Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

mentholmoose posted:

Alright, I wrote a whole lot of words on the Phillies and figured a separate thread would be good for armchair GM'ing and roster predictions and such, rather than posting like 2000 words here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017143

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1577724974533468160

https://twitter.com/joeyschneider95/status/1577134526928932865

https://i.imgur.com/MQIZLrW.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bees x1000 posted:

That's a reasonable take but I'm still mad. The writing was on the wall at the trade deadline, if they were planning on punting 2023 they should've traded Ohtani. Better for Ohtani's legacy, the organization's future and the sport in general.

Maybe they're hoping their team will get healthy in 2023 and compete. And if it doesn't they can still trade Ohtani.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Looking at a list of free agents, there are pretty slim pickings in the 1B and 3B positions, where the Cubs need the most help. Arenado isn't going to opt out of his contract, but it seems likely Rizzo will. Yankees might slap a QO on him in response.

Man that shortstop class is ridiculous

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/xx45h4/wave_and_a_miss_javier_b%C3%A1ez_swung_and_missed_at/

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It is backloaded for some reason with like $20m per the last three seasons...

That's pretty normal. Yeah they're buying out his rookie and arb years but they still usually scale them up in a similar manner.

Also this isn't the nfl so unless there are team options anywhere in there (and I cannot imagine any player would agree to this kind of contract if there were) all those years are fully guaranteed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

lol so sorry Twins but that's what you get!!!

oh no we got what we expected how could we have seen this coming

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

Not too heart broken about it huh

I mean he was a good player who I would rather not lose but literally the minute after the contract details came out everyone on the planet knew it was a one year mercenary contract with two years of catastrophic injury insurance for him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Given the obviously, fatally flawed team, Maeda's return next season, the series of pitchers with multiple years of control they picked up...

I really don't know why Falvine didn't move him at the deadline. Besides the obvious: Gotta sell them tickets. As if any amount of single game sales would have made up for the anemic season ticket base at the start of the year or prevented an alltime low at Target Field. Further proof that the new stadium attendance bump is back to baseline ~10 years in

They were still in contention at the deadline and made moves reflecting that, moving Correa would have been dumb.

If they hadn't added three pitchers then yeah, I was on the same mindset as you are, but they absolutely made win now moves that just happened not to work for various reasons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

I meant more their general attitudes, even without the domestic abuse Chapman is just kind of a dickhead and it was known and tolerated until he started to suck.

I never really got rear end in a top hat vibes from correa this year tbqh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1575608943883079681

I get what he's trying to say, but lol, okay bro. "When I want something, I get it" yeah even if you gotta cheat for it :jerkbag:

I'm not sure you get what he's trying to say if you're equating it to something you can't buy lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

And I'd be in the same mindset as you, except the two meaningful pitchers both had multiple years of control, as did Gray and Paddack in the spring. Fullmer and Leon were the rentals and nothing of note was given up for them. Moving Correa for nearterm help wouldn't have gone totally against the grain.

I dunno man I think you're just heavily jaded by hindsight in this one

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Twins right there in the AL Central division race (if not leading it) by the time the deadline came around? Hindsight and all, but they would have been blasted if they traded away their best player.

Yes. I don't know what Paracidias' point is in that last post. I was saying the same stuff then too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Think they were a game or two back but fangraphs has them as a coinflip for playoffs as of 8/1

They were leading the division on 8/2 by a game over Cleveland and 2 over the White Sox

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

In defense of Paracaidas, the trade Correa crowd was alive and well back in July. It was, and still is, a stupid notion imo though. The Twins FO were even asked about it and were basically like 'why the gently caress would we trade him!?!?'

The fanbase is just kind of broken, completely unable to believe in the upside of a Twins team. They could go out there and win 100 games with the best rotation in baseball and nobody is going to truly care until they win a playoff series. And that attitude means a middling team struggling to run away with the AL Central was counted out by even well reasoning fans in July. There's no evidence of Twins Devil Magic to inspire hope. Thus trading Correa becomes a serious consideration in some minds, and the disastrous string of injuries that effectively ended their season was inevitable, rather than just unfortunate.

