Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of really good chain and non-chain restaurants in Asia.

I love Lotteria.

Available in both Korea and Japan, and probably other places I'm less familiar with, it's a solid choice for a cheap burger. They also tend to introduce new and exciting menu options a lot.

In particular, they used to have a secret menu item that they later used for the promotion for Attack on Titan, the 10-patty burger:

I think my favorite part was the tiny dollop of ketchup and the single pickle on top. (At least when I got mine, the promotional version years later might have also had a tomato or something.) The burgers were so large, they were not self-stable and came with a cardboard stand to lean them against.
Definitely reduced my lifespan slightly, but improved my livinglifespan. My horizons and my horizontal.

I'll post some more cool and exciting places, but for now I'll go ahead and open up this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
MOS Burger

Another favorite of mine!

Available through a lot of Asia, they offer burgers with some mystery sauce and melon soda among other things. The fries were pretty good too, IIrc.

They also seem to have a lot of weird things I've never tried, but have shown up when I was looking for images:

It seems a lot of these are regional things, so different countries have their own specials and limited-time offerings, which is pretty neat!

This is probably in celebration of the Moon-Viewing holiday:

Whoa, a melon burger:

I used to eat here a lot due to its proximity to work and my inability or lack of willingness to prepare a lunch.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Melon soda sounds good. I dunno about that melon burger though

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Melon soda sounds good. I dunno about that melon burger though

I'm with you there.

Shadow0, you live in Asia somewhere then? I have never been to any of the countries on the continent, so I really don't have any info on their fast food. It is interesting to me that you mentioned two burger places. Are there fast food joints that specialize in more local cuisine? Like a sushi place in Japan or a place in India where you can get Tikka masala or something?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rear end-penny posted:

I'm with you there.

Shadow0, you live in Asia somewhere then? I have never been to any of the countries on the continent, so I really don't have any info on their fast food. It is interesting to me that you mentioned two burger places. Are there fast food joints that specialize in more local cuisine? Like a sushi place in Japan or a place in India where you can get Tikka masala or something?

Not currently, but I spent some years there. Unfortunately, there was already a European fast food thread for people to talk about döner and döner accessories.

I think the burger icons everywhere primed me to think about burgers and I ended up posting burgers twice in a row, so I waited for some replies before I just spammed up my own thread (incidentally, spam - very popular in Asia because of WWII).
But speaking of burgers, a coworker of mine in Japan once remarked he had never had a burger in his life, which blew my mind.

McDonald's also has a Moon-Viewing burger during August and some kind of sauce, and it's sooo good.
Also, if you haven't seen Japanese pizza with hotdogs along the crust, you're missing out on some top-tier bizarre food images.

If you want not-burgers, I love this place:

Curry House Coco

Japanese curry is amazing. This chain is pretty popular, and apparently they even have a few locations in the UK and the US.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rear end-penny posted:

Are there fast food joints that specialize in more local cuisine? Like a sushi place in Japan

There are definitely sushi places in Japan. I actually just learned yesterday that Edo period sushi used to be much bigger and worked a lot like fast food where you'd buy one on your way to work or something.

Kara Zushi is one such place:

They have the best* kind of sushi: Kaiten zushi!

*eating experience

Also Korean sushi (not to be confused with "kimbap", which is its own thing) is wild:

Yep, American cheese. (Cheese is huge in Korea, but really lacks the diversity you see in the West - mostly cheddar or mozzarella etc.)
I once saw a hamburger meat sushi.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

There are definitely sushi places in Japan. I actually just learned yesterday that Edo period sushi used to be much bigger and worked a lot like fast food where you'd buy one on your way to work or something.

Kara Zushi is one such place:

They have the best* kind of sushi: Kaiten zushi!

*eating experience

Also Korean sushi (not to be confused with "kimbap", which is its own thing) is wild:

Yep, American cheese. (Cheese is huge in Korea, but really lacks the diversity you see in the West - mostly cheddar or mozzarella etc.)
I once saw a hamburger meat sushi.

That is super cool about Edo period sushi. I didn't realize Koreans were so into cheese. Why don't they get more diverse cheeses? Is there a north/south dichotomy in relation to cheese?

Hamburger meat sushi? So like, raw beef? :dogstare:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, the korean cheese thing has always seemed interesting to me, considering how asian populations have a much higher tendency to be lactose intolerant. I assume its because cheese is just that good

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

rear end-penny posted:

you think that's wild? you should have seen my face the first time i saw laap at my first summer family get-together with my (now ex-)wifes lao family. it's minced raw beef seasoned with herbs and fish sauce. you eat it with sticky rice + raw crunchy veggies. it's pretty good but the texture is a little off-putting tbh. i prefer the version with cooked chicken (there is also a version with raw chicken also which is extra :dogstare:)

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rear end-penny posted:

That is super cool about Edo period sushi. I didn't realize Koreans were so into cheese. Why don't they get more diverse cheeses? Is there a north/south dichotomy in relation to cheese?

