Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chess - got the bad ending (king checkmated)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

you call that beating the game?

I enjoyed the party. What more do you want

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

lol yeah ok man

Pablo Nergigante posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

22. Mario Party. Played all the boards once. Not sure if this counts.

In Training posted:

I won 1 and lost 5.

if this is mario party 1 theres a whole single player with an ending and credits. and here you are trying to slide this poo poo by us. pathetic.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

lol yeah ok man

this. wtf

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bomberman Hero

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mario Party (true ending)
Wore a hole in my palms and mom ordered me the free Nintendo gloves

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

31) Hyper Light Drifter

cool, short indie exploration adventure. the combat is fluid, quick and punishing, enjoyed it the whole game. boss fights were tough and just the right length. almost no written and no spoken words, storytelling is purely visual. the art was very pretty and cool and the music fit the game well with a sorta desolate, ambient soundtrack. lots of little secrets hidden around made it fun and rewarding to explore the whole time. all in all, a really enjoyable experience.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

13. Among Us (all maps played, flawless Electrical twice, Fez unlocked) - was only impostor once and got caught venting...S M D H

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmao

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

In Training posted:

I won 1 and lost 5.

This counts, ticket closed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Super Mario Odyssey - 100%

Started a new game and decided to go for all 880 moons since I never got them all the first time I played this. A few of them are a bit of a pain in the rear end but for the most part it was fun to casually explore around and find moons everywhere. The ending and the New Donk City festival are still ftw.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion

It was fine, some light Zelda-y puzzling and simple combat until a surprisingly tough end boss. Weird control scheme where you have an item button, an item menu button, and switch item left/right buttons, and then they give you three items the whole game and don't even use one of the face buttons. Writing was cringe but more wacky cringe than Donut County cringe. Not bad.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*guy not quite getting it but super eager* The Toilet - Beer and Nachos poo poo ending.

edit: Ah, sorry guys. I should have said "rear ending" XD

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1. Mega Man X
2. Persona 5 Royal
3. Digital Devil Saga
4. Max Payne
5. Hi-Fi Rush
6. Metroid Prime Remastered
7. Max Payne 2
8. Katamari Damacy Rerolled
9. Pikmin 2
10. Okami
11. Wo Long
12. Salamander County Public Television
13. Judgment
14. Oracle of Seasons
15. Oracle of Ages
16. Tears of the Kingdom
17. Ocarina of Time
18. Suikoden 2
19. Omega Boost
20. Ultrakill (early access)
21. Hypnospace Outlaw
22. Bomberman Hero
23. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer - a fun and funny follow-up to Hypnospace Outlaw. I always appreciate when someone makes a joke game but makes it actually fun, and this was. Weapons are enjoyable twists on the typical FPS guns, level design is genuinely good with loads of fun secrets to discover. Enemies are a bit of a weak point I think but they do the job. I unlocked the secret levels but I played Uncle Gopher's House for about two minutes and closed the game because really

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

26) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - All shrines and memories
27) Final Fantasy V

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Civilization 5 Austria, Chieftain difficulty, Culture Victory.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Final Fantasy XVI: easily the worst final fantasy game ive played. the combat was cool at the start but the game does nothing with it through most of the playthrough. a majority of the side quests are unbearably boring and felt like a slog. the main story and the world is good and when i was playing through the main beats i did have fun but it always felt short lived. the characters are fine but nothing great, clive is a c-grade geralt and for all the talk about this being game of thrones inspired its also heavily witcher inspired as well but i think that part works. was surprisingly bored most of the time. oh well

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1. Mega Man X
2. Persona 5 Royal
3. Digital Devil Saga
4. Max Payne
5. Hi-Fi Rush
6. Metroid Prime Remastered
7. Max Payne 2
8. Katamari Damacy Rerolled
9. Pikmin 2
10. Okami
11. Wo Long
12. Salamander County Public Television
13. Judgment
14. Oracle of Seasons
15. Oracle of Ages
16. Tears of the Kingdom
17. Ocarina of Time
18. Suikoden 2
19. Omega Boost
20. Ultrakill (early access)
21. Hypnospace Outlaw
22. Bomberman Hero
23. Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer
24. Hylics - been meaning to get round to this one for a while. Cool little game and the weird art/music is fantastic, but it kind of felt weird and random for the sake of being weird and random. Still, it's like three hours long and can't really complain, nothing else quite like it

