Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Dr. Quarex posted:

hay guys whats goin on in this thread

Also how can anyone believe Russia is capable of the kind of operational security necessary to pull off a feint retreat with an immediate quick counterattack? Surely someone would have posted a TikTok about how awesome fake retreats are by now?

I don't think Russia's military is capable of anything beyond what we've already seen at this point. They've peaked, on the land in the sea and in the air, simply lost too many trained and experienced people at once.
They can't stuff people with 0.25-3 months of training into BTGs that took 40-90% casualties and expect them to be anywhere near functional mid-war against people who are already heavily experienced in fighting them. It's like sending a forum owner up against a pro-am boxer in the ring.

I feel like after this war is over or possibly before that, the pointless sacrifice of all the various ethnic minorities of Russia is going to be recognized as a new form of forced suicide-by-cop ethnic cleansing tbh. It's hosed up and the mobilization made this entire conflict take a dark turn that I never really knew existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mnoba posted:

title needs a lot of work

Agreed.

Looks like you guys will just have to post about the war until something title worthy is said so we can change it

Edit: wait

Edit2: better?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I should fire up war thunder and get my Ukrainian Chaika out and dumpster angry Russians as they stall-climb up to me after I say 'no Russia in Ukraine' in chat.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

iirc war thunder literally disabled in-game communication because of war chat

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I should fire up war thunder and get my Ukrainian Chaika out and dumpster angry Russians as they stall-climb up to me after I say 'no Russia in Ukraine' in chat.

that'll show 'em!

gonna open dota 2, queue usw, and instapick the bear stronk

I'm Doing My Part!

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Putin? More like poopin!
Ukraine? More like poopkraine!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

[in Sanna Marin voice] It will end when Russia leaves Ukraine

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I put realistically in there because Russia should gain nothing. I'm 100% with Ukraine.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

War? More like spoor!

(Everything is poop)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

FirstnameLastname posted:

that'll show 'em!

gonna open dota 2, queue usw, and instapick the bear stronk

I'm Doing My Part!

I'm gonna end this war by killing jets in videogame using a bi-plane that shoots rockets.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Let’s put aside our differences and work together to draw up two letters, one to mr Putin and mr zelensky. Just put everything out there and we all sign off on it. They need to know where sa stands

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm gonna end this war by killing jets in videogame using a bi-plane that shoots rockets.

It's about as directly useful as anything else most of us can do, so whatever makes him happy, I guess - it's not like I'll solve this by reading the updates and maps even more intensely, yet here we are.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That DICK! posted:

Let’s put aside our differences and work together to draw up two letters, one to mr Putin and mr zelensky. Just put everything out there and we all sign off on it. They need to know where sa stands

My two letters for mr Putin are F U

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

busalover posted:

I ignored all Ukraine news for the last month, the only thing I checked was if a nuke got dropped. Are there still significant advances? Apparently some US General said it'll be a long war, so whatever I'm not sure if I even wanna know.

When Russia responded to the bridge attack by bombing all sorts of civilian targets etc I woke up and checked the news, and I saw a map of Ukraine with little mushroom cloud explosion like icons all over it and for like 40 seconds I thought they had launched a poo poo ton of nukes. Not a great way to wake up!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Thanks for the good moderating ""KIT" Constantine starring Keanue Reeves"

Here's a neat thread about blowing up ships:

https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1588185984629628928?s=20&t=DCOCBBnGJDmKDaL4xx3ohg

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

KitConstantine posted:

You know what this means????

