Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

parking that bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
dont they have tech so it beeps in their ear if the ball goes over the line?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

whypick1 posted:

If the likes of Germany and Belgium can't advance maybe we should stop awarding so many spots to UEFA.

agreed

16-team world cup, only teams who've won it before can play plus mexico, scotland and japan

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Someone's going to make a Twitter thread about how this perfectly encapsulates the psyche of every Japanese person.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

stab posted:

Lol the only CONCACAF team to survive is the USA

Owns

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

poty posted:

Probably!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

TheRat posted:

So has anyone suggested spain lost on purpose yet? Because that's a very fortunate bracket

They did not seem to care at all the last 5 minutes or so. No urgency whatsoever

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/kikomartin/status/1598424144907227137

https://twitter.com/FootballRamble/status/1598430303114383361

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1598430148256272384

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
can i get in a bag and get usb charged?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chaoslord posted:

The AR would have had to make that call, would not have been the center ref. TV was saying AR put the flag up, but I never saw a replay showing that. That said, the AR only moved like, one yard up the touchline after the goal, so they were talking through comms about the play and I guess the AR said it went over the line.

Is this the first time VAR eliminated a team in the group stages like that? I dont remember it happening in 2018

I've looked at the replay many times and the AR very deliberately holds his flag down the entire time. He was also in an absolutely awful position to see it. Like, how can you call that out from here:

He's like 30 yards away and there's at least one player and a post obstructing his view. And as I said, at no point does he raise his flag. Are you not required to raise your flag and can just call it over the mic?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I remember back in what, 2014 or something Spain were playing Russia and they hosed around at 1-0 with sideways passes for 70 minutes and then conceded and didn't have enough time to get it back and I lolled heartily

I'm still bitter about them knocking Switzerland out at the Euros so I'm hoping they get exposed as the fraudiest or fraud frauds to ever fraud

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Hatchi matchi

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Love some freshly charged balls, me

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ooof?

https://twitter.com/kikomartin/status/1598427597519536128

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What a photo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Don't mention the Var

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
thank you Samurai Blues for humiliating Spain

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Possession, like every single other stat other than goals and yellow cards, is fake as hell

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1598431720759500804?t=Ku79_ebOSH4Pmqjf8vXY3g&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

For the record I think the ball was in, I think the on-field decision was that the ball was in and I think VAR confirmed that the ball was in. I'm just trying to figure out why the commentators are furiously going on about the on-field decision being it was out, and this is a scandal/controversy or whatever.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

poty posted:

They have that for Goal / No Goal decisions. All the cameras for it are pointed at the goal and focus on the crossbar. It'd be really annoying to get a little beep every time a shot went into row Z or whatever.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

AnacondaHL posted:

this thread

This is good but i need german tears

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TheRat posted:

For the record I think the ball was in, I think the on-field decision was that the ball was in and I think VAR confirmed that the ball was in. I'm just trying to figure out why the commentators are furiously going on about the on-field decision being it was out, and this is a scandal/controversy or whatever.

Because commentators are poo poo and don’t know the rules of the game they’re paid millions to talk about

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I appreciate how Germany came in needing help from Spain and then there was a glorious moment when Spain also needed help from Germany

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

*wakes up* hmm wonder how much Japan lost by

Lmao

I even saw part of the first half.

Lol. Lmao. This drat team. Japanese TV is going to be insufferable for a few days.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Absolutely disgusting that Germany didn’t put in some own goals when the Japan v Spain FT came through to send the Spanish out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol that Germany did Spain a big favor while Spain just faffed around for 90 minutes with no intention of returning it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Vegetable posted:

Lol that Germany did Spain a big favor while Spain just faffed around for 90 minutes with no intention of returning it.

If Enrique didn’t realise they were out for a while there’s a good chance they just weren’t aware

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TheRat posted:

I've looked at the replay many times and the AR very deliberately holds his flag down the entire time. He was also in an absolutely awful position to see it. Like, how can you call that out from here:

He's like 30 yards away and there's at least one player and a post obstructing his view. And as I said, at no point does he raise his flag. Are you not required to raise your flag and can just call it over the mic?

I don't see any replay showing the flag going up so I'm just trying to work backwards here from what I do know. On a good goal, the AR would move up the field to confirm to the referee that he has a goal. In this instance, he takes like one, maybe two steps, and then stops dead. That tells me him and the center are having a conversation on the comms. I don't believe the center would make that call. The goal line is the ARs and the AR, albeit screened like you said, has the best chance of anyone on the field to see it. I don't know what the conversation on the field was but it was a quick one and then the referee blew for the ball out of play. I could be wrong and maybe the conversation was something like "I think it might have been out" "Are you sure?" "I'm not" "Ok well I'll call it out". It's hard for me to really see the world where the Center tells the AR "lets just go goal kick", but, the AR doesn't look sure so maybe that is what happened? I thought the TV Commentator said the flag went up but I have yet to find a replay to confirm that. The AR definitely should not be communicating decisions over the Comms only - if it was his call he needed to put the flag up at some point. I'm not sure if he did or not, which is obviously bad. But the AR definitely Had Questions about what he just saw based on his reaction.

