Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Raenir Salazar posted:

(Does this actually work? Can you "harden" the ground by pounding it?)

Yes, actually. On loose soil (and when building foundations and like "loose" is a relative term) that sort of process can help everything settle and get stable. It's very common in construction, you really don't want things to move after you've built on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are there any YouTube guides that just give the tldr on important poo poo in fights? MTQ is pretty good but she also explains EVERY attack, even when it just boils down to "avoid aoes" or "stack up on the stack up marker" I feel like a video that's just "you need to do X or you die" or "move back in after avoiding this aoe" would be useful. Explaining JUST the not-obvious mechanics of a dungeon / raid.

It's a sweet spot that I find difficult to find and one of the reasons I prefer text guides (which are difficult to find at all because they don't have engagement metrics). I can just skim to the parts I'm trying to understand.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Most professions 1-50: "Mastering your craft is about caring for your customers, listening to their needs, and avoiding jerks. Also giving this guy nice wood when he gets depressed."
Alchemy 1-50: NECROMANCY!

In the end it's always about the friends made along the way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

quiggy posted:

Oh, rad. Weird, but rad. Thanks!

Yeah, they were planning to have more jobs do a split like that (the one often cited is that Dark Knight was going to be a dps pair of Warrior, instead it's become a completely separate tank job in Heavensward) but then SMN/SCH turned out to be a real hassle coding-wise so they're the only ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there a point to RDM's Enchanted Reprise (the skill you get at 76)?

In an ideal target dummy rotation, I don't think so. It's an option for when you have to be moving long enough that swiftcast has been used.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

People get weird about lalas. If anyone goes further than /petting feel free to fight back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

How did I never loving notice that Eorzea is shaped like Africa?

We're too used to Fantasy Europe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

That's Meracydia.

Yeah, Australia is "here be dragons, no, not those dragons the other dragons" and the New World is the Americas, but we have no idea the particular shape of those regions and just have tidbits of information from the limited contact with traders or historical lore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Yeah, we miss out on the Lala floor sway, but we get the most powerful chair sitting animations instead

"Klytus I'm bored, what plaything can you offer me today?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

WHM is a bit much for flashing lights on its own, forget what other players are doing.

It's not to the extent of difficulties others have, but Holy spam was how I discovered my photosensitivity issues.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Alliance raids it's a race to see who gets to waste the LB first

If there's a RDM in the party I don't care if melee's more damage, I'm burning that thing with my bard before they do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main thing is to use *something* when you can.

A healer *can* solo heal a wall pull if everything goes right and they use their cooldowns. A tank *can* do the same with all their mitigation tools (some more easily that others, but it's still going to take effort). If both of them put in half the work though, it's a much easier time for each one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I was 90% sarcastic. When I hit the exit portal I was like "boy at least 2 easy commends in the bag". But if I'm being honest, I gave my comm to the healer (I was the tank) for being incredibly :shobon: and I would just as soon assume that they comm'd each other.

I figure the comms I don't get when I try to be useful and supportive are made up for by the comms I get when I had a terrible fight and it's only the healer being on the ball that meant we didn't wipe but nobody could tell because I didn't die.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dareon posted:

I'm going through Alexander, and while it hasn't seen a major uptick in comms for me because I'm the last person out of the instance, no one else seems to want the bittybobs and whirlycogs. Which is fine, no one needs the gear for numbers and the Gordian glams are actually kinda dire. There are a few Midan pieces I want, though maybe I should wait for the dyeables from... Savage? Ultimate?

Savage is dyeable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

S.J. posted:

I get random commends as DPS in alliance raids some times. I have no idea why but I hope they liked my glam.

I figure either glam, "that's my main job and I'm glad you're playing it", or you joined a premade which cut down the options.

"Oh man, this black mage is gonna get 5 commends and have no idea what they did..."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I will probably just continue the story as far as I can go. My friend told me it gets much better once I get out of the vanilla game, so I will keep pushing on.

"better" depends on which parts aren't jiving. ARR's main issues are that the jobs feel sparse in their available tools and since it's doing worldbuilding for the whole continent over 50 levels some of the pacing can feel uneven, especially if you're trying to push to where it "gets good". Both of those pick up later, but the nature of the game doesn't change so if, say, you don't like how it's MSQ story-heavy that stays the same even if things are written for a 10-level story arc later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

euphronius posted:

I got a a major plot twist around level 47 where an identify was revealed .