MAPS

Thank christ

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

HIMARS

Highly
Intricate
Maps
And
Rational
Shitposting

(I guess that won't fit)

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 4, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EorayMel posted:

A Russian falls through the earth and into Kyiv catacombs. Taking a torch from a nearby wall, he spies rows upon rows of conscripts. Grabbing the nearest one by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, saying "my comrade, have you tried Krokodil?"

immediately gets his boots stolen

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Here's how Russian telegram is reporting on the possibility of withdrawal from Kherson:
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1588203897629319169?s=20&t=HNdqnihc0-esfiWgQiuvAw
The comments aren't fans
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1588204824591572992?s=20&t=HNdqnihc0-esfiWgQiuvAw
Priogzhin also did some postin
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1588045328460177408?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1588145904430759936?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

pro starcraft loser posted:

HIMARS

Highly
Intricate
Maps
And
Rational
Shitposting

(I guess that won't fit)

Heaven
Is
Maps
And
Regional
Seatraffic

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

If I had a direct line to contact Putin I'd just call him in the middle of the night constantly and say to him "LOL, nice meltdown"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

FirstnameLastname posted:

Heaven
Is
Maps
And
Regional
Seatraffic

Omg. might just have to switch it out in the AM

Have some maps as a reward
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1588320633083269120?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
The second post illustrates why I use multiple sources - some are slower to switch stuff over than others, and I would take too cautious over jumping the gun personally

Also a repost but for the person who asked what's changed this month I have a MAP and also DATA
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1587241218504794115?s=20&t=_xuy2uDCI19lIO_rNMIbdA
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1587247808813432834?s=20&t=_xuy2uDCI19lIO_rNMIbdA
ISW maps too - they're late today so no region specific highlights yet
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1588300364171956225?s=20&t=_xuy2uDCI19lIO_rNMIbdA
Does anyone want me to do what I used to do earlier in the old-old thread and pull highlights from the reports? Because I was never sure if people liked that or if it was white noise lol

Also for regional sea stuff.....uhhh a kherson harbor is on fire?
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1588146038917013505?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
Bridge repair stuff??
https://twitter.com/CasualArtyFan/status/1588147952010379264?s=20&t=_xuy2uDCI19lIO_rNMIbdA
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1588279206974091264?s=20&t=LfSQmpdmNdet5DMpKH41VA
That color scheme....u-crane??? :tinfoil:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh god yes

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This is the third iteration of the World War Threead, so I think we need to do what movies do and work the actual numeral in. Fortunately, we have a very easy place to do so!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mercenarynuker posted:

This is the third iteration of the World War Threead, so I think we need to do what movies do and work the actual numeral in. Fortunately, we have a very easy place to do so!

It shall be done

also :tinfoil:
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1588285366922252289?s=20&t=9xI0eA0gT8Yq27AI7ahWUA

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

busalover posted:

I ignored all Ukraine news for the last month, the only thing I checked was if a nuke got dropped. Are there still significant advances? Apparently some US General said it'll be a long war, so whatever I'm not sure if I even wanna know.

The latest youtube video from Kings and Generals has a 30 minute documentary with ALL THE MAPS on the last month of the war in Ukraine. A very high standard - equal to their ones on historical wars and fictional ones. Recommend.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Shoulda went with roman numerals

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

My Spirit Otter posted:

Shoulda went with roman numerals

WorIIId War Threead

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

For sale: Bridge, lightly used.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In depressing news - content warning for extensive documentation of war crimes mostly committed against civilians
https://twitter.com/situ_research/status/1588248925177540610?s=20&t=9xI0eA0gT8Yq27AI7ahWUA
https://twitter.com/situ_research/status/1588248928012861440?s=20&t=9xI0eA0gT8Yq27AI7ahWUA
And in article form for those who can't stomach a video (it's me, I'm those)
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1588244150331510785?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
:siren: the header of the article is a picture of several dead bodies laying in the open. There are graphic images of bodies of civilians throughout. Take care of yourselves :siren:
https://apnews.com/article/bucha-ukraine-war-cleansing-investigation-43e5a9538e9ba68a035756b05028b8b4

Excerpts for those would prefer to skip the visuals :siren: This is still a harrowing read :siren:

quote:

What happened that day in Bucha was what Russian soldiers on intercepted phone conversations called “zachistka” — cleansing. The Russians hunted people on lists prepared by their intelligence services and went door to door to identify potential threats. Those who didn’t pass this filtration, including volunteer fighters and civilians suspected of assisting Ukrainian troops, were tortured and executed, surveillance video, audio intercepts and interviews show.

