Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finish your resolution?
Yes
No
I’m just doing this as a long term banme
View Results

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Srice posted:

Sometime around the middle of last year I decided on a whim to embark on a project, to watch every single 2022 anime movie. Because of the way anime movie availability goes, that's still in progress so I figured heck why not make it a resolution. By the end of the year I will have watched every 2022 anime movie that is readily available in English.

For simplicity's sake I'll use the Japanese theatrical release date to define 2022 movies, just because it'd be a hassle to manually track it otherwise. And readily available is defined as being available to watch at home either thru streaming, digital rental, or fansubs. I try to catch things theatrically when I can but sometimes it doesn't pan out what with most anime movies getting like two or three weekday evening showings around here and that's it, so while I'll certainly try to do that with the 2022 movies getting a brief 2023 release, it's no guarantee. Also these days it's harder and harder to determine what counts as a movie so I'll likely have to use my own discretion sometimes.

Anyways I whipped up a Letterboxd list of what I have seen so far and how I rank 'em, and will be adding to the list over the course of the year.

https://letterboxd.com/srice/list/2022-anime-movies-ranked/

Even though it's not on that list because it came out 2021 in Japan, I still recommend checking out pompo the cinephile if you haven't seen it yet. It was my favorite movie I saw in theaters in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Even though it's not on that list because it came out 2021 in Japan, I still recommend checking out pompo the cinephile if you haven't seen it yet. It was my favorite movie I saw in theaters in 2022.

I was fortunate enough to catch it in theaters. It rules!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Hard to put my finger on any one factor, but last year had me running into 70's anime as a topic often enough that I started to feel my inexperience with the decade. Some research into how I could address this did reveal likely reasons why: shows often having bloated episode counts, lack of available subtitles, and a small stable of staff and commercially-viable genres to draw from. Despite this, I think I've got a decent and reasonably varied starting point to work from for an anime resolution this year.

So in 2023 I will, at the very least, complete the following series:
  1. Neo Human Casshan (1973), the Tatsunoko hero series (35 episodes)
  2. Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978), the Leijiverse series directed by Rintaro (42 episodes)
  3. Future Boy Conan (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Hayao Miyazaki (26 episodes)
  4. Treasure Island (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (26 episodes)
  5. Rose of Versailles (1979), the historical shoujo manga adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (40 episodes)
  6. Anne of Green Gables (1979), the novel adaptation and first officially-labeled World Masterpiece Theatre series, directed by Isao Takahata (50 episodes)
There are some ways I would've liked to broaden the net cast here by including titles from the start-middle of the decade, more typical of popular genres like mecha and sports, or those where other creators were involved. Trying to avoid an abundance of Dezaki was also an issue I had...but these 6 series were what I had on hand or could easily access.

Assuming I complete those 6, the next set of titles to further fill in gaps would be:
  1. Ace o Nerae! (1973, Sports/Dezaki)
  2. Getter Robo (1974, Ishikawa/Nagai)
  3. Space Battleship Yamato (1974, Leijiverse)
  4. Hurricane Polymar (1974, Tatsunoko hero)
  5. Devilman (1972, Go Nagai)
  6. Ashita no Joe (1970, Sports/Dezaki)
No promises made on the second set, they just round out a list of 12 for a theoretical 1-a-month pace despite differing episode counts and only starting this in earnest halfway through January. If anyone has more good, subtitled 70's suggestions to help me escape mecha and Dezaki, I'm all ears as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

Hard to put my finger on any one factor, but last year had me running into 70's anime as a topic often enough that I started to feel my inexperience with the decade. Some research into how I could address this did reveal likely reasons why: shows often having bloated episode counts, lack of available subtitles, and a small stable of staff and commercially-viable genres to draw from. Despite this, I think I've got a decent and reasonably varied starting point to work from for an anime resolution this year.

2. Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978), the Leijiverse series directed by Rintaro (42 episodes)
  3. Future Boy Conan (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Hayao Miyazaki (26 episodes)
  4. Treasure Island (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (26 episodes)
  5. Rose of Versailles (1979), the historical shoujo manga adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (40 episodes)
  6. Anne of Green Gables (1979), the novel adaptation and first officially-labeled World Masterpiece Theatre series, directed by Isao Takahata (50 episodes)
There are some ways I would've liked to broaden the net cast here by including titles from the start-middle of the decade, more typical of popular genres like mecha and sports, or those where other creators were involved. Trying to avoid an abundance of Dezaki was also an issue I had...but these 6 series were what I had on hand or could easily access.

Assuming I complete those 6, the next set of titles to further fill in gaps would be:
No promises made on the second set, they just round out a list of 12 for a theoretical 1-a-month pace despite differing episode counts and only starting this in earnest halfway through January. If anyone has more good, subtitled 70's suggestions to help me escape mecha and Dezaki, I'm all ears as well.

Have you seen the original Gundam? It's one of the few shows I've completed from the era, and it holds up better than you might think.

