Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Speaking of PST files...

Abandon hope for getting them from Rackspace: https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/rackspace-blames-zero-day-exploit-for-ransomware-hit-success-a-20849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The greatest joy I'm capable of feeling is knowing that I gave the tv station a roadmap for migrating off of rackspace 7 years ago and they scoffed at it. As of a month ago they were still on rackspace and literally everyone hates it.

The CE has tried to migrate them to O365 several times but he can't figure out how to actually do it and just ends up loving up the routing for a full day at a time before having to roll everything back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fresh gripe for new thread:

The app I work on searches a client's data for bad things, which it flags as "violations" of internal best practices. The client sometimes complains to us that we've found false positives in our weekly reports.

Only they don't use the term "false positives". They say "false flags".

Subject: False Flags 1/3/2023
"Hello! Happy Monday! :) I would like to share that our latest report has 4 false flags, with the following details..."

I guess because they heard the term on the news, but ... I just keep wanting to butt my way into the client conversations and be all like NO PLEASE STOP USING THAT TERM, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT REFERS TO. gently caress

But that's not an in-my-lane kind of thing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean... you used the term yourself. It's flagging things. Falsely. "False flags", if you will.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean... you used the term yourself. It's flagging things. Falsely. "False flags", if you will.

Its this. It generates flags. Sometimes they are false.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just say false positive immediately after they say false flag. Every time. I hear people love that. :smug:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I still get tickets asking for help with the "coloured" printer :sigh:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Maybe they spilled the toner all over it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Give them the oldest vacuum cleaner you can find and then clock off

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

False positive flags

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

a Brother?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

loving :lol:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

:drat:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:perfect:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

:eyepop:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
My Gripe is that the Brother business/workgroup class color printers are 100% out of loving stock everywhere. I don't even care that they're like $700, just please sell me one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:boom:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I made a similar joke a few years ago and got a sixer for it, so uh tread carefully I guess. (Not intended to relitigate the probe)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, I knew that was going to come up and I don't blame you. I couldn't remember who it was.

I still don't love the joke, tbh, but it feels like less of a stretch. I dunno. In short, modding is a world of contrasts and at least it was only a 6er I guess.

[edit: Now I remember, I think what pushed it over the edge for me was that it was something along the lines of buying a Brother. Again, I dunno. I do still think it's a tread carefully kind of thing.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 5, 2023

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its the kind of joke thats risky because it has to make every button haver who sees it laugh or you eat a probe

That said, sometimes its worth the risk for comedy

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Speaking of a risk of comedy, after over 400 applications I finally got a response.

I have an interview tomorrow.

Let's see how my particular brand of luck demolishes this opportunity :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Internet Explorer posted:

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

lol, I knew that was going to come up and I don't blame you. I couldn't remember who it was.

I still don't love the joke, tbh, but it feels like less of a stretch. I dunno. In short, modding is a world of contrasts and at least it was only a 6er I guess.

[edit: Now I remember, I think what pushed it over the edge for me was that it was something along the lines of buying a Brother. Again, I dunno. I do still think it's a tread carefully kind of thing.]

Yeah I think it was Bob "COVID isn't that serious" Morales who posted something like "I just bought a Brother for $59" and I said something like "jesus dude that's been illegal for 150 years what the gently caress is wrong with you". I was fine with the probe and:

RFC2324 posted:

Its the kind of joke thats risky because it has to make every button haver who sees it laugh or you eat a probe

That said, sometimes its worth the risk for comedy

this, basically. Anyway the real joke is Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like to think of it as the universal punchline to every joke. The gift that keeps on giving. Thank you, uncreative younger me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
to be fair if a joke is that good then a 6er is a good way to memorialize it in your rap sheet for all time

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I got like a dozen tickets today, I spent my day sleeping at my desk and occasionally reassigning them to different groups because our call center is dumb as hell.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.
Break their leg with a chair leg, which you have previously broken off a chair.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

I got like a dozen tickets today, I spent my day sleeping at my desk and occasionally reassigning them to different groups because our call center is dumb as hell.

Hire me part time to do the routing for you and you can sleep the full 8 hours.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.

This. Good luck Frosty Witch.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm still walking my father in law('s company) through Rackspace recovery, and most of my input has been "lol", "lmao", and "here's an ost to pst conversion tool, good luck!". It's honestly pretty funny.

Unrelatedly, I'm gonna need everyone in the thread who uses Teams to press Ctrl+shift+i before they send each message.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zil posted:

Hire me part time to do the routing for you and you can sleep the full 8 hours.

Do you accept belly rubs and dog treats as payment? Because that's all I can afford.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm still walking my father in law('s company) through Rackspace recovery, and most of my input has been "lol", "lmao", and "here's an ost to pst conversion tool, good luck!". It's honestly pretty funny.

Unrelatedly, I'm gonna need everyone in the thread who uses Teams to press Ctrl+shift+i before they send each message.
That's pretty cool. I will use it only for evil.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Renegret posted:

Do you accept belly rubs and dog treats as payment? Because that's all I can afford.

I am negotiable. We talking high end dog treats or just boring milk bones?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Well a year ago the treats were pretty good, but ever since this new CEO came in and hired their buddy's vendor, all the treats come individually wrapped and lack any sort of distinguishable markings.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Arquinsiel posted:

That's pretty cool. I will use it only for evil.

"Urgent" is even better, it sends people a reminder every 20 minutes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

"Urgent" is even better, it sends people a reminder every 20 minutes.

And not just in their Teams window either, sends them an email as well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
An email every 20 minutes?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

An email every 20 minutes?

Think it was shorter than that, like every 10 or so but that may have been something that could be tweaked on the backend. All I know is that it was annoying when a previous boss would mark a message as urgent and then not pay attention when someone responded to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Our support team just pulled a landspeed record for completely loving up a relationship with a client.

I onboarded a new client recently, and it was a new construction, so I was there with them every step of the way to coordinate a new loving construction from the ground up and after a LOT of work, we were able to pull it off spectacularly in the allotted timeframe. They opened on time with a completely new tech infrastructure, they were super confident in our services, I got raving reviews in my survey, and they were even assuredly going to enroll their other existing branches into our support.

Fast-forward to today, two weeks after I handed them off to our support services.

They just sent in their notice. They're firing us.

Reason? Our dogshit support staff and their lack of process. The very things I perfected when I was in charge of service desk, and the very things I told the owner I should be made Director of Client Services to oversee. The very things they told me were not an issue.

It took service desk over a week and a half to respond to a ticket where service account creds had been lost by a machine and needed to be re-entered so they could open their client management program.
It took service desk a week to clear a print spool.

In two weeks, they never talked to anyone in service desk. They only got our overflow answering service.

The one response they sent to clients was a boileplate "we'll reach out to you as soon as possible" response and then they never followed up.

I am... beyond exhausted. I am beyond furious.

I am so tired of giving so much of myself to this place to have everyone else do less than the bare minimum and never see any accountability.

bleh :smith: