Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

sfwarlock posted:

This one they found is fancy. Apparently, from what I've overheard, computer-assisted steering (indicate where you want to go and it pathfinds), binocular vision to support a VR headset at the user end, and an arm with a finger suitable for pressing elevator buttons and pointing at things with the builtin laser pointer.

Mount a nerf gun to a few of them and set them loose in the cube farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd love a telepresence robot that can go under a desk and do cabling work on a cranky PC.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I bet a bomb disposal robot can do that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sfwarlock posted:

Yes, except I expect within a week this one will have a bag put over its head from behind, kicked down a stairwell, and then someone will wander in asking us to help "reset and setup" this "iPad they just bought used off Craigslist."

That robot is going to be hosed up worse than hitchbot in Philly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Edit: wrong thread

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 20, 2024

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I'd love a telepresence robot that can go under a desk and do cabling work on a cranky PC.

Bite your tongue; I think my ability to do that is all that really keeps them from outsourcing me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

Bite your tongue; I think my ability to do that is all that really keeps them from outsourcing me.

Okay, good point.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Shamelessly stolen from gossi on mastodon

quote:

Hot new tabletop scenario: you lay off lots of IT staff to pivot to AI and automation with a goal to cost cut, and then your remaining IT staff, who don’t understand what they are doing due to lack of institutional knowledge, deploy an automation that breaks a critical business process and plunges the business into chaos.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:sickos:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Doesn't take AI to screw that sort of thing up, just trusting of information you find on The Web. Reminds me of something a minion did recently. There was a ticket to image a couple of computers of termed employees in a given department that he scooped out of the queue and didn't ask anyone about.

Instead, he youtubes up "how to image a computer", finds a guy showing how to clonezilla (what is this, 1998?) your hard drive as a backup, and decides to go take over the computer of someone who's out sick, take theirs as a source, and clone - a raw hard drive image, from a domain joined computer - over two other computers. Chaos, naturally, ensued.

I caught up to him and the situation about when he was googling "computer has lost a trust relationship with the domain".

I'm starting to come around to the attitude espoused by a former coworker that it is bad and dangerous to use "the Googles" to look up errors, because people who do that just click on the first link and blindly do whatever it says.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Is minion new to IT? Sounds like the sort of thing I would have done when I was just starting out and still conflating hobbyist with corporate IT.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

rafikki posted:

Shamelessly stolen from gossi on mastodon

I’m just thinking about this in the Discworld context, replace AI with wizardry and you’ve got yourself a great foundation for some silliness. Shame Terry Pratchett is no longer with us.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
They pretty much did build AI, they had Hex

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hotel Kpro posted:

They pretty much did build AI, they had Hex

Nothing artificial about Hex.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

I have told my juniors: "If you were following a doc written by the company in good faith or you were following instructions from a senior engineer in good faith, and you blew something up, then it's a teaching moment, and you're fine.

If you run something off the Internet without vetting it with a senior engineer, you are taking your career in your own hands."

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Is minion new to IT? Sounds like the sort of thing I would have done when I was just starting out and still conflating hobbyist with corporate IT.

Basically. I've already given him the feedback (more than once) that he doesn't know what he doesn't know and he needs to check with someone before doing something he hasn't done before.

The "problem" is that our documentation is written as if you already know how to do and just need to know what to do.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 21, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Raerlynn posted:

I have told my juniors: "If you were following a doc written by the company in good faith or you were following instructions from a senior engineer in good faith, and you blew something up, then it's a teaching moment, and you're fine.

If you run something off the Internet without vetting it with a senior engineer, you are taking your career in your own hands."

Counterpoint: one of the prouder moments of my career. Approximately ten years ago, when I was a lowly level one admin, one night the office's Asterisk phone system had gone down and nobody knew why. All the SREs and seniors were asleep, so I did some googling, and freely tried a bunch of poo poo, and somehow I brought the drat thing back to life. I announced success by posting this video in the company chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDgNORm2uU

(I have a strong suspicion this this what got me promoted to a slightly-less-lowly level two admin.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It doesn’t help that Google results for any tech question have gotten unbelievably more lovely in the last few years and are now fully turning into an endless sea of generative AI slop.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Entropic posted:

It doesn’t help that Google results for any tech question have gotten unbelievably more lovely in the last few years and are now fully turning into an endless sea of generative AI slop.

It really doesn't help that at some point someone at google decided that ignoring part of search queries was fine and good.

I want to interact with this person in real life.

"And what will you have for your breakfast, sir?"

"I dunno, but I know I'm in the mood for sausage. What do you have with sausage?"

"Searching for breakfast with sausage. Sausage and eggs; sausage, eggs and toast; bacon, eggs and toast; bacon and black pudding; spam and eggs; spam and toast and eggs; spam, spam- "

"Wait, I said sausage!"

