Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

What did Saturday say in his post game presser about the time out thing at the end of the Colts game if anyone watched it or knows?

I can sorta maybe almost see doing what he did with a competent offense I guess, and you were better in the second half. But did you not notice the first half and that the thing your best at probably involves a moving clock with the run?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1597572565135925250?t=Z-rA3rzy8GOk7EX-L6ywog&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NFL Week 12 Aftermath: its tuesday dude, will you shut the gently caress up already lol

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
i'm sorry, Bengals fans have so little to celebrate through the years, i suppose I should not be so direct

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wouldn't say nothing, they won the AFC last year. I mean, not that impressive given who the 1 seed was, but still.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Welp that's an answer of sorts and some good old fashioned sports reporting.

quote:

Asked about the play on three occasions in his postgame news conference, Saturday seemed to downplay it each and every time. He underscored that time was somehow not at a premium as it symbolically ticked away on the Colts' chances and furthermore on their season.

At 4-7-1, the Colts realistically left Monday with timeouts to spare and just the opposite when it comes to aspirations of salvaging a season.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It ended up not mattering considering they didn't convert 4th down. IdK what more time would do if you can't get yards anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

really queer Christmas posted:

It ended up not mattering considering they didn't convert 4th down. IdK what more time would do if you can't get yards anyway.

If I'm being nice to them they tried to go tempo on third down (while taking 25 seconds to snap the ball) and it didn't work.

I guess if I'm not being nice to them they had no idea what they were doing and it showed.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
🎣

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Bengals killing the Chiefs might be the only way our season doesn't end in KC again, at this rate.

Instead it can end in Miami or Cincinnati, how exciting! :shepicide:

I think Miami would be perfect. They have very little playoff experience and would start with a bye week to be smug dolphins with a rookie head coach. I think I'd prefer them to anyone else except obviously the Bills.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Jets/Giants Super Bowl

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
This happened on the Ryan scramble and also on a Pickett scramble earlier in the game: the QB runs up the field and dives head-first rather than slide. Both went another 1-2 yards forward before being touched, but both times the ball was marked at the point the QB went down instead. Shouldn’t forward progress have continued until they were touched? I understand on a slide it’s down essentially when they initiate the process of giving themselves up, but I was always under the impression that a forward dive would grant whatever yardage was gained until the runner is touched or progress stops.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

pasaluki posted:

I meanwhile am a Bengals believer. Save the conference from the Kansas City Chiefs. I'm at the point I don't even care if the Dolphins get the #1 seed.

I don't think we're going to be the team to stop the Chiefs this year. We lost our good boundary corner and so now our two starters on the outside are Eli Apple and a second round rookie who has shown more promise in run support than in coverage down the field. The pass rush is technically sound but there isn't really anybody fast enough to chase Mahomes down, He's probably going to have all day passing the ball.

I like our chances reasonably well against the other AFC teams but the Chiefs are a bad matchup for us this year. But, hey, maybe Lou will figure out some magic for us again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Highbrow Slick posted:

This happened on the Ryan scramble and also on a Pickett scramble earlier in the game: the QB runs up the field and dives head-first rather than slide. Both went another 1-2 yards forward before being touched, but both times the ball was marked at the point the QB went down instead. Shouldn’t forward progress have continued until they were touched? I understand on a slide it’s down essentially when they initiate the process of giving themselves up, but I was always under the impression that a forward dive would grant whatever yardage was gained until the runner is touched or progress stops.

They changed this in 2018 so a dive is considered as the QB giving themself up and is treated the same as a slide.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They changed this in 2018 so a dive is considered as the QB giving themself up and is treated the same as a slide.

Well how do you like that, I never noticed before. Much appreciated

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Then how does diving for a first down work, or a touchdown. If you dive head first while trying to run it in as a QB, it just doesn’t ever count?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bows1 posted:

Then how does diving for a first down work, or a touchdown. If you dive head first while trying to run it in as a QB, it just doesn’t ever count?

I think it's if you dive while you really don't need to and aren't touched during the process of the dive.

