Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finish your resolution?
Yes
No
I’m just doing this as a long term banme
View Results

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Do 10 3 ep tests

I might up this to 50 if I feel up to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

haypliss posted:

Hard to put my finger on any one factor, but last year had me running into 70's anime as a topic often enough that I started to feel my inexperience with the decade. Some research into how I could address this did reveal likely reasons why: shows often having bloated episode counts, lack of available subtitles, and a small stable of staff and commercially-viable genres to draw from. Despite this, I think I've got a decent and reasonably varied starting point to work from for an anime resolution this year.

So in 2023 I will, at the very least, complete the following series:
  1. Neo Human Casshan (1973), the Tatsunoko hero series (35 episodes)
  2. Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978), the Leijiverse series directed by Rintaro (42 episodes)
  3. Future Boy Conan (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Hayao Miyazaki (26 episodes)
  4. Treasure Island (1978), the adventure novel adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (26 episodes)
  5. Rose of Versailles (1979), the historical shoujo manga adaptation directed by Osamu Dezaki (40 episodes)
  6. Anne of Green Gables (1979), the novel adaptation and first officially-labeled World Masterpiece Theatre series, directed by Isao Takahata (50 episodes)
There are some ways I would've liked to broaden the net cast here by including titles from the start-middle of the decade, more typical of popular genres like mecha and sports, or those where other creators were involved. Trying to avoid an abundance of Dezaki was also an issue I had...but these 6 series were what I had on hand or could easily access.

Assuming I complete those 6, the next set of titles to further fill in gaps would be:
  1. Ace o Nerae! (1973, Sports/Dezaki)
  2. Getter Robo (1974, Ishikawa/Nagai)
  3. Space Battleship Yamato (1974, Leijiverse)
  4. Hurricane Polymar (1974, Tatsunoko hero)
  5. Devilman (1972, Go Nagai)
  6. Ashita no Joe (1970, Sports/Dezaki)
No promises made on the second set, they just round out a list of 12 for a theoretical 1-a-month pace despite differing episode counts and only starting this in earnest halfway through January. If anyone has more good, subtitled 70's suggestions to help me escape mecha and Dezaki, I'm all ears as well.

Galaxy Express 999?

I doubt you need to watch all of it. It sometimes feels like a sci fi anthology with the train and main characters as common elements.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

haypliss posted:

It and Lupin III Part 2 were ones I figured could be under an "x amount of total episodes" clause, I'd like to have some sort of comparison point for the GE999 movies.

Fair enough. I really liked the series and binged watched it despite the length.

Only the original series, though, not the movies or expansions or remakes or etc.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Alright I stopped stagnating and now I'm down to just 10 lbs remaining!

:woop:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

Do 10 3 ep tests

:tif: if I can't even finish this weak rear end :toxx:

• frieren (at ep 15 now, it's real good)
  • bang dream it's mygo (just did ep 3, it's a good show, but they really make taki look quite dense)
  • witch from mercury (watched all 24 episodes, it's real good)
  • lycoris recoil (on ep 8 now, I should really sit down and watch the rest)
  • tomo-chan (just watched ep 3, it's nice, :carol: really starts to shine in this one!)

Need to do another 5 3-episode tests before the end of this year.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

:tif: if I can't even finish this weak rear end :toxx:

• frieren (at ep 15 now, it's real good)
  • bang dream it's mygo (just did ep 3, it's a good show, but they really make taki look quite dense)
  • witch from mercury (watched all 24 episodes, it's real good)
  • lycoris recoil (on ep 8 now, I should really sit down and watch the rest)
  • tomo-chan (just watched ep 3, it's nice, :carol: really starts to shine in this one!)

Need to do another 5 3-episode tests before the end of this year.

• 16-bit sensation - very cute show with a lot of enthusiasm, might be worth picking up for the rest of the season. much of the first three episodes were on character establishment so I hope there is more on the gamedev portion
  • gene of ai - they should have not called the androids “humanoids”. that is all I have to say about it
  • undead murder farce - very fun detective show, will probably continue to watch it. reminds me of the netflix show, mononoke
  • otaku elf - anime of the year
  • level 1 demon lord - I don’t have anything good to say about this anime. It might have its fans but it was a waste of time for me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anyway, I have finished my toxx and hope to do this same thing next year.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Great job Namtab! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Srice posted:

I enjoyed the Laid Back Camp movie for focusing on how much harder it is to put time into your hobbies when you're a working adult, particularly when they're group hobbies.

laid back camp is so good

the first season and the movie are wonderful, the second season is meh

hope the third season rekindles the spirit