Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i can't see why or how. it's not the first time a car has crossed the finish line in a state that could be described as "crashing". they may change a track guarding configuration or two due to this but those change so often and for multitudinous reasons it could may have already been planned for safety upgrades before any of this

i remember from when i was very young some green and white car literally tumbling end over end across the finish line and getting third. it loving rocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

sigher posted:

NASCAR is boring as poo poo but man, this is awesome and lol it worked. This is probably going to get banned right?

This is probably the only track where it could have worked (except maybe Bristol?) and they only go there twice a year, so it's not an issue for now.

My guess is that, as awesome as it was to see one car do it, NASCAR may be concerned about a big cluster-gently caress next season when a quarter of the cars try it on the last lap.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i can't see why or how. it's not the first time a car has crossed the finish line in a state that could be described as "crashing". they may change a track guarding configuration or two due to this but those change so often and for multitudinous reasons it could may have already been planned for safety upgrades before any of this

Intentionally contacting and using the barriers as a control surface to gain an advantage should absolutely be banned, it's ungodly dangerous, however insanely dope it may be.

This specific race outcome should also be grandfathered in though as allowed, because it was insanely dope, however ungodly dangerous it may have been.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The libs want to ban wallriding

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

They sound like they're selling a wrestling move but it's earnest awe :allears:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just tie the nascar on a string like you do a lawnmower and let it go as fast as it dares, whats the problem

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Have they shown the car afterwards? How hosed up did it get?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If these rich assholes are gonna make bank driving in a circle it should be as dangerous as possible.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

If these rich assholes are gonna make bank driving in a circle it should be as dangerous as possible.

Mounted flamethrowers and shotguns, track randomly mined, one car is a suicide robot, every driver roided out of his mind. Might as well give the slackjawed rubes in the stands the carnage they’re waiting for.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aioj9NAFOVE

i will never waste an opportunity to big up the stadium super trucks series. they put big ramps on the tracks and halfway through each race they throw a flag and make everyone bunch up again so no one can get miles ahead and just coast to victory. all the races in full go on their youtube too.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

FirstnameLastname posted:

Helmets are heavy when you're going fast & it takes much less force than you'd expect when it's a head-on impact without a HANS device (named in honor of the die hard 1 bad guy)

Basilar skull fracture used to be the cause of death for a lot of
racing drivers, it's where the whiplash and weight of the helmet essentially pulls your brainstem loose

people wearing HANS devices have hit concrete walls at 180 and been relatively okay
f.ex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hW5MpdA5Cg

driver had a broken ankle after that wreck and was racing again about 6 weeks later, iirc

Especially considering there had already been years of proven efficacy of it! He didn't like it because he couldn't turn his head as much and thought it was dumb, UltraBoomer thought.

It was developed in the early 80s, and not all, but most driver deaths across all series in the preceding two decades before (and including) Earnhardt's death could've been avoided by their use of one as by then the unprotected human neck was by far the weakest link in race safety equipment by that point. Wu Was Right.

BTW I'm assuming you know this but for people who don't: After Earnhardt's death its use was mandated in NASCAR, as well as nearly every other series that was still slacking on it. Everything under the FIA requires one now.
Even amateur stuff will tend to require one if you're doing anything that's getting up to speeds that warrant their use.

This is pretty cool to read about actually and glad they are mandatory.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i will never waste an opportunity to big up the stadium super trucks series. they put big ramps on the tracks and halfway through each race they throw a flag and make everyone bunch up again so no one can get miles ahead and just coast to victory. all the races in full go on their youtube too.

lol supertrucks are so redonk and I love them

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

It’s like real life Wreckfest holy poo poo lol

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Honestly looks like the Calvinball of racing

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they should install little nubs along the wall like the kind they use to keep skateboarders from grinding

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Better yet. Some kind of feature sticking out of the walls that if they get too close it tears the right weels off

trained alligators with titanium teeth

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Literally A Person posted:

The rear end Face rule.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's the road course at :49

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Can someone explain the physics? It looks very cool but I don't know if I understand intrinsically why wall make car go fast

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Fission posted:

Can someone explain the physics? It looks very cool but I don't know if I understand intrinsically why wall make car go fast

Your speed in a turn is limited by the grip between the tires and the road. If you go too fast, you'll slide off wide, because the car wants to go straight, in the direction V here:

You can't slide off the road if there's a wall there, so you can go faster

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

This is awesome, haha the trucks look cute when they go flying over the ramps. It also gives off major npc driver vibes, like these crazy wrecks are happening but you cant really blame anyone, they just look destined to go out of control.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Renreeja posted:

they just look destined to go out of control.

that's absolutely the point and I bet that poo poo is fun as hell

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my fave part is how they go tripod on hard corners because of the mad suspension

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my fave part is how they go tripod on hard corners because of the mad suspension

I learned to cut, grind, tape and solder stained glass from my grandpa when I was a kid, and that involved a lot of long hours sitting in a basement in a house in Dayton watching him smoke cigarettes and watch sprint car racing on one of those old portable kitchen TVs.

Racing leagues that operate on sliding and 3 wheel turns are extremely my poo poo.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

MrQwerty posted:

I learned to cut, grind, tape and solder stained glass from my grandpa when I was a kid, and that involved a lot of long hours sitting in a basement in a house in Dayton watching him smoke cigarettes and watch sprint car racing on one of those old portable kitchen TVs.

Racing leagues that operate on sliding and 3 wheel turns are extremely my poo poo.

i've never watched a lot of dirt car racing, it was all touring cars or banger racing on small road ovals where i'm from. but i have tried some of the dirt sprint car stuff in iracing and it is fun as hell just basically drifting for 90% of every lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Me: Haha, where did he learn that? Nascar 2005 on the Gamecube?

Him:

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1586891434229219331?s=20&t=qdYqJ8a8vhEvcS0NVpLjCw