Judgment call I suppose. I doubt they'd have taken a TD away from him if that were the question, but no one was particularly close to Ryan on that play when he went for the first down and landed short anyway.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

bows1 posted:

There's been a couple times when would-be TDs were wiped off because of this rule. Wentz had one in 2019 and here's one from Heinicke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71g-2TYJuk

You'd think the NFL would allow the refs to use their judgement to determine if a player is going down or trying to score. But if judgement was allowed, we wouldn't have such convoluted catch rules.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MD2020 posted:

There's been a couple times when would-be TDs were wiped off because of this rule. Wentz had one in 2019 and here's one from Heinicke.

You'd think the NFL would allow the refs to use their judgement to determine if a player is going down or trying to score. But if judgement was allowed, we wouldn't have such convoluted catch rules.

The rule is there to protect QBs from taking bad hits and if it’s not black and white then it doesn’t work. If a defender is trying to determine if the QB is a legal target or not how is that supposed to work if it’s just a judgement call from the refs? The act of “giving yourself up” needs to be pretty clearly defined or you’ll get defenders lighting up guys who are trying to go down for safety and defenders pulling up on guys who are diving for a first down.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

I’m imagining a QB doing a backwards/lateral pass to a receiver who looks around and then takes off, only to dive 15 yards later and take a hit. Is he a QB?

e: what if it’s taysom hill lmao

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

MD2020 posted:

So this wouldn't even be legal anymore as a TD - ugh this is a hard rear end hit I forgot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCzSzMWxEk

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think player safety should necessarily be solely the responsibility of defenders. If descentivizing quarterbacks from putting themselves in a vulnerable position reduces their chances of a serious injury I don't see why that's any more objectionable than descentivizing defenders from making risky plays. It's not really fair for the defense if a quarterback is launching himself forward to gain yards in a way that makes it so that if you were to engage in any sort of contact you're pretty much guaranteed to strike their head.

If the rules put in place are for player safety they should be doing everything they can to avoid gamifying that. I think it's fair to take steps like saying quarterbacks are considered down from the moment they leave their feet in a slide or dive, that they aren't allowed to fake slide or juke towards the sidelines like they're going out of bounds. If there aren't protections against stuff like that the end result is that defenders are going to commit to making the hit to avoid giving up that first down or giving up those yards.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Highbrow Slick posted:

I’m imagining a QB doing a backwards/lateral pass to a receiver who looks around and then takes off, only to dive 15 yards later and take a hit. Is he a QB?

e: what if it’s taysom hill lmao

Anyone is allowed to wreck Taysom at any time. It's a special exception in the rulebook.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

If the rules put in place are for player safety they should be doing everything they can to avoid gamifying that. I think it's fair to take steps like saying quarterbacks are considered down from the moment they leave their feet in a slide or dive, that they aren't allowed to fake slide or juke towards the sidelines like they're going out of bounds. If there aren't protections against stuff like that the end result is that defenders are going to commit to making the hit to avoid giving up that first down or giving up those yards.

The packers lost a game in 2008 because rodgers had faked going out of bounds earlier in the game.

In the fourth quarter during what was going to be their game winning drive, he was running out of bounds and peppers just murdered him.

He was so concussed they had to run the ball three straight times and kick a field goal.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Anyone is allowed to wreck Taysom at any time. It's a special exception in the rulebook.

Encouraged to, actually. Probably by Saints fans as well.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

The packers lost a game in 2008 because rodgers had faked going out of bounds earlier in the game.

In the fourth quarter during what was going to be their game winning drive, he was running out of bounds and peppers just murdered him.

He was so concussed they had to run the ball three straight times and kick a field goal.

That was the day rodgers decided that eating clay would be what heal him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

That was the day rodgers decided that eating clay would be what heal him.

Iirc it also happened on the packers sideline.

