Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Knocking out an episode of this a night, just got to episode five with the fallen wolves in the city. I am really enjoying this as a mood piece, particularly the very 80s dystopian future aesthetic, but some of the character writing/motivation feels like it can be a little vague and one-note at times, particularly with the wolf pack. Some of this is probably due to vibe and pacing and seems like an intentional artistic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Starting now

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Which episodes are the recap episodes?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Up to episode 11 now. Not finding terribly much to say other than it’s enjoyable but not amazing and as I remembered the ost is great. I appreciate how hard the show sells the fact that the main crew are not human beings: their names, movements, how they fight, interaction with Cheza, etc. same for her, her fall in the episode where they meet goes hard for the comparison to a twirling flower. I also enjoy the lovely airship cgi.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea the Yoko Kanno ost is strong as hell. Also I am behind a bit but am finding it just a pleasant quiet watch.

I'll have more to say when I finish it Monday

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Also it's time to start taking nominees for February

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

The original kino's journey would be a good 2003 pick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wolf's rain is cool. its a bit sleepy in spots and the show isnt quite as smart as it thinks it is but it still establishes a neat and memorable mood.

irresponsible captain tylor (1993) would be my pick

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pick your challenge: Azazel-san or Flowers of Evil

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am once again begging everyone to watch kamisama kiss

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

Also it's time to start taking nominees for February
gotta be The Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I'll stick a poll up when I get home.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

theres a lot of sick movies on the list too. maybe december can be movie month with 1993 broly, interstella 5555, little witch academia and tokyo godfathers for christmas

as for next month there are many good options. and if anyone tries to be a stinker and suggest narutaru, they should be flayed. kinos journey and cromartie are big options for sure though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kinmoza

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Poll for February is up

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kino's Journey seems like it'd be exactly my type of thing based on plot summaries so I voted for that.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Looks like the winner is Captain Tylor! It is on Crunchy Roll in the US:

From Crunchyroll's description:

Justy Ueki Tylor had his life all planned out: join the military, get a cushy desk job, and then retire with a big fat pension check. The perfect plan…until he wandered into a hostage situation and somehow managed to save an Admiral!

Now Tylor, a man who wouldn’t know what discipline was if it bit him in the backside, has been made Captain of the space cruiser Soyokaze! The crew of this run–down ship is the craziest, rag–tag team of misfits you’re ever likely to see, and they’re not too fond of their complacent new leader. But they had better learn to work together, because they’re about to go head to head with the mighty Raalgon Empire! For better or for worse, the Earth’s fate has been placed in the hands of a man who’s either a total idiot, or an absolute genius...

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Since its a short month, the viewing schedule is:

Episodes 1-4 (Feb 1st-5th)
Episodes 5-11 (Feb 6th-12th)
Episodes 12-19 (Feb 13th-19th)
Episodes 20-26 (Feb 20th-26th)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

Looks like the winner is Captain Tylor! It is on Crunchy Roll in the US:

From Crunchyroll's description:

Justy Ueki Tylor had his life all planned out: join the military, get a cushy desk job, and then retire with a big fat pension check. The perfect plan…until he wandered into a hostage situation and somehow managed to save an Admiral!

Now Tylor, a man who wouldn’t know what discipline was if it bit him in the backside, has been made Captain of the space cruiser Soyokaze! The crew of this run–down ship is the craziest, rag–tag team of misfits you’re ever likely to see, and they’re not too fond of their complacent new leader. But they had better learn to work together, because they’re about to go head to head with the mighty Raalgon Empire! For better or for worse, the Earth’s fate has been placed in the hands of a man who’s either a total idiot, or an absolute genius...
hell yes this show rules and everyone should watch it. one of the most underappreciated classics of its era.

the op is such a bop, and does a cute job of breaking the "4th wall" of animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8W7eF49xv4
please do not listen to the dub. it is awful even by lazy, cheap 90s standards

