Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Coaches Ballot

- megane's contract: +3 YEARS
- Stadium: Too expensive still. DON'T UPGRADE
- Staff Upgrade +1 BENCH COACH
- Youth Work RIVALRY
- Competition Focus CUP
- Other NONE

Edit: update on the bottom of previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

ShadowedFlame posted:

If the routine contract has already been signed though, then obviously this vote is moot.

Nope, not signed yet. I do nothing until the vote is complete in case people want to make these kind of changes.

I think you know this, but just be sure and for others, nobody goes to Iceland or anywhere else unless the sale is specifically approved by a coach vote. A longer contract doesn't do anything to prevent a player from leaving, other than maybe influence whether people want to sell them before the contract ends.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 31, 2023

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Coaches Ballot

- megane's contract I vote for a three-year extension.
- Stadium I vote no on stadium expansion.
- Staff Upgrade I vote for a Bench Coach.
- Youth Work I vote no on rivalry. I'd rather save our glory for coaching upgrades, it looks like it's going to keep getting super expensive.
- Competition Focus I vote for cup focus.

E: Edit to add giving Kyoon Griffy Jr a three-year contract.[/b[

And Strategic Sage, I am changing my mind about my specialization. [b]Please make me an MF focusing on passing.

Time to roll the dice on slide tackle!

As far as specialization levels go, I'm happy to tell you my choice again once we get there, but I'm planning on snagging for my first four: 30% xp boost, level 3 skill trainable, skill time reduction, and stamina improvement. The exact order will depend on how long it takes me to get level one or two in layoff pass and what my second trainable skill is, but probably the order above.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 31, 2023

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Strategic Sage posted:

Nope, not signed yet. I do nothing until the vote is complete in case people want to make these kind of changes.

I think you know this, but just be sure and for others, nobody goes to Iceland or anywhere else unless the sale is specifically approved by a coach vote. A longer contract doesn't do anything to prevent a player from leaving, other than maybe influence whether people want to sell them before the contract ends.

Oh, I know this. It was just a cheeky nod at club history, haha.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
- megane's contract compelled by a three year extension
- Stadium let's upgrade might as well make some money off them fans
- Staff Upgrade add another second youth coach
- Youth Work keep mashing the rivalry button
- Competition Focus let's focus on silverware with the cup
- Other i like the ideal of giving me a three year deal

edit: oh yeah hook my man up with additional RF to try to complete the last level there, and then switch him over to Cannon Shot whenever he's done

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 31, 2023

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SS, what's the stat used to make tackle/press attempts if you don't have a relevant skill? Defense? (Resisted by control?) (also edited prior vote to give KGJr a 3-yr contract)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I see Kyoon is about to develop a skill in a few weeks. Will we get a bargain if we extend him for 3 years now?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Quackles posted:

I see Kyoon is about to develop a skill in a few weeks. Will we get a bargain if we extend him for 3 years now?

That's a judgement call. He's about to get his second skill level; the third one is the big jump which is why those are always marked as 'critical'. Which length of contract is better depends on how much he improves in the next couple years (attribute levels and SL), when his third skill eventually falls into place, etc. Some of that is predictable based on giftedness and how many specialization levels a player is likely to pick up, some of it unknown (injuries, what the next skill pick is, how much he ends up playing, how well the club does, and so forth).

How's that for vague?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Megane: punt until the next window. It's unusual, but I think we need to either give him a full extension in six months (so as to longer benefit from his L3 skill) or, frankly, see if he doesn't get injured any time soon. A month out would mean we can extend him a year and then extend him just before the skill up.
Stadium: upgrade. We have almost twice as many fans as we have capacity. Time to stop letting money walk away.
Youth Work: Request Defender. Looking over the stats, defence is the one area where we lack highly-gifted players, and we need to start preparing a replacement for PMJ.
Hire a Bench Coach. Yeah, let's give the backups at least some experience while they wait. We have enough of a rotation where it should not be that impactful, but might as well.
Competition Focus: Cup. This might well be the last season we have a chance to raise the Prestige Cup (First League plays in the National Cup), and I think we all agree we'd be remiss not to have that piece of silverware in the cabinet.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Arcturas posted:

what's the stat used to make tackle/press attempts if you don't have a relevant skill? Defense? (Resisted by control?)