I believe that the referee blew for the ball out of play as the call on the field based on the reaction of the players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWrVyyd3U4

Ball is in the net at 2:31. Player runs off to celebrate. While he's running off, the referee turns to face the AR and then, rather than point to the center circle, looks to me to be moving the whistle to his mouth. The camera cuts and you see the Japanese player celebrating and then he stops celebrating and looks back at the referee. One of the substitutes gives the "what???" shrug. The substitutes that had ran down the touchline to start celebrating then start moving quickly back to the bench and the field players for Japan start moving back up field fast rather than coming over to celebrate. The referee then gives the "stop" motion in the direction of the goalkeeper. All of that, to me, reads as the referee blew for a goal kick, the Japanese players began retreating to get back quickly, and then the referee held up play for VAR to check. I think if he had given it as a goal on the field we wouldn't have seen the celebration stop dead like it did and the players not involved start to move as they did.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Stoked to be wrong about absolutely everything re: todays football. Shame Costa Rica couldn’t keep the triangles out but You Can’t Win Em All

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

what a crazy evening, just the best kind of group stage insanity

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Bourricot posted:

what a crazy evening, just the best kind of group stage insanity

70 to 73 were the greatest three minutes of this cursed World Cup.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

britishbornandbread posted:

Absolutely disgusting that Germany didn’t put in some own goals when the Japan v Spain FT came through to send the Spanish out.

Same with Mexico yesterday when they had the opportunity to take Argentina out with them

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Japan and their fans going to tidy Germany up with the rest of the rubbish before they go home tonight, so respectful 👏👏👏

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chaoslord posted:

I don't see any replay showing the flag going up so I'm just trying to work backwards here from what I do know. On a good goal, the AR would move up the field to confirm to the referee that he has a goal. In this instance, he takes like one, maybe two steps, and then stops dead. That tells me him and the center are having a conversation on the comms. I don't believe the center would make that call. The goal line is the ARs and the AR, albeit screened like you said, has the best chance of anyone on the field to see it. I don't know what the conversation on the field was but it was a quick one and then the referee blew for the ball out of play. I could be wrong and maybe the conversation was something like "I think it might have been out" "Are you sure?" "I'm not" "Ok well I'll call it out". It's hard for me to really see the world where the Center tells the AR "lets just go goal kick", but, the AR doesn't look sure so maybe that is what happened? I thought the TV Commentator said the flag went up but I have yet to find a replay to confirm that. The AR definitely should not be communicating decisions over the Comms only - if it was his call he needed to put the flag up at some point. I'm not sure if he did or not, which is obviously bad. But the AR definitely Had Questions about what he just saw based on his reaction.

I believe that the referee blew for the ball out of play as the call on the field based on the reaction of the players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWrVyyd3U4

Ball is in the net at 2:31. Player runs off to celebrate. While he's running off, the referee turns to face the AR and then, rather than point to the center circle, looks to me to be moving the whistle to his mouth. The camera cuts and you see the Japanese player celebrating and then he stops celebrating and looks back at the referee. One of the substitutes gives the "what???" shrug. The substitutes that had ran down the touchline to start celebrating then start moving quickly back to the bench and the field players for Japan start moving back up field fast rather than coming over to celebrate. The referee then gives the "stop" motion in the direction of the goalkeeper. All of that, to me, reads as the referee blew for a goal kick, the Japanese players began retreating to get back quickly, and then the referee held up play for VAR to check. I think if he had given it as a goal on the field we wouldn't have seen the celebration stop dead like it did and the players not involved start to move as they did.

Here the Japanese players are upset about the decision and the AR still definitely has his flag down. As you I've watched every replay I can find and I have still not seen one where the flag goes up.

I also can't find one where I see the centre signalling for a goal kick, all I can find is one where he holds a hand to his ear, blows his whistle and gives the "hold up, give me second" hand signal.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

britishbornandbread posted:

70 to 73 were the greatest three minutes of this cursed World Cup.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lol gently caress Germany

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/oliver_hopkins/status/1598422217531875328?t=8h3AuXBAV4iej_prtArUMw&s=19

Maybe xG is just poo poo?

As proved ITF*

*In this forum

Also begging football fans to learn about Parallax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Also begging football fans to learn about Parallax

What about spheres?