Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
It's so bad the localizers put in lines pointing out how dumb it is, and that lampshade hanging is the one bright spot of the whole 50-60 questline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Like Clockwork posted:

it's definitely possible to do unwinnable fights in a way that doesn't totally suck but I'm utterly unconvinced that FF14 is capable of making them at this point.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the first Ran'jit fight should have ended with him getting sick of you dodging everything, and putting a line stack marker on your wounded friends that you have to take (and get knocked out in the process) or else fail the fight (because the Scions are dead). And afterwards, it's made very clear that Ran'jit (who has spent the better part of a century being very good at not dying to things stronger than he is) will not stay and fight you if you challenged him again, since he knows you're stronger than him and thus would just run, but you also can't fight him around your more vulnerable friends or he'll just repeat the same trick. Thus you have to run from him...until you manage to force him to fight you at the end of his storyline.

Thus, Ran'jit is portrayed as not stronger than inhuman combat monster Zenos, but he's just as dangerous because he doesn't fight fair.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 23, 2022

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GloomMouse posted:

Yeah it's fine to have the WoL lose the occasional battle, but having the bad guy just be inexplicably stronger today is kinda bad. Using the normal mechanic markers and requiring you to 'resolve' them wrong. Introducing a new marker (which will be used that xpac) to illustrate a trick the WoL doesn't know. Have the bad guy do bad guy things.
The new Lahabrea fight at the end of ARR is a perfect example of that. You get thrown up against a mechanic that you just do not have the DPS to resolve properly and it kills you. It's great game design.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Allarion posted:

The thing with blue mage that helps a lot is just picking up the primal spells so you just have super solid dps ogcds for weaving. That said, arcane mimicry(healer) and pom cure are really good and will carry you though a lot.
Yeah, the thing that makes Blue Mages so ridiculously powerful is their burst window - you pop Moon Flute then just dump all your hard-hitting oGCDs into that 15 second window. The result, with all the Primal spells (read: oGCD spells) equipped is an absurd amount of damage per second.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

Which is a drat shame. I really like Numbers Roulette, because unlike Leveling Roulette, or even Trials, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll have at least something like a functional kit.

I think I actually like Toto-Rak less than Satasha or Tam-Tara. Without any jank or the potential for ridiculous wall-to-wall hellpulls, there's nothing to distract you from the fact that you have like four buttons in your rotation, and two of them are role actions.
They really, really need to rework the extremely early game experience. EVERY class should go into Satasha with, at minimum:

1. A full 1-2-3 combo
2. An AoE attack
3. An oGCD attack or heal (AST should NOT be the only one with a good oGCD heal at 15)
4. Healer class's regen equivalent (SCH and SGE have their fairy and Kardion, after all)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'd personally love to see the capstone dungeon roulette get split in half next expansion. Also to see Crystal Tower get its own roulette so I can never do it again.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

CodfishCartographer posted:

The secret is to muscle through until you get to Pyros, at which point you can reflect farm to shoot up in levels absurdly quickly
Agreed. The single biggest piece of advice I can possibly give for Eureka is to not go to Pagos until you are level 23. Just give up on making solid progress for a few weeks and just focus on doing your weekly logs for XP in the meantime. Anemos you can get poo poo done at any level. Pyros and Hydratos, much the same.

Pagos won't let you have jack poo poo until you can unlock that second aetheryte node at 23. Because gently caress you. Ideally you'd wait until 25 so you've got access to the third aetheryte too, because the zone is laid out in a way that you basically need to teleport around if you want to hit the NMs in time.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Doomykins posted:

If you're free trial you can't use the MB but if you're not then the MB may surprise you. Some early items are valuable because they're used in bulk to push past certain crafter windows, or needed to advance the window at all.

Boar hide comes to mind. The tooltip of an item will show if it can be found on a vendor and how much it sells for to npc vendors, so even 50 gil a piece can beat 2 gil vendored. If an item says it is sold by a vendor but is like 216 gil(limited) it should potentially sell well, the limited means it has a time gate component like advancing beast tribe reputation.

