Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is a quick reminder that USCE is for discussing of current events and news about the United States in the year of our LORD 2026. If anyone has some interesting articles they wish to talk about, post it here! And please add some of your own commentary to it first. This isn't supposed to be a place to just dump bad tweets. There are plenty of other places to do that on SA, or if you just like reading those, do it on Twitter with the weirdos.

Welcome to the USCE Winter thread. Better late than never!

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So to continue from where we left off: Kevin McCarthy is an unfathomably stupid rear end in a top hat. Discuss.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

nine-gear crow posted:

So to continue from where we left off: Kevin McCarthy is an unfathomably stupid rear end in a top hat. Discuss.

The man is going to get pushed out of his chair for allowing one of the 12 investigative committees take precedence on TV, but he'll have been a Speaker of the House and you can't take THAT away from him gosh darnit!

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Well, I hope he's really stupid and results in the republican controlled house being an absolute clownshow and resulting in 2024 being a good year for the democrats.

Let's say Biden is re elected, gets back control of the house, and retains the senate. Might we see some new legislation? That would be nice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember the days when McCarthy was constantly causing problems for John Boehner and later Paul Ryan when they were in charge. I would say that now the inmates are running the asylum, but instead it's even crazier Reps now who are going to cause McCarthy headaches if he does actually get voted in as Speaker.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nice OP but it's 2023 now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nice dig at Party Plane Jones, OP.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Off topic question: I can't seem to find the live thread from the 2016 election. Was it deleted or am I not looking in the right place?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kevin Mccarthy pretty much needs Fraudy mcFraudster mcPathological Liar to stay in congress if he hopes to be speaker right?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Northern hemisphere winter started on December 21, and yet it took until January 1 to make the winter CE thread. Kind of lazy and embarrassing IMO.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

AtomikKrab posted:

Kevin Mccarthy pretty much needs Fraudy mcFraudster mcPathological Liar to stay in congress if he hopes to be speaker right?

I believe he is +6 on bare partisanship minus whatever Never Kevin groups there are, until Virginia gets their special election done witg.

Bring back the NYT Needle but its Keep/Leave Kevin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I did not have Donald trump starting a fight with the anti-abortion movement on my bingo card

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1609656830476574720?s=46&t=36aEeoAASBns7QlErXKmWA

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GoutPatrol posted:

This is a quick reminder that USCE is for discussing of current events and news about the United States in the year of our LORD 2022.

You heard it here folks, no discussing anything from 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kevin McCarthy will be fine until the Republicans have to pass a budget and he is forced to pass a budget that doesn't remove Joe Biden from power and is shived by I dunno, MTG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

evilweasel posted:

I did not have Donald trump starting a fight with the anti-abortion movement on my bingo card

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1609656830476574720?s=46&t=36aEeoAASBns7QlErXKmWA

He's right.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

No, it was also his fault.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, what utter moron appointed a bunch of pro life hardliners to the Supreme Court anyway. Blame that guy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

evilweasel posted:

Dude starts with the assumption that nothing bad can ever possibly be his fault and works backwards from there, at the cost of every single friend, easily verifiable history and even basic laws of logic

It's a unique combination of narcissism, cruelty and idiocy I thought could never be replicated until Musk came along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sinistral posted:

Yeah, what utter moron appointed a bunch of pro life hardliners to the Supreme Court anyway. Blame that guy.

Mitch McConnell and the Federalist Society? :confused:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

nine-gear crow posted:

he is really unequal to the challenge that lies before him and will probably fail to clear the first hurdle of actually being elected speaker, which i find hilarious

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what are the chances the lunatic caucus tries to hold the debt ceiling hostage and accidentally craters the global economy?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

So what are the chances the lunatic caucus tries to hold the debt ceiling hostage and accidentally craters the global economy?

Yes.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's gonna happen.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Professor Beetus posted:

You heard it here folks, no discussing anything from 2023

I wish

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

The first part? 110% chance that the MTG insanity crew tries to hold the debt ceiling hostage. There is nothing more certain to happen in any known field of study, even things that have already happened.

The second part? 20% of it ever actually happening. The money is the true puller of strings behind both parties, and doing something that financial algorithms don't even have programed as a possibility isn't going to be allowed to fully happen. Treasury will suddenly mint that trillion dollar coin or Biden will just admit that debt ceilings are loving stupid gamesmanship nonsense, and declare that if Congress says to spend money it is defacto authorizing the spending regardless of them saying "But we won't say more than $X". The only issue is that if they get too close to the line, our AI Market Overlords could just automate a financial Armageddon because they accidentally took the saber rattling seriously and thus tried to divide some variables by zero.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

haveblue posted:

The weak speaker actually makes this a bit less likely, to my uneducated thinking.

Basically anything* can be brought before the House with a majority of members (Discharge petition) but it usually isn't because it's a slap in the face of the speaker and the house leadership infrastructure. Thing with the debt ceiling is that most Republicans want it (because capital sure as gently caress does) but they've learned when you threaten to whoopsie global markets, you can get concessions. Here, pairing with the Dems to get that passed requires getting far fewer Republicans on board than usual thanks to the narrow majority. The weakest speaker in recent memory (which this is shaping up to be) is likely to have the weakest whip in recent memory... provided there even is a speaker the whole way through negotiations.

Debt Ceiling will fail the Hastert Rule, but peeling off a dozen purple suburban Rs with finance donors is way more feasible when the Speaker is a joke. Pelosi gets a lot of poo poo for her statements, positions, and actions, and for some reason that colors people's opinion of her efficacy. To a larger degree than even 2016-2018, we're about to see the difference competence makes in House leadership.

But I'm routinely overly optimistic(?) about capital's ability to overcome partisanship to get their goals achieved... so take this all with a grain of salt.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

2023 US Govt:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I always love this fantastic take. No, he's not right. He's literally responsible for it and he's to stupid to understand that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pencilhands posted:

I'm really curious why mccarthy even wants the job. I'm not saying Boehner or Ryan were some kind of political geniuses or anything but they're clearly at least as talented as he is, and failed miserably with a way bigger cushion and in a time when the gop was somewhat more moderate than it is now. What does he think is going to happen?

He's in California, so it's not like he has any real shot at getting elected to the Senate unless he moves to another state, which he can't really do because his political climb has been dependent on building up connections and patronage over a period of decades. And as long as the presidential candidates are coming from the Trump wing, all his old connections are gonna be worthless for getting him appointed positions.

The speakership is his only real shot at being more important than "just another House rep" in the next few years. And he can't give up on that ambition so easily - he's spent decades slowly building up to it, and then eight years building up his political support again after the Freedom Caucus came out of nowhere and torched his ambitions the first time around.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
chaos option, he found a notebook called "Clinton Deathnote" and he thinks he can prez climb his way to prez.

double chaos option, he fucks up spelling the names whatever number of times the rules say and gives both Biden and Harris immunity.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

haveblue posted:

Extremely high

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

Sure as gently caress hope not, it's pretty pock-marked already.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
1 person dead, 9 injured (some severely) in a New Year's Eve mass shooting in Alabama.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/1-dead-9-hurt-alabama-shooting-new-years-eve-party-rcna63882

2022 has surpassed 2019 as the deadliest year on record for mass shootings in the US

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d3adb/2022-mass-shooting-us-record

Happy 2023 everyone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Victar posted:

1 person dead, 9 injured (some severely) in a New Year's Eve mass shooting in Alabama.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/1-dead-9-hurt-alabama-shooting-new-years-eve-party-rcna63882

2022 has surpassed 2019 as the deadliest year on record for mass shootings in the US

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d3adb/2022-mass-shooting-us-record

Happy 2023 everyone.

lol there are so many mass shootings in USA that the professor of criminology keeping the statistics has had to limit the definition to 4 or more deaths

quote:

Fox, who defines mass shootings as shootings that result in four or more deaths. There is no standard, federal definition for what constitutes a mass shooting in the U.S., which makes it difficult to track mass shooting-related data. Fox said he specifically focuses on shootings resulting in mass loss of life.

“I understand injuries can be debilitating, but there is a big difference between dying and injury and we shouldn’t be conflating injuries and deaths,” Fox said, adding that otherwise, we risk stoking fear and overstating the risks people face when they go out in public.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR OVER REACTING :mensch:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

Tries? 100%. Succeeds? Low. Every major corporation, public and private, plus 80% of the billionaires in America will be screaming from the rooftops if it's allowed to happen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

New Years Resolution: get more mad at politics but don't join any local direct action groups

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This might be arguable as to whether or not it's United States current events but bolsonaro is holed up in Florida with Jose Aldo?

Like what? Is he even technically wanted in Brazil for anything?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He's not fully in hiding if thats his goal as he steps out with his finest polo shirt and photographer to sample the local haute cuisine.

https://twitter.com/diretodaamerica/status/1609281718111936515

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
2026 in the heart of the last gilded age. As the state of the earth's climate and biosphere continues to deteriorate, President Joe Rogan takes bold action: massive grants and subsidies for anything that sounds like it could perhaps be environmentally friendly (only to the most credulous), paid for by a flat tax on all purchases. The "Massive Unprecedented Sustainability Kick" act honors the recent death of the wealthy tech mogul, the murky details of which suggesting he was divested from life by a pack of tortured engineers, or apes, or both.

President Rogan spoke excitedly on the plan, espousing its potential for "tons of batteries, and loving sweet robots". His detractors, however, claim the move is simply to distract from the recent scandal when the president allegedly "chiefed a blunt" and gave Vermont senator Bernie sanders a vigorous headlock and noogie which resulted in his death. The president has issued a statement, saying he is "so totally wicked sorry, he was a rad old dude".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

2026 in the heart of the last gilded age. As the state of the earth's climate and biosphere continues to deteriorate, President Joe Rogan takes bold action: massive grants and subsidies for anything that sounds like it could perhaps be environmentally friendly (only to the most credulous), paid for by a flat tax on all purchases. The "Massive Unprecedented Sustainability Kick" act honors the recent death of the wealthy tech mogul, the murky details of which suggesting he was divested from life by a pack of tortured engineers, or apes, or both.

President Rogan spoke excitedly on the plan, espousing its potential for "tons of batteries, and loving sweet robots". His detractors, however, claim the move is simply to distract from the recent scandal when the president allegedly "chiefed a blunt" and gave Vermont senator Bernie sanders a vigorous headlock and noogie which resulted in his death. The president has issued a statement, saying he is "so totally wicked sorry, he was a rad old dude".

Still can't believe Rogan became speaker of the house after McCarthy Cameroned himself