Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jossar posted:

Sign Gruber, Sell Jossar, Youth Rivalry
I like this plan as well for now.

Was it mentioned anywhere what kind of stuff becomes available if we upgrade the training grounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

For all of these kinds of things, it's on the screenshots in the Coaches Reports. In this case it allows for up to five coaches to be hired via Glory which are listed there. As Quackles noted, they boost attribute experience gain from matches.

There are some coach abilities that I don't have yet and don't plan on using because the Glory cost isn't worth it, so I haven't really gotten into those because ... why confuse matters unnecessarily.
Ah, so the „5 available upgrades for the coaches“ is just the unlocking of the coaches. And the coach abilities was the other thing I was thinking of, but if there’s nothing worthwhile or other hidden bonuses there, it doesn’t seem worth getting.

It seems like the best upgrade to get (even if expensive) would be the youth academy, just to improve the quality - and thereby sell price - of our new recruits.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

My complete, well-thought out, detailed plan is this:
BraveLittleKeeper will become a Keeper.
Dont upgrade the stadium until it is regularly full.
Sell NiftyBottle when it makes financial sense (when he gets more skills and is worth more?)
Upgrade the Youth Academy with the money from that sale.
After upgrading, buy the coaches.
Continue using Youth Rivalry.
Prioritise players with the most potential.

I am sure you can make this work ;)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

From this this, selling NiftyBottle is a year off, which means that line and the next two about upgrading the YA and buying coaches are issues to revisit in future transfer windows (other than that I will take this as an endorsement of the 1-year deal for NiftyBottle).

In terms of 'regularly full' on the stadium - I think I know where you are coming from, the problem is just that things fluctuate. A stretch of good or bad form can change the number of fans in a hurry. Not that common really to just be 'holding steady' until we get much further along and have numbers well into the thousands. Just saying that I don't really know what to do with that instruction, because we could be at 150 or so, above 100 for several matches and keep rising - or be down to 50 in a month, and neither result would particularly surprise me. When the stadium gets bigger there's more margin to handle the swings, and the roster also tends to be more stable.
If it takes a year, then it will take a year. Also gives the new guy time to get some XP.

As for the stadium, basically don’t upgrade if we only hit a full stadium one single time, as that would then easily be a waste of time. The exact time would be something I left up to you. If you want a hard rule, maybe something like upgrade if it is full 3 out of 4 games.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sell Average Lettuce
Hold NiftyBottle until next window, and start him over BLT
Upgrade Youth Academy twice
Youth Rivalry

The critical goal is to make Third League, since that's a real possibility now.
No idea if this is optimal, but it is a plan and I am voting for it. :colbert:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Congratulations! I can't believe that it actually worked.

I was sure that the various plans working against each other would prove the thread title.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sign NiftyBottle for 1 year (intending to sell him next window)
Sell Average Lettuce
Sign Odd Wilson for 3 years (assuming he's taking -70% Training Time, 1 year if he says otherwise)
Youth Rivalry
Take Zoecke, although we probably need to start looking for defenders again after this
Upgrade Training Grounds and take 4 Midfielder Coaches
Upgrade Youth Academy (not wild about the single upgrade but we have the funds)
Upgrade Stadium (could stall longer, but we might as well pick up the trickle of ticket money while it's here, much more important at Third League prices)
Adaptive approach

Looking to get that second Youth Academy upgrade in Winter (if everyone else decides to sell Nifty, we should do it now!). We're in Third League and getting 2 star players is an even bigger difference for us now.
I’m going with this plan.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

What the hell is happening? How is this possible?!

Congrats, I think we've achieved our main goal of not being relegated immediately!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

[b]Sell NiftyBottle
Sign ShadowedFlame for 3 years
Build Stadium
Upgrade Youth Academy
Upgrade Youth Academy again
Youth Rivalry
Hire 4 MF Coaches, but most importantly Any Coaches
Adaptive, but seeking Promotion!
I’ll go along with this plan.

As Pokeytax pointed out in another post, with 25 points we are 10 points up from a nonpromotion spot. A lot has to go wrong for us, and a lot right for the right teams, in order to miss promotion.

Strategic Sage posted:

Extra years? No, they just got older the old-fashioned way, one year at a time, unless you mean something else., .
I think they meant that that player does not look 19.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I just want to say that you've done a good job so far, and that we shouldn't overcomplicate this thing with too many rules. I think that you should feel free to adjust your interpretation of the votes in such a way as to make the result seem somewhat reflective of those votes.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

This is a lot closer than I expected - I misread the league table and thought that the first five teams (all receiving glory) would promote.