Holy hell I did not think I could care and be shocked like that about a mmo .

I came back a couple of years ago after burning out 6 years before that, given where I'd stopped that whole part was basically everyone being shocked and my WoL trying to pretend he had any idea who this guy was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Picayune posted:

It's been several months since I saw that part so I was sitting here going "Level 47, which one was... oh. Oh."

That was my first thought as well. It's not one of the big moments that sits on the psyche as A Big Moment, those are usually reserved for final boss cutscenes and such.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

I assure you if you die while I'm healing it wasn't because I was just dpsing while playing how low can it go. It was the tanks fault. Or a dps... somehow. Lag? "hitboxes"

Rezzing tanks when they die is more mana efficient than casting healing spells the whole time they're alive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Relyssa posted:

I for one am glad that raids are not multi-hour affairs like they were in WoW and such. I don't have the energy for that sort of thing anymore and it's nice that the endgame group content is relatively accessible.

I enjoy the existence of Blackrock Spire/Depths as these big areas you kinda find your own way through as a dungeon run, but man those got tedious. Have to plan out with the group where you're actually going, someone would need "just one thing" on a detour early on and then they'd leave...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

#31's the last one I have to do, and I think I *can* do it, but the prep and headspace to do it has eluded me for like almost a year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alxprit posted:

You can do it. I did it, and that was with time pressure.

Yeah, just every time I sit down I think "not in the mood, I'll do it later."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Ranged DPS: Machinist (currently the worst DPS job in the game)

Just wanna jump on this quick to avoid misconceptions: Bard and Dancer borrow power on DPS meters from buffing other players. MCH is a "selfish" ranged DPS who does their own thing. "Worst dps" is only when you assume that the other ranged dps have optimal party members, and they'll be fine if you're running with a more typical bunch of jokers.

Everybody's pretty dang close anyway compared to other games, unless you're minmaxing for enrage timers. This isn't one of those games where somebody's doing half the DPS they should, it's only early in a savage tier when you're fighting tightly tuned bosses with last tier's gear that anyone's really gonna notice. After that "replace X with Y" is usually a secondary concern to "how about you stop dying before we worry about that?" Aside from the Range Tax anyway (melee dps do more damage because they're assumed to have less uptime while dodging mechanics, new designs lately have greatly cut back on that limitation), and they're looking at changing that in 6.3.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

BRD has a ton of mobility, a set of 2 minute buff moves that make you triple tap a boss for a crapton of damage, a fairly fluid "rotation" of sorts which is more like hitting buttons when they come up while weaving around your base attack, and when you get bored you can whip out your flute and annoy your raid group with lahee

Can't use perform in raids, unfortunately.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

W-well you can annoy them back at the fc house!

And I do! Clumsily figuring your way around the controller is the only way, people who use MIDI player mods are cowards who only deserve credit if they at least coded the MIDI themselves.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 12, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tekopo posted:

The worst I've ever seen someone say in a PF for Savages has been "I don't think this party will clear today" and immediately leave.

Something I've seen in the last couple of weeks is "this group isn't ready for clear/progpoint/whatever" which tries to hide the same idea behind an excuse of being an objective judge. Usually said by the person who's screwing it up. It feels like a switch flipped and folks started using it so maybe it's a meme of some jerk party member and the people using it completely miss the irony.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 12, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

iPodschun posted:

I don't particularly agree with the last part but do agree with the first. Bard only has two songs at level 50 which is absolute garbage, to include another example to what's already been mentioned.

There's so much content that syncs you to 50 that job playability at that level should be addressed; there's the three MSQ roulette duties, the most likely alliance raid roulette duties, up to 12 trials based on unlocks, and however many post-ARR dungeons there are.

It's come up a couple of times and everybody puts the marker in different places, but generally somewhere between 50 and 70 is when jobs are complete enough that you can really feel the shape of them. It would be nice if they could figure out what each job needed for that and got them to hit it at 50. All three bard songs, the full Dragoon combo chain, move some of Warrior's self-heals lower, not a full toolkit but the basic skeleton that other stuff fits around.

