Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The last thread had to be retired because it only natively supported basic auth and we can’t make any changes to its backend because it only ever worked in IE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Please restore the old thread, my custom scripts that I don't actually understand which were written 9 years ago by someone who left 8 years ago and upon which I came to depend UTTERLY 8.75 years ago are all hard coded to point at the old thread, THIS IS AFFECTING SALES

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

kensei posted:

Old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845247

Still quite possibly one of the funniest stories I have seen on this forum:

May your 2023 be a :yotj: for you.

Hoping 2023 is a big ol' :yotj: for me and my girlfriend.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Apparently my Xerox is hard-coded to the old thread, and it just keeps printing out "LOCKED: PLEASE SEE ADMINISTRATOR" every 47 minutes? Please address and revert.

(I can't reset the MFP because nobody knows the admin password or how the fax portion is set up so please don't suggest that)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hello my friend, I see you are missing <old thread> today and we can be in a position to help. You see we have been watching your IP address and have many evidence of the things you do in <old thread>. This would be embarrassing to you if known to your family or community! We can help you recover your sole access to <old thread> today. It will require much time from our computer experts. To ensure <old thread> is completely returned to you please send .5 bitcoin to 1fuxsc4mwofi526ug as soon as possible! Keep this in confidence as your sole access to <old thread> is at stake today.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

FW: RE: help

FYI

Sent from my iPhone

> From: Some Rando <neverheardof@yourorg.biz>
> To: Boss <yourboss@yourorg.biz>
>
> please help
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

We should put the thread on a blockchain so we can verify all the posts. Maybe a 10 minute timer, so we get bursts of posts every 10 minutes, 6 confirmations before someone can quote it and no edit function.
I'm the ideas guy, someone make the wiki.

Threadcoin?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't think it's working right. Please see attached screenshot.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Wibla posted:

There's buttons missing! and only one page?! :aaa:

Ticket Closed (Obsolete)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nielsm posted:

The new hotness is starting a new conversation in Teams instead of replying to the existing conversation, leaving everyone else wondering what the gently caress you're talking about.

I love how slack will just randomly drop bits of threads in the main channel so everyone is a little disoriented at all times

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've never had Slack do that, only people who don't know how to use threads. Seems to be the same people who reply with 3 words at a time and 10 messages to say what they wanted to say.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

it generally seems to happen when a thread has been quiet for an hour or 2, and thats actually usefulish, but it absolutely occasionally drop a message tagged "so and so replying to <thread>" in chat

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You mean the thing where you check the box to also post your message in the main channel?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guy Axlerod posted:

You mean the thing where you check the box to also post your message in the main channel?

I've never checked any box for it to happen :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I've never had Slack do that, only people who don't know how to use threads. Seems to be the same people who reply with 3 words at a time and 10 messages to say what they wanted to say.

I feel attacked

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

my cat is norris posted:

my plan was to sell artwork to the horny people of the internet

do you have a carrd with rates and a Trello with job tracking yet

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

I feel attacked

Look, we can't all be perfect.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Are these work items being automatically created in TFS as they come up, or does someone need to do it manually? How should we be tracking our time on these?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Mothership IT did something over the holiday related to cyber security (their words) and now every transaction in Oracle that moves material x from location a to location b has the appropriate quantity of x leave location a but then it ~*disappears*~

to which I say lol

lmao even

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

bell jar posted:

FW: RE: help

FYI

Sent from my iPhone

> From: Some Rando <neverheardof@yourorg.biz>
> To: Boss <yourboss@yourorg.biz>
>
> please help
>
> Sent from my iPhone

:golfclap:

Internet Explorer posted:

Listen hard returns are periods and commas in chat programs.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Ayyy first 'ticket' of the year.

A note, I am not an IT professional, but a reporter.

My boss frequently has issues where he misplaced the edges of his windows or Adobe Audition goes into different modes and each time he calls me first before going to actual IT. Today it was "Adobe's different again, what do I do"

I don't mind, it's just amazing that I'm the 0-th line tech support around here.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Ayyy first 'ticket' of the year.

A note, I am not an IT professional, but a reporter.

My boss frequently has issues where he misplaced the edges of his windows or Adobe Audition goes into different modes and each time he calls me first before going to actual IT. Today it was "Adobe's different again, what do I do"

I don't mind, it's just amazing that I'm the 0-th line tech support around here.

The answer should have been, "Probably got an auto update, pretty much all software forces those now. Sure is irritating when they change something out of nowhere, right?"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I've got a new client back home in the deep ol' south.