"Missing: sausage. Show results with sausage?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That boils my piss every time it happens

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

sfwarlock posted:

Basically. I've already given him the feedback (more than once) that he doesn't know what he doesn't know and he needs to check with someone before doing something he hasn't done before.

The "problem" is that our documentation is written as if you already know how to do and just need to know what to do.

The big problem with starting out in corporate IT is you frequently don't know what you don't know. I made plenty of mistakes like that when starting out, exercise patience with them, they'll get the hang of it with time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been in IT for over 20 years and I barely know what I don't know.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GreenNight posted:

I've been in IT for over 20 years and I barely know what I don't know.

35 years. I barely know what I know.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

sfwarlock posted:

It really doesn't help that at some point someone at google decided that ignoring part of search queries was fine and good.

"I dunno, but I know I'm in the mood for sausage. What do you have with sausage?"

"Searching for breakfast with sausage. Sausage and eggs; sausage, eggs and toast; bacon, eggs and toast; bacon and black pudding; spam and eggs; spam and toast and eggs; spam, spam- "

"Wait, I said sausage!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcY3W5WgNU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Darchangel posted:

35 years. I barely know what I know.

20 years in, and I know what I know.

And it ain't much.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

sfwarlock posted:

"Wait, I said sausage!"

This is extremely stupid, but you can force it to include your search term by putting it in quotes.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Would it be irredeemable of me to put my name in for a lateral move position in another department 3 months after starting here?

Turns out I detest project management and want to go back to managing IT

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not at all?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

This is extremely stupid, but you can force it to include your search term by putting it in quotes.
The point is that I shouldn't have to opt-in to search terms I just fucken told you I care about. If anything, I should have to opt-in and mark certain words as optional.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A Frosty Witch posted:

Would it be irredeemable of me to put my name in for a lateral move position in another department 3 months after starting here?

Definitely pursue the path to your happiness. Don't wait.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bloody Vikings.

guppy posted:

Yes it is and yes you can. But I shouldn't have to say Simon Says on every term.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree, that's why I said it was stupid, I'm just offering a workaround in case people don't know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sudo show results with sausage

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A Frosty Witch posted:

Do what makes your life better! Check the office politics of your place - some institutional hiring committees value longevity/loyalty more than others, i'm sure you know the deal, and prepare to allude to/address it in the interview if you need to

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

It's been a good five years since Google started internally rewriting keywords to match what it thinks you're searching for (I suspect they do this to boost ad hit rates, as it's the thing Alphabet make their money on), and in the last few years, they've decided that what the world really wants is to use natural language searches, similar to how you'd ask one of those digital assistants found in smartphones.

Thankfully, verbatim search (found in Tools > All Results) can still be forced, but it's a per-search thing, so like others I end up using quotation marks, or more recently, another search engine as default.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's been a good five years since Google started internally rewriting keywords to match what it thinks you're searching for (I suspect they do this to boost ad hit rates, as it's the thing Alphabet make their money on), and in the last few years, they've decided that what the world really wants is to use natural language searches, similar to how you'd ask one of those digital assistants found in smartphones.

Thankfully, verbatim search (found in Tools > All Results) can still be forced, but it's a per-search thing, so like others I end up using quotation marks, or more recently, another search engine as default.

I'll add to this. Chrome history has become really lovely because of this. I was reading a webstory, and sometimes fish the last chapter out of history to hit next, instead of going to the main page.

As a consequence, searching for 'developer' gets you results, but 'developer e' does not. It just doesn't seem to do partials any more, and/or sometimes its fucky with urls too.

Not super happy about it :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

I'll add to this. Chrome history has become really lovely because of this. I was reading a webstory, and sometimes fish the last chapter out of history to hit next, instead of going to the main page.

As a consequence, searching for 'developer' gets you results, but 'developer e' does not. It just doesn't seem to do partials any more, and/or sometimes its fucky with urls too.

Not super happy about it :(
I've used Firefox since it was called Phoenix (and Netscape Navigator before then), so I'm not even sure I understand what you're describing.

When I'm forced to use a Chromium-based browser, I very quickly get frustrated by ctrl+tab not switching between two tabs like alt+tab does windows, but instead just selecting the next open.
Then I install Firefox.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I still use a firefox too, (a fork, but still) and its searches work properly and actually go looking through the database based on what the user actually put in - not what it thinks it means.

This means it supports partials and typos.

To go off my above example, if i typo 'evelopers' into firefox history to pull out an old post, video, whatever, it shows results for 'developers' because it actually looks for partials.

if I make the same search in chrome it shows nothing. Same thing with the omnibar.
Even if I have opens tabs with the right name, without the errant D missing, its useful. It doesn't look for partials, actually carry out the search - and i'm sure its based on idiot or typo proofing the software, but still: It would be nice if its internals worked like firefox, and wasn't just takin a poo poo over basic stuff like that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh boy, look what Glassdoor did

https://twitter.com/carnage4life/status/1771132649391993063?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well that will kill the platform, congratulations to all involved