Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
If you are still healthy and spry 30+ you didn’t take advantage of your 20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am bulbous enough to see my jiggle butt.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sigher posted:

How did you figure out how to stop aging?

I'm 35, single/no kids, and there's no way in hell I'm as spry as I was in my early 20s and I'm healthier than I've literally ever been. Back in my early 20s I would eat like poo poo and never exercise because I have a stupidly high metabolism (which thankfully still hasn't slowed) and I would have energy for days, doing an all-nighter was so easy. I also never did drugs or drank until 33. Now that I'm eating healthier and working out a 5-6 days a week (I hope to get fit, build a bit of muscle but nothing too crazy) my energy levels are way below what they used to be. Before midnight I'm already tired.

I can basically nap at all points of the day now whereas before I'd never even have to consider it.

I dunno, genetics and luck? For what it’s worth, when I was a teenager I had a stupidly high metabolism and could pack away several buffets without gaining a single pound. Like you, I would eat garbage in my 20s and never exercise because I thought my metabolism was still what it was in my teens. Whoops, now I’m a goony fatass. I was also very depressed in my twenties and food was my vice. It took an epiphany in my late twenties to challenge myself to be a better person both physically and mentally and I got to work on it.

My thirties I lost enough weight to look like a linebacker (I’m built like Chief Bromden in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) in that I’m still a big guy, but not a fat guy anymore, and I can live with that even though I feel I could lose more weight. I felt so good throughout my thirties, it was an incredible time to be alive :)

Also, I’ve never smoked. Smoking ages you terribly. I’ve come across people who started smoking in their teens and they already look and act like they’re ten years older than what they should be. Maybe get more sleep, too? I used to stay up until 3 am, sleep two hours, then get up for work and feel fine. Now I get a good night’s rest every night by going to bed at 10 pm, usually 6 to 8 hours. Yeah, I’m sounding like I should join AARP, but sleep is good for you, and it could be the secret to spryness.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I'm in my late 30s now, and I think I've been doing well. Definitely much better than at any time during my 20s. If not for the pandemic, I think my 30s would have been a non-stop good time that would have kept getting better. The pandemic changed everything for me, but it also had the benefit of pushing me to stop relying on stuff like gyms and to take up self-regulated exercise and better eating overall. I don't know what every dude's prime years are, but if he's capable of physical exertion and getting stronger and isn't doing it then he's letting his brain rot. Ladies, you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zcF6Ut7lo

Skip to the last chapter for the summary. If a 70-year-old that lifts weights or does calisthenics, etc., has the strength of a 30-year-old that doesn't do a drat thing, then if you're in you're 30s right now some old dude more than double your age is probably healthier and stronger than you. lol. There was a study recently about how by 40 the brain starts cementing neural connections and changing the way we learn and handle new information, but we can push that back by decades with regular physical and mental exercise. Don't let your physical and cognitive abilities start stagnating half a century before they should. It's never too late to start. You don't even need a gym; a door-way pull-up bar and a set of dip bars or some dumbbells and resistance bands are enough to get started on what should be a lifelong habit.

Maybe it's me, but I'm legit scared of having my brain and body function go down earlier if it's all due to easily controllable stuff like resistance training and keeping my brain stimulated in positive ways.

Tarkus posted:

This is true. Also, if you're not a peak physical specimen and you try to dress cool you'll just look like a loving moron fedora man.
:agreed:
There's a reason why male clothing models are either bags of bones with a specific frame or have a tapered athletic look. A guy with no muscles, skinny fat, man tits, beer belly, office rear end, whatever, may think he looks great in his fancy clothes, but the body itself is what makes the clothing look best. IMO, if your body is trash, it's like decorating a turd: it's still poo poo under all that glitter.

sigher posted:

Now that I'm eating healthier and working out a 5-6 days a week (I hope to get fit, build a bit of muscle but nothing too crazy) my energy levels are way below what they used to be. Before midnight I'm already tired.
When I "returned" to resistance training and increasing my movement in my mid-thirties, I felt wrecked for a long time. It took me about six months to recognize that I wasn't eating enough to allow my body to repair or grow muscle. I was simply damaging my body and then not giving it what it needed to fix itself. I could eat as healthy as I wanted, but that didn't mean much when I was draining the caloric "bank account" and not putting enough back in when "bills" were due. When I started using MyFitnessPal is when I finally understood I was not taking care of my body.