This keeps coming up; sounds like I need to adjust some things possibly in the Coaches Corner post although I'm pretty sure it was covered in the early matches.

- Defense for tackling, resisted by control. Hold improves control for the next turn.

- One does not 'attempt' to press, you just do it. Similarly to a short pass with no defender in between, dribbling, or moving to an adjacent unoccupied tile, pressing always works. No attribute is necessary, it just costs an action except for the classes that do it for free.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Tevery Best posted:

Youth Work: Request Defender. Looking over the stats, defence is the one area where we lack highly-gifted players, and we need to start preparing a replacement for PMJ.

One small point of clarification; Nea is replacing PMJ basically, unless you are thinking of a second fullback.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote to extend Megane and Kyoon's contracts by 3 years.

Let's not expand the stadium. We should save the money for later (read: the next Youth Academy thingy). Yeah, I know, I know.

We should focus on the cup, and I do like the idea of getting a bench coach as our roster grows. We can boost the chief physician next time, maybe.

Finally, let's roll the dice with youth rivalry.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Sign megane for 1 year
Sign KGJ for 1 year
Upgrade Stadium
Midfielder Coach
Youth Rivalry
Balanced

Fine, fine, so we need more than eleven players. Who knew?! Still not super happy about keeping 1* players with declining value around. The Universal classes who can keep training skills for value and are flexible to use can stay but I want to sell the rest whenever possible. As soon as we get another CD megane is on borrowed time.

Junior says he's training Level 3 Rainbow Feint which will not be done before next year. I think it's better to sign the three-year deal then because it further delays when we have to pay him the big, big bucks.

MF Coach
Just lol if you expect me not to be back on my bullshit after we run a 4-5-1 and sign a 3* midfielder. Getting +20% XP for 3-5 players, almost all of which are 2+ stars, is better than any alternative.

Youth Rivalry
We no longer need this to avoid 1* players and the math is slightly less favorable so it's not mandatory. I still think rolling the dice on more stars is the best move though.

Pokeytax (differs from what is currently noted)
1) Level Three Skill Trainable
2) -70% Training Time
3) Fan Favorite Glory Bonus

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 31, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Sign megane for 1 year
Sign KGJ for 1 year
Upgrade Stadium
Midfielder Coach
Youth Rivalry
Balanced
I'm going with this plan.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 1, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Strategic Sage posted:

This keeps coming up; sounds like I need to adjust some things possibly in the Coaches Corner post although I'm pretty sure it was covered in the early matches.

- Defense for tackling, resisted by control. Hold improves control for the next turn.

- One does not 'attempt' to press, you just do it. Similarly to a short pass with no defender in between, dribbling, or moving to an adjacent unoccupied tile, pressing always works. No attribute is necessary, it just costs an action except for the classes that do it for free.

Is slide tackle a range thing then? like normal tackle can only get next to you, slide gets 1 tile away or something?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Strategic Sage posted:

One small point of clarification; Nea is replacing PMJ basically, unless you are thinking of a second fullback.

That's actually correct! I still think we need defenders. We could use a sweeper, Torannor and megane also aren't looking all that hot anymore... So my vote stands unchanged.

ilmucche posted:

Is slide tackle a range thing then? like normal tackle can only get next to you, slide gets 1 tile away or something?

No, you still need to be adjacent (although it can let you move through the opponent's tile, which is nice). The important part about Slide Tackle is that it is a skill, and so only cares about your Skill Potential (a largely fixed value dependent on your Giftedness which slowly decreases as you gain fatigue) and your target's Skill Potential. It completely bypasses the normal Attribute system, which is what makes it perfect for tackling high-Control players who would normally be very hard to stop. However, if failed, it is much more likely to lead to a foul and even a booking.

Quackles posted:

I vote to extend Megane and Kyoon's contracts by 3 years.

Let's not expand the stadium. We should save the money for later (read: the next Youth Academy thingy). Yeah, I know, I know.

