Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

otoh i doubt russia would have invaded ukraine if ukraine was actually in nato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

OctaMurk posted:

otoh i doubt russia would have invaded ukraine if ukraine was actually in nato

Perhaps, but that was probably never on the table anyway. It only takes one member-state to vote "no" to Ukraine's accession because they don't want to risk going to war with Russia. France and Germany were quietly against it in 2008, when the GWB administration first pushed for it, to say nothing of countries like Turkey.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

redneck nazgul posted:

aren't you from the upper midwest where 90% of your diet is something called hotdish

drat right i am

speng31b
May 8, 2010

biggest mistake Ukraine made was giving up its nukes

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

speng31b posted:

Never give up the big badda-boom.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

speng31b posted:

They never really "had" their nukes. It would have taken at least a year to be able to launch them, and by that point they'd be a pariah state and possibly at war with Russia.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

More than one country leaned on Ukraine to get rid of them.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

They never really "had" their nukes. It would have taken at least a year to be able to launch them, and by that point they'd be a pariah state and possibly at war with Russia.

i think even just keeping them around in a largely feigned state of repair would have been enough. doesn't really matter if they're usable

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

Perhaps, but that was probably never on the table anyway. It only takes one member-state to vote "no" to Ukraine's accession because they don't want to risk going to war with Russia. France and Germany were quietly against it in 2008, when the GWB administration first pushed for it, to say nothing of countries like Turkey.

Yeah, but that's libbrain thinking. The only thing of value here is the US going to war with Russia. Which they can do if they wanted and conversely no piece of paper, signed with all due ritual, is going to force them to do it. And the whole point of this affair is to have someone else die fighting the Russians.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

genericnick posted:

Yeah, but that's libbrain thinking. The only thing of value here is the US going to war with Russia. Which they can do if they wanted and conversely no piece of paper, signed with all due ritual, is going to force them to do it. And the whole point of this affair is to have someone else die fighting the Russians.

Right but I'm saying if Ukraine had kept its nukes past the Lisbon Treaty's deadline, Russia would have invaded and taken its own nukes back (since, according to the treaty, they were legally Russia's). And no government would have stuck its neck out for Ukraine in that case; it would literally be a rogue nuclear state.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/man-killed-defending-ukrainian-city-from-russian-forces-1.6644569

quote:

Farmer Joseph Hildebrand, 33, served two tours in Afghanistan before volunteering on front lines in Ukraine
Joseph Hildebrand, 33, and others in the military unit he was volunteering for were killed over the weekend during a combat mission, the family members said. They said surviving soldiers called them, and are currently guarding the bodies with their Ukrainian colleagues in hostile territory until arrangements can be made to extract them.
Jake said he was told his brother was one of a dozen soldiers — some Ukrainian, some from South America and elsewhere — who went on a mission near the besieged eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut in the Donetsk region. According to news reports, Russian forces have intensified attacks on the city from multiple directions in the past several days. The remaining 12,000 residents have been without electricity, gas and running water for more than two months.

It's unclear how Joseph Hildebrand died, but Jake was told nine of the 12 men on the mission were killed.

I think this is the first news story we're gotten of a Canadian dying in Ukraine, it seems like there's been a flood of these lately (re: western volunteers / mercenaries dying in battle). I don't know if the Ukrainians are changing up the way they are deploying the mercenaries or if Russia is intensifying their attacks with the newly mobilized troops, but it does seem like conditions on the front are changing in the last couple weeks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

Right but I'm saying if Ukraine had kept its nukes past the Lisbon Treaty's deadline, Russia would have invaded and taken its own nukes back (since, according to the treaty, they were legally Russia's). And no government would have stuck its neck out for Ukraine in that case; it would literally be a rogue nuclear state.