I don't know what you're doing 5-6 days per week, but you might be working out more or harder than your body can handle to repair itself AND/OR you might not be eating enough (calories, carbs, and especially protein) for your body to repair itself or get energy from AND/OR you might not be resting enough (going 5-6 days a week might really be way too much at your age or fitness level). You might also consider taking a full week off every 5-8 weeks just to let everything cool down and fully repair.

On my last bulk, eating so much gave me almost limitless energy. When I started my cut phase, I had to drop everything by half and it still sucked and felt like rear end. It took about six weeks to find the correct baseline of work to match my caloric intake. If you aren't matching those two things, everything will feel weird or like you're hitting a wall at a certain point.

Plus, it's just part of getting older. Everything takes longer, from repairing the body to growing muscle, etc. In my twenties, I would get 4 hours of sleep, start work at 6am unloading trucks for 8 hours, eat 5-6 burritos at Taco Bell during lunch almost daily, then afterwards go live a normal life outside and shop and jog, and then get up the next morning to do it all over again without any issue or soreness. I also think that drinking water was an afterthought for me at that age, and I can't comprehend how dehydrated I was on top of the 6+ grams of sodium. Even though I'm currently in the best shape of my life and stronger than ever, I could not survive that kind of lifestyle at all at my age (late thirties).

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Your plumbing system needs the land to grow and feast.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Pretty sure I'm past mine because I hurt both my legs in bed. Mickey was right.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Every year. Every waking moment. Be it pain or pleasure you are experiencing, life is happening. Every second, no matter how mundane or displeasurable, you feel. You are the envy of the dead.

Nah it's probably, like, when you were 7, and your imagination was at it's peak, and you played with the neighborhood kids and made epic stories in your head with your toys. Or mid 20's when you were doing drugs and having life altering trips, and having mediocre on average sex with hot people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, I’ve never smoked. Smoking ages you terribly. I’ve come across people who started smoking in their teens and they already look and act like they’re ten years older than what they should be. Maybe get more sleep, too? I used to stay up until 3 am, sleep two hours, then get up for work and feel fine. Now I get a good night’s rest every night by going to bed at 10 pm, usually 6 to 8 hours. Yeah, I’m sounding like I should join AARP, but sleep is good for you, and it could be the secret to spryness.

I don't "smoke," per se, I vape weed from the flower (not the oil stuff) and I stay the hell away from cigarettes but I think the jury is out on how much weed fucks you up smoked or vaped. I'm definitely a more "late night" goon, and sometimes I'll be hanging out with my friend until 1AM smoking weed but if I'm home I'm usually in bed around midnight. I do tend to wake at 7 or 8 AM though, so I know a lot of the time I don't get enough sleep.

PITY BONER posted:

I don't know what you're doing 5-6 days per week, but you might be working out more or harder than your body can handle to repair itself AND/OR you might not be eating enough (calories, carbs, and especially protein) for your body to repair itself or get energy from AND/OR you might not be resting enough (going 5-6 days a week might really be way too much at your age or fitness level). You might also consider taking a full week off every 5-8 weeks just to let everything cool down and fully repair.

I have a Tonal, so I'm getting a pretty hefty workout for the hour or so I put into it daily. I'm not a gym rat by any means and I've jumped into working out on a whim, so I'm pretty sure you're hitting the major issue I have: eating. I'm a narrow dude with a really small stomach and not much of an appetite a lot of the time, I can eat a single meal and call it a day. More than that I start feeling too full and gross and it stops being enjoyable. Which sucks because I'm trying to get in that protein intake to bulk up a bit. A friend of mine used to do Crossfit and was bulking up a shitload for a while but he said he was pounding chicken every drat day several times a day and that just seems like something I literally couldn't stomach. I'd be vomiting all over the place.

Sadly, I feel like if I don't improve the eating part I'm SOL and wasting time. I've seen a lot of growth recently but I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm hitting a plateau and wishing I could eat more.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
love bg prime tibbies

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

If you are still healthy and spry 30+ you didn’t take advantage of your 20s

I did and I'm very spry in mid 30s but I've never been healthy in the first place so that was a problem that fixed itself.

If I can live my life without cancer #3 I'll consider myself fortunate enough.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7E2MXSXlY

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ages: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Ronwayne posted:

By that definition, boomers and X-ers are going to still be into their prime years when the last one is 120. maybe the 95 year old millenial will have enough resources to move out/roll into a retirement home/the mass climate change retirement pit.