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Excellent. Captain Tylor has been on my list for a long time and now I have an excuse :cheersdoge:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
cool, gonna watch the first 4 episodes this weekend. only context i have is a vague half memory of a friend telling me this was cool 15 years ago

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i just watched this a few months ago already but it's good fun

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ep 1: did this mf just turn an ai sentient with the power of his dumbass flirting

this absolutely seems like a fun time

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Southern Cassowary posted:

ep 1: did this mf just turn an ai sentient with the power of his dumbass flirting

this absolutely seems like a fun time
lmao it is madcap hijinx throughout

e: i forgot how good and very "90s anime" the BGM sounds

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 3, 2023

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So who finished Wolf's Rain and has thoughts?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

So who finished Wolf's Rain and has thoughts?

I feel the gravity of it all

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The sequence of oppressive surveillance cameras in the penultimate episode was great. Jaguara is kind of a flop of a character. Everything else I said about the show earlier in the thread still applies. one song, the one for the fake paradise, is super cheesy lol. Not much else to say, it’s good and establishes its mood well.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

The sequence of oppressive surveillance cameras in the penultimate episode was great. Jaguara is kind of a flop of a character. Everything else I said about the show earlier in the thread still applies. one song, the one for the fake paradise, is super cheesy lol. Not much else to say, it’s good and establishes its mood well.

You didn't stop at 26 right? There's four more OVA eps after that.

EDIT: awww I love run, wolf warrior, cheesy it may be

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2023

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I didn’t stop there no, probably should have been clearer about what I meant by penultimate for just referring to the regular season.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
love the enemy agents disguised as anti-war revolutionary peaceniks in ep2. i forgot how quickly they introduce the supporting cast!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
watched the first 4 episodes on the bike today. loving it so far, minus the creepy background laughter that starts and ends the ed.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

TenementFunster posted:

love the enemy agents disguised as anti-war revolutionary peaceniks in ep2. i forgot how quickly they introduce the supporting cast!

the crew owns even though i've only seen them for 2 episodes. i think the twins are my favorites so far; they're the only ones 100% down with tylor's stupid poo poo + they wear goofy space suits. although the fist of the north star guys and pretty boy rookie pilot beating the poo poo out of each other 5 minutes after their introduction is also pretty cool. and the communications officer appears to be voiced by misato. maybe this is tougher than i thought.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

i think the twins are my favorites so far; they're the only ones 100% down with tylor's stupid poo poo

Big Leg posted:

the communications officer appears to be voiced by misato
Kotono Mitsuishi rules. she's in hybrid usagi-misato performance in this and has such a nice range that i forgot she voices both (and haro in Gundam SEED lol).

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 7, 2023

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

yeah that was the exact moment i went, 'maybe these twins are based and not just single episode props for a funny situation'.

TenementFunster posted:

Kotono Mitsuishi rules. she's in hybrid usagi-misato performance in this and has such a nice range that i forgot she voices both (and haro in Gundam SEED lol).

unfortunately i watched sailor moon with my sister on toonami when i was like 8, so i only have the filthy dub experiences.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This Tylor guy seems like he’s going places, a real go-getter.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sleng Teng posted:

This Tylor guy seems like he’s going places, a real go-getter.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
They need to put Tylor into the next Super Robot Wars.

I watched it a few months ago on Nozomi Entertainment's youtube channel, I didn't mind the dub that much.

RailtraceR30
Feb 10, 2023

meirl staring down the deadline of my lifeline.
Literally next in my queue for my personal MyAnimeList Anime Challenge. Been recommended to it more than once, and I'm glad it's up on YouTube in my region for ease of perusal.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wdarkk posted:

They need to put Tylor into the next Super Robot Wars.
finally, a no-kill playthrough option where you just recruit all the enemy grunts and accidentally make the enemy commander fall in love with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Up to ep4, which perfectly highlight's Tyler as a person

also the entire slayers crew is here and that makes me laugh