The crafting vendor easy mats window closes shortly after 15-20 or so, and boar leather is the LW common material for the 25-30 window and so on. There are also many, many monster drop windows that slow down ALC especially in later expansions.
Incidentally, this is why it's important to have one of your two retainers (but only one) as a combat job, since you can send them out to hunt specific monsters, and they'll come back an hour later with a stack of drops. Extremely useful.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GloomMouse posted:

does rclick -> show recipes show everything or just the stuff you personally can make? might not be useful if you don't have the crafters up
Everything. I know this because it's shown me poo poo I don't have the recipe books for.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Max Wilco posted:

So I've spent the last few days not doing the MSQ, and instead, running around doing various other things, like trying to level crafting/gathering jobs and do the quests related to them, low level levequests and guildhests, some dungeons I skipped, etc.

Some of it (like the leves and guildhests) I did as part of checking off boxes for the weekly challenge log. For the most part, though, I feel like I've spent a lot of time with no real aim. One milestone that I accomplished was completing the Level 50 Weaver Quest, so I got Clotho and the Top Hat. However, most of the Lvl.50 Weaver items to make require materials that I don't think I have access to yet (the Rainbow thread).

One quest that I've managed to access is getting Relic Weapons/Zodiac Weapons. However, the Black Mage staff I have from the Poetics (the Augmented Ironworks Magitek Rod) is a lot stronger than the Zodiac Weapon (the Stardust Rod). It looks like I can upgrade the Zodiac weapons, but from what I gather from the wiki, it seems like it's not worth it to pursue that avenue, since there's higher tier Relic weapons (Anima, Eureka, etc.).

A few of the crafting/gathering quests have brought up materia, and I realized that I've really not messed with materia at all in all the time I've played. I never finished Mutamix's quest to meld materia for him, and I had to look up how you actually find materia (you just extract it from 100% spiritbonded gear). However, I don't really have a whole lot of gear that has slots for materia (the mix of Augmented Ironworks/Evenstar that I wear is currently the highest rated stuff I have, and it doesn't have materia slots), and the stuff I do have that has slots doesn't really seem high level enough to get a huge boost from materia (added a couple of materia to crafting gear to get better results, but it only gives you like +5 points).

I dunno, I just kind of feel lost as to what to do. I know how to progress with the MSQ, but there's fifty-thousand other things I can do, and I don't know what to focus on. Maybe continuing with the MSQ and getting into Heavensward will open doors to make things easier, but there's so many things that I have no clue about, like scrip exchange, retainer vocations, treasure hunt, glamours, and so on.
Re: relics. You don't get them for the stats, you get them because they look cool as gently caress. Sure there's "higher tier" Relics than the Zodiac weapons, but frankly they're some of the best looking weapons in the entire game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV83gom4XY

I will forever maintain that Excalibur and Holy Shield Zeta are the best PLD weapons, as are Sasuke's Blades Zeta for NIN.

The grind is a hellish nightmare though especially if you're only level 50 so you're probably better off going for an Anima weapon anyway.

Re: Materia. It only matters at max level. Anything below that you're not gonna keep long enough for the investment to matter.

Re: Retainer vocations. One gatherer, one combat class. Which ones don't matter as long as you have one of each.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dareon posted:

Seeing them all next to each other, I am now even more annoyed by my Omnilex. "Your weapon is on fire" doesn't loving work when it's a book you're holding next to your head.

And the lovely thing is the ultimate steps actually look really drat good for SMN/SCH. If I didn't already have cool glams (Elkhorn/Elklord Grimoire is basically perfect SCH glam, it's a short little book with an elk on it, like I'm reading a bedtime story to the tank) and better things to do I would be a little tempted.
If you want a good SMN book, don't bother with the ARR/Zeta relic. It's Mimesis (the Anima weapon) or bust.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
The biggest piece of advice I can give re: enjoying Eureka is to TALK. Talk to other people and get social. Ask for the tracker as soon as you get in, see what's up and organize or get into a group to pop those bosses.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Szarrukin posted:

Yeah, I get this, all MMO quests are basically "go there, kill this, pick 15 leather skins", but in ARR, especially Titan arc, it's literally "go to person A, pick item, go to person B, give item, go to person C on another side of continent, read 2 lines about some irrelevant poo poo, go to person D".
There is only one other quest like that and they cut it out of the storyline. Specifically I'm talking about that loving wine quest from the Ivalice raids (which, ironically enough, also involves the Company of Heroes and a pointless, irrelevant fetch quest.) but you no longer need to do it in order to finish the questline.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 9, 2022

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Heran Bago posted:

If I'm tanking in a Trial or Raid, hit half health, and don't have access to Living Dead or whatever 'oh poo poo' button, is it ok to shirk to the other tank?
Do they then become the main tank for the run until they shirk back?