We should focus on the cup, and I do like the idea of getting a bench coach as our roster grows. We can boost the chief physician next time, maybe.

Finally, let's roll the dice with youth rivalry.

We'll get the money for the Academy much faster with the stadium expansion than without. We can almost double our ticket income immediately with it, and in Second League tickets are actually starting to matter: it's fifteen eurobucks per head. Those 816 fans that now have to watch from behind the fence would immediately convert into 12 240 per home game, more than we'd get from a sponsor, and only go up from here as we continue to win games (and perhaps trophies).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m not opposed to getting defenders and think it’s probably our position of greatest need, but we do have an excellent defensive record even with our one-stars, and I think we should continue to roll BPA. They will have the most sell on value.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

ilmucche posted:

Range is the same. You can slide tackle and take the ball on the tile on the other side of the player you are taking it away from which is one difference, but to start the slide tackle you have to be adjacent just like a normal tackle.

The distinction that I think is getting missed here is between normal actions and skills/talents. They just don't work the same.

Normal actions come in two flavors; one flavor is automatic ones which always work. Dribbling into open space, switching positions with an adjacent teammate, kick the ball out of play, pressing, holding, etc. The other flavor is actions where you have to win an attribute battle against the opponent. Shooting through defenders or the keeper, passing through defenders, dribbling into a spot where a defender is, regular tackles, heading, and so on.

Skills work completely differently. With the exception of Playing Out, they do not care about your attributes. Attributes might as well not exist for the other skills. It's about the level of the skills or talents involved and the player's giftedness whether those succeed. So in the slide tackle example, your defense doesn't matter and the control of other player doesn't matter. The disconnect seems to be the perception/expectation that attributes typically impact whether a skill suceeds or not. They don't.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Tevery Best posted:

That's actually correct! I still think we need defenders. We could use a sweeper, Torannor and megane also aren't looking all that hot anymore... So my vote stands unchanged.

No, you still need to be adjacent (although it can let you move through the opponent's tile, which is nice). The important part about Slide Tackle is that it is a skill, and so only cares about your Skill Potential (a largely fixed value dependent on your Giftedness which slowly decreases as you gain fatigue) and your target's Skill Potential. It completely bypasses the normal Attribute system, which is what makes it perfect for tackling high-Control players who would normally be very hard to stop. However, if failed, it is much more likely to lead to a foul and even a booking.

We'll get the money for the Academy much faster with the stadium expansion than without. We can almost double our ticket income immediately with it, and in Second League tickets are actually starting to matter: it's fifteen eurobucks per head. Those 816 fans that now have to watch from behind the fence would immediately convert into 12 240 per home game, more than we'd get from a sponsor, and only go up from here as we continue to win games (and perhaps trophies).

The stadium costs 450k eurobucks, though. It would take a lot of home games to pay for itself.
On the other hand, if we save those euros and sell a few more star players, we can hopefully upgrade our youth academy to the next level sooner.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Need to note that a successful Slide Tackle does not cost an action. This is what enables those Odd Wilson turns where he moves (1 action) slides (free) Long Passes (free) and we still have two actions to score a goal. It costs more stamina but stamina is temporary, pride is forever.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Need to note that a successful Slide Tackle does not cost an action. This is what enables those Odd Wilson turns where he moves (1 action) slides (free) Long Passes (free) and we still have two actions to score a goal. It costs more stamina but stamina is temporary, pride is forever.

And as SS was implying, the other big advantage for Slide Tackle on OW is that because skills don't care about attributes, OW can focus on passing (to move the ball up the field) but still support us defensively by slide tackling the ball away from midfielders or attackers who hang a little too far back.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Pokeytax posted:

Sign megane for 1 year
Upgrade Stadium
Midfielder Coach
Youth Rivalry
Balanced

Pokeyplan

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

For now I'm assuming DTurtle and AJ_Impy don't wish to enter a vote on Griffey's contract, as that part of PokeyTax's post wasn't quoted in your submissions.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tevery Best posted:

Wait, we're up to 800 turned away?

