Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 26, 2024

years ago this whole event would have been captured on cellphone cameras and uploaded to the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuv1NNf3jdw

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The walk back/repeal of measure 110 isn’t about preventing overdoses, it’s premised on an even stupider core assumption that the only reason that people aren’t engaging with the woefully inadequate treatment options is because cops can’t arrest them for simple possession

The people who are pushing this legislation for the most part know better, that nobody is compelled to seek treatment over getting arrested and thrown in jail for a couple nights for simple possession, that what we really need to do is alleviate the conditions that drive addiction in the first place

Large swaths of the public are that stupid, so that’s who the relentless media push has been directed at, and when the repeal does nothing to change anything it won’t register because the media won’t be beating the drums of the crisis quite so loudly

But anyway it doesn’t matter because helping people get clean and seek treatment isn’t what the people pushing this want anyway. What they really want, and what measure 110 took away, was a really good justification for cops to beat up and jail people they don’t like the look of. To clean up the streets by brutalizing people with a dose or two of meth

It’s honestly bizarre when people act like this is a new idea, it’s a badly managed emotion that gets written up like an exciting new policy proposal. On top of that, it’s also been the standing policy basically everywhere longer than I’ve been alive, and it doesn’t appear to have worked anywhere

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

governor grabbin you's home

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Real Mean Queen posted:

It’s honestly bizarre when people act like this is a new idea, it’s a badly managed emotion that gets written up like an exciting new policy proposal. On top of that, it’s also been the standing policy basically everywhere longer than I’ve been alive, and it doesn’t appear to have worked anywhere

I think part of the problem is that the measure 110 campaign oversold the treatment aspect. It’s not really the campaign’s fault the state has been so slow to roll out programs, but it was always unrealistic to expect that a softer hand was going to encourage people to find treatment options. People really seek treatment when they’re ready.

I don’t want to criticize too hard though, because as an electoral strategy it worked, and maybe it was the only strategy that would have worked, and I don’t think anyone really expected the overwhelming bad faith publicity campaign against the measure from day one. It’s been absurd the amount of cynical and dishonest information being blasted at the public from all angles

He’s running!

Feb 5, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 09:14 on Feb 5, 2024

Feb 7, 2024

but dressed in CBS business casual

Feb 8, 2024
retail workers still have no fear of death as of February 07th 2024

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://newrepublic.com/article/178678/supreme-court-criminalize-homeless-case

Just arrest all the homeless people, boom no more homeless people. Simple stuff here folks. How come no has tried this before?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
https://laist.com/brief/news/housing-homelessness/los-angeles-homeless-enforcement-report-on-4118

City of LA hides its own report showing that its 41.18 code (illegal to sit, lay, sleep, or have belongings in the marked zone) doesn't do anything but hurt unhoused people. Its almost like they are more interested in validating the feelings of their donors than they are in finding solutions to the crisis.

Mar 1, 2024
statistically significant neutral synthesis thesis that covid was the bourgeoisie's final baseball game

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/178678/supreme-court-criminalize-homeless-case

Just arrest all the homeless people, boom no more homeless people. Simple stuff here folks. How come no has tried this before?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

https://laist.com/brief/news/housing-homelessness/los-angeles-homeless-enforcement-report-on-4118

City of LA hides its own report showing that its 41.18 code (illegal to sit, lay, sleep, or have belongings in the marked zone) doesn't do anything but hurt unhoused people. Its almost like they are more interested in validating the feelings of their donors than they are in finding solutions to the crisis.

These are hand in hand. Political leadership are absolute cowards and the only way anyone can see forward is mass incarceration. A new war on poverty following in the well worn strategy of the war on drugs. I think they’ve decided it’s the only way forward their donors and the great mass of middle class ostriches will accept. You don’t need very many arrests before people get the hint and the camps retreat back to lower income neighborhoods

In war on drugs news so much for Oregon decriminalization. Simple possession is about to be recriminalized and in a great showing of bipartisan support, the dems (who have solid majorities in the legislature and hold the governor’s office) have agreed to make diversion optional rather than mandatory (so rich kids caught with fent can still get diversion, but we don’t have to waste resources on poor folk we’d rather send straight to prison)

Mar 1, 2024

quote:

yase awficsir ow b in cort monday wif all monies

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with the projects? If we could have another go, would we want that? If Michelle Obama made her primary issue building affordable housing projects, would you vote for her

