Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
Dear Santa,

I am a 37 year old single female from the USA who has not commented in the forums for a very long time. I decided to come out of hibernation especially to sign up for SASS 2022 because I enjoyed participating in previous years! I don't have much SA interaction, so please feel free to message me with any questions.

My favorite color is baby pink, my ascetic is very girly and very 80's.
I love to cook, bake, and pack bento boxes. I adore international cuisine and trying new flavors and ingredients. I would be delighted to get any food, drinks, snacks, sweets, spices, or cooking supplies unique to your area. I do not have any allergies, but I am a pescatarian. EDIT: Just updating to say I don't care for black licorice.
I love coffee, tea, and related accoutrement, but I tend to stay away from black tea.
I journal nearly everyday and love stationary and journaling supplies.
I collect postage stamps from all over the world.
I love anything beauty or spa related, and I go through a lot of soaps, lotions, hairclips and beauty products.
I read a lot of books and could use some bookmarks.
Socks would be appreciated.
No NSFW content please.
Anything handmade and/or a letter would be lovingly appreciated. <3

Dear Santee,

I am so freaking excited to buy you gifts! If you like, I can provide something local, something handmade, and at least 6 bees!

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Tiaz,

I want to sincerely thank you for running SASS! It means a lot to me. I was unable to participate for the last 2 years due to personal problems, but now I can participate harder than ever! SASSmas is truly a time of holiday cheer!

This is one of the two big things I'm looking forward to this Christmas season. I can't begin to express how excited I am to begin shopping and crafting stuff for my santee. In the meantime I'll just be sipping my coffee and watching the snowfall at work while I wait for assignments. :comfyoot: Thank you again!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

It is a great idea. It's fun reading all these posts and alternately thinking "oohh I have just the thing for that person!" and "oh no, please no, aaaaaaa"

Yes, me too! Because I was thinking I have the craft supplies to make a...

Tree Bucket posted:

Incidentally, can anyone fill me in on the legality of posting animal skulls internationally? Out of Australia specifically.

oh, okay I guess our minds went to different places there. Good luck on shipping skulls from the outback then! :lol:

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Droogie posted:

GET HYPED

I'll keep checking back in today. SO HYPED! :f5h::synthy:

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

tiaz posted:

REQUEST FULFILLED

You should have an email with your santee somewhere! Failing that, log in to the site and it will tell you what's up. Get cracking! :buddy:

HELL YESS!

Internet stalking completed!

The elves go shopping tommorrow! :yaycat:

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Droogie posted:

SASS has me feeling festive, so I got out some festive tools...

So I could make a support for the traditional Xmas Skeleton and his little buddy.

I hope he brings you pleasant holiday tidings.

Intensely festive! That's a very impressive nativity scene.

I love the birthday boy ribbon on the baby.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I went SASSmas shopping all over town and all through the mall on December 5th. I got myself a holiday latte and it was so much fun! I even saw Santa walking to go take pictures with the children, and I said "Hi!" :buddy: and he smiled back and said "Hello"- and I have to admit, the whole experience had me feeling like a giddy little kid about Christmas for the first time in a long time. Christmas felt kind of magical.

I went to one store and had something bee-related in my hands and thought, "No, not this, I'll find something even better!" then I went to a few more places and never found something better, and then I had to go home before my rental car timer was up. Now I'm wrapping everything and all I've got are bee stickers. :whereistheSASSbeeEmoji:

I've got my glue-gun and glitter out, so its about to get CRAFTY over here as I finish everything up!

Has anybody had the chocolate they mail melt during shipping?

EDIT: I dont know how to embed imugr photos anymore.

Droogie posted:

At this point you have to use the desktop site to get to the share links option at the top right of images as far as I know.

EDIT: Thank you!

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 14, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I noticed my post history no longer includes a previous SASS I participated in (possibly 5+ years ago) and I'm not sure why, so I wanted to re-upload the gift I received here:

I put the inflatable unicorn horn on my cat, Oswald Cobblepot and he briefly tolerated it:

And also on my cat, Tiggy, who did not tolerate it:

This was the handmade nail polish ornatment I receieved that I still have:

Sadly, my cat Ozzy passed away last August 2021 and this will be my second Christmas without him. And my cat Tiggy passed away this June 2022 and it will be my first Christmas with out him. Both deaths came unexpectedly, but I still talk to them every day. I wanted to share the photos of my kitties here along with everyone else's animals.

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 14, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Droogie posted:

Captain Spaulding

Zedgar Bite

Cone even captured Zed's crusty eye. Zed was very keen to attack her likeness.

Whether I shared or not originally, this I'm choosing to be Tak, who we lost at the very end of 2020. Accurate.

Ripley refused to come down for this event. Ripley is my wife's cat whom she loves more than anything in this world, and she squealed with delight when I pulled this cat ornament out. Ripley was unimpressed, but she's almost 19.

Jonesie, who was enjoying some xmas light glow filtered through his own cat sneeze art.

They now grace our pet-safe version of an xmas tree we put up each year.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Cone of Tragedy! I love it all.

Those hand painted ornaments are really adorable - I love their little smiles! And your pet-safe tree is very inventive.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hello! My new friend!

Would you care to join me for a drink?!

Now this is the sort of Christmas bee stuff I was looking for! Looks like an excellent drinking buddy to squeeze onto when your mouth puckers around the drink I've seen described as "burning garbage and Ricola"

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 16, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Cone of Tragedy posted:

Those are some very squishy kitties. Sorry you are spending the holidays without them.

Thank you. Keeping myself busy with SASS has helped a lot, this has created a lot of holiday cheer for me.

digitalist posted:

:love: My kitty passed away in October on 2020 at the age of 20, he is missed. I'm kinda hoping to adopt a pair in the new year, if I'm feeling up to that. Here are a few photos starting with one of him being festive,

Aww, I'm sorry for your loss too. He was an especially handsome boy and I love how his eyes sparkle in the light of the holiday festivities!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

spouse posted:

and here he is protecting the city:

So many handsome cats in this thread!

Ars Arcanum posted:

Hey, those gifts look familiar—

Ahh, you were my Santee!!! I still live in a city where there’s a bunch of Moravian culture (and they still make pretty baller sweets and lovely pure beeswax candles with the pretty red ruffles for their Christmas vespers service).

And I still have a ton of little wooden snowmen I painted with my mom as a kid, and nail polish ornaments I’m still giving away.

Welcome back to SASS, friend! And condolences on losing your lovely kitties. I’ve lost four of my own since that SASSmas. :sympathy:

Oh my goodness, hello again! I've never seen a Moravian, but I remember their cookies and mints you sent were dipped in my coffee every morning. The candle I still have and never burned, lol.

I'm so sorry for your many losses as well. And I want to thank you for the beautiful and delightful gifts! and the ornaments are still on my annual tree. :keke:

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Droogie posted:

Alright santa, your utter silence is mysteriously compelling but troubling at this point.

Also chiming in to say my santa is cloaked in a shroud of mysterious silence.

EDIT: I have to eat my words. A message was given, I just failed to check my email today. :peanut:

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 21, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Droogie posted:

Guys, look, I'm gonna be real bummed if I get the short end of the SASS stick again this year (this not a dig at Cone of Tragedy, I've never known someone to absolutely make it right like that).

But that said, I think I get the most enjoyment from GIVING gifts.

So I hope you've sent your santee something already. It's SASSMAS this weekend!

I know I've sent out a gift this year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9j5RGfwz8

This is a fantastic video! Thank you for providing a tour of your Christmas "tree". You have a delightful collection of very unique ornaments and that's an impressive quantity of mealworms!

There is a blizzard expected for tomorrow and the temperatures are already sub-zero where I am, so I am very jealous of your wood burning fireplace! It looks especially cozy.

I hope everyone is staying warm and safe this holiday week. I'm hunkered down with the closest thing I have to a fireplace, and that's my electric heat pad and tea. :fluffy:

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

:smith: that the BEES mug didn't make it intact. Lesson learned about bubble wrap, everyone: no matter how much you use, you need more. Always use more bubble wrap.

So much bubble wrap was used...but my package has such a long adventure ahead of it. :ohdearsass:

Tracking shows its is due to arrive after Christmas, but at least it's moving forward.

