Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

"What it felt like to live through the collapse of communism and democracy."
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ke600MgW1F0

Adam Curtis is back with another documentary TV series. I haven't watched it yet but I'd be interested to hear what he gets wrong and what he gets right.

If you are looking for more information about Russia in podcast format Radio War Nerd did a 3 part series about Yeltsin's US-backed coup that took place in 1993. It's episode 260-262.

previous adam curtis thread about his documentary tv series can't get you out of my head from 2021:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958870

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

oh man that seems cool as hell, but I can't watch it right now because I'm busy posting and watching cooking videos on youtube that I will never recreate, maybe when I find some free time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I saw it last night, some cool clips but many reused from previous movies. A little heavier on Arial-font captions and they’re mostly blaming communism and human nature. He doesn’t narrate the film like others — it’s the captions that perform that role.

It’s an ok watch if you’re into this stuff. He’s been phoning it in for years though.

e: at this point you could probably train an AI model to generate Adam Curtis movies from a given set of archival footage

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Oct 16, 2022

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

I saw it last night, some cool clips but many reused from previous movies. A little heavier on Arial-font captions and they’re mostly blaming communism and human nature. He doesn’t narrate the film like others — it’s the captions that perform that role.

It’s an ok watch if you’re into this stuff. He’s been phoning it in for years though.

e: at this point you could probably train an AI model to generate Adam Curtis movies from a given set of archival footage

do you actually know anything about editing archival footage?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bongmaster posted:

do you actually know anything about editing archival footage?

absolutely not, but you can probably have stable diffusion figure that out in like 2 years. I also do bit understand stable diffusion, but I’ve seen a video it made!! there’s stuff like style transfer and all that could refine it. so maybe it would just figure the style out.

anyway this is kinda pointless. I was trying to say it feels mechanical and very similar to previous work.

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

absolutely not, but you can probably have stable diffusion figure that out in like 2 years. I also do bit understand stable diffusion, but I’ve seen a video it made!! there’s stuff like style transfer and all that could refine it. so maybe it would just figure the style out.

anyway this is kinda pointless. I was trying to say it feels mechanical and very similar to previous work.

well, you post like a diffusing fart, very similar to past fart

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bongmaster posted:

well, you post like a diffusing fart, very similar to past fart

Sorry for hurting your feelings Adam

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

Sorry for hurting your feelings Adam

it's alright, it's just that criticicing someone for having a particular artistic style to their work feels kinda pretentious

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
by using only music and archical footage itself, eschewing interviews and narration, i feel like curtis has developed his technique quite a bit, AAA crystal level instead of pipe junkey, you know

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
only watched the first ep so far, was a bit disappointed at the lack of narration

https://i.imgur.com/6J0uCng.mp4

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
this is pretty good, only on ep 3 so far but the people are memorable

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

err posted:

this is pretty good, only on ep 3 so far but the people are memorable

same, actually. there are storylines. they are being built and i cant wait to get the cult together in the temple to see ep 4

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I really liked it. Was genuinely mad at boris yeltsin by the end lol

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
why didnt his bodyguards just push him back into that ditch he was later drowning in while drunk

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Yeltsin was a dumb bitch

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i like these films. i’ve watched 3 so far

the lack of narration helps imo. could be because his narration was starting to become a parody of itself - maybe he wanted people to focus more on the images than his voice and thesis?

is there really that much reuse? i watched all of his movies in the past year and i don’t recognize more than 5-10%

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

what was the reason people didn’t like his last movie? I didn’t see it

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

i liked it

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

At the end of the day he’s a liberal. He usually says thinks like “and then something odd happened,” where he mentions some movement but fails to look at materialism or the structures behind it. He spends a lot of time talking about liberals who try to change the system, inevitably fail and shrug his shoulders and say “I guess no ideas work.”

He finds a lot of interesting stuff but lacks the tools to analyze it. So an Adam Curtis movie sans his narration goes a lot further, IMO.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

At the end of the day he’s a liberal. He usually says thinks like “and then something odd happened,” where he mentions some movement but fails to look at materialism or the structures behind it. He spends a lot of time talking about liberals who try to change the system, inevitably fail and shrug his shoulders and say “I guess no ideas work.”

He finds a lot of interesting stuff but lacks the tools to analyze it. So an Adam Curtis movie sans his narration goes a lot further, IMO.

yea this. the TrueAnon episode on adam curtis talked about this a lot.

still, he has access to a lot of cool footage that's fun to watch old footage but curtis himself is a liberal who fundamentally believes in capital as an structural framework upon which to conduct society, but it's been ~corrupted~. he can point out the patient is sick, but he doesn't exactly question or dig deeper why the patient is sick.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Yes - his best material looks at what life is like for average people during these huge upheavals. he’s better at capturing that feeling than analyzing why things happened.