I'm trying to get a low voltage vendor out there to certify the lines as part of my pre-onboarding investigation and, of course, I have to reach out to vendors I used to work with at my last job before I moved, and, more importantly, before I transitioned. These are incredibly small businesses who remember every customer they've ever had, so of course they remember me. Sort of.

"Your name sounds familiar, have we worked with you before?"

Uh... yeah. You could say that. I used to work at [school], but I had a different name back then.

Then they connect the dots and, oh gosh, look at that, we don't have an opening to schedule anything after all, toodles.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Frosty Witch posted:

I'm trying to get a low voltage vendor out there to certify the lines as part of my pre-onboarding investigation and, of course, I have to reach out to vendors I used to work with at my last job before I moved, and, more importantly, before I transitioned. These are incredibly small businesses who remember every customer they've ever had, so of course they remember me. Sort of.

Uh... yeah. You could say that. I used to work at [school], but I had a different name back then.

Then they connect the dots and, oh gosh, look at that, we don't have an opening to schedule anything after all, toodles.

the worst poo poo I have ever gotten was from some dude working for mgm. absolutely refused to accept what I told him my name was for a solid 5 minutes, and then closed the ticket lol

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Could we maybe import the old posts into this new thread or something? Some of us still read posts in the old thread and I think this would make it easier to find them all in one place.

e: Or maybe a PST file? Can an admin export the old thread into a PST so I can add it to my Outlook profile? Also, could you remote in and show me how to add a PST?

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Clearly they don't want your money and you should forget they exist.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

A Frosty Witch posted:

Admittedly completely out of my element, but why even give them the time of day? They don't know you, and they don't need to know you.

"Have we worked with you before?"
Nope! Sure haven't. I'm in a completely different state and have no idea who you are.

Even if you've met them in person and they think you look familiar? No, person I don't want to associate with, you're mistaken, we are complete strangers.

Of course thinking of it in the moment is a lot harder than mentally re-treading that conversation in the shower the next day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a bunch of community-specific etiquette around how to handle previous names, but you really don't want them figuring it out later via LinkedIn or something and kicking up a fuss if they're the type to get mad about it. Best to weed out the people you don't want to work with ahead of time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Admittedly completely out of my element, but why even give them the time of day? They don't know you, and they don't need to know you.

Nope! Sure haven't. I'm in a completely different state and have no idea who you are.

Even if you've met them in person and they think you look familiar? No, person I don't want to associate with, you're mistaken, we are complete strangers.

Of course thinking of it in the moment is a lot harder than mentally re-treading that conversation in the shower the next day.

loving sucks that anyone has to think that way, though. It's nice being able to build relationships. This is my Official Sympathy Post.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Arquinsiel posted:

Best to weed out the people you don't want to work with ahead of time.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

loving sucks that anyone has to think that way, though. It's nice being able to build relationships.

This is truth. Self-censorship to appease poo poo heads probably isn't a good policy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people are being dickheads then I wouldn't want to award them a contract to work for me

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

If people are being dickheads then I wouldn't want to award them a contract to work for me

in the south there aren't alot of non-dickhead options to do business with

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Could we maybe import the old posts into this new thread or something? Some of us still read posts in the old thread and I think this would make it easier to find them all in one place.

e: Or maybe a PST file? Can an admin export the old thread into a PST so I can add it to my Outlook profile? Also, could you remote in and show me how to add a PST?

Now I wanna make a powershell script that takes every single post and makes it into an email. Ten thousand terrible subject-less emails in an inbox.

Edit: Or every single post is put in the subject line, and overflows into the body once it hits the character limit.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Now I wanna make a powershell script that takes every single post and makes it into an email. Ten thousand terrible subject-less emails in an inbox.

Edit: Or every single post is put in the subject line, and overflows into the body once it hits the character limit.

Clearly the thread title goes in the subject line, and you use Outlook rules to sort it into a folder.

Then sit back smug in the knowledge that you've just reimplemented RSS but worse,

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also nobody agrees on top or bottom posting

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Frosty Witch posted:

Babe.

Lie.

Or, technically, tell the truth: They didn't ever really meet you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One might ask if they know the works of Shan Yu.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The Support Agent of Theseus

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You guys hear about the ipv4 addresses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Zorak of Michigan posted:

loving sucks that anyone has to think that way, though. It's nice being able to build relationships. This is my Official Sympathy Post.

This so much. Networking is such a huge part of this industry, it's silly. And I say that being on easy mode (cis white male). I can only imagine the magnitudes of increase in difficulty otherwise.