Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Saint Iker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Referee: Szymon MARCINIAK (POL)
AR1: Pawel Sokolnicki (POL)
AR2: Tomasz Listkiewicz (POL)
Fourth Official: Ismail Elfath (USA)
Fifth Official: Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)
VAR: Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL)
AVAR (1): Juan Soto (VEN)
Offside AVAR (2): Kyle Atkins (USA)
Support AVAR (3): Fernando Guerrero (MEX)
Stand-by Offside AVAR (4): Corey Parker (USA)
Stand-by VAR (5): Bastian Dankert (GER)

As an American, I'm going to take a quick paragraph to praise the American delegation to the World Cup, so feel free to skip ahead to the next to skip that. Ismail Elfath, what could have been! An amazing World Cup and a well deserved appointment. And all 5 members from the US (Elfath's Trio + Nesbitt + Villareal in VAR) made a medal game between this and the Third Place match. At 40 years old, he will be at the next world cup and, if Ramos finally gets set aside, would probably be viewed as the #1 non-UEFA / non-CONMEBOL referee. This could lead to good things, but it could also end in disaster - Faghani was in that position this time and crashed himself out of the tournament with a bad VAR acceptance in a premier game.

Ok on to Marciniak. Looking back on the assignments, it seems like it was always the plan for Szymon to have the game if a UEFA official were allowed to have it. On MD2 he worked France v Denmark, a solid match, and then did not work in the groups again. He was one of... two? I think referees retained (with Frappart being the other) having only worked a single group game. That immediately jumps out at you. He then worked Argentina Australia in the Round of 16. And then he made the second cut after the quarterfinals. At that point it seemed like it would take an injury to really derail him. Anthony Taylor and Danny Makkellie were both retained as well, but Argentina would never allow a Dutch referee after their match with Netherlands, and Anthony Taylor... well, I think he would have been fine, but would he have been anyone's preferred referee? Probably not.

Marciniak has an interesting history. He worked in the 2018 world cup in two group stage matches, Argentina Iceland and Germany Sweden. I don't particularly remember those games as noteworthy so I'm thinking they went fine. He got the UEFA Super Cup between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in 2018, which, while a glorified friendly, is always going to be a tough one. That season, he also had a round of 16 matchup in the Champions League, and then the following season he had a round of 16 matchup and a quarterfinal one. His career was clearly trending upward. And then... well, he started falling apart. He didn't make Euro 2020. He just quickly became a really poor official. He was struggling with his decisions and his fitness, it was a little tough to watch. He had developed Tachycardia and that put him in a place where it looked like he may never be a top referee again.

However, he has clearly gotten past it. This past season in the Champions League he worked 4 times in the groups (Liverpool 3 Milan 2; Man United 3 Atalanta 2; Bayern 5 Benfica 2; and Sheriff 0 Real Madrid 3), 2 times in the Round of 16 (Inter 0 Liverpool 2 and Juventus 0 Villareal 3), a quarterfinal (Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 3 AET), and a semi final (Liverpool 2 Villareal 0), demonstrating that he has both gotten back to where he needed to from a fitness and decision making standpoint. And so far this Champions League he worked another 4 group stage matches (Atletico 2 Porto 1; Barca 3 Inter 3; Zagreb 0 Milan 4; and Marseille 1 Spurs 2). I almost wonder when he has had time to work the Polish league over the last year! But he came riding into the World Cup in top form, did good on his matches, and avoided any controversy. He kept his hands clean and this is his reward.

An fun fact about AR2 Tomasz Listkiewicz - his father was an AR on the 1990 world cup final. Almost certainly the first father / son duo to have this match.

The VAR, Kwiatkowski, was an interesting choice to me. Obviously, he's Polish, and they have worked plenty together before, so that will expedite communication. But I dont remember him working as a main VAR apart from Marciniak. I would have assumed the position might go to a VAR who had had many games and done really well with them but it looks like FIFA decided the communication and familiarity may be more important - same reason as why referees (mostly) only work with the two ARs they brought with them.