Also: IT IS CHRISTMAS! THE TIME IS NOW HERE! I'm glad to be sharing SASS with all of you and I'm enjoying reading the thread so much. Happy holidays to all of you! :blessed:

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Infidel Castro posted:

I thought I was clever and would send my package yesterday, only to see a sign at the post office that they were closed.

:dumb:

(In the US) whenever a federally recognized holiday lands on the weekend, it is recognized with a day off work on the nearest work day so that employees get the same number of annually observed holidays and the employer isn't forced to pay employees 1.5 x payrate.

New years day also falls on a Sunday this year, so you can expect all federal buildings and some private businesses to be closed Monday, January 2nd too.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

A surprise parcel has arrived! But I didn't order anything...

Where did it come from?!

VEGAS, BABY!

AND WE ALL KNOW WHO LIVES THERE!

I excitedly tore open my Christmas package of Harney & Sons tea, which I've never tried before! :dogcited: :coffee: Inside was a beautiful tin of Hot Cinnamon Spice tea and a sachet of Earl Grey tea! I started with the cinnamon spice tea, which smells absolutely ~heavenly~ and is the perfect flavor for a chilly winter day in Minnesota! It brews up to a pretty orange color, in part due to the orange peel inside, and I celebrated with my matching orange tea set and a snack.

It's so delicious, and definitely my new favorite tea now! :kiss: I'm determined to savor it slowly. The Earl Grey will be brewed into an oat milk London Fog latte tomorrow morning and I'm really looking forward to it. :yaycat:

There was no note inside and no specific email from Santa, but in a twist of fate, when the mail carrier missed me yesterday and left a USPS slip in my mailbox it stated the item was originally sent by Subjunctive. So thank you very much Santa Subjunctive, I love it! :peanut:

UPDATE 12/30: This gift appears to have been sent by a mysterious additional Santa! Holding space here to give special thanks to this Santa. :love:

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 31, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

spouse posted:

My santa reached out a few days ago and said they were running late, which means the joy and magic of christmas is not over yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8d0mQ-99WA

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 30, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

There is a mystery here, for I did send you a package that says it's available for pickup, but it did not contain the wonders you describe in this lovely post!

This was from another Santa entirely! (And the other half of your gifts have arrived and are now packed to be sent, which I will do today, apologies.)

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa:
A mystery indeed! I assumed the "sorry we missed you" postal slip referred to the package that was successfully delivered the very next morning!

I happened to read your last comment 30 minutes before the post office closed and I hoofed it into the post office with 5 minutes to spare...and sure enough, there was a package waiting for me with your username on it! I'm shocked and delighted!

Would the mysterious Santa, gifter of fine teas, please reveal themselves?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Zoesdare posted:

Looks like my Santee’s gift is stuck in customs. I was hoping it would make it before the end of the year, theme the breaks with international gifts I guess.

I'm a bit relieved to hear you say this because the same thing is happening to my Santee's gift and I was worried it implied something was wrong, but maybe international shipping is just backed up.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I managed to make it to the post office just before they closed for new years weekend! HOT DOG! :greatgift: :shittydog: I immediately unwrapped my package with the fervor of a 9 year old on Christmas morning, and I'm just getting around to uploading all my photos at (sips accidentally-caffinated tea)...2:30 am. Lets dig in!

Inside the package, underneath very thoughtful, environmentally-friendly :love: packing, was a gift wrapped furoshiki-style! That is so neat!

And inside was a bounty of stationery supplies!

There's a Marijke Bouchier scarf that features toucans with bananas for noses, Tiger-pineapples, leoapard fruit, and heliconias (one of my favorite flowers). Its a beautiful scarf with a tropical pop-art print that I intend to use as a furoshiki wrap for my bento boxes or a purse-scarf.

There are two coral-pink journals, and they both have grid-lined paper, which I have always wanted, but never had before. I think coral pink is one of the best shades of pink :sparkles: and I'm having fun using them already. The paper feels special, I don't read Japanese, but I think they're water resistant. And there is a pack of Memphis style stickers, so I can dress up my journal like The Max Diner, which is totally rad because I'm :gay: for the 80s.

There's a bunch of clever Japanese stationary supplies, like a paint-swatch book that is actually pages of smoky velum stickers. And a set of matching purple, numbered, page tabs, which I've already got plans for.

