Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Believe it or not, but 5th edition has been out for over 20 years already, probably!

And while I actually really like 5th Edition, 6th Edition is bound to happen eventually. What do you want to see in the new version?

I hope they make Wizards less proficient with dying.

Item price tables would be nice too.

I really like the themed books of 3rd and 3.5rd Edition. Necronomicon, Draconomicon, Feynomicon, Book of Vile Deeds, Book of Exaulted Deeds (which had an adult content warning only because the Book Vile Deeds did too) - I don't know, I just found them more interesting than <Character>'s Book/Tomb/Guide/Pamphlet of <Things>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
shoulda made this 'post and talk about your favorite 3.5 books'

i really liked heroes of battle. buncha content in there and made me really wanna run some dnd war gaming

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I liked third edition but I really did feel like 5th edition trimmed a lot of fat and undue decision making and maths. I was much more successful getting people into the hobby and understanding their own characters with 5th ed.
Lol it hasn't been 20 years but it's probably over 10.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do you like Men & Magic, OP?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Pladdicus posted:

shoulda made this 'post and talk about your favorite 3.5 books'

i really liked heroes of battle. buncha content in there and made me really wanna run some dnd war gaming

This can always be a thread later! I've got a huge, huge stack of them - but they are in another country, so I don't feel like I could do the thread justice right now.
And yet, I only have the core 5E ones. I should probably pick them up at some point, tbh.
Did 5E ever release books on war gaming or like constructing fortresses?
I know I had a 3.5E book on building your own forts and castles and things - Stronghold Builder's Guidebook was the one I think.

rear end-penny posted:

I liked third edition but I really did feel like 5th edition trimmed a lot of fat and undue decision making and maths. I was much more successful getting people into the hobby and understanding their own characters with 5th ed.
Lol it hasn't been 20 years but it's probably over 10.

This is absolutely true. Character creation and combat and everything are really streamlined without making it feel overly simplified. I think they should keep up that tradition up in 6E. I think a lot of thought went into 5E.
But I think being able to really do a lot of customization with your character was nice. And I miss all feats you used to have.

More rules for creating your own magic items and spells might be nice.

Legendary resistances solve a problem, but I think they can do something better. It feels like just a tax on spellcasters.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 18, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do you like Men & Magic, OP?

I like both these things, yes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The next edition of D&D is coming, Wizards of the Coast has been pre-releasing bits and pieces (ostensibly for playtesting but it remains to be seen if Wizards has reformed and now actually makes product changes based on playtesting lol) and these are being discussed in this cool thread here: One D&D Playtest: And this, is to go even further D&DBeyond.

I suggest this thread here could be about the 6th edition we know we deserve, rather than the 5.x edition we will actually get.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

The next edition of D&D is coming, Wizards of the Coast has been pre-releasing bits and pieces (ostensibly for playtesting but it remains to be seen if Wizards has reformed and now actually makes product changes based on playtesting lol) and these are being discussed in this cool thread here: One D&D Playtest: And this, is to go even further D&DBeyond.

I suggest this thread here could be about the 6th edition we know we deserve, rather than the 5.x edition we will actually get.

new forgotten realms supplements written in the timeline up until the spellplague by greenwood/schend/boyd/costa/krashos/james

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Finally , in 6th edition, all characters will be Dwarven Adventurers named Carlos.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Bring back Tome of Battle. In every campaign, setting and supplement book where they would have put spells, just make new stances and maneuvers that allow further narrative control and battlefield options. Further whenever a arcane or divine spell caster attempts to cast a spell, Martial character classes may attempt to "counter spell" by using their martial focus and skill to cut the very weave of magic or their link to their god/patron by using their reaction. They may do this with any weapon they chose, including unarmed or natural weapons.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I want 6E to deliver on the promise of social and exploration pillars being a part of the game with active mechanics, and not just ribbons between combat abilities.

Give every character a role in every pillar, that's the post.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Leperflesh posted:

I dunno, what we know we deserve probably involves THAC0, Mega Damage from GURPS, hit locations, and comedic fumbles on nat 1s. We're a degenerate bunch!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I would settle for the game, as an entry point to RPGs for most people, actually succeed at teaching people how to play and GM RPGs with its procedures and advice.

Imagine more RPGs just putting stuff like this (source: Fabula Ultima quickstart) as actual rules text instead of having people whining about the correct way to play.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

I would settle for the game, as an entry point to RPGs for most people, actually succeed at teaching people how to play and GM RPGs with its procedures and advice.

Imagine more RPGs just putting stuff like this (source: Fabula Ultima quickstart) as actual rules text instead of having people whining about the correct way to play.

As someone who is just getting into TTRPGs, would Fabula Ultima be a good entry-point to the genre or is there something that is more recommended?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

As someone who is just getting into TTRPGs, would Fabula Ultima be a good entry-point to the genre or is there something that is more recommended?

Try Apocalypse World 2e. If you want to play D&D, start with Old-School Essentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Big Scary Owl posted:

I would actually dis-recommend Apocalypse World 2e not because it's bad but because I think relative to other RPGs, even PbtA games, it still doesn't explain itself as well as it could. It's a real good game though!

The real answer to "best starter RPG" is "one in the genre you and your friends are most excited about". Fabula Ultima is alright if you explicitly want Final Fantasy vibes.

For beginners I would recommend:
Fate Core (has freely available PDF) if you don't care about genre that much, you just want to be a bunch of unusual folks who sometimes get a +2 because "I Swore An Oath of Justice" or "I'm a Super Sneaky Thief" or other stuff you define yourself.

Fellowship is a game that explains itself pretty well if you want the whole "party journeys to beat an evil Overlord" experience. Also a good choice if you feel like your friends are the type to want to 'recruit' baddies.

Blades in the Dark is if you like Dishonored and magitech stuff. Does require you as a GM to be good at improvising "things that might go wrong on a heist" though.

Alternatively just go watch this video it's a pretty good intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9NtdF51GWE