All the packers got up to defend Rodgers, saw who did it, and we’re all just like “nah man…nah, that ain’t cool”

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

bows1 posted:

So this wouldn't even be legal anymore as a TD - ugh this is a hard rear end hit I forgot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCzSzMWxEk

Am I missing something? Why would this not be a legal TD anymore? The new rule as of a few years ago is that diving forward is now the same as sliding. It's not that you can't dive forward as a QB or as a runner. You'll still be down wherever the ball is when you first hit the ground, which in the case of this play is in the endzone

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Am I missing something? Why would this not be a legal TD anymore? The new rule as of a few years ago is that diving forward is now the same as sliding. It's not that you can't dive forward as a QB or as a runner. You'll still be down wherever the ball is when you first hit the ground, which in the case of this play is in the endzone

Edit: Oops I was wrong, and the guy I'm quoting is right, didn't read his response carefully enough. I also thought we were talking about the Wentz 2 point conversion that was called back because his knee hit the ground during his dive rather than whatever that other Wentz play was.

Jivesauce fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 30, 2022

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NFL Rule 7 Section 2 Article 1 posted:

An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

d. when a runner declares himself down by:
  • falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance.
  • sliding feet-first on the ground. When a runner slides feet-first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet.

Notes:

• Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.
  • A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is not a foul unless the defender makes forcible contact into the head or neck area of the runner with the helmet, shoulder, or forearm, or commits some other act that is unnecessary roughness.
  • A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before contact by a defensive player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being contacted.

A head-first dive like the one in the game is considered falling to the ground and thus giving yourself up. It does not give extra protection, and you cannot continue running if you aren’t touched, but the ball is probably further forward than it would be with a feet-first slide.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/down-by-contact/

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

A head-first dive like the one in the game is considered falling to the ground and thus giving yourself up. It does not give extra protection, and you cannot continue running if you aren’t touched, but the ball is probably further forward than it would be with a feet-first slide.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/down-by-contact/

Well it does give extra protection in that a defender has to treat them as if they are already down by contact.

"sliding. When a runner slides feet or head first, or simulates sliding the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet, or begins to simulate touching the ground;
Notes:
Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact."

But you're right that they don't get the extra "defender must pull up" protection of the feet first slide.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Cognac McCarthy posted:

OH I thought we were talking about forward progress stopping when you dive. IE when you dive, you are down from where you dove since you are "giving yourself up" and forward progress stops. But I think what it actually means is it stops from where you hit the ground, not where you dive from?

Sorry Im being an idiot about this

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jivesauce posted:

Well it does give extra protection in that a defender has to treat them as if they are already down by contact.

"sliding. When a runner slides feet or head first, or simulates sliding the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet, or begins to simulate touching the ground;
Notes:
Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact."

But you're right that they don't get the extra "defender must pull up" protection of the feet first slide.

Thanks, missed that bit in the definitions.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't see what the issue is. If you're a qb running with the ball outside the pocket there shouldn't be any extra protections offered to you verse any other player with the ball. You're a runner at that point and they certainly don't make special rules for receivers and running backs getting blasted in the open field. Don't like it? loving bulk up.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

The head first thing is weird imo because if that’s the rule as of 2018 then maybe just say QBs can only slide feet first idk

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Highbrow Slick posted:

The head first thing is weird imo because if that’s the rule as of 2018 then maybe just say QBs can only slide feet first idk

The rule was originally that only a feet first slide conferred protection but a bunch of QBs suck at sliding and wouldn’t or couldn’t do it so they extended it to head first dives as well.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When Joe Burrow slides it always seems like he cleats the turf and catches his leg and every single time I think he's blowing up his knee again.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Eifert Posting posted:

When Joe Burrow slides it always seems like he cleats the turf and catches his leg and every single time I think he's blowing up his knee again.

wasn't this the joe flacco experience?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Edit

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 3, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Asproigerosis posted:

wasn't this the joe flacco experience?

Yep. After he came back from the ACL tear he wore a knee brace, and one time he took such a lovely slide that he broke the brace, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
How are so many QBs so completely dogshit at sliding, anyway? Michael Vick got professional coaching and still couldn't do it, IIRC, and while I'm now completely okay with Noted Shithead Carson Wentz charging headfirst into certain danger his inability to slide during his time as an Eagle was super frustrating to watch. I get they may have a mental block against wanting to slide in the first place, but it's not even about that, it's about just sucking rear end at dropping down feet-first.