Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finish your resolution?
Yes
No
I’m just doing this as a long term banme
View Results

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sometime around the middle of last year I decided on a whim to embark on a project, to watch every single 2022 anime movie. Because of the way anime movie availability goes, that's still in progress so I figured heck why not make it a resolution. By the end of the year I will have watched every 2022 anime movie that is readily available in English.

For simplicity's sake I'll use the Japanese theatrical release date to define 2022 movies, just because it'd be a hassle to manually track it otherwise. And readily available is defined as being available to watch at home either thru streaming, digital rental, or fansubs. I try to catch things theatrically when I can but sometimes it doesn't pan out what with most anime movies getting like two or three weekday evening showings around here and that's it, so while I'll certainly try to do that with the 2022 movies getting a brief 2023 release, it's no guarantee. Also these days it's harder and harder to determine what counts as a movie so I'll likely have to use my own discretion sometimes.

Anyways I whipped up a Letterboxd list of what I have seen so far and how I rank 'em, and will be adding to the list over the course of the year.

https://letterboxd.com/srice/list/2022-anime-movies-ranked/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Even though it's not on that list because it came out 2021 in Japan, I still recommend checking out pompo the cinephile if you haven't seen it yet. It was my favorite movie I saw in theaters in 2022.

I was fortunate enough to catch it in theaters. It rules!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We're halfway through the year so I figure I might as well give a status update. I've now seen 26 anime movies from 2022. It's tough to get a good idea of where I stand overall but perhaps I'm 60ish% of the way through? A bunch of them aren't available in English yet*, and some I gotta do legwork on to see if they even qualify. It has resulted in a fair amount of digging around, particularly in this age of direct to streaming since MAL considers those to be ONAs instead of movies. So I use Letterboxd** as a base then cross reference with MAL, especially since for more obscure stuff MAL is more likely to have the runtime when LB does not so that tells me if it's actually a movie instead of some 5 minute short or w/e. It's the kind of digging around I enjoy though so it's all in good fun!

*And I might have to wait until 2024 for some of them. While doing research I found out that there was a new Seiji Mizushima anime movie about hula dancer girls. It came out in 2021 and didn't get an English release until just last month when Crunchyroll unceremoniously put it out there.

**While I love Letterboxd I do wish they wouldn't count vtuber events as movies since those pop up when I'm looking for contemporary anime films, they've lost their gosh darn marbles!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Normally I would have been done by now but I did a big move and then in the middle of moving poo poo happened that lead to me job hunting while still working so that consumes most of my free time right now.

Should be able to finish though, just gotta hunker down for the holidays. Don't have that much left to watch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice posted:

By the end of the year I will have watched every 2022 anime movie that is readily available in English.

I did this. I have been slacking on keeping my letterboxd account up to date with everything I watched so I will rank 'em all at a later point in time but that wasn't part of my toxx anyhow. By my own count I watched 'em all except for one movie - there was a franchise film for a series that, when I searched adtrw for takes on it since it looked incredibly suspicious to me, multiple people including a former mod outright called it a "pedo anime". The only person to actually admit to watching that series is someone who has since been permabanned for being a creep. In those circumstances I think it's fair to call a mulligan on that one. This challenge is supposed to be something to do for fun, not to inflict torture upon oneself.

Anyways, this became a bit of an ordeal at times. Not just because I had a lot of wild life poo poo happen in the last quarter of the year. Basically, in recent years I make an effort to see every original anime movie out there, plus franchise films for series I'm fond of. And if something gets a theatrical release in my area I try to see it even if it's franchise film for a series I'm not familiar with - sometimes I can still find value in that!

This is all to say that the tough part of this toxx involved watching stuff I normally wouldn't bother with. There were way too many idol and isekai anime movies and they were usually a bad time.

However I don't wanna get too negative though so I will briefly mention a few franchise films for series I was unfamiliar with that I quite liked and am glad I took the time to watch: The Quintessential Quintuplets movie was good, glad I saw it in a theater to witness the duality of man: when the guy finally picked one of the girls, one person in the audience clapped and another person said "god dammit". The Backflip!! movie was interesting for being a sports anime movie that eschews the big competition in favor of focusing on what everyone will do after graduating, it was enough to get me interested in checking out the series proper someday. I enjoyed the Laid Back Camp movie for focusing on how much harder it is to put time into your hobbies when you're a working adult, particularly when they're group hobbies. And I was gonna watch The First Slam Dunk anyways since it was getting a theatrical push and I heard such good things about it but I really do want to mention that it's a truly incredible movie - it joins Ping Pong in the small group of sports anime I'd show to someone who's a skeptic of the genre. It has a lot of heart and the match in the movie is so insanely sick that if it were a real game sports twitter would be losing their god drat minds over it.

I'm glad I went through with this though I don't wanna repeat it with 2023 movies, gonna have to think of something else to try for 2024.