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the thing with projects is they get built and then get shortchanged on maintenance and then shortchanged on repairs and then they become unliveable except as a last resort until everyone is forced out and developers fight over who gets to build the next thing there. aka the problem with projects is our political and economic system

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the thing with projects is they get built and then get shortchanged on maintenance and then shortchanged on repairs and then they become unliveable except as a last resort until everyone is forced out and developers fight over who gets to build the next thing there. aka the problem with projects is our political and economic system

Exactly. Crab mentality. Living in the projects shouldn’t be comfortable, it should be a punishment for failure and getting help because no one is helping me with my housing costs. This is how the American public thinks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the largest housing 'project' in nyc, stuyvessant town, has exactly the same type of ugly rear end building that nycha for-real projects have but because they are market rate apartments they have heat and water and no mold or pest swarms while the [random presidents name] houses nearby are completely derelict.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Epitope posted:

What's the deal with the projects? If we could have another go, would we want that? If Michelle Obama made her primary issue building affordable housing projects, would you vote for her

I think the best example of what good public housing looks like is Vienna. The trick is you have to make it universal, not just for poor/disabled/elderly people. This is important because it helps it from becoming underfunded and neglected, and ideally it also creates a diverse economic/able/aged community capable of supporting each other. Unless Michelle Obama took a super hard left turn and became significantly less imperial and capitalist I don't think I would ever vote for her.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I hate to be all "better things aren't possible" but it's really difficult to imagine 2024 america instituting any public anything program at any level of government and giving that the needed ongoing support and funding to make it work for any reasonable amount of time

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

vote

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
A month ago I posted about Portland not opening the emergency weather shelters for the full winter/ice storm. A couple people died.

But in a rarity, more than a handful of people called the city council / local news. I never got a reply, but a couple weeks ago, during some bad but not extreme weather, the shelters opened up. Gonzalez (singular council member in charge of this) now has a lot of competition, with this issue coming up.

It's not the biggest win, but no one died this time.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Wolfy posted:

I hate to be all "better things aren't possible" but it's really difficult to imagine 2024 america instituting any public anything program at any level of government and giving that the needed ongoing support and funding to make it work for any reasonable amount of time

yeah lol the idea that we could institute social security (universal retirement) is completely alien to me

Mar 5, 2024

spacemang_spliff posted:

social security (universal retirement)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The answer to "vote for mobama?" was "of course not you silly goose." I guess my question was, is

BillsPhoenix posted:

A month ago I posted about Portland not opening the emergency weather shelters for the full winter/ice storm. A couple people died.

But in a rarity, more than a handful of people called the city council / local news. I never got a reply, but a couple weeks ago, during some bad but not extreme weather, the shelters opened up. Gonzalez (singular council member in charge of this) now has a lot of competition, with this issue coming up.

It's not the biggest win, but no one died this time.

type of win (kudos btw) the best we can work for besides Full Communism Now?

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
The criminalization of homelessness is just a test run for the police state proper. Everything they're doing to homeless people now they're going to do to everyone else later.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
they already do it if you aren't white

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.opb.org/article/2024/03/05/momentum-builds-in-major-oregon-homelessness-case-us-supreme-court/

quote:

Momentum builds in major homelessness case from Oregon headed to US Supreme Court

Momentum is building in a case regarding homeless encampments that will be argued before the U.S. Supreme Court next month and could have major implications for cities as homelessness nationwide has reached record highs.

Dozens of briefs have been filed in recent days, including from the Department of Justice, members of Congress and state attorneys general. They joined the growing number of western state and local officials who have submitted briefs urging the justices to overturn a controversial lower court decision they say has prevented them from addressing homeless encampments.

quote:

More than half the people experiencing homelessness in the country were in four states: California and Washington, which are both under the 9th Circuit's jurisdiction, along with New York and Florida. About 28% of the nation’s homeless are estimated to be in California alone, according to the federal report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

I’ve seen people in Florida try to act like homelessness is less of a problem out there than on the west coast, although I think that has something to do with visibility based on the way Florida is developed, but interesting to see it top Texas
[/quote]

quote:

In a brief submitted Monday in support of neither party, the Department of Justice said the 9th Circuit was correct in finding that ordinances punishing people for sleeping outside where there isn’t enough shelter space were unconstitutional, but “erred” in having the decision apply to all homeless people “without requiring a more particularized inquiry into the circumstances of the individuals to whom those ordinances may be applied.”

