Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finish your resolution?
Yes
No
I’m just doing this as a long term banme
View Results

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'll be kind and suggest something short and decent quality.

Armored Hunter Mellowlink. (Unless you saw it recently)

Also, In This Corner (and Other Corners) of the World.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

Hard to put my finger on any one factor, but last year had me running into 70's anime as a topic often enough that I started to feel my inexperience with the decade. Some research into how I could address this did reveal likely reasons why: shows often having bloated episode counts, lack of available subtitles, and a small stable of staff and commercially-viable genres to draw from. Despite this, I think I've got a decent and reasonably varied starting point to work from for an anime resolution this year.

So in 2023 I will, at the very least, complete the following series:
  1. Neo Human Casshan (1973), the Tatsunoko hero series (35 episodes)
  2. Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978), the Leijiverse series directed by Rintaro (42 episodes)
  3. Future Boy Conan (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Hayao Miyazaki (26 episodes)
  4. Treasure Island (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (26 episodes)
  5. Rose of Versailles (1979), the historical shoujo manga adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (40 episodes)
  6. Anne of Green Gables (1979), the novel adaptation and first officially-labeled World Masterpiece Theatre series, directed by Isao Takahata (50 episodes)
There are some ways I would've liked to broaden the net cast here by including titles from the start-middle of the decade, more typical of popular genres like mecha and sports, or those where other creators were involved. Trying to avoid an abundance of Dezaki was also an issue I had...but these 6 series were what I had on hand or could easily access.

Assuming I complete those 6, the next set of titles to further fill in gaps would be:
  1. Ace o Nerae! (1973, Sports/Dezaki)
  2. Getter Robo (1974, Ishikawa/Nagai)
  3. Space Battleship Yamato (1974, Leijiverse)
  4. Hurricane Polymar (1974, Tatsunoko hero)
  5. Devilman (1972, Go Nagai)
  6. Ashita no Joe (1970, Sports/Dezaki)
No promises made on the second set, they just round out a list of 12 for a theoretical 1-a-month pace despite differing episode counts and only starting this in earnest halfway through January. If anyone has more good, subtitled 70's suggestions to help me escape mecha and Dezaki, I'm all ears as well.

Have you seen the original Gundam? It's one of the few shows I've completed from the era, and it holds up better than you might think.

Of course, even it isn't as memorable as the standout anime of the 70s or, perhaps, of any decade. The legendary Chargeman Ken. I'm forced to consider any anime fan's journey incomplete without this unique experience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

Yep, I've got the slightest bit of 70's TV anime under my belt through First Gundam, Lupin III Part I, and Voltes V. Voltes V was a new addition last year which I ended up loving, but for this year I felt like giving the Robot Romance shows a resting period (plus Combattler is long and Daimos is very late 70s). Chargeman Ken at 65 episodes of infamously (so) bad (it's good) anime is probably too steep a cost for this, but I should chip at it someday.

Other Tomino mecha from the era are definitely on mind, Zambot 3 at a breezy 23 episodes and Daitarn 3 a reasonable 40, but I suppose being more familiar with his work I deprioritized them as well.

65 episodes, but they're about five minutes each. It's a much quicker watch than most.