This is all I could think of reading this post.

But yeah if they've got tank stance on shirking to them is probably fine. If they don't then Shirk won't do anything because you'll have way more aggro.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 9, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dareon posted:

But anyway, that's all my crafters leveled to 70. I'm certainly not forgetting anyone, certainly not one that hasn't even started the Heavensward questline because I absolutely do not want to source cooking ingredients.
If you've got a combat retainer levelled, you can send them off to get specific monster drops and they'll come back with a stack of them an hour later. Super easy.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you trying to imply the Praetorium speech is anything less than perfection?

The big thing with ARR is that there is jack all direction so the VAs who have a good showing are the ones who can self-direct as well as being good VAs. Like Richard Epcar.
They removed "how very glib" with 6.3, so now it will always be less than perfection :negative:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dareon posted:

Saw that for the first time yesterday, it kinda works a bit better. I would have preferred they have the WoL play a /converse emote and keep the glib, but at least this way Gaius isn't responding to us lunging emphatically.
I always felt it worked as a sarcastic response to dead silence and a glare.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Paperhouse posted:

how long does maintenance last?

I didn't expect to be anxiously itching to play and be unable to :negative:
It ended about 20 mins ago.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Electric Phantasm posted:

As someone who just completed the coils it quickly became one of my favorites. The music and atmosphere in the second coil alone is enough to elevate it past some of the other raids with their cool mechanics and dope vocal tracks.
A part of me wishes that they'd go back and add normal mode to the Coils...but another, saner part of me tells me that's a bad idea because it'd mean that raid roulette wouldn't be a level 60 minimum anymore.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

This is true. If I can find a better way to phrase it, I might change how I describe Engagement.
I'd swap Engagement and Displacement in importance. Displacement is "Engagement but it also moves you back" rather than Engagement being "Displacement but it doesn't move you," if that makes sense.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
A lot of it's just finding a class playstyle that you enjoy, really. That said, Warrior is god tier in basically all the side content - its combination of frequent and high burst damage from Inner Release and Fell Cleave and massive self-healing mean that it's an unstoppable beast for solo or non-standard content like Deep Dungeons or Eureka/Bozja. Even if you don't plan on playing tank in main content, it's worth having a WAR in your pocket to pull out for when you want to do side content. Its self-healing also means it's the easiest tank to play by far since you legitimately don't need a healer at all for dungeons, so it's great for learning how to tank properly and get used to doing wall-to-wall pulls (which is what will be expected of you in higher-level roulettes).

In regards to finding a class you enjoy, Palace of the Dead is a vital tool thanks to its independent levelling system. Once you beat the first 50 floors, you can start a run at floor 51 where any class you enter with will immediately be boosted to level 60 while you're inside the dungeon. This means that as long as you have a class at level 30 with the job stone, you can head into PotD and preview how that class will play with a more complete kit at level 60.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

radintorov posted:

Something I've been doing and I highly recommend getting in the habit of when playing healer is setting either the NPC in the solo instance or your Tank in a dungeon as Focus Target: it will provide a separate and larger healthbar that can also be clicked on to instantly target them. It also adds a targeting arrow over the focused target so it's easier to keep track of where exactly the tank is when the screen is filled with mobs during a wall-to-wall pull.
I combine this with macroing all my ST targeted heals to go either to <f> (the focus target) or <TT> (target's target). This makes healing on controller possible.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just wanna say that combat macros almost always suck because you cannot clip/precast them and is noticeably worse on poor latency!
Yeah, macros are bad most of the time, but I'll accept a bit of inefficiency so I can play the classes at all.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Of course, some classes don't gain as much from macros. RDM, BLM, Sam, and Nin being the obvious ones.
This is hilariously bad advice and will tank your DPS.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Unsinkabear posted:

Island Sprint just got added, I know of no other examples, and the tooltips have been that way for years.
Six Sided Star or whatever that one Monk move is called.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
If you're playing on controller, this video (by Pat of SuperBestFriends fame) goes through a lot of in-depth controller stuff that isn't obvious, as well as system stuff in general. Being made just before Shadowbringers it naturally isn't fully up to date, most notably there's an auto-targetting feature now that you really really want to turn on, but it's really helpful for letting you understand what all the stuff in the settings menu does as well as the basics of using a controller.