The Associated Press and the PBS series “Frontline” obtained surveillance camera footage from Bucha that shows, for the first time, what a cleansing operation in Ukraine looks like. This was organized brutality that would be repeated at scale in Russian-occupied territories across Ukraine — a strategy to neutralize resistance and terrorize locals into submission that Russian troops have used in past conflicts, notably Chechnya.

Ukrainian prosecutors now say those responsible for the violence at 144 Yablunska were soldiers from the 76th Guards Airborne Assault Division. They are pursuing the commander, Maj. Gen. Sergei Chubarykin, and his boss, Col. Gen. Alexander Chaiko — a man known for his brutality as leader of Russia’s troops in Syria — for the crime of aggression for waging an illegal war.

Police ended up recovering nearly 40 bodies along Yablunska street alone. Prosecutors have identified 12 around 144 Yablunska; AP reporters documented a 13th body in the stairwell of one of the buildings in the complex, in photos and videos taken on April 3.

Taras Semkiv, Ukraine’s lead prosecutor for the 144 Yablunska street case, told the AP and “Frontline” that it’s unusual to see war crimes play out on video and that the CCTV footage and eyewitness accounts from March 4 are key elements for the prosecution.

“The results of the criminal evidence we’ve gathered so far reveal that it wasn’t just isolated incidents of military personnel making a mistake but a systematic policy targeting the Ukrainian people,” Semkiv said.

The Kremlin didn’t respond to detailed questions sent by the AP.

Around lunchtime on March 3, three armored Russian vehicles appeared just beyond the quarry at the western edge of Bucha. Maksym Stakhov, a veteran of the 2014 war against Russian-backed forces in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region, spotted them. He jumped in his car and raced around town, hollering: “Hide! Run away! The Russians are coming!”

Stakhov and a few dozen other volunteers, along with a handful of soldiers, set up three checkpoints to inspect people’s documents and help with evacuations along Yablunska street, a strategic road that roughly divides Bucha from neighboring Irpin. Most of the volunteers had never handled weapons before, Stakhov and another fighter told the AP, and they scrounged what few guns they could.

Civilians headed to the well-fortified basement of an office building in an industrial complex at 144 Yablunska street for shelter, unaware that what they believed was a safe haven would soon become a prison.
“We had almost no weapons. It made no sense to fight them,” Stakhov said. “Guys were crying. We didn’t want to retreat.”

They fled across the fields to a mall in Irpin, which Ukraine still controlled.

Shortly before 1 p.m., most of the Ukrainian soldiers at 144 Yablunska street clambered into a black van and sped off to the east. Four stragglers fired off a few final rounds. By 12:57 p.m., the Ukrainians were gone.

To the west, Yablunska was burning. Half an hour after the Ukrainians disappeared, the first detachment of Russian soldiers emerged from smoke and flames and crept on foot down the street.
Around 9 p.m., Russian troops and military vehicles groaned down the long driveway of No. 144 under flurries of snow and sleety rain. By the morning of March 4, the Russians controlled Yablunska.

The cleansing was about to begin.
Over the next few hours, soldiers delivered more and more people to 144 Yablunska. They had been repeatedly told — by Russian President Vladimir Putin, among others — that they would be welcomed by their Ukrainian brothers and sisters as liberators and anyone who resisted was likely a fascist, an insurgent, not a real civilian.

As the soldiers took Dima away, his grandmother, Natalia Vlasenko, fell to her knees.

“God, I begged them not to touch him,” she said. “He pointed a rifle at me and said, ‘If you won’t give him up the easy way, then we’ll do it the hard way.’”