Can’t wait for the result :)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

My votes:
Stadium Expansion: No.
Youth Signing: G Weimer.
Youth Work: Rivalry
Playing Time: Rotation.
Invest in Medical Center.
Upgrade Training Grounds
One upgrade to midfield coach, one upgrade to Chief Physician.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Coward posted:

Well I'd punch my face.

I presume I should be focusing Defence as a Keeper, bit not sure on the skill. Is Playing Out useful right now?
From elsewhere in the thread:

quote:

Olympic Kick is used on corners, an attempt to make a curved kick into the goals. Defenders with heading talent can try to intercept it, and it is also directly countered by the Playing Out talent, which is also useful in intercepting crossing attempts.

Accuracy is the primary attribute for Forwards, Passing for Midfielders, Defense for Keeper & Defenders. Control can be useful for all positions, and is always useful for Keepers and some variants of Forwards, but it's sort of in it's own category as a 'universal attribute' that's often useful but rarely of first importance.
Make of that what you want to ;)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

In my defense, I initially wanted two midfield coaches in addition to the Chief Physician, but then realized that we didn’t have enough glory to get three staff and also youth rivalry.

At this point, I see it as an investment for the future and locking down the upgrade. And money just sitting there gathering dust doesn’t help any more than a better training ground.

I mean, I could have voted for three staff, but that would feel like gaming the system.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

This was probably written somewhere, but is it premier, first, second league?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Coaches Ballot, Winter 2032
- Youth Work - Rivalry
- Youth Signing - Ebner
- Stadium Expansion - No
- Playing Time - Adaptive

2x Defence Coach

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm voting Reject for now, maybe in a year's time, or if the offer is a bit better, but not right now.

I’m going with this.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sell Insurrectionist
Sign BLT for 1 year
Sign Torrannor for 3 years
Youth Rivalry
Upgrade Stadium
Upgrade Youth Academy
Hire 1 Goalkeeper Coach
Adaptive Approach
This sounds good to me.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Resign Fat Samurai for 3 years
Goalkeeper Coach
Youth Rivalry
Adaptive
I agree with this. Right now, we only have a chance by not letting goals be scored against us. Coward still has 26 levels to go before he even starts getting XP penalties. The faster he gets those levels, the more he can save some goals.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sign Odd Wilson for 1 year
Sign BraveLittlToaster for 1 year
Sign PotatoManJack for 1 year
Sell Tevery Best
No Facility Upgrades
Youth Rivalry
Goalkeeper Coach
Adaptive
I don’t see any reason not to go with this plan.

Selling Odd Wilson would let us get the next youth academy upgrade right now, but he will be worth a significant amount more next time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Can we afford upgrading our Youth Academy twice if we sell ShadowedFlame?

It‘s an interesting situation. We might give our development a good long term boost by getting the Academy up a lot faster. But we might lose our chance at promoting this season at the same time because of it.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 11, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sell ShadowedFlame
Sell BraveLittlToaster
Upgrade Youth Academy
Upgrade Youth Academy again
No Stadium
Youth Rivalry
Adaptive/Balanced

I'm supporting this except that I am going with the
First Youth Coach instead.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

If we vote to upgrade our Youth Academy again, will that take effect before we get the newest youth recruit, or will the vote only take effect after that?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Extend PMJ two years.
Extend OddWilson one year.
Improve the Academy.
Youth Rivalry.
Hire First Youth Coach. Hire Second Youth Coach.
All of this, + expand stadium.
Edit: I think it fits? Or are we missing like 10k to do this?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 21, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

[PMJ's contract is one that really surprised me and shows how unpredictable this process is. Last year it was nearly unanimous to give him one year. This time around mostly the same people wanted to give him two even though he's a year older. Not sure what changed, but of course people changing their mind is perfectly fine.
Think of us like having the memory of a goldfish - I have no idea what I voted last time and certainly don't have any long term plans. If somebody makes a suggestion with a seemingly good argument for it, then I will vote for it.

And then you get a stampede effect where people are apparently just voting for whatever seems to be what other are voting for. You could see that happen last vote, where somebody quoted Pokeytax's plan, but edited their vote a bit and then people quoted that vote thinking they were voting for the same plan people before that were voting for.

In this case the argument that PMJ would be close to 30 in two years and that that would be a good time to sell him felt like a good argument, so I went with it.