Sage, if we go with 3 years for Megane and Kyoon, can we still afford the stadium? If so then I'll change my vote to say yes on it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Quackles posted:

Wait, we're up to 800 turned away?

Massive Dork posted:

Fans - 1.82 K

Massive Dork, again posted:

Stadium

We are now at 816 fans beyond capacity.

To answer your question, we do have enough to get the stadium and the contracts. 25 K roughly would be left. Vote adjusted.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm voting no on the stadium even though it's suboptimal because I think it's funny to be in the First League with a stadium smaller than a middle school gym.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Uh, excuse me, it is exactly as large as a middle school gym because it used to be a middle school gym.

Nizaha
Oct 12, 2021
Sign megane for 1 year
Sign KGJ for 1 year
Upgrade Stadium
Midfielder Coach
Youth Rivalry

I'm good with the Pokeyplan as well.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Arcturas posted:

As far as specialization levels go, I'm happy to tell you my choice again once we get there, but I'm planning on snagging for my first four: 30% xp boost, level 3 skill trainable, skill time reduction, and stamina improvement. The exact order will depend on how long it takes me to get level one or two in layoff pass and what my second trainable skill is, but probably the order above.

Not saying you need to rush it or anything, but you won't see what's in the Mystery Skill Grab Bag until you learn both Level Three Skill Trainable and Second Skill Trainable.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Dumb question, but what is that Top 2, Top 3 note? Is that the player's ranking for that position in the League? If so, what is it based on, and how much do we need to spend on bribes to make Coward Top 1?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coward posted:

what is that Top 2, Top 3 note? Is that the player's ranking for that position in the League? If so, what is it based on, and how much do we need to spend on bribes to make Coward Top 1?

It can be multiple things, it's not position-based but stat-based. I.e. MoM award, saves in this case, tackles, assists, goals, etc.

I'm also just going to say it's hard to be clear on what people are voting for when you say things like 'I'll go with what they said' and then the bolded items in what you post are not actually the same as the proposal you are referring to.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

For now I'm assuming DTurtle and AJ_Impy don't wish to enter a vote on Griffey's contract, as that part of PokeyTax's post wasn't quoted in your submissions.
Oh, I missed that. I'll add in the 1 year extension to my vote.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Arcturas posted:

I'm planning on snagging for my first four: 30% xp boost, level 3 skill trainable, skill time reduction, and stamina improvement. The exact order will depend on how long it takes me to get level one or two in layoff pass and what my second trainable skill is, but probably the order above.

Adding on to what PokeyTax said, you actually won't have level 3 skill trainable as an option in this plan. If you stayed at AM, level 2 skill trainable would come first. Since you are a MF now, you don't have that period; it's just First Skill Trainable and Second Skill Trainable since you have another skill to potentially fit in there. I should also point out that you have L1 Layoff Pass already, and won't know how long the next level takes until you unlock training it, so ... yeah. If you want to clarify any of this fine, if you want to wait, fine also. For now I'm just putting you down for MF and then the XP boost.

If any of this is confusing, the Specialization Trees section of the Coaches Corner covers it with pictures, showing the difference between Universal/Focused classes in how this works.

Arcturas posted:

I'm voting no on the stadium even though it's suboptimal because I think it's funny to be in the First League with a stadium smaller than a middle school gym.

Downgrades aren't possible, but if enough people wanted it we could just ... stay where we are on the stadium all the way through Premier League and beyond. I'm guessing that's not the way it'll go though. .

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 1, 2023

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Adding on to what PokeyTax said, you actually won't have level 3 skill trainable as an option in this plan.

Thanks, all. I got the two pictures confused when I looked back at that post. Still xp first, I think.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

megane's contract : Extend 2 years

Stadium upgrade: YES

Staff Upgrade: 1 Bench Coach

I really want a Head Physio, but the benefit of going from nothing to 10% growth is massive over the career of our players. Now that we have a bench and higher-star players, we need this.

Youth Work: No on Youth Rivalry

There's a small risk, but at this point I think we'll be better off saving the glory so we can get another staff upgrade sooner.

