Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Let's say that tomorrow a bunch of scientists come out and say they've invented a time machine. You can instantly go back in time to any point in the world and observe your surroundings. You can't interact with anything and you can't be detected in any way at all. The catch is that you can only go back 300 years or more. This is an absolute hard limit, no improvement in the technology is going to change this it is simply a fundamental reality of the universe.

I don't care where you'd go or any of that poo poo. What I want to know is: Do you care that a bunch of people, all from time long after you and everybody you know are long dead, are possibly watching you? Are you going to think twice about mastrubating to whatever weird poo poo you're into? Maybe people in the future just think you're hilarious to watch and you've become one of their top time travel destinations and everybody spends hours and hours just to watch you being a dumbass. Maybe your botched job interviews or bad dates are must sees. Obviously historical events are going to be the big draws, but people are going to love all the same petty poo poo we watch in youtube fail compilations. Except that every single thing you or have done is going to be subject to some jerk stumbling across it and telling everybody. Would that change your behavior at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

every time i jerk it, i'm aiming for invisible time-traveling scientists, already.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

*Unbuckles belt*

*Drops pants*

'Ok. Future perverts. It's show time!'

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Only if I end up living past 300

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
No because it won't ever effect me in any way. When I was a kid I'd describe what I was doing aloud in case aliens were watching. Now I just talk to no one in particular, mostly me. I'm pretty funny.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Imagine how quaint you’d seem 300 years from now being worried about someone seeing you masturbate

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure my mother caught me masturbating through an open ground floor hotel window I didn't notice was there. I'm pretty sure because she banged on the window and scared the absolute gently caress out of me. We never spoke of it.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Id definitely think about it on occasion and maybe it'd hinder your ability to ever feel physically alone.

The last unaware observed time periods would be interesting to compare against.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I can't cum unless observed, got Schrodinger's nutz

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Let's say that tomorrow a bunch of scientists come out and say they've invented a time machine. You can instantly go back in time to any point in the world and observe your surroundings. You can't interact with anything and you can't be detected in any way at all. The catch is that you can only go back 300 years or more. This is an absolute hard limit, no improvement in the technology is going to change this it is simply a fundamental reality of the universe.

I don't care where you'd go or any of that poo poo. What I want to know is: Do you care that a bunch of people, all from time long after you and everybody you know are long dead, are possibly watching you? Are you going to think twice about mastrubating to whatever weird poo poo you're into? Maybe people in the future just think you're hilarious to watch and you've become one of their top time travel destinations and everybody spends hours and hours just to watch you being a dumbass. Maybe your botched job interviews or bad dates are must sees. Obviously historical events are going to be the big draws, but people are going to love all the same petty poo poo we watch in youtube fail compilations. Except that every single thing you or have done is going to be subject to some jerk stumbling across it and telling everybody. Would that change your behavior at all?

Is this one of those "scientific" substitutes for God that tech-bros come up with because they're still poo poo-brained authoritarians but they're also too "smart" to be religious?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
There's a book about this, called The Light of Other Days by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke. It's pretty good, shows how past viewing would gently caress up people's day to day lives and privacy and poo poo.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

also, if I thought future scientists were watching me, i'd be significantly more depraved in general.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

All I know is that the Masturbating Bear would love this future you’ve imagined, OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnw7dhh5uWQ

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Op you don't need such grandiose worldbuilding for your weird exhibitionist fetish

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If the goatman knew he would be a celebrity, would he go further and truly reach for horizon?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was introduced to the idea of having your life played back for you at the gates of heaven in church, although I don’t think this was official Mormon doctrine, when I was like 10. The idea was that everyone would gather and watch your greatest moments of triumph and shame or something and then you would be judged accordingly.

Never once stopped me from cranking it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

AKA Pseudonym posted:

they better be sending me money i don't give free shows :argh:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
OP, this has been addressed in The Light of Other Days, a Stephen Baxter book based on an idea by Arthur C. Clarke.

The conclusion is that while there will be some teething pains and many will struggle with the new reality, eventually, we'll just have to accept that people will watch us masturbate and poop. And, really, society will be better for it.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

In the grand scheme of the timelines the endless morass of human lives is funamentally just more rear end. Temporal security by obscurity effectively.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Doesn't really seem like a time travel question to me

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

actually i have signs posted that say “no time travelers” and “no observation without consent” so legally and ethically they can’t watch me

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
what if they leave you a tip? does that make it legal?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

An entire new genre of YouTubers is born: People creeping on unsuspecting ancestors

Honest answer: Yeah, I guess being aware of this would potentially change my day-to-day behavior. Or maybe I'd be at peace with it... I suppose you'd have to?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I wouldn't worry about any of that. The earth spins, the earth orbits the sun, the sun orbits the center of the Galaxy. Going backwards three hundred years isn't going to land you in the same area. It's going to land you a billion miles from earth. Good luck staring at the vacuum of space for a moment before suffocating.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Time works the same way.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BigHead posted:

I wouldn't worry about any of that. The earth spins, the earth orbits the sun, the sun orbits the center of the Galaxy. Going backwards three hundred years isn't going to land you in the same area. It's going to land you a billion miles from earth. Good luck staring at the vacuum of space for a moment before suffocating.

lol nice reference frame, FOR ME TO POOP ON

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh yeah deffo travelling through time choosimg.a random reference frame in space with no relationship to earth. the reference frame is a random molecule in outer space , ftw. for a loving clown time traveller at the circus!!!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

watch me travel forwards thru time rn. check me out, i'm doing it. still on earth in my bed??? somehow??/

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Traveling through time ain't like flipping burgers, boy! Without precise calculations we could travel right into an Applebees or bounce too close to a Limp Bizkit concert and that'd spoil your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

BigHead posted:

thank you :)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

kill htilerq

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
In my youth, I had hoped to be a mangaka in glorious Nippon so I studied the blade. As part of my training, I immersed myself in philosophy because what is a blade but the mind made maninfest and what is anime but swordplay on paper? During this time, I discovered the works of Friedrich Wilhelm Von Nietzsche.

There I discovered the idea of Eternal Recurrence.

That day, the instant I looked at the text, my entire being trembled with some pagan joy…My blood soared up; my loins swelled as though in wrath. The monstrous part of me that was on the point of bursting awaited my use of it with unprecedented ardour, upbraiding me for my ignorance, panting indignantly. My hands, completely unconsciously, began a motion they had never been taught. I felt a secret, radiant something rise swift-footed to the attack from inside me. Suddenly it burst forth, bringing with it a blinding intoxication…Some time passed…I looked around the desk. There were cloudy-white splashes about – on the gold-imprinted title of a textbook, on a shoulder of the ink bottle, on one corner of the Birth of Tragedy.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What if the time traveling perverts aren't your sister's great great great grandchildren and instead the nine legged spiders from mars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

smoobles posted:

I can't cum unless observed, got Schrodinger's nutz

I didn't know Louis C.K. posted here.