Another thing you should watch is JoCat's Crap Guide to FF14 series, which is a really good (and funny) rundown on how to play each role with advice that may not be immediately obvious, such as how off-globals work and that healers are actually DPS too.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
On a recent replay of the game with a new character, I managed to keep three (technically four since one of those was Summoner) classes evenly levelled for the entire 1-50 run, though I did do some extra stuff like hunting logs and levelling roulette every day. Later on, it's pretty easy to keep two classes levelled through MSQ experience and a third levelled through roulette experience, especially with the downtime you get in between expansions.

Since DPS queues are horrid I highly advise levelling two DPS classes with that ever-valuable MSQ experience.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 13, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bloody Pom posted:

I know BLM is the dedicated 'big loving explosions' job, but I'm now in the high 60s with SMN, and the sheer number of particle effects you throw out during your trance window is very satisfying. And after a roulette or two tonight I'll have Bahamut :getin:
While the rest of the rotation may have issues, Bahamut is amazing. Hitting a pack of mobs with enough burst damage to momentarily steal aggro from the tank feels incredible.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

bewilderment posted:

Broke: Continuing to solo when the healer dies
Woke: Walking into the fire so you can restart as a group
Bespoke: As Warrior or Paladin, pull the rest of the group, sans healer, through the fight with your own heals and mitigation
This is why I main WAR and PLD.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly I don't really remember that much about the Ivalice stuff, why is it held in such poor regard? What about the story turned people off?
Wine, probably. Also Ramza bas Lexentale being a little poo poo.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Honestly, I feel like for me Orbonne Monastery does a lot of the heavy lifting narrative-wise. It's one of my favourite instances in the entire game (beaten out by Seat of Sacrifice) and the in-game narrative storytelling is second only to the 4.3 trial. That said, now that I think about it, outside of Mathbot and the Red Chocobo (Savage) memes I'm not too fond of the rest of the storyline, both in terms of the actual raids and the story itself. The story suffers a lot from the same flaws as the Nier raids, in that it's mostly focused on going HEY REMEMBER THIS OTHER UNRELATED GAME rather than building a narrative on its own merits, and if you haven't played Tactics it's very, very easy to get lost in the references. There's also the fact that it was also setup for Bozja, which itself turned out to be a wet fart of a storyline.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

a cartoon duck posted:

you shouldn't want to beat up children
But what if you did tho?!

Mainwaring posted:

The crystal tower is a great example of what ffxiv does well, taking an inspiration from a previous FF game but then integrating it into an original ffxiv story which fits within the existing world.

Nier and ivalice just attempt to fully shoehorn the lore and characters from their respective games right into FF and it feels weird. As previously said it's almost less bad with nier as it's so out there that it's basically non-cannon, but ivalice really tries to drop the setting right inside the existing ffxiv world and fails.
Maybe the issue is with guest writers who aren't as tightly integrated with the rest of the writing (and worldbuilding) team as the usual guys?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Feldegast42 posted:

That's my main complaint! I actually think that Delita is a little bit better than that but one of the great parts of FFT is trying to figure out if everything he does is due to circumstance and opportunity, as revenge for his sister, is he just using Ramza as a pawn or does he really care about him, etc. He was a good character because he was morally gray and hard to read, but the wrap-up of the raid cuts all that out and pushes that Delita was really really good all along and he did it all for Ramza, which is really really dumb.
Between that and the trainwreck that was Misija, it really makes me feel like Matsuno's seriously lost his touch. All the stuff going on in the background of Bozja was great (except needing to have the entire finale happen offscreen in the notes instead of in-game because of extremely poor planning) but the stuff it actually focused on was pretty terrible.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah, I agree -- I love Matsuno but his style of writing just doesn't work here. Although I still wonder if the pandemic threw enough of a wrench into things where they had to cut out a lot of the last part of it.
Oh, it absolutely did, but they should have adjusted for it once it hit. Cut Delubrum Reginae entirely and replace it with the Dalriada and Zadnor with Rabanastre and it would have worked out.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bloody Pom posted:

I would like to exchange words with whoever designed E11N. It popped for my second time ever on raid roulette last night and it was not a fun experience.
You just need to remember that fire = in, lightning = out. It's easy outside of that one untelegraphed mechanic.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

derra posted:

The training fight in the preceeding dungeon actually has it now! It's actually preparation for the fight and not completely unrelated mechanics!

