Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

So for the next 12 months, I would like to do an anime rewatch club here in ADTRW. However, the theme of this is going to be 30-20-10. This means we will be watching an anime every month that premiered 30, 20 or 10 years ago (2013, 2003, 1993).

At the end of each month, we will take nominees for the next anime on the list. The show can be from any season in any of those three years no matter the month.

I would like to limit this to shows that are a MAXIMUM of 26 episodes. I would also like to limit it to things that are easy for all of us to find.

So for January, we will be watching Wolf's Rain

MAL Description:

quote:

In a dying world, there exists an ancient legend: when the world ends, the gateway to paradise will be opened. This utopia is the sole salvation for the remnants of life in this barren land, but the legend also dictates that only wolves can find their way to this mythical realm. Though long thought to be extinct, wolves still exist and live amongst humans, disguising themselves through elaborate illusions.

A lone wolf named Kiba finds himself drawn by an intoxicating scent to Freeze City, an impoverished town under the rule of the callous Lord Orkham. Here, Kiba discovers that wolves Hige, Tsume, and Toboe have been drawn in by the same aroma. By following the fragrance of "Lunar Flowers," said to be the key to opening the door to their ideal world, the wolves set off on a journey across desolate landscapes and crumbling cities to find their legendary promised land. However, they are not the only ones seeking paradise, and those with more sinister intentions will do anything in their power to reach it first.

This is available on Crunchy Roll and Funimation, in the US.

Watch Schedule:

26 episodes so 7ish eps a week but no strict time table. If it helps people keep up I will suggest:

January 2-8: Eps 1-7
January 9-15: Eps 8-14
January 16-22: Eps 15-21
January 23-29: Eps 22-26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_in_anime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_in_anime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_anime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't believe 2013 was 30 years ago

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

only looked at 1993 so far but Captain Tylor would be dope in the future

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh god do we have to talk to each other?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

oh god do we have to talk to each other?

On the forums, about anime, yes!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, what an illustration of just how much fuckin anime there is now. 1993 is like barren and everything is a year long, 2003 has an alright amount, and 2013 just baaaarfs this massive list.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Down for this - is there going to be a timeline for when we watch episodes by, or is it freeform discussion?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

God, what an illustration of just how much fuckin anime there is now. 1993 is like barren and everything is a year long, 2003 has an alright amount, and 2013 just baaaarfs this massive list.

2013 has the most classics though

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I almost went back to 83, but there were very few, very long shows. Plus I was only a year old then.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

Down for this - is there going to be a timeline for when we watch episodes by, or is it freeform discussion?

Freeform, since the shows will vary in length.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Namtab posted:

2013 has the most classics though

I mean you're right though

I'm going to nominate Samurai Flamenco every month until I get what I want

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fluffdaddy posted:

I almost went back to 83, but there were very few, very long shows. Plus I was only a year old then.

the only one i even recognize from 1983 is Cat's Eye lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FYI it's not on CR/Funi for AU, or..anywhere so break out the DVDs or sail the seven seas I guess

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

epic, 1993 has the Broly Movie

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
1993 has giant robo, which i have yet to see but is directed by the king imagawa

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
can't believe Wolf's Rain came out ten years ago! wow, it doesn't feel that long at all!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I don’t remember anything about wolfs rain except for some basic imagery, but I have a soft spot for early 2000s shows so I’m down. I do remember that it shares some musical dna with gits sac, I think they share a vocalist, so I’m looking forward to experiencing that again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The original kino's journey would be a good 2003 pick.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've actually never seen wolf's rain, but have heard it get recommended a lot. Will be interested to see if I think it lives up to the hype, or is coasting off of people's nostalgia.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I blame you now for the fact Stray is gonna be in my head for the next week

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sleng Teng posted:

I don’t remember anything about wolfs rain except for some basic imagery, but I have a soft spot for early 2000s shows so I’m down. I do remember that it shares some musical dna with gits sac, I think they share a vocalist, so I’m looking forward to experiencing that again.
all i remember is that it was exceptionally boring. virtually everyone who stuck through it was also a committed furry

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

all i remember is that it was exceptionally boring. virtually everyone who stuck through it was also a committed furry

Glad we wont have you along to poo poo up this thread while we watch it then!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
so is there a watch schedule or something for this

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

so is there a watch schedule or something for this

26 episodes so 7ish eps a week but no strict time table. If it helps people keep up I will suggest:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

Glad we wont have you along to poo poo up this thread while we watch it then!
very excited for the possibility of Captain Tylor tho. great show and criminally underappreciated even with the recent retro anime boom!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

also note that due to production issues the show has 4 recap episodes in a row so depending on where you're watching it those may be included as numbered episodes and it'll go to 30 episodes

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

to be fair that 2003 article isn't an exhaustive list, it's got about half of the shows from that year. there was a lot of anime even by then.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i loved wolfs rain

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime has a tendency to form bubbles that burst. There was a poo poo ton of anime in the 80s before the bubble burst with every lovely manga getting at least an OVA. 1993 was still a period of time where the anime industry hadn't really recovered yet. There was also a bubble burst in 2008, where it took a few years before there was shows being made again.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Anime has a tendency to form bubbles that burst. There was a poo poo ton of anime in the 80s before the bubble burst with every lovely manga getting at least an OVA. 1993 was still a period of time where the anime industry hadn't really recovered yet. There was also a bubble burst in 2008, where it took a few years before there was shows being made again.
1993 was probably the first season where the full effects of the crash were felt in anime production. a lot of funding just vanished. thankfully Patlabor 2 (arguably the last "80's" Bubble Economy Unlimited Budget Movie) was far enough along in production by the time the bottom fell out. not a surprise that nearly everything else that came out that year were big franchises like DBZ, Doraemon, Crayon Shin-Chan, Sailor Moon, LOGH, and Gundam.

brutal stuff. the Nikkei 225 is still lower than it was in 1990.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
A shame that 93 is basically off the table, but it's a cool theme. Hopefully there's a decent mix of more established titles and lesser-watched (but not bad) titles.

2003 does have the perfect option for October though, Requiem From the Darkness.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Went and rewatched this last July-ish and yes it is still very very good. Maybe the most Keiko Nobumoto thing ever that I know of

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I am almost through the first seven episodes and it's extremely 2003. Very melancholy with a lot of mysterious unexplained poo poo happening. It definitely relishes its slow pace since it had 2 cours to work with.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Watched the first episode tonight. I think it looks great and I'm into the tone and pacing. Very into the dystopian future with the Blade Runner-esque angle on werewolves. I think the fact that the wolf magic is unclear is in its favor right now as it adds a lot of intrigue to the mystery. Looking forward to more.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Sleng Teng posted:

yoko kanno was the music producer?director?composer? for both wolf's rain and GITS. she essentially can do no wrong.

i still have this series on DVD. the dub is pretty amazing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

DemonDarkhorse posted:

yoko kanno was the music producer?director?composer? for both wolf's rain and GITS. she essentially can do no wrong.

I just watched the first episode and it was immediately apparent it was a Yoko Kanno joint even without looking at the credits lol. Don’t know why I didn’t remember that part. Yoko Kanno is indeed great.

Speaking of: that shot of the wolf in the greenery at the start is one of the shots i remember from watching this as a kid, looking up the soundtrack the closeup of the muzzle is the cover. Good poo poo. Let’s you know right of the bat it’s going to be a bit of a downer show

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Maaya Sakamoto did the ED, Steve Conte did the OP, and I know Mai Yamane down there somewhere. That's the Kanno Krew

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

guess i'll watch a wolf show tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh poo poo read or die is in the 2003 list