“Grandma, don’t worry!” Dima called as he left with the soldiers and headed for 144 Yablunska street. “I will come back!”

It was the last time she saw him alive.

Meanwhile, Russian soldiers were breaking into people’s homes, forcing locks and busting through high fences with their tanks, CCTV footage shows. They told locals they were looking for weapons. Residents said the soldiers also stole tools, electronics gear, food and liquor.

They systematically took out every CCTV camera they found. Screen after screen cut to black.

Russians let most of the civilians go that day, first the women, then the men. But the volunteers were not released.

Skyba was hit in the face so hard it knocked his teeth out. His eyebrow split open, and blood gushed down his face.

Russians tied his hands with tape behind his back, put a bucket over his head and kneeled him against a wall inside the office complex. They piled bricks on his back until he fell over, then hauled him up and beat his head through the bucket until he lost consciousness.

“What should we do with them?” Skyba heard a Russian say. “Kill them,” another answered. “But take them away first so they’re not laying around here.”

Russian soldiers led Sykba and other volunteers around the corner of the office building to a small courtyard where there was already one dead body. Then two soldiers started shooting.

Skyba felt something pierce his side, and he hit the ground. He had taken a bullet clean through his abdomen, a photograph shows. He pretended to be dead, terrified the Russians would see his exhalations cloud the cold air.

“I was waiting for the darkness,” he said. “Terrible ... I cannot explain ... . Just terrible.”

Once it was silent, Skyba worked his wrists out of the tape that bound them, crawled through the corpses of his comrades from the checkpoint and stole boots from the body of the only man who still had them on. He ran to a neighboring house and curled up on the sofa, trying to get warm.

Then he heard voices. Russians.

“Is anybody here in the house?” a man called. Skyba pretended to be the owner.

Believing him to be an injured civilian, the soldiers took him back to 144 Yablunska, this time for medical treatment, Skyba said. They led him to the basement, where more than 100 people were being held.

On March 7, Skyba and the others were allowed to leave the basement. Everyone else who had been captured with him, except for “The Saint,” was dead. He retrieved his eyeglasses, which had fallen near the body of one of the checkpoint volunteers. Then he walked out of 144 Yablunska street.

On March 14, a soldier nicknamed Lyonya called his mother from a cell tower near Bucha.

“There are civilians on the streets with their brains out,” he said. His mother wanted to know who had shot them.

“Our people,” Lyonya said.

“Maybe they were just peaceful civilians,” his mother said.

“Mom, there is fighting going on. And suddenly he jumps out! You understand? What if he’s got a grenade launcher?” Lyonya said.

On March 17 and 18, a Russian soldier named Ivan called his mother from Bucha. She’d forgotten which military unit he belonged to and he reminded her: 74268 -- the 234th Guards Airborne Assault Regiment, which is part of the 76th Guards Airborne Assault Division.

Ivan said that Russians “shoot everyone, who gives a f--- who it might be: a child, a woman, an old lady, an old man. Anyone who has weapons gets killed. Absolutely everyone.”

He explained that his unit goes out for “cleansing” on its tanks, seizing weapons, strip-searching people and examining their phones “to see if there is information or who is against us.”

“If we have to — we will kill,” he said.

[discussion from the Ukrainian prosecutor's office of the work they are doing to identify and charge the soldiers that committed war crimes and setbacks in the process]

[wife of one of the victims]

She wants the world to recognize how her husband died, his body left for weeks in a trash-filled courtyard.

“All the civilized world must recognize it was murder,” she said. “I want to prove it’s not fake and that it really happened.”

Link to the longer journalistic project "War Crimes in Ukraine" - content warnings all apply - https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/interactive/ap-russia-war-crimes-ukraine/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

In support of the suggestion that it was decided a while ago: there was a wave of posts by actually well connected milbloggers (iirc rybar and wagner and rysich and others I believe) about a month ago about how Kherson will be surrendered and it's going to be a shitshow and some idiotic patriotic lines will be fed to the people and incidentally that was right about the moment of peak push-back against russian MoD. I don't claim to know what's going on in Kherson, but it having been planned certainly makes a lot of sense.