Also has anyone else run Aetherochem since the patch? I got it in roulettes and actually wiped on the last boss once, so I brought in my free trial sprout friends to see if they could manage it (they had just completed 3.3). Wiped a lot even with callouts (had about 30 left on the timer when we cleared it). Really seems out of depth for the MSQ overall.
There's a part of me that isn't surprised, since between the new Praetorium and Pandaemonium they've been doing a lot to make Lahabrea an actual mechanical threat in gameplay as opposed to a joke who gets curbstomped in 10 seconds.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

God Hole posted:

I got to the end of ARR and wow... what a string of boss battles to close things out. I haven't felt some of those feelings since like... the 90's fighting Sephiroth lol it all seemed to come together pretty perfectly, as I had only just gotten comfortable enough with the combat mechanics and my rotations in time to be able to handle and actually enjoy those long solo fights.

I'm thinking now is the time to grind some alt jobs and the crafting classes while I still have the free trial. I got my thaumaturge up to lvl 15 but it wasn't really hooking me. I've found that I have a lot more fun when I'm staring at a bunch of flashing lights where my character should be rather than running around the edges of the arena and casting one thing at a time. do the caster and healer jobs become more "rewarding" with that in mind? I'm afraid I might just dislike the fundamentals of those class/job and leveling them up would just be a waste of time.

I've been having a good time tanking with my paladin so far, but I've recently graduated a ninja and I am loving how snappy and involved it is. would I likely get a lot out a dark knight or gunbreaker?

I'm probably overthinking this
There are three classes I'd recommend for all new players:
Dark Knight - best job quest storyline in the game. Worth getting up to at least 80 just for the story, even if you don't actually play the class otherwise.

Marauder/Warrior - SSS tier in all side content due to its frequent burst phases and incredibly strong healing (both for themselves and for their allies). It's also fantastic for getting comfortable with big pulls when you're tanking dungeons thanks to its short defensive cooldown basically being an invulnerability button against large groups of enemies.

Arcanist/Summoner(+Scholar): Easiest job to play in the game thanks to its simplicity and large number of instant casts (you only have to hardcast two/three spells per minute depending on how high level you are, compared to BLM needing to hardcast almost everything), and comes with a free healer so you can do the role quests in Shadowbringers and Endwalker. Also really powerful in side content thanks to its incredibly strong burst phases, which are strong enough to sometimes rip aggro off the tank during dungeon pulls.

A couple of others I'd recommend:
Dancer - Another incredibly easy job to play, and helps the party a lot even if you yourself are terrible. Just remember to use both your dances as soon as they come off cooldown, instead of trying to hold onto them.

Lancer/Dragoon - Very static rotation that's hard to gently caress up, just press everything as it comes off cooldown. Doing the questline will also introduce you to the main conflict of Heavensward.

Samurai - My main. Big damage with little responsibility when it comes to throwing out party buffs, also the big iaijutsu attacks feel amazing to use.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alxprit posted:

Now tell me how to play Scholar because good god. I want the fast queues to level up Summoner but the buttons, they're crazy
Take the Sage guide and change some names. Most of the Scholar and Sage abilities are functionally identical.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

There's an argument to be made that 14's MSQ writing is at its best when it's telling what's ultimately a very simple, very human story. See: the Ala Mhigo story being at its most compelling when it's about Lyse dealing with the weight of family legacy and whether or not she abandoned/betrayed her hometown nation by leaving for greener pastures, and at its least compelling when it's about her being a destined Chosen One resistance leader because her dad was the bestest revolutionary ever.

Edit: I still maintain that M'naago by rights should've ended up the leader instead, because people actually knew and trusted her, and that it would've made a more interesting story if she did, and Lyse had to come to terms with just not being the same kind of person as her father and sister, and that her own strengths and abilities to aid her homeland lie elsewhere.
I feel like they should have just skipped over M'naago and Lyse in favor of Raubahn. Done the plot of The Legend Returns in the Stormblood MSQ rather than the patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Picayune posted:

but my haaaaaaair
Just dull the white to match the cheap white dye.