Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

you mean Robertson, of course.
if you knew exactly what I meant when I said it then “square drive” is effective communication

in fact i’d argue square drive is meaningful to more people that “robertson” drive hence is better communication overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought of a socket set so theory destroyed

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

if you knew exactly what I meant when I said it then “square drive” is effective communication

in fact i’d argue square drive is meaningful to more people that “robertson” drive hence is better communication overall

yeah imo square drive can be this:

or this:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

yeah imo square drive can be this:

that’s the true square drive

Jonny 290 posted:

i thought of a socket set so theory destroyed

:negative:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

tk posted:

Here’s my package opening load out.

First is this safety cutter thing. Open boxes with reckless abandon. No exposed blades to cut you or the poo poo inside the box. Also good for envelops and getting through cardboard backing.

A Cricut weeder tool. Handy for getting shrink wrap off a thing without damaging the thing. Also handy for prying poo poo out of jenga box packaging.

I don’t know what these are. I otherwise call them my zip tie cutters. These are the least awkward way of getting through plastic packaging I’ve got. I’m sure there’s better though.

Wha. Just buy a Swiss army knife and put that stuff in a drawer.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

swiss army knives have the best nail scissors anywhere

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Buck Turgidson posted:

Wha. Just buy a Swiss army knife and put that stuff in a drawer.

I store that stuff in a drawer even without owning a Swiss Army knife!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Sagebrush posted:

you mean Robertson, of course.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
swiss army knives, man

domain of 11 and 65 year old nerds

everybody in between has better taste

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a leatherman :biglips:

but i don't carry a multitool around usually. they're heavy and i don't actually need pliers and screwdrivers in my bag at all times. my "EDC" (as the kids say these days) is a rather nice little snap-on branded 2" folding knife that i got in the checkout line at autozone.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

this is somewhat far afield, but do any of you have a butt set?

completely out of curiosity. i've only ever used them tangentially professionally with a telephone tech i was friendly with who taught me. no use case whatsoever for me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Negatory, but it was funny when the centurylink guys came out and had to do provisioning for my fiber ONT by jamming a butt set into the PHONE jack of it and dialing a magic code

you will probably not be surprised to learn this is my most frequently carried/used multitool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dioxazine posted:

this is somewhat far afield, but do any of you have a butt set?

completely out of curiosity. i've only ever used them tangentially professionally with a telephone tech i was friendly with who taught me. no use case whatsoever for me

i do, actually -- a fluke ts25d. my landlord, who used to be the head maintenance guy at one of the big sf housing projects, found it somewhere and gave it to me. the bed-of-nails alligator clips on the leads are insanely fancy and well made. i unscrewed them and attached banana plugs so i can use them in my multimeter.

i have no idea what to use it for, because i haven't had a landline telephone in fifteen years.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i believe the one he had was also a fluke! he would prank call executives from time to time with it from the telephony closet masquerading as a different extension

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i was a teen i got a princess phone at the flea market, cut the connector off the end and alligator clipped it. i had a 300 foot roll of speaker wire that i put modular plugs on one end and alligators on the other, and i'd sneak out after sundown, pop a green box, hook the 'butt set' to a line pair and call ANI to to make sure it wasn't our phone line, then hook up and call long distance BBSes. when i was done i just gave the wire run a yank from the house, it'd pull the alligator clips off and the green box lid would drop closed.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Fluke 77 is a hell of a multimeter that kicks rear end without costing as much as a car. My dad has a 77 mark 1, which is old enough to not have a single iota of yellow anywhere on it. Still works great. I've got a mark 4 and I'm pretty sure it will last the rest of my life and then some

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Jonny 290 posted:

swiss army knives, man

domain of 11 and 65 year old nerds

everybody in between has better taste

:coolslime:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I think they're neat plus no-one freaks out if you whip out a swiss army knife

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah, pulling out a 3" leatherman, that's gonna be the mineshaft canary that clues people in to the fact that i'm a weirdo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i got one of those pocket sized hand tool rescue wrenches and its neat but also you can drill a hole in the bottom so the screw on it tightens down on a 1/4" hex bit and it works great imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if the question is "why dont you just hold the bit in the jaws of the wrench" my response is "because the jaws dont stay real parallel and the bit slips sideways easily"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Visited a house today my in-laws were looking at, owned by an old and extremely catholic couple (crucifixes in every room, pictures of the pope etc). In the basement they had a fun old school tool collection

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tool tip: old files are made of good steel and should be repurposed, new files are just case hardened mild still and should not.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have a leatherman. its not a better knife than a knife but it has its uses.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i will never have a tool room or sick garage setup because im a soy millenial rentcuck :eng99: :cripes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in order to combine households with my fiancé we’re gonna have to convert her double garage to a bedroom and small storage area meaning workbench eliminated :cry: but needs must

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

distortion park posted:

Visited a house today my in-laws were looking at, owned by an old and extremely catholic couple (crucifixes in every room, pictures of the pope etc). In the basement they had a fun old school tool collection

i will take all the files, the draw knife, and whatever is unlocked by the little key (hoping it's a motorcycle). tia

rotor posted:

tool tip: old files are made of good steel and should be repurposed, new files are just case hardened mild still and should not.

you can still buy good quality new files but you pay through the nose for them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you know? every tooth on a rasp is made by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MtfBSt0oqY

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

i got one of those pocket sized hand tool rescue wrenches and its neat but also you can drill a hole in the bottom so the screw on it tightens down on a 1/4" hex bit and it works great imo

this is just a monkey wrench

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you're teling me a monkey made this wrench?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

post your monkey wrench then

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no a monkey wrench is the "eeeeerectin a dispenser" type wrench

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
CLANK

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
what they need to make is a little black carabineer that has a hard-to-poke-yourself-with philips head bit, flat head bit, and one of those occluded box cutters.

I want to be able to break apart cardboard boxes without needing another thing cluttering up my pockets, but so far nothing is quite right

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
tried this thing and it is way more bracelet than im comfortable wearing, and too pokey to pick up the kids with it on, but otherwise very close to needs suiting:

https://i.imgur.com/0FHcw3C.gifv

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

post your monkey wrench then

got this one at some thrift shop in american canyon

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

tried this thing and it is way more bracelet than im comfortable wearing, and too pokey to pick up the kids with it on, but otherwise very close to needs suiting:

https://i.imgur.com/0FHcw3C.gifv

how does their multitool watch band have dlc?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Leatherman is from Portland, Oregon