“The court declined to decide what showing is required to establish that an individual is involuntarily homeless. That was error,” DOJ officials, including Solicitor General Elizabeth Prelogar and Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Kristen Clarke, wrote in the filing.

Lmao what is this baby splitting bullshit

Anyway this is probably carte blanche to go full incarceration— although I wouldn’t be surprised is LA/Seattle/SF/Portland/etc are willing to use the threat of incarceration as a tool to chase people out into less affluent outlying suburbs rather than actually spend the money on actual incarceration. Idk. We will see. Gonna get dark regardless

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Not technically homelessness but adjacent:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/06/nyregion/subway-national-guard-police.html

NY calling in the loving national guard to patrol subways

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://publicola.com/2024/03/05/claiming-need-for-protection-from-unsheltered-people-burien-bans-nighttime-homelessness-throughout-city/

Being homeless is now literally a crime in a seattle suburb unless you're sleeping indoors (lol)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

One clause cites “allegations of sex trafficking, sexual assaults, drug use, thefts, and trespasses in or near unhoused encampments” as a justification for the ban

I feel like the taken movies and their ilk (just the biggest name cultural product but it’s an entire genre) has really taken hold in the suburban imagination and maybe I’m crazy but the move to reclassify any instance of pimping or organized sex work as “sex trafficking” in the media really leans in hard to this and also kind of undermines efforts to combat sex trafficking as it exists in reality because it conflates it with something it’s not

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

LuxuryLarva posted:

The criminalization of homelessness is just a test run for the police state proper. Everything they're doing to homeless people now they're going to do to everyone else later.

:monocle:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Not technically homelessness but adjacent:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/06/nyregion/subway-national-guard-police.html

NY calling in the loving national guard to patrol subways

This part is absolutely deranged

"The plan would also introduce legislation that would allow judges to ban people convicted of a violent crime from riding the subways,"

Also the very next paragraph reveals, as always, this is complete bullshit spun up by the NYPD to get more money and make life worse for poor people any loving way they can.

"In mid-2022, there was about one violent crime for every one million rides on the subway, according to a New York Times analysis, making the chances of falling victim to such a crime remote. Since then, those chances have become even more remote, as the overall crime rate in the transit system has fallen and ridership has increased."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

In Training posted:

This part is absolutely deranged

"The plan would also introduce legislation that would allow judges to ban people convicted of a violent crime from riding the subways,"

Also the very next paragraph reveals, as always, this is complete bullshit spun up by the NYPD to get more money and make life worse for poor people any loving way they can.

"In mid-2022, there was about one violent crime for every one million rides on the subway, according to a New York Times analysis, making the chances of falling victim to such a crime remote. Since then, those chances have become even more remote, as the overall crime rate in the transit system has fallen and ridership has increased."

I pointed this out in Succ but that’s almost completely unenforceable. It exists primarily as a way to add additional charges if a previously banned person gets arrested again. It does zero to impact safety and just makes sure the legal system gets to punish them harder

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I pointed this out in Succ but that’s almost completely unenforceable. It exists primarily as a way to add additional charges if a previously banned person gets arrested again. It does zero to impact safety and just makes sure the legal system gets to punish them harder

True right now, but once you've got realtime facial recognition running on every cop's body cam, which is coming, it'll be open season

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Oldest Man posted:

True right now, but once you've got realtime facial recognition running on every cop's body cam, which is coming, it'll be open season

yep the actual fascism is coming from rich big city libs and their rabid dogs, not powerless dipshits in the boonies

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

yep the actual fascism is coming from rich big city libs and their rabid dogs, not powerless dipshits in the boonies

i dont understand we keep giving the cops more money and they keep telling us to go gently caress ourselves and eat poo poo while they murder people, why isnt this working

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

i dont understand we keep giving the cops more money and they keep telling us to go gently caress ourselves and eat poo poo while they murder people, why isnt this working

checked my local flyover municipal budget and cops were <1% of the budget

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Wolfy posted:

The only better thing that is actually possible is the downfall of our evil american empire. People trying to fix this poo poo are wrong, it needs to be killed.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Al! posted:

checked my local flyover municipal budget and cops were <1% of the budget

They usually double as the local criminal element in places like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ted Wassanasong posted:

They usually double as the local criminal element in places like that.

they double as the local criminal element everywhere