The chechnyan dudes doing their folk dances in episode 4 ruled. Just love all these cuties doing their silly dances with big mustaches

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

exmarx posted:

only watched the first ep so far, was a bit disappointed at the lack of narration

hello

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I want to marry the girl who stabbed her husband

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Carmant posted:

salmon rushdie has entered the chat

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Carmant posted:

so much of this footage makes me wonder "why was somebody filming this? were they making a documentary? can i see it?" i want to know the backstory behind everything

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
traumazone 1985-1999? is this a freakin documentary about my parents' house???

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the horse in episode 5 is so cool

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

a.p. dent posted:

i like these films. i’ve watched 3 so far

the lack of narration helps imo. could be because his narration was starting to become a parody of itself - maybe he wanted people to focus more on the images than his voice and thesis?

is there really that much reuse? i watched all of his movies in the past year and i don’t recognize more than 5-10%
I've been a little irked when he retreads topics between films. Generally he's bringing up new stuff as it relates to his current film's through-line, but is using some of the same archival interviews and footage so they can blur together. He also sometimes leaves out important stuff since it doesn't go with the story he's currently telling.
Like the red army faction stuff that was in the 'The Walking Dead' and 'Can't get you out of my head' I think he danced around pretty big parts of that story. IIRC in 'The Walking Dead' he didn't mention the Red Army Faction's big critique of West Germany's government literally being nazis was 100% true, and it's framed more as an escalation that creates the security apparatus run by nazis. He does go over that in 'Can't get you out of my head' but in both films he left out the murder/faked suicides of RAF leadership in state custody and makes it seem like the group fizzled or went in wacky directions and leaves out they were crushed, so of course the remnants either renounced the cause or fled to other enemies of their enemy.

That's an interesting take. Which of his films that you've seen do you feel didn't have an actual critique or advocacy related to the stories he followed?
I will agree he doesn't come out on screen and look at the camera to say "Imperialism is bad, and the US and UK shouldn't do it," but I think you're really misreading things if you think his advocacy is "nothing can ever get better and we don't know why"

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 14:28 on Oct 25, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

exmarx posted:

"And then a very peculiar thing happened..."

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Not made by Adam Curtis, but I saw a documentary at a local film fest that seemed very CurtCore. "Riotsville USA", centering a US government program where the police simulated riots in the 50s/60s. 100% archival footage with intertitles, narration, ambient music, all that poo poo. Currently in limited release, worth checking out when it heads to streaming.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

bit of a tangent but where does adam curtis "formally" upload his stuff?

I keep finding vids on different sources and Hypernormalisation is one where there are like 3 or 4 different cuts of it floating around on youtube with +/- ~15 minutes of runtime and even this video is some rando youtube channel

I thought https://thoughtmaybe.com/ was it but they don't have traumazone

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

bit of a tangent but where does adam curtis "formally" upload his stuff?

I keep finding vids on different sources and Hypernormalisation is one where there are like 3 or 4 different cuts of it floating around on youtube with +/- ~15 minutes of runtime and even this video is some rando youtube channel

I thought https://thoughtmaybe.com/ was it but they don't have traumazone

BBC iPlayer, i believe

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

That's an interesting take. Which of his films that you've seen do you feel didn't have an actual critique or advocacy related to the stories he followed?
I will agree he doesn't come out on screen and look at the camera to say "Imperialism is bad, and the US and UK shouldn't do it," but I think you're really misreading things if you think his advocacy is "nothing can ever get better and we don't know why"

Hypernormalisation stands out in my mind when he talks about how the left in the US just "looked inwards and did nothing" or whatever in the 60s/70s and zero mention of the state assassinating some major leaders (e.g. Fred Hampton) or even iirc zero mention of mccarthyism

just "and then the left in america decided to get high, for no reason, and stop fighting. it *definitely* wasn't because any public leaders/members were systematically imprisoned or killed by the state from the 1940s onward, that uh... well if that DID happen, it wouldn't matter, ok? they're just dumbass hippies doin drugs with zero reason. the left didn't fight hard enough to keep the banks at bay so of course capital moved in to capture society in the early 70s! anyway if that whole 'systematic killing of the left by the capital-captured state' thing did happen, don't think too hard about 'when exactly did america become a shithole nation build on blood for the benefit of a very select few?' because that's uh... that's not part of my documentary, which is about accepting horrible reality as the new normal because processing even part of the truth is too hard. also it's the russians who pioneered this twisting-of-reality-for-the-wealthy-few, specifically this one dude that putin hired."