Yeah, Russia was basically a US colony under Yeltsin. Not difficult how that would have turned out. Unless the world ends of course.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Seatbelts posted:

Images of rations leaked from the Ukraine national guard

fixed

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Here is a selection from famed Ukrainian author Mykola Hohol.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I don't know if the Ukrainians are changing up the way they are deploying the mercenaries or if Russia is intensifying their attacks with the newly mobilized troops, but it does seem like conditions on the front are changing in the last couple weeks.

maybe they’ve gone back to the tried and true tactic from early march of sending waves of unarmed redditors towards enemy lines in order to reveal russian firing positions

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Its also important to remember that getting rid of those nukes was followed up with a pledge that the US and Russia would keep it safe, sort of a tacit admission of being neutral, so yeah the US couping a Nazi government into power dead set on joining NATO still seems to be the root of this conflict

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There were Russian speakers in Ukraine before there was a real public education system in it, it really depended on the region you were talking about.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lmao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Its also important to remember that getting rid of those nukes was followed up with a pledge that the US and Russia would keep it safe, sort of a tacit admission of being neutral, so yeah the US couping a Nazi government into power dead set on joining NATO still seems to be the root of this conflict

Yeah, which is one of those points that NAFO types don't really seem to have an answer for. It's difficult to pinpoint which country violated the Budapest memo first and when, but the U.S. pretty clearly interfered in Ukraine's internal politics in the 2004 election. (and did so again in 2014)

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Nov 8, 2022

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Jesus Christ

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Part of Ukraine getting rid of its nukes was that the US said they'd not help with Chernobyl otherwise.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1590050995853496321

absolutely not endorsing RWA but learning now Russia has literal battle priests?

that photo with the priest clothes on top of the soldier gear lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Military chaplains are a thing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah, which is one of those points that NAFO types don't really seem to have an answer for. It's difficult to pinpoint which country violated the Budapest memo first and when, but the U.S. pretty clearly interfered in Ukraine's internal politics in the 2004 election. (and did so again in 2014)

Well thats the whole issue in the end, history started moments before the Russian invasion and NATO has nothing to do with it so it becomes impossible to have any sort of actual conversation about this or talk about reasonings beyond insisiting that the Mongol Russians thrist for the pure white blood of Ukrainians

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Military chaplains are a thing.

yeah, the photo with the robes over the gear just gave a very hardcore battle priest look I'm not used to seeing

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Father Mikhail forget to cast Protection From Good and got his party wiped. A bad cleric

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Seatbelts posted:

Images of rations leaked from the Ukraine national guard

Thats an incredible lack of protein. They'll never be able to outlast the russians through the cold winter when this is the standard russian ration:

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Starsfan posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/man-killed-defending-ukrainian-city-from-russian-forces-1.6644569

I think this is the first news story we're gotten of a Canadian dying in Ukraine, it seems like there's been a flood of these lately (re: western volunteers / mercenaries dying in battle). I don't know if the Ukrainians are changing up the way they are deploying the mercenaries or if Russia is intensifying their attacks with the newly mobilized troops, but it does seem like conditions on the front are changing in the last couple weeks.

Here I was hoping the bazinga brigades weren't a thing anymore. RIP bozo I guess, hope the upvotes were worth it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Guess those epic Ukrainian victories weren't so epic for that dude.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Here is a selection from famed Ukrainian author Mykola Hohol.

Wait! Gogol is the “Ukrainian”, author they’re “reclaiming”? That’s like Eritrea claiming Pushkin.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

My favourite contradiction along these kind of bullshit lines is the 1960's adaptation of War and Peace, one of the most highly regarded pieces of art cinema ever made, the adaptation of a novel that is now referenced as a key piece of the rascist imperialist culture that has secretly been training the orcs to conquer and murder for centuries, is directed by Sergei Bondarchuk who was born in loving Kherson, lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1590101286770577410

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

~42 km/26 mi to Kherson city, for references, according to the replies.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

Guess those epic Ukrainian victories weren't so epic for that dude.

That guy is literally the first Canadian to ever die honorably. Be happy for him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

That guy is literally the first Canadian to ever die honorably. Be happy for him

At first I thought it was John McCrae, who wrote "In Flanders Fields," but then I did some digging on his bio. Turns out, his cause of death?

Anally vored.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/latstetter/status/1590117100630441984?s=46&t=t3JSHIauPxevbZryqdhK1g

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Majorian posted:

At first I thought it was John McCrae, who wrote "In Flanders Fields," but then I did some digging on his bio. Turns out, his cause of death?

Anally vored.

That was the most disturbing Stuff They Didn't Teach You In History Class episode ever.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Stupid sexy Flanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Vote!