Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Already deleted my account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I deleted mine when I visited it for the first time in ages to look at some company reviews and it was desperately trying to get me to contribute in some communities before letting me read reviews. The link in the article to the data deletion request was news to me though.

https://help.glassdoor.com/s/privacyrequest

You can read all the reviews anyway by browsing to the page without being logged in and turning Javascript off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

What in the actual gently caress? The whole point is to be able to bag on your company anonymously.

Thanks Ants posted:

Well that will kill the platform, congratulations to all involved

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a ticket came in

quote:

One of the earpieces and cords that go with our headsets is leaking a viscous fluid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you employ Ash or Bishop?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Weedle posted:

a ticket came in

:barf:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Weedle posted:

a ticket came in

Well my day was going great up until this point.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
To continue dog-piling on Google's mindblowingly stupid decisions lately, what are people's thoughts on DuckDuckGo in TYOOL 2024? I refused to use it shortly after it came out because the search results were completely fucken useless, but I have got to assume that, years later, they've gotten better?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been using it for a while and have no real complaints.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been using it for a while and have no real complaints.

Good enough for me. Switched my default search engine and praying that I make it through the day without crying.

Thanks

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

DDG has probably gotten marginally better but every other search engine has gotten remarkably worse. Definitely use the !g if you’re using image search though, ddg is still real rough there compared to google images.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Weedle posted:

a ticket came in

Ear cheese.

We had a user a long time ago call about being unable to hear very well from their phone. Our voice guy didn't see issues with it, so he drove a phone over. One look at the phone he saw the issue, there was a coating of makeup on the handset so thick it was clogging the speaker.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use duckduckgo pretty exclusively. I'll still use a !g if I need to look up info on a specific product because those tend to have better results. Otherwise it's been great.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've used Firefox since it was called Phoenix (and Netscape Navigator before then),

Wh… what?

Firefox can trace its lineage to Netscape Navigator?

Well how about that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Wh… what?

Well how about that.

firefox can trace its lineage all the way back to ncsa mosiac

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Oh for gently caress’s sake

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Well, Netscape came with all those applications (mail, IRC, and who knows what else). Netscape 5 being a shitshow, Mozilla was made. Mozilla too came with all those applications. Then one guy got fed up with all that bloat and took out just the browser and released Phoenix. Which became Firebird because Phoenix was used by someone. Turns out Firebird was too, so Firefox it was.

This was the time before FreeBSD 5 too. The good old days. (well, kinda, I just went from dialup to 128Kbps cable with 3GB monthly traffic limit, but it was something).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 23, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What makeup goes on the ear

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Probably foundation from rubbing the area right in front of the ear, below the temple?

And yea, I moved over to DDG when Bing went heavy on the AI. As Vegastar said, DDG has improved, but the bigger factor is Google and Bing have gone to absolute poo poo.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

If you don’t mind a monthly fee, check out Kagi.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Probably foundation from rubbing the area right in front of the ear, below the temple?

And yea, I moved over to DDG when Bing went heavy on the AI. As Vegastar said, DDG has improved, but the bigger factor is Google and Bing have gone to absolute poo poo.

Wasn't DDG just Bing under the hood, but with less tracking?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nexxai posted:

To continue dog-piling on Google's mindblowingly stupid decisions lately, what are people's thoughts on DuckDuckGo in TYOOL 2024? I refused to use it shortly after it came out because the search results were completely fucken useless, but I have got to assume that, years later, they've gotten better?
I use it for probably ~70% of my searches, in that about half of the ones I perform, I don't need to append !google to the search query to get the result I want.

The bangs make it much more useful than most other search engines.

nexxai posted:

Good enough for me. Switched my default search engine and praying that I make it through the day without crying.

Thanks
One advantage it has is that it still links directly to the image, and your query results won't be utterly impossible to filter through all the stock image and image tagging sites.

Agrikk posted:

Wh… what?

Well how about that.
Yea, it shares code with the Mozilla Browser Suite, which started out life as a fork of Netscape Navigator.

Volguus posted:

Well, Netscape came with all those applications (mail, IRC, and who knows what else). Netscape 5 being a shitshow, Mozilla was made. Mozilla too came with all those applications. Then one guy got fed up with all that bloat and took out just the browser and released Phoenix. Which became Firebird because Phoenix was used by someone. Turns out Firebird was too, so Firefox it was.

This was the time before FreeBSD 5 too. The good old days. (well, kinda, I just went from dialup to 128Kbps cable with 3GB monthly traffic limit, but it was something).
It's a long and winding road, with some dark years in between - and it's sad that the foundation is largely funded by its competitor and might not exist if it didn't get the money (which I'm sure Alphabet does to avoid getting sued by the EU).
Worse yet, the foundation exists in service of the corporation which in turn develops the browser - so it's hard to ensure that any donations that don't come from Alphabet actually get earmarked for the browser, rather than all of the other nonsense that the corporation has come up with over the years

Still, it's better than having the company, which makes its lions share of revenue off ads, be the company that also provides not only the infrastructure but a significant part of the tech stack for how we interact with the internet.

Geemer posted:

Wasn't DDG just Bing under the hood, but with less tracking?
It has its own search engine (which was originally written in perl, not sure what it's written in nowadays - it's fed data by DuckDuckBot which you might spot if you ever look through web access logs), served by nginx on FreeBSD and Linux (like VeriSign with the A and J root servers, they use a mix of infrastructure), but I believe it also includes Bing, Yahoo, and Yandex (which I would imagine is probably suspended).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Volguus posted:

That was a wild few months when that poo poo went down, felt like the world was ending

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've still got the poster that Firefox sent out after they crowdfunded that New York Times advert

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I deleted mine when I visited it for the first time in ages to look at some company reviews and it was desperately trying to get me to contribute in some communities before letting me read reviews. The link in the article to the data deletion request was news to me though.

https://help.glassdoor.com/s/privacyrequest

You can read all the reviews anyway by browsing to the page without being logged in and turning Javascript off.

Thanks for the link! Of course Glassdoor totally have their poo poo together and so 10 minutes after the request is submitted you get one email per review you've ever posted telling you it doesn't meet community guidelines, likely because their only deletion process is for moderating not privacy requests. I do wonder if they'll actually follow through with a full removal behind the scenes rather than just hiding from view.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The world’s oldest firmware update has been deployed
https://twitter.com/iswupdates/status/1770901451159556487?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That's absolutely amazing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That’s absolutely terrifying

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So what's a good formula for calculating side-gig hourly rates these days?

I've got a couple of places interested in some short term tasks in my primary specialty, so I'm planning on using my current hourly as the basis for the math.

It would be 1099, so I'll have to account for that.

Are we still on the 2x train, or do we go higher now?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AlexDeGruven posted:

So what's a good formula for calculating side-gig hourly rates these days?

I've got a couple of places interested in some short term tasks in my primary specialty, so I'm planning on using my current hourly as the basis for the math.

It would be 1099, so I'll have to account for that.

Are we still on the 2x train, or do we go higher now?

What do you feel is reasonable for the time you're going to spend?

What do you think you can get? and does that conflict with the above?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

I see the date formats are different. But I don't understand what problem this is causing. What exactly is the problem that is happening? Are updates not getting through? I admit that I am dumb. So explain to me like I'm an extemely stupid person.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jen heir rick posted:

I see the date formats are different. But I don't understand what problem this is causing. What exactly is the problem that is happening? Are updates not getting through? I admit that I am dumb. So explain to me like I'm an extemely stupid person.

Apple does staged rollouts for AirTags.

They pick a date when to roll them out at a certain percentage; they then configured the rollouts to be finished April 0024

aka 2000 years ago, so iPhones immediately updated every AirTag they were paired with

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Amazed that config doesn't get converted during a build to 20240401 and evaluated to see if it's within a value like 100 days of the current date.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

Amazed that config doesn't get converted during a build to 20240401 and evaluated to see if it's within a value like 100 days of the current date.

They just smash the details onto an xml file on the Apple update server and that's that

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
At least they didn't set every single AirTag's date to be 24CE and accidentally brick every single one of them

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Data Graham posted:

sudo show results with sausage

No no with AI powering all the searched you have to say your dead grandmother used to give you good results without AI generated content farms in them and you wished the results for hot new video game were written by her.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Got a ticket from a guy saying he's been getting a lot of spam emails lately and wants to know what we can do about it. Turns out "a lot" is sixty thousand MAILER-DAEMON bounceback emails a day for over a month. He has almost a million unread messages in his inbox. My dude had a broken inbox rule set to forward emails to his cellphone.

Who waits a loving month to bring this up with someone??

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Like, to a personal mailbox they access through their cell phone?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

No, he just created a rule to try to forward all his emails to his cell number. Which of course didn't work. And then the first bounceback notification also got forwarded, which created a new bounceback message, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Got this in a project chat today.

This man is wise.