didn't make the shitlib connection at the time of watching it but it fits

it's funny because I read that post and initially was thinking that well, curtis is kind of lending an emotional feel the material conditions and individuals who made major decisions, before realizing nope, he's completely papering over those material conditions in favor of individual stories/abstractions that favor the status quo

like he calls out the assads, trump, putin, and the dude who I can't remember that worked for putin who did a lot of messaging work for him, but when he talks about NYC being captured by finance, it's just "the banks" not specific CEOs and people who facilitated it (yet when we flip over to his parallel of NYC in Syria, again we have specific names, specific actors, like how assad got help from the named person in Iran who taught him about "the poor man's nuke")

so yeah the more I think about it, it's a very curated shitlib perspective with clear-cut villains and capital is just a nebulous, nameless Thing that happens to do stuff sometimes and cannot be helped, not like those evil individuals who are wrong and bad and made things bad

e: still love the dude's work, gonna enjoy the gently caress out of traumazone

Tempora Mutantur has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Oct 25, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
here's an interview where he talks more explicitly about his thoughts on the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663vLIYBcpI

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
where marx took hegel and set his philosophical method firmly on its feet by placing material conditions before ideas, curtis seeks to place hegel back on his head again.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

here's an interview where he talks more explicitly about his thoughts on the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663vLIYBcpI

...this is so surreal to me

the dude can only talk about communism as dead while in the same breath explaining how the USSR just "suddenly" collapsed (like how some people in america just suddenly collapse after a police officer shoots them 30 times, it was just so sudden and we'll never really know how or why they died!) and how now everyone sees capitalism doesn't work but there's just no other way

"the way is open" and "no I don't think fascism will come back because that still requires you to give yourself to a greater whole which we don't do anymore" after correctly diagnosing how the hyperindividuality of capital culture (which ofc makes capital stronger) has rendered collective action towards complex issues impossible is... one helluva take

like lol you don't need *poo poo* to become a fascist other than lots of dumb people suffering (which he also explicitly calls out, at least on the suffering part) and a megaphone, that's the whole loving problem, especially in areas like america where we have untreated mental illness in huge swathes of the population and love it so whoops just another rando lone wolf shooter, nothing that can be done

whoops just another militia in the woods that the capital-owned government treats with kid gloves, nothing can be done

gee sure hope someone realizes "the way is open" and isn't a competent fascist hoooooo boy would that be awkward!

if only there was some other way... ah well

it also sucks because his own ideology, e.g.:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

where marx took hegel and set his philosophical method firmly on its feet by placing material conditions before ideas, curtis seeks to place hegel back on his head again.

would make me think he'd at least say "drat we really need to figure out how to get people to want to be a part of collective actions again such as the way the now-destroyed-and-barely-coming-back unions did," but instead he says something along the lines of "individuality is here forever and fucks us forever... maybe! maybe not!"

maybe it's my own ignorance or misreading of what he's said but it sounds like "yeah man we're turbofucked, and there is no alternative to capitalism but drat we really need one. if only someone highlighted a way to do this. also china is probably hosed imo so don't really listen to them because again, there's just no other way! it's so weird, there's only capitalism, nothing else could possibly work that we've already conceived of. nothing."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tempora Mutantur posted:

maybe it's my own ignorance or misreading of what he's said but it sounds like "yeah man we're turbofucked, and there is no alternative to capitalism but drat we really need one. if only someone highlighted a way to do this. also china is probably hosed imo so don't really listen to them because again, there's just no other way! it's so weird, there's only capitalism, nothing else could possibly work that we've already conceived of. nothing."

Welcome to Capitalist Realism, baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ErYUeuk0w

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

that is the most depressing thought and while it's been brought up in other threads I keep pushing it out of my mind because accepting the fact that the vast majority of coredwellers cannot conceive of a better life, and will thus implicitly accept the boot upon the neck of others as well as themselves (so long as they can be sure the boot is pressed harder on the necks of others) really uh

really makes you realize how important it is to VOTE

:suicide:

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

would make me think he'd at least say "drat we really need to figure out how to get people to want to be a part of collective actions again such as the way the now-destroyed-and-barely-coming-back unions did," but instead he says something along the lines of "individuality is here forever and fucks us forever... maybe! maybe not!"

huh, this isn't my reading of it at all. he blames all of the problems on concentrated capital, and glorifies collective protests movements (the part in episode 6 with the mothers going to the front line for example). he doesn't come out and say "and that's why we need to go back to communism!" because he's not interested in writing political polemics, but he certainly makes the communist party regime look better than the capitalist one (IMO). and yeltsin is portrayed as a villain. i guess it's the nihilism that's the problem? which, fair, but i might feel the same way if i've been looking at all this history and seen it fail so many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa: