Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Problem description: I have a Dell Precision 7560 laptop, and if I ever try to connect headphones to it, it randomly changes volume and mutes/unmutes and just generally wreaks havoc.

Attempted fixes: I tried checking for updated drivers. I even went to the Logitech website and looked there. Tried Dell drivers. Tried different headphones. Nothing. I eventually gave up and used USB headphones. Right now it seems to not freak out when something is plugged in, but it also doesn't produce any sound. I just tried now with a speaker and no sound from that either. I can't imagine there's any fix that isn't just "find the correct drivers", but maybe someone knows something I don't.

Recent changes: It's had this problem since I received it.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise

System specs: Dell Precision 7560

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sounds like the connection between the port and the motherboard is hosed. The random volume changes and mutes/unmutes were probably from when the connection was just on the verge of breaking and the laptop detected it as you pressing buttons on one of those little remotes headphones sometimes have in-line.
Those work by shorting wires through a specific resistor, which the system then has to interpret.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

Sounds like the connection between the port and the motherboard is hosed. The random volume changes and mutes/unmutes were probably from when the connection was just on the verge of breaking and the laptop detected it as you pressing buttons on one of those little remotes headphones sometimes have in-line.
Those work by shorting wires through a specific resistor, which the system then has to interpret.

Moving the wire or making noise into the mic seemed to more frequently cause problems, so I had assumed it was interpreting the random weak signals as commands.

I hadn't thought of it as potentially a hardware issue. That might be it...
Now that I think about it, I can't remember how new it was when I got it. It's a laptop my job issued me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've had a few of those Dell Precisions and despite my best efforts, I never managed to get the audio jack working properly without the garbage Dell Waves Maxx bloatware installed.
I would try cleaning out everything audio related and doing a fresh install of that garbage.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

I've had a few of those Dell Precisions and despite my best efforts, I never managed to get the audio jack working properly without the garbage Dell Waves Maxx bloatware installed.
I would try cleaning out everything audio related and doing a fresh install of that garbage.

If this is just a thing that all Dell Precisions have and the solution isn't great, I'll probably just stick with the USB headphones and hope work gives me a new laptop eventually. I don't want to delete all the drivers and then find out the USB one now also doesn't work or something, haha. I guess it would make meetings less annoying if I can't hear anyone though.