So, I think Marciniak is a really good ref. But I am worried that this match is set up for failure. With the way misconduct has mostly been handled this tournament, this could get into some CONCACAF level madhousing. Mbappe got clattered throughout the semifinal and it is easy to chalk that up to Ramos being a poor referee (I certainly do that). But if Argentina saw that, why not have a defender put in a meaty challenge early to see what the referee will do? We know that early cautions are hard enough to come by in league matches at times, doubly so for cup finals, and I think probably triply so for the world cup final. The first caution in the last final was given in like the 28th minute and I'm not sure it would be given in this tournament. In 2014 it was like 30 minutes in and similarly probably could get away with it today. In 2010 it was 15 minutes, but at that point there had been two or three that Webb should have gotten before then. So this goes against "no early cards" but I would say if it takes the third one to get it, it still fits. 2006 was in the 5th minute, but there should have been one in the 1st.

All that is to say: Argentina may decide to clatter Mbappe until the referee does something about it. I hope Marciniak would step up to the plate and have no doubt he would in the Champions League, but I do have a little doubt about it in the World Cup Final, as I would with any referee. If France doesn't like the treatment, they may respond in kind. And it could just spiral from there. Or from the other angle, it seems really hard to get a SPA or persistent offense card in this tournament, so if you're France, why not just give Messi a little kick at midfield anytime he has the ball? Nothing reckless that would be a yellow on its own, just one of those technical ones.

These things probably wont happen and it will probably be fine, again I think Marciniak is really solid and a great choice for the match, but that's just how we get to worst case scenario.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
trashbag spotted

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
this is it boys. iker casillas and someone wearing a pirates of the caribbean costume just brought out the cup

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fi_____nal

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Excited for the fi___nal

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mods rename the thread to Fi___nal pls

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

chaoslord posted:

An fun fact about AR2 Tomasz Listkiewicz - his father was an AR on the 1990 world cup final. Almost certainly the first father / son duo to have this match.

Hell yeah these are the stats I crave. Thank u refman you are a credit to TRP

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

chaoslord posted:

All that is to say: Argentina may decide to clatter Mbappe until the referee does something about it. I hope Marciniak would step up to the plate and have no doubt he would in the Champions League, but I do have a little doubt about it in the World Cup Final, as I would with any referee. If France doesn't like the treatment, they may respond in kind. And it could just spiral from there. Or from the other angle, it seems really hard to get a SPA or persistent offense card in this tournament, so if you're France, why not just give Messi a little kick at midfield anytime he has the ball? Nothing reckless that would be a yellow on its own, just one of those technical ones.

agree op considering how card-shy the refs have been nothing short of a beheading is getting a yellow card in the first half probably

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Allez Les Bleus, gently caress Marco Materazzi forever.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
We got this, let’s go Argentina

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

hell yeah boys let's go

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
strong anthem game by Argentina, but here comes the Marseillaise...

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Argentina, just like Leeds, is the whites. Go Argentina

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

vyelkin posted:

strong anthem game by Argentina, but here comes the Marseillaise...

Surprisingly strong

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
*Dybala-face*

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Zoom into Messi's face more

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm here we can start now

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

every other country wished they had as good an anthem as France

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Macron's appearance means I must support Argentina

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I guess I want France to win? Idk. Not sure I even care anymore

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I'm here we can start now

Welcome

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

King of False Promises posted:

The Russian National Anthem exists.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I guess I want France to win? Idk. Not sure I even care anymore

Goodbye.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I know we all hate messi and he's a poo poo little tippy tappy fraud but

1) he's been at the top of the table for pretty much the entire lifespan of this forum so I wouldn't begrudge him a storybook end to his international career

2) France didn't call up Ilan meslier to be their backup keeper so gently caress em

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Ref trying to channel Collina energy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

King of False Promises posted:

Italy would like a word

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I have no connection to France, but the Marseillaise always gives me goosebumps

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Forceholy posted:

nobody likes an instrumental version

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Forceholy posted:

it's no Soviet Union

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
just remembered i got france in the sweep lol, allez les bleu

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
imagine if messi has the game of his life and the rest of the team just absolutely bottles it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doesn't look like people will be able to foul their way to victory currently

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

give me PENOS

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
2 fouls for ARG in the first minute, gunna be a long night imo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

france starting off full aggro

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

France not wearing their good kit massive disappointment

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Hand Knit posted:

imagine if messi has the game of his life and the rest of the team just absolutely bottles it

Wasn't that 2014 sorta?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If Marcus thuram gets on the pitch will they be the first father and son world cup winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Imagine an all out brawl between both teams WAGs