There's a set of fine marker pens whose packaging turns into a stand for maximum Japanese efficiency, and two fine tip pens...and that's when I saw that Mitsubishi - yes that Mistubishi - makes pencils. TIL: their 3-diamond symbol represents their 3 branches: Mitsubishi Automotives, Electronics and...Pencil Co. They are extremely smooth pens.

Thank you sincerely to my Santa, Subjunctive, for such an incredibly thoughtful gift - I love every part of it! And thank you for the card, everything has indeed brought me girly joy - you managed capture a lot of my essence in everything you got me! :peanut:

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 31, 2022

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

(And the other half of your gifts have arrived and are now packed to be sent, which I will do today, apologies.)

:blessed: Please don't worry about it, I'm so happy to have gotten all your gifts! Getting packages in the mail is such a treat.

Santa's second surprise arrived Thursday afternoon. :buddy: Coincidentally, while I was browsing the SASS thread and admiring everyone's cute pets again, I got a call that I had a special Canadian delivery!

It came with special instructions to hurry -

Everything has been such a joy to unwrap! Also, I appear to have evolved into my grandpa, meticulous remover-of-tape and saver-of-precious-wrapping-paper. I have no idea when this happened, but I realized it while I was unwrapping your gifts and it made me chuckle. I love the paper you picked out.

First I opened an adorable raccoon card - Congratulations on your marriage! Thank you for the card - I'm inspired to use the large coral spiral bound journal from the first package as an entire year-long planner as you described. I'm thinking I'll specifically use it for budgeting, saving money, and grocery planning for the year. All the new supplies you've given me will be used to help me keep track. Next I opened a set of 12 extra-fine tip colored pens, perfect for detailed bullet journaling:

The hard cover linen journal you gave me is absolutely gorgeous, I love the adorable kitten and flower design! :yaycat:

The kitten and flower design on the edge gilding and on the spine is especially beautiful and charming. Inside the back cover is an envelope and out popped an adorable little kitten paperclip -
I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated to start using it because it's the finest quality journal I've ever had and my handwriting doesn't seem good enough to go in it, lol. I'll have to practice my cursive. I'll endeavor to think of something to write about that's worthy of this beautiful book! :cabot:

Then I opened these neat things, called 'elements' - it took me a minute to figure out that they're patterns printed on sticker paper to hand-cut into whatever shape and size I want, which is so neat! The lotus pods, peonies and feathers are my favorite and I'm already imagining the projects I want to use them for.

I'm overwhelmed by your generous gifts and twice-sent international shipping! I love everything and I'm excited to use all the fancy new journaling supplies! :dance: Thank you Subjunctive for making this holiday so special!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Palette swap posted:

Well, now that I'm here knowing that my santee is getting his gifts and I'm checking the tracking number my santa sent me every five minutes, guess it's a good time for a pet roll call.
Last year (as I posted in that SASS thread) I lost my cat Chiqui. it's been a year and I still miss her way too much.

Since I was alone as my parents started taking care of my other cat when she got sick, a couple of months later I took in 2 of theirs

Here is Cleo. While she likes people well enough on her terms, she hates other cats. The only cat she liked was Chiqui and otherwise she's just a bit crazy.

And here's Marilyn. She is the sweetest cat ever. You can pick her, carry her around, LOVES belly scratches and she does this thing when I'm sitting at my desk where she sits on the floor, looks at me meowing softly until I pet her and let her jump on my lap where she goes to sleep.

And my parents cats

Florence a chill cat, who just does her thing.

And Olive the one they took in. And insane screaming idiot but a loving one.

Also their dog Chico protecting Christmas

Dear Santee,

At the risk of ruining part of the surprise, I've decided to reveal myself as your Santa. I had hoped that I had gotten your gifts mailed in time to arrive by the new year at the very latest, but I've also been checking the tracking number that I gave you... and I'm starting to grow increasingly worried it is stuck in customs. :ohdearsass: I'm going to wait some more to see if it ever moves or if I hear anything from customs.

