Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Welcome to the 3rd day of the world cup and we have 4 games today:

1000 - Argentina v Saudi Arabia (ITV)
1300 - Denmark v Tunisia (ITV)
1600 - Mexico v Poland (BBC)
1900 - France v Australia (BBC)

Argentina are one of the favourites for the tournament and Saudi Arabia are at the other end of that scale so the first game could end up being a very funny scoreline. Spare a thought for the fans who are having to get up early for what is a 7am kickoff local time.

post your game predictions ITT
Arg, Den, Mex, Fra for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yelling all my favourite terms of endearment for my best team Mexico. Vamos and that

My locks for the day: Arg/Mex/Den/Aus (I believe in the subway socceroos)

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Argentina 5 nil, none from Messi

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the soft argentines will keel over and die in the heat

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i expect mexico poland will be the one to watch today as that's basically the 2nd place decider for the group unless KSA pulls out some poo poo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i expect mexico poland will be the one to watch today as that's basically the 2nd place decider for the group unless KSA pulls out some poo poo

pretty even matchup too

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
but also i love to watch cuti romero fling himself into tackles like a sledgehammer

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

the sex ghost posted:

I believe in the subway socceroos

Hell, same op

Reciting all my favourite witch doctor's curses in preparation

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Agreed.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Expecting roughly 700 bookings in this game. Agricultural stuff

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The subway eat fresh Socceroos will not win

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am excited for 4 matches, I am not thrilled they are in Qatar

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

a real chump posted:

The subway eat fresh Socceroos will not win

Things are looking up:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I thought this was a joke about the Eat Fresh Soccerroos

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

quote:

Argentina v. Saudi Arabia
FS1: JP Dellacamera, Cobi Jones
ITV: Sam Matterface, Lee Dixon
Telemundo: Andres Cantor, Manuel Sol, Maxi Rodriguez

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Looking forward to seeing Argentina getting body slammed in front of 70,000 screaming Saudimaniacs in the Qatar silverdome

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Four games, kicking off at 10am on a weekday. I love the world cup OP.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
otamendi starting :wtc:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lets go Saudi Arabia! :lol: someone got to root for the under dog middle east team... Oh nevermind.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1594993090246447111

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I see Saudi Arabia is being managed by Jamie Lannister

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

7am local kickoff time lol

e: in argentina :downs:

Sphyre fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 22, 2022

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

AM footy you have got to love it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sphyre posted:

7am local kickoff time lol

:stare:

Didn't realise that.

e- Oh I see.

I remember going to a huge pub in the city centre for a 7am ko in Japan and Korea WC.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINA

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
decent save

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

otamendi starting :wtc:

lmao I'd have expected L Martinez

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Refs

Argentina - Saudi Arabia
Referee: Slavko VINCIC (SVN)
VAR: Pol van Boekel (NED)

This is an interesting one. So far, confederation neutrality is holding - that is, no CONMEBOL if there's a CONMEBOL team. Last world cup broke that so its not a hard and fast rule any more but early days, so we will see how long it lasts. Given it went to a UEFA referee, you'd have thought with how lopsided this would be that they would use it on a lower rated one.

That's not Vincic, I dont think. He worked three matches at Euro 2020 (2 group, quarterfinal Belgium Italy), has a couple of Champions League quarterfinals under his belt, and did the most recent Europa League final this past summer. This could be a case where FIFA and UEFA just don't agree on the pecking order, but... I dunno, anyway, this is going to be a boring game and I dont think Vincic is going to be challenged.

Denmark Tunisia
Referee: César RAMOS (MEX)
VAR: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)

Ramos struggled mightily at times throughout CONCACAF qualifying - it even looked like his spot as Mexico's #1 might have been in some doubt at one point. But he got his act together and so here he is. At the 2018 World Cup he worked Brazil Switzerland and Poland Colombia in the group stages before getting Uruguay Portugal in the Round of 16. I'm not sure exactly where in the general order FIFA currently see him, so hard to know if this is "easy match given to lower official" or "Protecting higher official for later by giving him an easy entry". Vincic is clearly the latter, Ramos may be the former - although as long as he doesn't have a major mistake, we will see Ramos a few more times I think.

Mexico Poland
Referee: Christopher BEATH (AUS)
Fourth Official: Stéphanie Frappart (FRA)
VAR: Shaun Evans (AUS)

Making a note of the fourth official, this is Frappart's debut at the World Cup. Beath worked the Olympics, where he had the final between Brazil and Spain, and worked the most recent Club World Cup final between Chelsea and Palmerias, and has an Asian Cup Semi Final. So he's had about the biggest matches "available" to him. But I dont know a super lot about him. Reading the tea leaves, FIFA really likes him since this should be a tougher match, so I suspect he's probably going to be fine? But this might be the most interesting match today just in terms of "could go completely off the rails", so if the players start just kicking each other hopefully Beath is ready to adapt.

France Australia
Referee: Victor GOMES (RSA)
Fourth Official: Salima Mukansanga (RWA)
VAR: Drew Fischer (CAN)

Another woman debuting at 4th official (USA female AR also debuting as reserve AR in this match). Gomes had two group stage games at the Olympic and had match in the final round in CAF qualifying. Gassama is clearly CAF's #1, but I think Gomes might be the #2. No specific thoughts on Gomes but a big game so an early test. A VAR from PRO on here.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

lol Argentina almost scored twice in the time I was typing that up

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lol wtf is going on

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Hahahah

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
giventhe iran penalty yesterday theres at least 4 penalties there

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

wow i love var,

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the fix… is in?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This could honestly be 10-0

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Personally, I hate all the wrestling poo poo on corners so I'm pro this peno

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Reverse fix

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wonder if they're doing zero tolerance for holding or just when the Qatar goons say so in the VAR room

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There’s gonna be so many penalties this World Cup and so many 110-120 minute games that the knockouts won’t feel as special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Never gonna miss