It's cooked, haha.
But I might be misremembering since I can't find it. But I do remember there being a small assortment of bizarre sushi options. I think it was a place in Busan.
I was able to find beef sushi though:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you think that's wild? you should have seen my face the first time i saw laap at my first summer family get-together with my (now ex-)wifes lao family. it's minced raw beef seasoned with herbs and fish sauce. you eat it with sticky rice + raw crunchy veggies. it's pretty good but the texture is a little off-putting tbh. i prefer the version with cooked chicken (there is also a version with raw chicken also which is extra :dogstare:)

There's a town in Korea that specializes in yukhwe bibimbap, which is bibimbap with beef tartare. I could ramble on about the wonderful world of local specialties in Japan and Korea for hours, but I think maybe it belongs more in the GWS subforum?
Basashi or sakura niku is horse sashimi, and is available in restaurants in Japan, as is chicken sashimi. And just really, all the parts of chicken. There was a restaurant not far from where I lived where they really had every part of the chicken on the menu.
Here's chicken cartilage yakitori:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, the korean cheese thing has always seemed interesting to me, considering how asian populations have a much higher tendency to be lactose intolerant. I assume its because cheese is just that good

It's pretty trendy in Asia to do and eat Western things, and I think cheese is just really good. Few can deny it. But I think the average consumer doesn't really know the difference between a gouda and a brie. "Cheese" is just "cheese". This might change in the future. There's just not a strong cheese experience culture yet - if that makes sense? Like no one is holding cheese-tasting parties or anything. You can still get most cheeses you'd want if you go to the really big places though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's only Asian fast food I recognise

:colbert:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Cheese is universal

https://i.imgur.com/xuXBTA4.mp4

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is this a rice cake burger? Because that sounds horrifying and I would probably try it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
When I transited Narita years ago their Burger King had a Windows 7 Whopper which was literally 7 patties between two buns

Always regret not getting that

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

When I transited Narita years ago their Burger King had a Windows 7 Whopper which was literally 7 patties between two buns

I'm getting the sweats just reading about it, op

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had this Google image tab open for a while, but it feels like a waste to just close it, so I'll give you one more restaurant:

Yet another Japanese restaurant (sorry Korea), Hotto Motto.

This place is really good. They offer bento-style food to go. I really loved getting food from here for lunches.

Japan knows how to do their eggs right.

Look at this:

Delicious!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Pretty sure Hawaii counts, just go to any gas station and get a spam musubi

wonderful creation

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you had you'd probably regret it more.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Youtube videos have led me to believe the only worthwhile fast food in China is to find the busiest street vendor near you and get whatever everyone else is getting.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

Youtube videos have led me to believe the only worthwhile fast food in China is to find the busiest street vendor near you and get whatever everyone else is getting.

Teh stinky tofu from a food cart is the best

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Coco Ichibanya is the resaurant chain of kings. Some locations opened up in california iirc so if you have a chance hit it up. The lightly crispy chicken with the 3 or 4 spice is drat fine eating. So fine I had to scale back how often I went there.

Saizeriya is a "classic" Italian food chain in Japan that delivers the exact caliber of Japanese Italian food you would associate with "Japanese Olive Garden". I don't like eating there that much because italian food is ridiculously boring in Japan.

Ikanari Steak makes me want to burn down every Applebees to ever exist because for 20 bucks I get a real steak made with god-fearing non-Japanese beef (you can get your awful Japanese cuts instead if you want) with vegetable sides served on a sizzling plate of skin melting cast iron. A lunch joint to surpass other lunch joints.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My partner is a big fan of 4Fingers. I think it's basically Fine. The glaze they got on their wings is really nice but I generally prefer to just get a sandwich if I'm gonna eat at this type of joint and I swear 90% of the time they're out and I end up getting the wings/drumsticks anyway.

I still haven't checked out Marrybrown but some of my friends rave about their spicy options, especially ever since texas/church's chicken changed their recipe and dialled up the nuclear-rear end in a top hat factor at the expense of actually tasting good

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Teh stinky tofu from a food cart is the best

Speaking of food carts, it's Fall and Winter in Korea - which means the best food carts are starting to come out!

Of course you've got your 붕어빵 bungeobbang ("carp bread"):

The shape has absolutely nothing to do with the flavor or ingredients.
Originally brought over from Japan, and despite how much many Koreans really hate Japan, it's seeing a resurgence in popularity as are a lot of "retro" things.
They can have red bean paste or some kind of custard as filling:

I only like the custard one, personally.
There are also a bunch of variants I haven't seen before:

In Japan, they are called 鯛焼き taiyaki ("sea bream fry"), and are basically still the same thing:

Here are some ice cream versions:

There's also 계란빵 gyeranbbang ("egg bread"):

This one is really, really tasty.

And of course, perhaps my favorite Korean food, 호떡 hotteok ("barbarian's rice cake")!

There are filled with caramel and nuts and spices:

I love them so much.
There are also cheese ones:

There are some more items up for vending like oden, but that's enough for one post.
In short, Korean Winter is a great time to be alive.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 5, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Holy poo poo, my mouth needs that egg bread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol are barbarian rice cakes pupusas?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

They apparently come from Chinese pancakes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bing_(bread)
I've never had a pupusas, but I imagine the dough - and certainly the fillings - are quite different.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Holy poo poo, my mouth needs that egg bread

They are really good!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

i say swears online posted:

No but somewhat similar. I think pupusa's are better since the dough and cheese has a more to me appealing flavor and consistency, so its an emergency backup.