Feels good man

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

And the golden years are 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 and 89

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I peaked at four. It takes a long time to die when you peak so early.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I have so much poo poo wrong with me I don't keep track anymore, but God hosed up and apparently refuses to let me die.

So I guess 20-30 is the good spot. Getting smarter, but not falling apart yet.

Unless God hates you or gets bored or does a woopsie and gives you early cancer or dementia or alhizemers or makes your teeth fall apart.

I dunno what's up with that guy.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The weird part is I still have a book on my table.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The Butcher posted:

I have so much poo poo wrong with me I don't keep track anymore, but God hosed up and apparently refuses to let me die.

So I guess 20-30 is the good spot. Getting smarter, but not falling apart yet.

Unless God hates you or gets bored or does a woopsie and gives you early cancer or dementia or alhizemers or makes your teeth fall apart.

I dunno what's up with that guy.

God took away my big cums and broke my small dick

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

sigher posted:

Sadly, I feel like if I don't improve the eating part I'm SOL and wasting time. I've seen a lot of growth recently but I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm hitting a plateau and wishing I could eat more.

If you can practice getting used to the feeling of discomfort/being overly full at times, and find small things to eat when you're not physically hungry (between meals or before bed) I've found the amount you can eat steadily improves. There's a manageable middle ground between not eating enough and eating so much you're about to throw up. For me the more I managed that the less my body felt weird about being full of food.

That combined with consistent exercise can really get my hunger going. Same with eating something or making a smoothie not long after waking up. If I do that then I'm always still hungry a couple of hours later and feel better in general. But if I put off eating in the morning it's way easier to just procrastinate for hours and it's hard to catch up again.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 28, 2022

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I wonder if the prime time of life is different for men and women. I know sexually they say that men peak at like their late teens to early 20s and women supposedly peak later in life once they're more mature, like 30s to 40s. Sex is a pretty big part of someone's life so maybe that's really the peak time for each gender. I know I have more interest in sex at 33 than I did at 23. I feel like it's kind of opposite for guys. I'm sure it all has to do with hormones and :biotruths: or whatever.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

sigher posted:

A friend of mine used to do Crossfit and was bulking up a shitload for a while but he said he was pounding chicken every drat day several times a day and that just seems like something I literally couldn't stomach. I'd be vomiting all over the place.

You are not training your fuel tank limit. Become the goon and be like me.

Able to eat a loaded deep dish pizza by yourself or possibly 24-55 chicken wings in a single bound.

When I was younger I worked at taco bell and for my free meal I made a shrimp, chicken, steak taco bowl salad that was so loaded my manager asked to weigh it. It was about the only meal I could afford at the time for the whole day and it was around 2 pounds.

I can't do much over 2 pounds though and I am not morbidly obese, just got a dad bod with broad shoulders and semi toned forearms.

I just turned 36 and working out hard or doing construction related stuff occasionally hurts me and I have less energy than my 20's but I can also lift more weight than my 20's
Stuff takes forever to heal and I probably need to quit partying because it's not helping. (I've been cutting back steadily)

If you have back pain I say do deadlifts!
It's more or less cured my decade of chronic back pain from construction related toil.

A lot of non college educated men do backbreaking labor most of their lives and it will catch up with you. I've met a few old timers that laid carpet or tile for their whole lives and that will destroy you almost as fast as playing pro NFL.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The only thing that can take on my back pain is yoga. I can still engage in XTREME SPORTS at the ripe old age of 34 only because I literally do yoga at least twice a day. It's the exercise that allows me to exercise.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Dixville posted:

I wonder if the prime time of life is different for men and women. I know sexually they say that men peak at like their late teens to early 20s and women supposedly peak later in life once they're more mature, like 30s to 40s. Sex is a pretty big part of someone's life so maybe that's really the peak time for each gender. I know I have more interest in sex at 33 than I did at 23. I feel like it's kind of opposite for guys. I'm sure it all has to do with hormones and :biotruths: or whatever.

I think it's for sure a thing. In my teens and early 20's I could see a curvaceous tree and blood started moving around. (For the record, I did not gently caress any trees, which yes, is what a treefucker would say.)

I've mellowed out a lot on the horny front later on, where as a lot of women I know in their 30's-40's are hungry as heck for some D or V.

Hormones and just gaining a lot more confidence and giving less of a gently caress I guess.