At some point, I don't know when yet, if it still doesn't arrive, I will do something to get you something else. I'm wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thank you for posting photos of your adorable family! :love:

UPDATE 1/10/2023: I called USPS and filed an inquiry about the status of the package. I was also told that customs can hold a package for up to 45 days before they send it back, although the operator said that's very rare. She didn't say if that was business days or not, so we're either at T minus 35 days or 31 days before we might see it move if its stuck. I got a case number and I'm expecting a call back with an update.

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 10, 2023

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

ITS A SASSMAS MIRACLE! :woop:

I've been checking the tracking number on the package to my santee everyday since I shipped it on December 15th. I was told it was guaranteed to arrive before new years.

The package arrived to the country its going to, but was held in customs and has been stuck there without update since December 25th.

I made several calls to USPS and started an investigation case, but never heard back. The other country's customs website stated my package was "In Hospitalization" but I didn't have a way to ask the other country directly about what to do or what that meant. I felt helpless and I was starting to believe it may have been lost...

...but today the package moved! It is now in transit and I couldn't be more relieved! A little slice of Christmas is on its way to you santee!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Ars Arcanum posted:

We still can; I have not yet opened my Malort.

Also, SASS really is the best. Aside from my nieces, I don’t really give gifts to friends or family anymore, nor do I receive any (which is fine because I don’t need or want stuff from them), but I love giving/making/finding presents for and to random goons, and I got into SASS after the mean option had pretty much gone out of style. So it’s been delightful to see all the hilarious, creative, and thoughtful gifts this thread produces each year (not to mention receiving awesome, sweet, and/or hilarious packages each year).

Thanks to tiaz as always for putting this together and to everyone who still participates on our dead gay forums.

Also chiming in to say that this is the only gift exchange I participate in, so its really special.

To make the season a bit brighter, I not only signed up for SASS, but also decided to build a gingerbread house, which I've never done before. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out and tasted, so I've decided to make it my new yearly tradition.

And I've also really enjoyed seeing everyone's gifts roll in. Everyone's done such an amazing job, so many great things! Speaking of which, have either of you tasted the Malort yet? How was it?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

I'm so glad everything arrived undamaged!
It was only after I shipped the package that I realized I did not claim the fake snow on the customs forms. So, when everything got stuck in customs, I was worried that it was probably not a wise idea to ship mysterious un-claimed white powders internationally. I'm glad nothing was opened or removed.

Palette swap posted:

Cute Lil Bub stationery, and a story...

Here's next to a Grumpy Cat decoration mom made out of a sweater (she uses second hand xmas clothes that are too hot to wear here to make them). She didn't know about either of them before so today learned about and fell in love with Bub after I showed her the real one, the same as with Grumpy last year.

Your mom is a very talented crafter and decorator! Grumpy cat is so adorable too, I'm a sucker for cats on the internet. :pusheen:

Palette swap posted:

A really fragrant soap that survived the trip intact.

A box full of tasty treats that are calling me rn

With a beautiful kitty mug

And a box with an ominous warning that Santa had already given me instructions on how to proceed.
However I was not ready for what was inside. Something that had all of us crying. Something we had to put up immediately.

A garland, made by Santa herself with pics of our pets (did you knit the boots yourself?)

What can I say? Ulillinguist you went above and beyond not only with the gifts themselves, but with the care and effort you put and I can't thank you enough. Merry late Christmas .

Oh my gosh! I'm so happy you and your family liked it! It was such a joy to make.
I did not knit the booties - I'm crafty, but I have never successfully finished a knitting project that I've started, lol. I was putting together the photos to craft some sort of garland to celebrate all your family's pets and happened to see the garland with pet-themed Christmas stockings at the store and bought it to assemble the whole thing together. I also keep my decorations up until the end of January. I hope the cattes enjoy their gift too.

Merry late Christmas!

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 27, 2023

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Did everyone get something from their Secret Santa now? Please make a comment if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

I haven't yet, but my Santa has been in contact with me and is working on it. Regardless, I'm not worried at all, sending out some gifts to a random goon helped me feel like Christmas was far less lovely of a holiday.

I'm glad to hear Santa is communicating. It seems no-one else is reporting they're missing a gift or communication from Santa, which gives me hope we've had a very successful SASS.

Shopping for and sending out a gift also helped a ton this year. I'm looking forward to next year already.