The "Trade Correa" logic was based on them not getting enough pitching at the deadline because even the optimists among us didn't think they would go out and get as much pitching as we thought we needed.

But then they did so it was like "oh drat, cool, glad we kept him then."

And then...well we all know the rest :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

That makes sense, but it's a bit of a misread of this FO. They've generally been active at the deadline, in the right direction. They even pivoted mid trade deadline in 2018(?) when a week of poor play basically killed their chances. I think the notion they weren't going to trade for pitching was entirely fan fatigue/doom and gloom, not an honest assessment of how they operate.

In my case it was more just not thinking they had the ammo in their farm to beat out the other teams, not that they wouldn't try. I'm sure other people felt the same way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Penisaurus Sex posted:

2022 Mariners season is over so here are some thoughts.

1. Julio Rodriguez is much better than I thought, and I thought I was being optimistic. Putting aside his weird start to the year he played at essentially MVP quality level (145-150+ wRC+ and average fielding in CF). Even if he just plays at that level for the next few years he's a legitimate franchise cornerstone player and the best to wear a Mariners uniform since A-Rod left.

This is Ichiro erasure and I want to call you out for it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why would you get scandalized looks for wearing a hat correctly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh posted:

punto.gif remains my favorite baseball gf of all time.

I think YankeesFans.gif will always be the king

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

YankeesFans is king for sure. My personal fave is still

This one holds a special place in my heart because I was at the game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

more falafel please posted:

Rock Paper Scissors rules dictate that the twins would sweep the Astros

We already know that's not what happens though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

by about 3 MPH at max exit velo wow god drat

e: to be clear, because this is the internet, that is a sincere reaction not a sarcastic one

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

It would be Clemens if he ever hit a home run, but it's actually Randy Johnson.

(It's absolutely Bartolo if you're ranking (bWAR/HR)*howawsomeitwas)

Bartolo actually has a negative modifier for stealing Johan's Cy Young

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Google says it was listed for like $5k last time it was on ebay

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

anyone else surprised Ichiro wasn't on this list and had to go look him up?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

live with fruit posted:

Not really, since he came over at 27.

yeah but I didn't think he hit enough home runs to fall below 3000

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Some Numbers posted:

I would not be opposed to this, if he produced for those five years.

statement unclear, productive 5 years are the ones with the mets

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I know teams with poo poo attendance tend to be much stricter with it so people can't buy cheap seats and then "upgrade" to better ones once they see how empty the stadium is

Also count me in on the "I very much want an actual physical thing" train for memorabilia.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Universal DH delenda est.

I don't speak latin but I assume that just means Universal DH rules, because it does

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TV Zombie posted:

V: What's the appeal of the Rangers or Texas?

Texas has no state income tax and the Rangers are not shy about spending a ton of money on stars

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

No Safe Word posted:

Ohtani was up for it in utility and didn't get it over Arraez, which is a joke :lol:

Holy poo poo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Thinking about that time the Pirates forgot to update their 40 man and got raided including losing Joey Bats

This was the first thing to come to my mind too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/ToddZolecki/status/1592918853432258560

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Of course a cardinals account would think Blue Checks Matter

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

a one year rehab deal seems like something right up the Twins' alley

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Just1SBB4IDie/status/1593435439108694017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

Actual baseball news via Passan Instagram (lol Twitter). Urshela to Angels

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClHdfA8O5j2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

For a single-A arm. Better than non-tendering him I suppose and it frees up a starting spot for Lewis when he comes back from injury after Correa re-signs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We'll see who's laughing in a few months! (It will still be you)

Oh also I think the new unis are fine but that M hat is gaaaaaaaarrrrrbaaaaaaaaaaaaage

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deals deals deals deals deals

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1593761169969451009

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I don't get why there's an expiration date on hating the Astros all of a sudden.

I never agreed to this fwiw

I also still hate the Saints but I had much more stake in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Manny, A-Rod, Pettitte, Rolen, Sheffield, Wagner, Jones, Helton