It would be a lot of WORK and some people would find things to complain about, but it would be nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Every time someone says "Wow, it's the Azure Dragoon!" and he replies along the lines of "another one, anyway" makes doing the job quests worth it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Doing the new Cape Westwind and finale duties was absolutely worth sprinting through a chapter of NG+

They did Captain Shieldarms a solid, his fight is great now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just do what I did when I came back to the game after burning out years ago: pretend your WoL has face-blindness and is just trying to play along when someone says "nice to see you again" or "it's so sad that Billy got sat on by a malboro, you had such a history together."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

quiggy posted:

Alright how am I supposed to get a party together for the Singularity Reactor :negative:

queue up for it and let the servers do the work?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

The samurai stuff from those raids is fully sick in the abstract but I just couldn't tolerate the clipping on the big shoulders on the chest for DRK. Maybe I'll go back to it...it's so cool to be more samurai than SAM.

I want the Anemos versions of some job 70 gear, because those are the dyable versions. Can I get those with a quick trip in Eureka or am I in for a long haul? Never even unlocked Eureka.

"looks good in screenshots" and "looks good in motion" are two separate things for glams that only overlap by coincidence or a lot of effort.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'd personally love to see the capstone dungeon roulette get split in half next expansion. Also to see Crystal Tower get its own roulette so I can never do it again.

I get the sentiment, but I think you've missed the point of roulettes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Incidentally my biggest ARR quest disappointment is that Archer leads to bard. The final quests for archer are very well staged, in terms of cinematography, and come off as a component episode from an action tv show. And then I'll be a performer, a minstrel? I didn't really mentally sign on to become a Bard, so I'm just going to let the class go..

If it helps there's still a lot of archery in the Bard job. You're keeping (eventually) three songs rolling over the rest of the stuff you're doing, but the rest of the stuff you're doing is shooting arrows of various types. Including my personal favourite, Refulgent Arrow. Right out of your robot anime of choice.

But if the name's a dealbreaker for you, fair enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

All Warriors of Light canonically love playing WElcome to the Black Parade on trumpet in the middle of Limsa, sorry but that's the hard truth.

Freefalling at the Midsummer jumping puzzle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So I just did the quest "The Parting Glass".

That was, uh, some quest.

Good news is that I might actually be able to start Heavensward before the end of the year. What I'm wondering though is if there's consequence in returning to Ul'dah, apart from the game and the story not totally meshing. That's where I have my free home teleport set for, so I'm wondering if maybe I should temporarily change it to [spoiler]Ishgard when it becomes available.

no consequence. Guards make comments like "I heard what happened. They say I have to arrest you, but I'm far too busy standing here to have seen anything".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Impossible. My retainers are loaded up already with ten thousand Dungeon Jewelry of ClassType. I really liked it better in ARR/HW content where jewelry was All Classes so I had no need whatsoever to keep around five of the exact same drat necklace...

Those are so easy to get that unless you're collecting something for glamour it's better to focus on what you're leveling right now. Gear stats add up but just leveling through dungeons and then upgrading with tomestones at 50/60/etc will keep you going with an occasional weapon from the marketboard or filling some gap that shows up by chance.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, for tank/DPS
--Damage beats everything
--main stats beat substats
--red materia substats are kiiiiiiiinda equal, and skill speed is weird (some jobs like it, some hate it, and some have weird breakpoints)

Just use Bigger Number until endgame, then start caring about substat balancing (even the skill speed shenanigans isn't worth worrying about until then). You only need to worry about the edge cases if doing week 1 savage raiding and have mastered the rest of your job's mechanics.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 9, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It's always funny to me the WoD still holds true the ABC mantra. It hasn't mattered in several years. Anyone yelling at anyone else in there for anything should be pitied they care about something so trivial.

Tanks/healers it helps divide roles, since you need at least two tanks doing different things. Aside from that I go with "if you know how to Belly, go Belly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I remember my early WoD runs where I didn't know if you held onto the chain too long it would time out. Queue nearly leaving the instance in embarrassment.

First time I grabbed the chains... I swear the interaction point didn't exist. Ever since then I've wondered if I forgot to check the other side of the dog.