Competition Focus: Cup

We really need to have a prettier trophy in there, and this is also the most likely way to get at least something out of our sponsor.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Out of curiosity, does the game make someone team captain? Apologies if I have missed that.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Captains are not a thing.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Voting Results

megane - 5 for 3-year extension, 1 for 2 years, 4 for 1 year, 1 for punt (do nothing)
Stadium Expansion - 9 in favor, 2 against
Staff Upgrade - 5 for Bench Coach, 4 for Midfielder Coach, 1 for Head Physio, 1 for Second Youth Coach
Youth Work - 8 for Youth Rivalry, 2 for Saving the Glory, 1 for Request Defender
Competition Focus - 7 for Cup, 3 for Balanced, 1 abstain
Kyoon Griffey Jr. - 5 for 3-year extension, 2 for 1 year, 4 abstain

Interestingly nothing was unanimous which definitely breaks with recent trends. Overall it was the most divided ballot in recent memory. Strong majorities though in favor of Cup Focus, Expanding the Stadium and Youth Rivalry. The other three were determined by a single vote:

- megane is given a 3-year extension, with 1 year coming in second
- Bench Coach narrowly chosen over Midfielder Coach on the staff side
- Kyoon Griffey Jr. will get a 3-year deal instead of the default 1.

- The Stadium is increased to 1.5 stars at a cost of 450k, making the new capacity 2000. The next boost will take it to 5000, at the price of 1.5 million. That's a hefty chunk of change.

- Our first Bench Coach boosts experience earnings to 10% for players on the 7-man substitute roster. This makes us fully equal to a typical Amateur League club in that department. The next staff upgrade will cost 183 Glory. After pulling the trigger on Youth Rivalry, we have 74 Glory left.

- 35.5 K Money is left after doing all of the contracts, the lowest amount we've had in a while. Club cash isn't there to look pretty though; we'll see how these latest investments perform.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

2.2 Backpfeifengesichter @ Kaiserslautern
Prestige Cup Quarterfinals, 1st Leg

We have snow for this match, which has been deemed important by the powers that be. They challenge PokeyTax at the start and fail, the usual Odd Wilson to Kyoon Griffey Jr. play commences and he scores after a poor effort by GK Kleitsch to defend the precision shot. Couldn't have begun any better for us. I play it a bit safe on the next turn instead of burning a bunch of energy from our top players. They are unable to threaten, but end the half with a motivated AM.

megane in for Nizaha, shifting PokeyTax up to DM, all for fatigue reasons. Nea in for Torrannor also. We should be able to hold them off up a goal and kicking off to start. Dragongem draws a penalty to start the second half, and it looks like Kleitsch has a bead on the conversion by Griffey but he dives high instead of low. A long power shot by their motivated AM gets all the way through, earning Kaiserslautern a corner.

Snow always looks cool. Also, they set up for a corner so we do the only thing we can do, positioning PokeyTax as close as possible to intercept and hope for the best. CD Guth opposite him, and RF Kumblin in the middle both have L2 Head Play. The pass is easily made, Guth outjumps PokeyTax easily, and it's 55-45 on the roll to score. Good thing we got that penalty. Dragongem loses it on the break-in, and they ... stall? They do now they are the ones losing, right??

After pondering, I run PotatoManJack all the way up the wing to tackle it away. I don't think they have the passing skills to take advantage of him leaving his post. I am correct. We could have set up Dragongem for a scoring opportunity on our last turn, but up a goal with four minutes left, it's not worth tiring him out. Sorry pal. Greater good and all that. Quackles keeps a final long-distance shot from getting through, and we take the first leg.

Griffey earns MoM.

Showing the fruits of our Bench Coach's labor. Without them, the bottom four players would get nothing and some of the others would get a little less. Also, that moment when you're Man of the Match (Griffey) but others get over 3x your experience gain because you're only a 1-star peasant, and Odd Wilson becomes our first player to hit the Attribute Level 40 threshold.

Four weeks until the home leg, it's back to the league for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A few months from your 5th skill level, your contract is up for review after this season and there are audible rumblings from coaches that your services might possibly not be retained. This may be your final SL with the club. What'll it be, Torrannor?