If you're halfway in shape at 40 you can have your pick of the litter of dumb young guys to have some fun with. It's not serious long term material of course, but it's not hard to find if you know what you're looking for and go out hunting.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Butcher posted:

I think it's for sure a thing. In my teens and early 20's I could see a curvaceous tree and blood started moving around. (For the record, I did not gently caress any trees, which yes, is what a treefucker would say.)

I've mellowed out a lot on the horny front later on, where as a lot of women I know in their 30's-40's are hungry as heck for some D or V.

Hormones and just gaining a lot more confidence and giving less of a gently caress I guess.

If you're halfway in shape at 40 you can have your pick of the litter of dumb young guys to have some fun with. It's not serious long term material of course, but it's not hard to find if you know what you're looking for and go out hunting.

i had to double check the name to make sure this wasn't a horny spinz post lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i had to double check the name to make sure this wasn't a horny spinz post lol

You can tell because it wasn’t immediately nuked from orbit for a week

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can tell because it wasn’t immediately nuked from orbit for a week

yep. mods consulted their excel sheet on gbs posters and confirmed that despite being a calssic spinz type horny post, the poster is indeed a male and thus, immune. and hands are absolutely tied on this matter (precedent, juris prudence etc.)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Free Spinz imo

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dixville posted:

Free Spinz imo

She's free but the damage is done

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I hollowed out a man in his prime and counted the rings. Bless the Goatman.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Your athletic peak is about 22-25, after that your body will start failing you in increasingly embarrassing ways.

Speak for yourself I'm in better shape at 36 than I was in my 20s.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

this graphic rules lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

roomtone posted:

i think it's a made up concept that you can choose to torture yourself about or ignore like most things

all concepts are made up

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

basically the time in your life you were a complete shithead and didnt see anything wrong with it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i don't equate "basically functional" with "prime/best", personally. in fact if you're thinking to yourself "well at least i can chew and digeast nomral food without aid!" then you're almost certainly not at your prime lol. but it's nice that you did that work for old people or w/e

You lack perspective.

Good news, you'll either get a quick accidental death, or that very perspective.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

basically the time in your life you were a complete shithead and didnt see anything wrong with it

Yeah, I think that's close to it. Certainly not your mental or emotional prime but hey, you're hot poo poo, and you don't give a poo poo, and you don't know poo poo.

Main character.

I do look back with so much regret, but what can I do? Young men are dumb as gently caress. Most men are dumb as gently caress. You just hopefully learn to be able to ask yourself "is this a dumbfuck or dick move?" And not just YOLO it.

Helps to learn that other people are people too, even if they have boobs.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

whenever a woman says that a guy did something dumb im like "uhhh yeah haha have you met men before lol?" like its true we are constantly doing dumb poo poo and there is no end in sight and we constantly one upping the last stupid thing we did and we really shouldnt be left in charge or have final say about anything but dem da breaks

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

whenever a woman says that a guy did something dumb im like "uhhh yeah haha have you met men before lol?" like its true we are constantly doing dumb poo poo and there is no end in sight and we constantly one upping the last stupid thing we did and we really shouldnt be left in charge or have final say about anything but dem da breaks

It's a long term project, but I'm thinking of a genetic modification project to make the women politicians bigger so when the males are like "what if laser tag, but with real lasers? We can use our guns until someone makes the lasers."

Then the larger women can just haul them out, sit them down at the xbox, crack them a beer, and say where the microwave food is.

Then they can get back to figuring out the economy. No gun tag tonight.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

Dudes rock

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Butcher posted:

Yeah, I think that's close to it. Certainly not your mental or emotional prime but hey, you're hot poo poo, and you don't give a poo poo, and you don't know poo poo.

Main character.

I do look back with so much regret, but what can I do? Young men are dumb as gently caress. Most men are dumb as gently caress. You just hopefully learn to be able to ask yourself "is this a dumbfuck or dick move?" And not just YOLO it.

Helps to learn that other people are people too, even if they have boobs.

The best thing I ever did for myself is to shut off that rationality-obsessed part of me, yolo it, and realize other people's opinions really don't matter unless I want them to matter.

Rationally considering the best of everyone never was the path to self-growth or success, and for evidence I present everything around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

endlessmonotony posted:

The best thing I ever did for myself is to shut off that rationality-obsessed part of me, yolo it, and realize other people's opinions really don't matter unless I want them to matter.

Rationally considering the best of everyone never was the path to self-growth or success, and for evidence I present everything around you.

You are making The Buddha disappointed.

Like you are halfway there, but still halfway stuck.