I want to be able to press in a hurry if I need to or want to avoid accidentally pressing when doing normal actions. These buttons are mapped to the right of WASD on my keyboard. (Press F to pay respects by shooting the boss in the face from 20 yalms lol)

It took me a day of planning, then practicing on training dummies, to retrain my muscle memory, but I like it waaaay better than the default bar arrangements.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
For anyone using the starter edition of FFXIV (with ARR + Heavensward), they're giving Stormblood away for free for a while:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/cdb92d5c9805f1c50721f3c03a16d7ccef049f79

Edit: Er, I mean,

Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime. PLUS you get the entirety of the blockbuster expansion STORMBLOOD absolutely free!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 27, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

girl dick energy posted:

This is the New Players thread, and some new players use controllers, I'm sure they're glad for a similar system on cross hotbar. Thank you.

Here, here (hear, hear?). I also try to keep conceptual links between what's put on, e.g., L2+Square across all jobs. It's a good idea to help you train memory across jobs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that one

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For White Mage do I want to be throwing out Solace and Rapture as soon as they're available so I can get to Misery ASAP?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Electric Phantasm posted:

For White Mage do I want to be throwing out Solace and Rapture as soon as they're available so I can get to Misery ASAP?

There's no harm in holding a stack or two if you expect healing will be necessary somewhere in the next 20s, but if you're at risk of overcapping and/or you have some downtime with no dps to do, fire them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Electric Phantasm posted:

Against a single target, Misery is effectively DPS neutral, because the GCDs you spend using lilies could be Glares instead, and Misery is the same potency as three Glares.

So, it's more of a "do you need these" question.

E: Also yeah, as Orcs said, you don't want to overcap on lilies.