Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only reason I have an antenna wired to my TVs is because that's the only thing they will use as a time source if I don't want to be setting the clock manually. No NTP here, thanks Samsung.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

New client bingo card: already checked off 'on-prem exchange,' 'windows server essentials,' 'please activate windows'. lookin good

:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Local admin with password123 and you win the jackpot!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A Frosty Witch posted:

P@$$w0rd

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ssb posted:

Ireland isn’t even close to the arctic circle, what are you on about?
That's not the full definition of "arctic circle".

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's technically twilight in Ireland (and here in Scotland) through the night around the summer solstice.
Still dark though. Just enough light that you don't get a good view of the stars.
Well someone hasn't walked home from the pub because he's too cheap to pay for a taxi :smug:

ETA:

A Frosty Witch posted:

I raise you domain admin with "Hacker123".

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My first job, my boss had his password hint set as "monitor" but he had a post-it on his desk that said Gautlwey321 and it always confused me until I realized his monitor was a Gateway and they hired me to proofread his emails cause he was a person with dyslexia

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For those of us that work rotating shifts, time changes are even worse. Take an arbitrary schedule that already fucks your circadian rhythm into a cocked hat, and add two arbitrary time changes a year to that. Oh ya, and it’s a 24 hour operation, so you occasionally have to work an extra-long shift to cover for the day artificially stretching.

Time changes are stupid. I don’t care what time you pick, but you only get to pick one.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I have worked at not two, but three different jobs where the standard BIOS password was letmein. No numbers-for-letters obfuscation, no caps, just there it was.

At the third job they didn't even tell me, I tried it out of muscle memory pre-coffee one morning and was, to understate it, startled.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You all had bios passwords? Never have I seen.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

For the first 6 of my almost 10 years here, root:calvin was still the default.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

You all had bios passwords? Never have I seen.

bios password to change bios settings was pretty common in my experience

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’m sure but in the whole two jobs I’ve had in 20 years I haven’t seen it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pyf widely deployed infra passwords

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

New client bingo card: already checked off 'on-prem exchange,' 'windows server essentials,' 'please activate windows'. lookin good

Are you using the Bingo Card with "Cheap rear end in a top hat with no budget for upgrades" as the free square, or "Wants more tickets resolved despite having $5,000 in outstanding invoices"?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

The service accounts with domain/enterprise admin whose passwords are stored in the description field in AD.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

The service accounts with domain/enterprise admin whose passwords are stored in the description field in AD.

Don't need the description field when the password is the same as the account name.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure my buddy got our domain password changed to Th1sIsTh3w4Y2021! when I worked for the army. Our sysadmin rolled with it since we were just help desk, "yeah good enough"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hunter2

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

weird, all I see is *******

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Not falling for that again. They'll never know I changed my password to hunter3 hehe

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

hunter2+1

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Pretty sure my buddy got our domain password changed to Th1sIsTh3w4Y2021! when I worked for the army. Our sysadmin rolled with it since we were just help desk, "yeah good enough"

I had the opposite:

At our rental cabin up in the mountains, my sister changed the WiFi password to some autogenerated password that was fifteen characters long and had a healthy mix of caps/lowers/numbers/specials that spelled no words.

“It’s secure!”

Yeah but it’s a pain in the rear end for people to enter and what are we trying to secure? The entire network is literally just a linksys router plugged into a cable modem.

I reset it to BlackWhite123 and walked away.

There. You all now know my mountain cabin’s WiFi password.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Data Graham posted:

The local admin account that was identical on every single workstation of a mid size retailer, about 4000 machines all told, was grabbed out of lsaas (XP days) as part of a white hat full pen test.

Which they accomplished from a store vlan as if someone plugged in a device. They had domain admin in about 3 hours because a sr network admin had a workstation under his desk running no-auth VNC.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
hunter2024!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My stepdad would set his wifi to hide the ssid and require MAC authentication, but at the same time didnt trust windows 10/11 and still uses XP.....\

Ive given up on offering computer help.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My stepdad would set his wifi to hide the ssid and require MAC authentication, but at the same time didnt trust windows 10/11 and still uses XP.....\

Sounds like winnuke.exe is in his future.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I thought hiding the ssid just made your device scream out for it all the time it's not connected to it?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Hidden SSIDs generally only affect the default UI for joining a network, so that if you want to add a client you have to manually put in the details instead of picking it out of the list. If you have actual WiFi scanner software then you will still be able to detect the presence and SSID of the network, so it's not going to foil anyone who is actually looking out for hidden networks and knows what they're doing.

I don't think the client needs to do any more work than usual once the network is already configured, although I could be forgetting something.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 14, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Because when Congress changed DST in 2007 they phased it in and the day changed by a week for like a decade. A lot of DST had static dates that couldn't be changed and part of that big disaster was adding flexible dates.

It's been so long and I'm still mad at Microsoft for bundling their Exchange DST 2007 fix in with permission changes that hosed Blackberries and caused a bunch of work.