Of course, even it isn't as memorable as the standout anime of the 70s or, perhaps, of any decade. The legendary Chargeman Ken. I'm forced to consider any anime fan's journey incomplete without this unique experience.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yep, I've got the slightest bit of 70's TV anime under my belt through First Gundam, Lupin III Part I, and Voltes V. Voltes V was a new addition last year which I ended up loving, but for this year I felt like giving the Robot Romance shows a resting period (plus Combattler is long and Daimos is very late 70s). Chargeman Ken at 65 episodes of infamously (so) bad (it's good) anime is probably too steep a cost for this, but I should chip at it someday.

Other Tomino mecha from the era are definitely on mind, Zambot 3 at a breezy 23 episodes and Daitarn 3 a reasonable 40, but I suppose being more familiar with his work I deprioritized them as well.

haypliss fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 15, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

haypliss posted:

Galaxy Express 999?

I doubt you need to watch all of it. It sometimes feels like a sci fi anthology with the train and main characters as common elements.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

Yep, I've got the slightest bit of 70's TV anime under my belt through First Gundam, Lupin III Part I, and Voltes V. Voltes V was a new addition last year which I ended up loving, but for this year I felt like giving the Robot Romance shows a resting period (plus Combattler is long and Daimos is very late 70s). Chargeman Ken at 65 episodes of infamously (so) bad (it's good) anime is probably too steep a cost for this, but I should chip at it someday.

Other Tomino mecha from the era are definitely on mind, Zambot 3 at a breezy 23 episodes and Daitarn 3 a reasonable 40, but I suppose being more familiar with his work I deprioritized them as well.

65 episodes, but they're about five minutes each. It's a much quicker watch than most.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

sb hermit posted:

Galaxy Express 999?

I doubt you need to watch all of it. It sometimes feels like a sci fi anthology with the train and main characters as common elements.

It and Lupin III Part 2 were ones I figured could be under an "x amount of total episodes" clause, I'd like to have some sort of comparison point for the GE999 movies.

chiasaur11 posted:

65 episodes, but they're about five minutes each. It's a much quicker watch than most.

I must've glazed over and just read it as 25 or 26 minutes. A ~13 episode equivalent ain't so bad.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

haypliss posted:

It and Lupin III Part 2 were ones I figured could be under an "x amount of total episodes" clause, I'd like to have some sort of comparison point for the GE999 movies.

Fair enough. I really liked the series and binged watched it despite the length.

Only the original series, though, not the movies or expansions or remakes or etc.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Toxx: I will watch up to eight hours (two seasons) of whatever anime the next poster names and write a review of it within this year, so long as it isn't pedo poo poo or anything else obviously obnoxious.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

*races into the thread* K-ON!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

arifureta

gently caress

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

IK is slow and weak

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i was busy cleaning up various emissions from our infirm dog i'm operating with weighted clothing

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Namtab posted:

7.85 on MAL, don't mind if I do

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

Took you six whole minutes. You’ve grown slow and weak...

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Funny thing is I already watched arifureta, but only piss drunk so like there's a masochist dragon and the MC alternates between being pulling victory from the skin of his teeth with all his ever-accumulating harem and effortlessly obliterating whatever, all to get back to Japan for some weird reason. Oh and some fish girl thinks he's her daddy. I don't remember that one that well and I prefer it that way

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Am I being gaslit or did someone get me a different avatar for failing my toxx last year.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Am I being gaslit or did someone get me a different avatar for failing my toxx last year.

Yes Fluffdaddy gave you the bocchi yamcha after the fact

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is it different, am I being bullied.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone else has a standard Yamcha and mine's pink.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

yes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's hosed up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Anyways now feels like a good time to give my first trip report on Gintama, since I've finished 57 episodes and I'm about to enter the Benizakura arc.

So far I've been enjoying the show, but it hasn't blown me away yet. It isn't particularly visually impressive, but it's serviceable, and that's never been the series' strong suit.

The 4 main strengths of the series so far are the setting and worldbuilding, the characters, the humor, and the surprising amount of heart in certain episodes.

The series actually starts of fairly slow and restrained outside of the absurd setting, which is what if Aliens invaded Japan during the late Edo period. As a result the setting is really anachronistic, with a mix of futuristic sci-fi, modern day, and classical style stories and characters depending on the episode. The first real episode is episode 3, as the first 2 episodes are basically just fanservice for Manga readers and introducing characters and their gimmicks, wrapped up in a not so interesting story. I wpuld personally recommend skipping them.

Over the first two cours we get acquainted with the setting and a large amount of the main and supporting cast through various episodic stories. The quality of these stories varies, especially during these first 2 cours where it seems the writers for the anime and the mangaka Hideaki Sorachi have to figure out their own sense of humor and what pacing works best for it.