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

24. Hylics - been meaning to get round to this one for a while. Cool little game and the weird art/music is fantastic, but it kind of felt weird and random for the sake of being weird and random. Still, it's like three hours long and can't really complain, nothing else quite like it

I love the way they captured the hand gestures for the spells, it's such a cool idea.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

excuse the word count

1) Gal Gun Returns - was on an Inti spree the last year but held off on playing these because I don't care about rail shooters. this was fun though, it's short and fast-paced and feels rewarding to maintain combos even on a m&k since the combo system is less forgiving than subsequent games

2) Gal Gun Double Peace - really boring levels and lovely minigames, goes on too long

3) Gal Gun 2 - it's more hectic than double peace and therefore more fun but a lot of new level types are boring

4) Gal/Grim Guardians - unfortunately just a mediocre version of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

5) Dead Space Remake - it's dead space. Pretty good game, a quintessential 7.9/10 style of video game

6) Superhot VR - this was intense. great fun. i can't throw for poo poo

7) Hi-Fi Rush - the combat is enjoyable but i hate how much running around there is between fights, and i feel like the game is too long relative to the depth of its mechanics. The script is surprisingly charming and the cutscene direction is very strong, aided by the musical gimmick

8) Resident Evil 4 Remake - great game. I like the faster speed and the added parry & ducking to balance it out, it feels less rigidly methodical. Maybe it loses something by that but it's its own thing

9) Half-Life 2: VR Mod - I'm not the biggest fan of HL2, I think it has some strong sections (Ravenholm and the sewer level at the beginning) but a lot of boring chaff... playing it in VR is fun though and the strong parts never felt better

10) Super Alloy Ranger - retro-style 2D platformer, very strong fundamental level design, good feel, you choose between a melee and a ranged character depending on what kind of gameplay you prefer (melee is better)... highly recommended. Difficulty curve is weird, 1st half is trivial but it picks up very suddenly

11) Returnal - this got a lot of recommends from legit Gamers and while it's a good game i didn't feel like the gameplay varied enough to justify repeated playthroughs, and the game is clearly way too easy on a mouse & keyboard. it took a little over 12 hours to finish the first two acts and i don't care to get the proper ending. i guess my biggest problem is that most of the time you're playing you're in zero danger, basic enemies are too easy, but then once an hour maybe you'll find a challenging enemy and get your head kicked in to some extent

12) Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 - I don't generally care for gunvolt but gv3 owns. I got max rank on every level on merciless difficulty without using image pulses or getting hit, except the final boss but i still have max rank so gently caress it, I'm considering it done. The bosses in this game are sick

13) Half-Life Alyx - the Northern Star Hotel was a good level but the first two or three hours are boring and the combine fights don't work well imo, HL2 has a more tactical aspect where you more often have multiple types of threat and you can take more damage so there are more options & considerations but in this game you die easily so you just have to hide behind cover and peek out. i can see why they went with that but I don't get motion sick so I want to jump around a bit. Also no melee and no regular jump or sprint is lame

14) The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie - in my heart this series ended with Cold Steel 2 but in my brain I know Failcom is going to keep making these and the plots are going to get more and more stupid and I'm still going to play every single one. This one has a plot twist that genuinely feels like something you'd see in an Uchikoshi game. the gameplay is still fine but kind of tired, feels like rote at this point. Can't wait to play the next

Games I started and quit:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered - felt bad about captain price commiting war crimes so i refunded the game

Megaman X - i love the Zero series and classic MM is ok but X always just felt like a clunkier, shittier version of the latter to me, and it still does..sorry gamers

Chaos Head Noah - main character is too stupid

Muv Luv Alternative - prolix

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ah,

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hope you are ok posted:

excuse the word count

1) Gal Gun Returns - was on an Inti spree the last year but held off on playing these because I don't care about rail shooters. this was fun though, it's short and fast-paced and feels rewarding to maintain combos even on a m&k since the combo system is less forgiving than subsequent games