Holy poo poo I remember that.

Also that post made me feel very very old.

Eh. :same:

dragonshardz posted:

DST is stupid.

fake edit: changing the time is stupid. Leaving it as it is now, on DST, is pro. I give a poo poo about it being dark when I go to work. I want light in the evening so I can do poo poo outside after work.

AlexDeGruven posted:

There are so many reasons I'd rather be in Ireland.

If only they (or anyone else) would have us filthy Americans (I'm assuming you're American, which I guess I should not do.)
My mother-in-law can claim citizenship by way of an ancestor, but I've got nothing, and, as noted, IT != critical job.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

DST sucks and I want to stop changing my loving clocks twice a year. I don't care what the clock says when the sun rises or sets, either permanently on or off is fine.

The current 3-week period where the US is on summer time ,while the rest of the world is still on winter time, is the stupidest result of DST ever.

I never understood what changing the clocks was supposed to accomplish. Just change what time everyone goes in to work (not that that really matters anymore with so much shift work, WFH, gig work, etc.) if you really want more daylight at one end or another.
Leave the damned clocks alone.

sfwarlock posted:

I live in San Francisco. If not for DST, dawn would be before 5 am for two months, mid-May to mid-July. If permanent DST, dawn would be after 8 am - after I get to work - for about three months, 11/23 - 2/13.

I'll take four days of mild jetlag over nearly five months of bullshit, please and thank you.

eh, California isn't a real place anyway.
but I really enjoyed the two weeks I was loaned to Mattel there. Let me tell you, being from TX, and having only experienced the Gulf waters, the ocean being cold was a literal shock.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

On the plus side, if he gets hit with Eternalblue the XP box will fall over and not be a useful pivot point.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Darchangel posted:

If only they (or anyone else) would have us filthy Americans (I'm assuming you're American, which I guess I should not do.)
My mother-in-law can claim citizenship by way of an ancestor, but I've got nothing, and, as noted, IT != critical job.

I wonder how far back that goes, both sides of my family are from there. Plus, contracting side-gig is based in Irelend, so maybe I'd have an in there.

Of course, we're talking 15-20 years out at least, because I have younger kids still, so leaving the country wouldn't be an option as much as I'd love to escape this hellholecapitalist utopia.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I don’t generally follow this thread but what was the update on the stolen monitors and keyboards?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

jaegerx posted:

I don’t generally follow this thread but what was the update on the stolen monitors and keyboards?

Some of the highlights I remember are, "Ultrawide monitor returned (because the person had dropped it and broke the screen)," "keyboard found on top of a urinal," and "executive noticed lack of equipment on new hire's desk on start day, asked pointed questions about reading comprehension."

Edit: And apparently I missed the more recent updates, sorry for the noise.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

I wonder how far back that goes, both sides of my family are from there. Plus, contracting side-gig is based in Irelend, so maybe I'd have an in there.

Of course, we're talking 15-20 years out at least, because I have younger kids still, so leaving the country wouldn't be an option as much as I'd love to escape this hellholecapitalist utopia.
Grandparents only I'm afraid.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Some of the highlights I remember are, "Ultrawide monitor returned (because the person had dropped it and broke the screen)," "keyboard found on top of a urinal," and "executive noticed lack of equipment on new hire's desk on start day, asked pointed questions about reading comprehension."

Edit: And apparently I missed the more recent updates, sorry for the noise.

"Second keyboard also found on top of a urinal", "heavy suspicion on employee passed over for role" and "new hire will work from home."

They are discussing buying him a telepresence robot, to which my reply was "make sure it's rated for water resistance, being thrown off roofs, and disappearing."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sfwarlock posted:

"Second keyboard also found on top of a urinal", "heavy suspicion on employee passed over for role" and "new hire will work from home."

They are discussing buying him a telepresence robot, to which my reply was "make sure it's rated for water resistance, being thrown off roofs, and disappearing."

I can't help but imagine this robot as like the ipads glued to segways from that one episode of Community

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I once got interviewed by one of those.

In a conference room, on-prem.

The interviewer was in Turkey.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I can't help but imagine this robot as like the ipads glued to segways from that one episode of Community

That's literally what they are. We used to have some.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's literally what they are. We used to have some.

This one they found is fancy. Apparently, from what I've overheard, computer-assisted steering (indicate where you want to go and it pathfinds), binocular vision to support a VR headset at the user end, and an arm with a finger suitable for pressing elevator buttons and pointing at things with the builtin laser pointer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Encourage them to spend as much money on fun sounding stuff as possible, it's not like you're going to get the money if they don't waste it, and you get to play with things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Encourage them to spend as much money on fun sounding stuff as possible, it's not like you're going to get the money if they don't waste it, and you get to play with things.

Yes, except I expect within a week this one will have a bag put over its head from behind, kicked down a stairwell, and then someone will wander in asking us to help "reset and setup" this "iPad they just bought used off Craigslist."