Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
computer touchers spend more time thinking about software licenses than normal people spend thinking about food, sex, and shelter combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cat Face Joe posted:

i don't know who they are or am unlikely to meet them whereas rms could spring from any appropriately sized pile of dirty rags

well i mean yeah this is certainly true

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

i don't know who they are or am unlikely to meet them whereas rms could spring from any appropriately sized pile of dirty rags

clean your room or rms will get ya!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

no, why do you ask?

without open source every computer user would need to program their own operating system

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

without enforcement this will be difficult to bring those transitively responsible for harm to justice. under the JDPON, we'll

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i have only contributed to one open source project and its gpl 3 affagato or whatever to make it as unpleasant as possibe to anyone to use

o7

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i opened a pr for some open source go library a couple years back to close an open issue that seemed simple. the maintainer made me agree to some CLA and then marked the pr as a breaking change and afaik it’s still open to this day

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

carry on then posted:

without enforcement this will be difficult to bring those transitively responsible for harm to justice. under the JDPON, we'll

me and manny from the BSA just goin door to door with tire irons

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

without open source every computer user would need to program their own operating system

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

The Junior Developers Party of Oppressed Noobs

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I think Ghost is just a boring rock band, op

somebody call for an exterminator?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
The topic of today's business meeting is Tim J. Hudson, who was born again. What this means for us practically is that we need to roll our own openssl implementation, or we can give into his demands that we fire any employees who have ever had an abortion.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there is but one type of computer user, and that user is Richard stallman

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

The topic of today's business meeting is Tim J. Hudson, who was born again. What this means for us practically is that we need to roll our own openssl implementation, or we can give into his demands that we fire any employees who have ever had an abortion.

perhaps your business should … pay??? for the things it needs?? idk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

Step One: stop releasing code under any open source licence.
Step Two: that's it, your done, case closed
Step Three: maybe talk to your friends and convince them to follow suit

what about gpl

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Let's be fair, the dozens of boutique business that sprouted up around the open sourcing of Stable Diffusion hadn't just not heard of google and openai's text-to-image, as-a-service apis. They took the open source Stable Diffusion project, built on top of it, and used it to walk away from otherwise soul crushing jobs to do passion projects full time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

what about gpl

still doesnt address problems 1&3

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

still doesnt address problems 1&3

dont help evil people & don treat open sores as a resume?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

Let's be fair, the dozens of boutique business that sprouted up around the open sourcing of Stable Diffusion hadn't just not heard of google and openai's text-to-image, as-a-service apis. They took the open source Stable Diffusion project, built on top of it, and used it to walk away from otherwise soul crushing jobs to do passion projects full time.

ok that doesnt really address any of the issues in the manifesto but even if it did, come on, those aren’t passion projects theyre start ups

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

dont help evil people & don treat open sores as a resume?

yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

are you saying i made a mistake publishing this to github http://deadfoxygrandpa.github.io/Beer/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like if we’re just posting that’s cool but if we’re gonna have a real conversation about it you should probably read the thing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Free Software allowed my to quit the daily grind and pursue my own passion project: jerking off all day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im just posting as i actually read through it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

im just posting as i actually read through it

very good sir

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i actually think problem #1 should be the least important because its functionally impossible to entirely avoid it while still living in society. im not saying you should seek out ways to help zuck but everyone has to deal with the reality of it, not just software touchers. even a farmer's food might end up on jeff bozo's table or something. i think any solution that exists to that problem lies in not empowering people like that in society in the first place

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that is to say, i dont really see an example like inkscape being a real problem. i think stuff like that is probably good, on the whole

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I mean, the issue is with the revocable license. What's to say you and I agree on who the evil people are. What's to say that stays true ten, thirty years from now? There aren't alternatives to some of these open source projects, so my options are either live with a timebomb or, idk, openjdk the thing I need.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Make a spinoff of the GPL that only extends permissions to natural persons. Put some clauses in there saying you can't use it in the course of your employment, under direction from employer blah blah blah. Businesses have to purchase a licence from you. Problem. Solved. Forever. :mario:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

just write really bad software that no one else would want to use. problem solved,

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

post hole digger posted:

just write really bad software that no one else would want to use. problem solved,

way ahead of you pal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

i actually think problem #1 should be the least important because its functionally impossible to entirely avoid it while still living in society.

its actually pretty easy, its just hard to solve the problem with zero effort on the part of software authors. Just dont give your sofware away, problem solved.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the only way anyone would ever want anything I ever made was if it was free, no one would ever pay for anything I created

hence free software is necessary

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

I mean, the issue is with the revocable license. What's to say you and I agree on who the evil people are.

we definitely dont have to agree

quote:

What's to say that stays true ten, thirty years from now?

no one, thats why its important that its revokable. People change, on both sides.

quote:

There aren't alternatives to some of these open source projects, so my options are either live with a timebomb or, idk, openjdk the thing I need.

Are they really your options? or are they your jobs options?

but yeah its wild that we've built all this on volunteer work and I'd argue that its been an immense migration and concentration of wealth in the hands of very few because of it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Buck Turgidson posted:

Make a spinoff of the GPL that only extends permissions to natural persons. Put some clauses in there saying you can't use it in the course of your employment, under direction from employer blah blah blah. Businesses have to purchase a licence from you. Problem. Solved. Forever. :mario:

no but thanks for popping in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

its actually pretty easy, its just hard to solve the problem with zero effort on the part of software authors. Just dont give your sofware away, problem solved.

yes its easy to solve in the narrow sense of, who can possible benefit from this specific project. but i dont see that as the real issue.

presumably you still go to work for a company and produce things for a society which empowers all those people you dont want to help. if the guys writing inkscape have decided they value giving inkscape away so that a bunch of nerds can have fun making their crappy vector art outweighs the risk that an evil person might create some crappy vector art, they might be right

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Oh. So this is like a union-y thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its easy in the sense of, contributing nothing of value to society solves all these same problems. just be a gutterpunk, its easy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the other 2 problems need to be solved with something like a software guild, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I think as long as we all agree Affero GPL is the worst this will have been a productive discussion.