However, some of the series' strengths are already starting to shine here. There is a very good sense of continuity throughout the show. A bunch of minor characters, setting details, and jokes that feel like one-off notes wind up reappearing again and again, which builds the setting outward and makes it feel more like an actual lived in place with a genuine history and rewards the viewers for paying attention to those small details. There's also what I referred to as "heart" earlier, in which despite mostly being a comedic show, it will sometimes have serious heartfelt moments for the characters, like learning about Gintoki and Otose's relationship, Gintoki's speech about his soul, and the relationship stuff between Kagura and her father.

I feel like once you get to the third cour, specifically the Nabe Pot Episode, that's when the quality of the writing and humor significantly improves, and the quality of the episodes even out to at the very least being decent if not outright good. I don't think every joke is a winner, but you kind of get sucked into the series' pacing and sense of humor by this point, and it switches things up often enough to not get bored or annoyed by it.

Currently some of my favourite episodes have been the nabe pot episode, the episode with the underground arena, the arc with Kagura's father, the Curry Ninja fight to rescue Elizabeth, and the episode with Hedoro moving into town. I think Hedero is currently my favorite character despite only having one episode so far.

I hope he gets some customers soon...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We remembered that there was a bocchi yamcha pose and joked in the thread that one of the toxx failures should have it, fluffdaddy picked you and I was jealous

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

To update where I am:

I finished Fire Emblem Engage and am almost finished with Hifi Rush

From this season I am mostly sequels:

Grace of the Gods Season 2
Nagatoro Season 2
Tomo Chan is a Girl

Almost done with all 3 of these.

Namtab posted:

We remembered that there was a bocchi yamcha pose and joked in the thread that one of the toxx failures should have it, fluffdaddy picked you and I was jealous

Did we end up giving someone the baseball Yamcha foil variant?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nobody got baseball yamcha. You should give me the ava that verbal enema made for me in the chat thread tho

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i was going to put it on strange quark for asserting they didn't fail on a technicality but i wasn't sure exactly how to do it so i Simply Gave Up rather than give someone an avatar of hosed up bbcode

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will never forgive zep

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

continuing my journey through mecha anime, i will watch:
Fafner
Mai-Hime
Dai-Guard
Majestic Prince
Cross Ange

finished my resolution. not much to say about this batch tbh, they were all decent but no big new favorites.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We're halfway through the year so I figure I might as well give a status update. I've now seen 26 anime movies from 2022. It's tough to get a good idea of where I stand overall but perhaps I'm 60ish% of the way through? A bunch of them aren't available in English yet*, and some I gotta do legwork on to see if they even qualify. It has resulted in a fair amount of digging around, particularly in this age of direct to streaming since MAL considers those to be ONAs instead of movies. So I use Letterboxd** as a base then cross reference with MAL, especially since for more obscure stuff MAL is more likely to have the runtime when LB does not so that tells me if it's actually a movie instead of some 5 minute short or w/e. It's the kind of digging around I enjoy though so it's all in good fun!

*And I might have to wait until 2024 for some of them. While doing research I found out that there was a new Seiji Mizushima anime movie about hula dancer girls. It came out in 2021 and didn't get an English release until just last month when Crunchyroll unceremoniously put it out there.

**While I love Letterboxd I do wish they wouldn't count vtuber events as movies since those pop up when I'm looking for contemporary anime films, they've lost their gosh darn marbles!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I am down 41 lbs, 39 lbs remain with six months remaining. :ohdear:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Southern Cassowary posted:

- Lose 50 pounds
- Watch Gundam 00

currently 35 pounds down for the year (250->215) and i've seen up to a few eps into the second season of gundam 00. think i'm more likely to fail the latter than the former at this point lol.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Chicken Thumbs posted:

I'm very bad at being a weeb and usually read manga instead of watching anime, so for my :toxx: I'll be watching 5 anime that I've never seen but pretty much everyone else has and writing reviews in this thread.
1. Evangelion
2. K-On
3. Toradora
4. Haruhi
5. Lucky Star

Also this one's not a classic by any stretch of the imagination but I just learned that Dinosaur King is on Netflix and I feel like watching it so add that to my list.

As of right now I've watched 0 of these I've got to get my poo poo together.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Down another eleven pounds, 29 lbs remaining. And only five months remain. :ohdear:

This toxx is actually working to keep me strangely motivated.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Raenir Salazar posted:

Down another eleven pounds, 29 lbs remaining. And only five months remain. :ohdear:

This toxx is actually working to keep me strangely motivated.

You can do it!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I finished Process of Elimination, which I'm choosing to call a VN because people call Ace Attoney a VN. Not a bad mystery even if it was a little more sci-fi than I expected. The end reveal made sense though and the gameplay elements weren't too obnoxious.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Southern Cassowary posted:

- Lose 50 pounds
- Watch Gundam 00

i have lost 50 pounds and weigh less than 200 for the first time in over a decade

i have still not finished gundam 00 and it will be hilarious when i lose the toxx because of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tsukihime near side has been completed. Ciel good ending is the best