2) Gal Gun Double Peace - really boring levels and lovely minigames, goes on too long

3) Gal Gun 2 - it's more hectic than double peace and therefore more fun but a lot of new level types are boring

4) Gal/Grim Guardians - unfortunately just a mediocre version of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

5) Dead Space Remake - it's dead space. Pretty good game, a quintessential 7.9/10 style of video game

7) Hi-Fi Rush - the combat is enjoyable but i hate how much running around there is between fights, and i feel like the game is too long relative to the depth of its mechanics. The script is surprisingly charming and the cutscene direction is very strong, aided by the musical gimmick

8) Resident Evil 4 Remake - great game. I like the faster speed and the added parry & ducking to balance it out, it feels less rigidly methodical. Maybe it loses something by that but it's its own thing

9) Half-Life 2: VR Mod - I'm not the biggest fan of HL2, I think it has some strong sections (Ravenholm and the sewer level at the beginning) but a lot of boring chaff... playing it in VR is fun though and the strong parts never felt better

10) Super Alloy Ranger - retro-style 2D platformer, very strong fundamental level design, good feel, you choose between a melee and a ranged character depending on what kind of gameplay you prefer (melee is better)... highly recommended. Difficulty curve is weird, 1st half is trivial but it picks up very suddenly

11) Returnal - this got a lot of recommends from legit Gamers and while it's a good game i didn't feel like the gameplay varied enough to justify repeated playthroughs, and the game is clearly way too easy on a mouse & keyboard. it took a little over 12 hours to finish the first two acts and i don't care to get the proper ending. i guess my biggest problem is that most of the time you're playing you're in zero danger, basic enemies are too easy, but then once an hour maybe you'll find a challenging enemy and get your head kicked in to some extent

12) Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 - I don't generally care for gunvolt but gv3 owns. I got max rank on every level on merciless difficulty without using image pulses or getting hit, except the final boss but i still have max rank so gently caress it, I'm considering it done. The bosses in this game are sick

13) Half-Life Alyx - the Northern Star Hotel was a good level but the first two or three hours are boring and the combine fights don't work well imo, HL2 has a more tactical aspect where you more often have multiple types of threat and you can take more damage so there are more options & considerations but in this game you die easily so you just have to hide behind cover and peek out. i can see why they went with that but I don't get motion sick so I want to jump around a bit. Also no melee and no regular jump or sprint is lame

14) The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie - in my heart this series ended with Cold Steel 2 but in my brain I know Failcom is going to keep making these and the plots are going to get more and more stupid and I'm still going to play every single one. This one has a plot twist that genuinely feels like something you'd see in an Uchikoshi game. the gameplay is still fine but kind of tired, feels like rote at this point. Can't wait to play the next

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered - felt bad about captain price commiting war crimes so i refunded the game

Megaman X - i love the Zero series and classic MM is ok but X always just felt like a clunkier, shittier version of the latter to me, and it still does..sorry gamers

Posting games you didn’t finish in the games beat thread… mods?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gal gun ftmfw my droog.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

35) theatrhythm final bar line (switch, cleared all titles in series quests)

realized i never actually finished out series quests mode in this so went back and did it. good game but i miss some of the rpg elements and modes and unique features that they scaled back on in favor of making this more of a "serious" rhythm game, but that and the new more complex note charts make it so it kinda co-exists as a separate thing from curtain call for me so whatever. its cool that theres 1billion songs too

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

Gal gun ftmfw my droog.

This

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hope you are ok posted:

excuse the word count

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmfao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Posting late due to laziness

Final Fantasy XVI (All hunts and side quests)

I have mixed feelings about this one. It's a game that swings wildly back and forth between a 5/10 and an 11/10 but also never quite meets in the middle so calling it a 7.5/10 doesn't feel right, either. It's just that sometimes it feels like a single-player FFXIV expansion (and not in a good way), and then every few hours you play the coolest loving boss fight you'll see all year and a bunch of cool poo poo happens in the story. It's not that I'm opposed to downtime, either--any good story needs its quiet moments. It's just that most of FFXVI's good quiet moments are in its late-game side quests, while the downtime that's part of the actual main story often feels like an annoying diversion. Makes me feel like the wrong things were made into side quests instead of being incorporated into the main story.

