Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk why i'm mad about it again but i am so here's a thread about it.

first i made a long effortpost about it here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h__zP17eMoSXntHq6Jo7nKxRB8DoCOcVZ794Qd4LEA4/ please feel free to share that far & wide

Its just so nuts to me that people still do this. Like imagine being that Mastodon guy, working for like years and years for no money and then some maga chuds show up, fork his stuff and create Truth Social and he can't do poo poo about it except be mad.

Just keep the rights for yourself. If you want to share it with your friends, you can, just send it do them and tell the them its ok. If its important to some organization you think is a valid recipient of your charity, give them a license for it. Dont just give it away.

You (should) have responsibility for the things you create. Make sure bad people can't use your stuff. Dont just leave it laying around for just anyone to pick up and use. Don't work for exposure. Don't let your vanity drive you to do volunteer work for Donald fuckin Trump, even transitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lending my support to this thread, as i strongly believe we need more manifestos posted in yospos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the problem open source or the licence?

unreal engine is open source innit? I mean you can download the source and compile it yourself?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
your open source is a pos

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

sorry rotor we really let you down

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aw frig aw dang it posted:

sorry rotor we really let you down

its ok, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Just make better choices in the future.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Honestly, I wholly agree. What do you think the first steps towards actualizing this concept would be? Seems like an initiative I'd want to actively participate in.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

lending my support to this thread, as i strongly believe we need more manifestos posted in yospos

hell yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Honestly, I wholly agree. What do you think the first steps towards actualizing this concept would be? Seems like an initiative I'd want to actively participate in.

Step One: stop releasing code under any open source licence.
Step Two: that's it, your done, case closed
Step Three: maybe talk to your friends and convince them to follow suit

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh I meant more for the Software Trust concept you mention towards the end, I think that would be the big thing to help with wider adoption.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
talk to your friends about overly-permissive licenses... before someone else does

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

InternetOfTwinks posted:

i’ll start writing the wiki

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I guess it would be nice to have some boilerplate licences that say "(c) rotor 2022, all rights reserved, blah blee blah" and then a boilerplate license you can give to someone to use your source code as either a library or a process or whatever for some given amount of time.

Basically just swipe commercial license boilerplate and use it, along with a disavowal of liability and so forth.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Oh I meant more for the Software Trust concept you mention towards the end, I think that would be the big thing to help with wider adoption.

yeah thats something I'd like to see but honestly its more of a job for any enterprising lawyers in the audience than some yokel like me. If there are any such lawyers that want to talk about it, please get in touch.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I have technical opinions about how the process of aquiring licences would be integrated into build systems but like how the legal structure is built i dont know.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I feel like it should be straightforward but ??

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

some open source licences make people like RMS really mad. those are good ones.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there are no good open sources licences but the gpl is the least awful

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

idk why i'm mad about it again but i am so here's a thread about it.

first i made a long effortpost about it here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h__zP17eMoSXntHq6Jo7nKxRB8DoCOcVZ794Qd4LEA4/ please feel free to share that far & wide

Its just so nuts to me that people still do this. Like imagine being that Mastodon guy, working for like years and years for no money and then some maga chuds show up, fork his stuff and create Truth Social and he can't do poo poo about it except be mad.

Just keep the rights for yourself. If you want to share it with your friends, you can, just send it do them and tell the them its ok. If its important to some organization you think is a valid recipient of your charity, give them a license for it. Dont just give it away.

You (should) have responsibility for the things you create. Make sure bad people can't use your stuff. Dont just leave it laying around for just anyone to pick up and use. Don't work for exposure. Don't let your vanity drive you to do volunteer work for Donald fuckin Trump, even transitively.

I just saw some nerds fighting yesterday about Ghost. Apparently substack is just Ghost w/ marketing muscle and some good author negotiators? Or they just copied a theme API idk

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
my new open source license makes my software free to use but you need to perform an act of self immolation first

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hed posted:

I just saw some nerds fighting yesterday about Ghost. Apparently substack is just Ghost w/ marketing muscle and some good author negotiators? Or they just copied a theme API idk

many such cases

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

many such cases

on one hand I feel bad that some techbros with marketing came in and took it but otoh that's what they signed up for I guess

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hed posted:

on one hand I feel bad that some techbros with marketing came in and took it but otoh that's what they signed up for I guess

it exactly is what they signed up for but I cant really imagine they're happy about it, hence this thread.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Hed posted:

I think Ghost is just a boring rock band, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it good to expect all developers to reinvent the wheel

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

is it good to expect all developers to reinvent the wheel

no, why do you ask?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

there are no good open sources licences but the gpl is the least awful

the GPL is the most awful. it's just stallman wanting to infect everything with his zealotry

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the GPL is the most awful.

this is incorrect, please report to the manifesto for reneducation

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rotor posted:

this is incorrect, please report to the manifesto for reneducation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

i thought it was the opposite, ghost launched (or at least gained popularity) after substack, because people were upset about some questionable publishers being accepted (and maybe promoted?) on the substack platform. idk if im remembering that right tho

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
tcp/ip stacks should NOT be free and that's the only way we can properly gatekeep the internet

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i refuse to pay for stack resets

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i do not program the computer but all the primary open source players seem to be disgusting manchildren or sex creeps so i support this thread

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i have only contributed to one open source project and its gpl 3 affagato or whatever to make it as unpleasant as possibe to anyone to use

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i read the manifesto and i think it was interesting.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yes we know he's gross

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

i do not program the computer but all the primary open source players seem to be disgusting manchildren or sex creeps so i support this thread

unfortunately I have some distressing news about all the primary closed source players

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i have only contributed to one open source project and its gpl 3 affagato or whatever to make it as unpleasant as possibe to anyone to use

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

unfortunately I have some distressing news about all the primary closed source players

i don't know who they are or am unlikely to meet them whereas rms could spring from any appropriately sized pile of dirty rags