I also would not at all put it past Russia deliberately delaying the withdrawal because they didn't want to give biden/pro-Ukraine Americans a win right before the election since they're very much aware that eroding american support for Ukraine is the closest thing they have to a way out

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Palate cleanser: caps on Russian oil approved along with insurance restrictions which might gently caress with them even more
https://twitter.com/NoYardstick/status/1588307978721140737?s=20&t=qVG5nO0R0hSuixJ7nNVwwQ
Ship/cargo insurance is a big deal

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In support of the suggestion that it was decided a while ago: there was a wave of posts by actually well connected milbloggers (iirc rybar and wagner and rysich and others I believe) about a month ago about how Kherson will be surrendered and it's going to be a shitshow and some idiotic patriotic lines will be fed to the people and incidentally that was right about the moment of peak push-back against russian MoD. I don't claim to know what's going on in Kherson, but it having been planned certainly makes a lot of sense.

I also would not at all put it past Russia deliberately delaying the withdrawal because they didn't want to give biden/pro-Ukraine Americans a win right before the election since they're very much aware that eroding american support for Ukraine is the closest thing they have to a way out

On this - Russian State TV is literally trolling about it
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1588218623868297217?s=20&t=_xuy2uDCI19lIO_rNMIbdA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KitConstantine posted:

Palate cleanser: caps on Russian oil approved along with insurance restrictions which might gently caress with them even more
https://twitter.com/NoYardstick/status/1588307978721140737?s=20&t=qVG5nO0R0hSuixJ7nNVwwQ
Ship/cargo insurance is a big deal

That will be really painful for Russia. Shipping insurance eis a major deal as it prevents them a lot of international logistics.

Bad for Russia.

Kherson residents are reporting Russian flags being dropped in Kherson. Organized retreat? False retreat? Who knows! But the south is now feeling the effect of the bridge being crippled.

The question becomes what is Russia doing? Why are they bringing stuff back? It's not a question of logic but a question of why the adaptation from the strategy which was no retreat no surrender.

Is it possible they're at the point where the gas tank is empty in terms of heavy supplies so now it's "what you have is what you have.?"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 4, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That, and the river just keeps getting wider and Dnieper.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

That, and the river just keeps getting wider and Dnieper.

I will forgive this pun because it made me giggle out loud

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1588244150331510785?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
:siren: the header of the article is a picture of several dead bodies laying in the open. There are graphic images of bodies of civilians throughout. Take care of yourselves :siren:
https://apnews.com/article/bucha-ukraine-war-cleansing-investigation-43e5a9538e9ba68a035756b05028b8b4

It's absolutely horrific but everyone should read this. It's an extremely good piece of reporting and horribly well documented.

The process of cleansing it describes is not some one-off stuff that just happened to happen, but rather it is a cornerstone of Russian military doctrine wrt occupied areas.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 4, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

THE THREAD NAME KEEPS CHANGING

The real revolution is going to start when Russian officers order their soldiers to stop drinking the jet fuel.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brd83vResQA

Look at the lady who goes to semi friendly then to propagandist as she is given things. ... Lol.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

THE THREAD NAME KEEPS CHANGING

The real revolution is going to start when Russian officers order their soldiers to stop drinking the jet fuel.

Ve sabotage ze jets and choppers comrade. More Ethanol for Timofei!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Flavahbeast posted:

There's also a lot of pro-UA accounts saying it's a trick and the Russians aren't actually withdrawing from Kherson for real

https://twitter.com/CforCD/status/1588230921655930880

I did read a passage a few days ago from a Kherson local (which I can't find now) saying Russian soldiers told her they're withdrawing on the 4th, so maybe something will happen tomorrow

haha it's a trick!

the real retreat is in Zapo