Not upgrading the youth academy twice last time is one decision that stuck with me, as it was so dumb.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Wait a second - are you saying that we actually have to be able to score in order to win?

drat ;)

I did find it interesting to see you highlighting in the games just how difficult that is for us right now.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sign megane for 1 year
Sign KGJ for 1 year
Upgrade Stadium
Midfielder Coach
Youth Rivalry
Balanced
I'm going with this plan.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 1, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

For now I'm assuming DTurtle and AJ_Impy don't wish to enter a vote on Griffey's contract, as that part of PokeyTax's post wasn't quoted in your submissions.
Oh, I missed that. I'll add in the 1 year extension to my vote.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Sell OddWilson
Sign Baltz
No Stadium Expansion
Extend AJ_Impy 3 years
Extend Torannor 1 year
Youth Rivalry
Hire Midfield Coach
Hire Forward Coach

I’ll go with this plan.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh wow, that is a very nice pay day.

Now we only need another 2 million or so to get that next critical level of the youth academy.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Sell Torrannor
Sell PMJ
Extend Dragongem for 1 year
Upgrade Youth Academy
No Stadium Upgrade
Forward Coach
Youth Rivalry

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

As the saying goes, democracy ... or is it chaos and stupidity? your choice ... wins when more people participate. We have 13 votes in already for whatever reason. This is a record, thanks everybody! It is still a close call on a couple of proposals though, so the vote remains open.
I had to vote in order to hopefully ensure that the Youth Academy is finally upgraded. I just had to wait for a good proposal for getting the required funds.

I expect the coach vote to be split in too many different directions, but I decided to vote for a forward coach anyway. We definitely need help in scoring goals and that is supposedly the role of forwards. PokeyTax would probably argue that just having a billion perfect Midfielders is the way to go, but that just feels wrong to me ;)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Tongue out of cheek, I do sincerely see no advantage to going FW over MF on this team. You get way more XP and two space movement with the ball as MF, in exchange for giving up a small Control bump. I guess that's why they aren't considered a meta class, although I like the idea in theory. You could say that's only because we have too many Midfielder Coaches and this will evaporate when we even things out, but I have disproved this, the proof just did not fit in the margins of this post.
See, what I like about this LP/game is that I (like everyone in the world) know enough about football in order to have opinions, completely independent of exact game mechanics. :)

Obviously, there are some game mechanics to take into consideration (money, glory, upgrades of buildings, general coach effects, etc.), but its fun having opinions completely ignoring exact game mechanics for things like optimal builds, skill synergies, etc., because I know that we need to shoot goals and that is what forwards are for, so we are getting a forward coach. :colbert:

Also, if we don’t get a good forward next time, we are requesting a forward. :colbert:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

First post should be fully updated now. There's only person left on the waiting list at the moment.
In that case you might as well put me on the waiting list for any position.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

quote:

Don't expand the stadium.
Get a forward coach, we need to score goals
Youth rivalry - we need four star players.
Sell megane and expand the Youth Academy. to finally get four star players who can score goals.
Our defense can almost keep up with the top of the league. Our offense is by far the worst in the league. Why are we focussed on improving our defense?

Editted vote to youth rivalry.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 4, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

It is not about improving defence, it's about making sure it doesn't start collapsing within 12 months.
We have two one star defenders at age 28 and 27. Everyone else is 25 or less.

Our three star defender is 20. Our two two star defenders are 21 and 20.

Why should it collapse?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Because we play five or six defenders, have seven, and are about to lose one with another scheduled to leave in the next transfer window.
The number of players needed is something I can understand.

However, we've already decided to get the defender this time. The open questions are:
1. What coach do we want to get for our longer term development?
2. What position do we want to get next time (with a pretty decent chance for our first four star player)?

That second part is what I am arguing about (not in any way heated, frustrated, angry - this is a game). I personally think that in the current situation getting a hopefully very good forward is going to help us the most. Of course we could also get a bad one and then we have a useless dead weight. Which is why Youth Rivalry is always so useful, as you have need to get two bad players in order to have dead weight.

Oh one last question: does the number of stars affect the starting stats and skills of a new player?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

The number of which stars?

- Giftedness stars: no, that's a separate matter
- Youth Academy stars affect the range of starting attribute levels (which is listed) and also the chance for the player to have a class and skill already (which is not listed and percentages etc. for this are not shown anywhere).
I meant giftedness stars. I thought that that would also affect the starting attributes.

I have to say I really like(d) this discussion.

I will change my vote to youth rivalry. What we need is to avoid getting low giftedness players who hit their skill ceiling too quickly. It really sucks to have players getting reduced XP when they are 18.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 4, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Hey! Glad to hear that Layoff Pass is occasionally useful.

I'm getting nervous about a gap at GK in two years if we can't get the money together to extend Coward. But it's hard to justify training up another goalie in the meantime...
We’ll just sell one of our three star defenders in order to have enough. *runs for cover*

To be serious: We have three players hitting the age 30 barrier soonish, so money shouldn’t be a problem.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I am open to suggestions, hints and opinions as what direction I should go.