I thought the combat was really fun. The normal battles did start to get repetitive but the bosses were really great the whole way through, and the core of the combat system was fun. I'm not much of a purist when it comes to FF gameplay so action FF games are fine by me. Though if I was going to pick a direction for the next mainline FF, I'd want it to look more like FF7R, if only for the party dynamics and greater customization it offers.

I definitely liked it, even liked it a lot, but can't quite bring myself to love it. Might do NG+ one day but I was feeling ready to move on by the time I finished.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

That reminds me that I also beat that game and didn't post it.

16) Final Fantasy XVI : Everything available in NG

I liked this game a whole lot for the first half to two thirds, and while I still liked it by the end it wasn't nearly as much.

The heavy focus on Clive pays off. He's certainly on the stoic and determined side but he's not that emotionally stupid nor is he dull. Cid loving rules and has an amazing voice. All of the squad at the hideaway are cool too. Joshua doesn't fare as well and Jill + Dion start strong and then kinda get really bland by the end. The plot is pretty standard as things go, though the fantasy slavery has a somewhat interesting angle that really gets explored in sidequests though it drops off in the plot in the back half. There are some bizarre and funny moments in the game that are unintentional but I feel make it better anyways.

Music is outstanding. Looks really good except for one somewhat grating visual direction they decided to go with in the later parts of the game. Voice acting is really well done for the most part in English

Combat is fun - most abilities are viable, feel good to use, and very visually distinct + interesting. Eikonic fights are really the highlight of the system with insane sequences of wild and crazy poo poo that are great fun and feel a lot like Asura's Wrath. But good god is the game easy even without the game journalist accessories. I've only played a little bit of NG+ but it's not really helping.

Many sidequests are fun and interesting... but most of it feels like a single player mmo expansion. Like harrow says above this game feels like FFXIV a lot and for sidequests it is in the worst ways. (Good ways: much of the story writing - same writer(s) I think? - presentation sensibilities, and some of the story tone for the darker moments). They dump way too much poo poo on you at the end for the quality of what you get, and it's part of the reason I just wanted to finish the game by the very end.

All in all a fun game and I think I like it more than XV (certainly the gameplay), but I hope if they keep on the action game train that they make it a bit more complicated and interesting.

Best Eikon (combat): Odin, lv5 zanketsuken is too drat fun
Best Eikon (fight): Bahamut in space, but Titan isn't that far below
Best Song: gently caress idk, Find the flame and the eikon themes are really good
Best member of the squad: Gav
Best Rosfield: Byron
Funniest concept: Active Time Lore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Best Eikon (combat): Odin, lv5 zanketsuken is too drat fun
Best Eikon (fight): Bahamut in space, but Titan isn't that far below
Best Song: gently caress idk, Find the flame and the eikon themes are really good
Best member of the squad: Gav
Best Rosfield: Byron
Funniest concept: Active Time Lore

Agree with all of this

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It was a nice experiment but please keep the XIV team on XIV and don't let them make another final fantasy game ever again. Thank you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kongming posted:

It was a nice experiment but please keep the XIV team on XIV and don't let them make another final fantasy game ever again. Thank you.

they should let the kingdom hearts team make the next XIV expansion it's only fair

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Kongming posted:

agreed. i do like that they tried something different but i dont think it paid off at all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some aspects of it are crazy as someone who's played a bunch of XIV. The dungeons especially are just FFXIV dungeons, they have the exact same structure with the complete linearity, two minibosses and one main boss with a few trash packs in between every time, all of that. It's something that I thought they did because it made sense for an MMO--it's helpful when you're expected to do most dungeons in a randomly matched group to make it so you're not likely to get lost and get mad at each other. But then they did it in a single-player game too and now I have to wonder if that's just all they know how to do lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

the loving back and forth camera styling and posing during sidequests and such is straight up mmo bullshit, it sticks out like a sore thumb and it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

also everything to do with crafting and money being worthless sucked also.