Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's been part of Trigun from the beginning and it's those very reactions from the commoners that Knives wants Vash to feel so that he becomes just as awful as Knives himself. It's very much the test for Vash similar to Spiderman where he'll do the right thing regardless of how shittily he's treated by people like Rosa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Arc Hammer posted:

That's been part of Trigun from the beginning and it's those very reactions from the commoners that Knives wants Vash to feel so that he becomes just as awful as Knives himself. It's very much the test for Vash similar to Spiderman where he'll do the right thing regardless of how shittily he's treated by people like Rosa.

Yah, that is very Trigun. Like I said it is more of a me thing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 21, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this version of vash doesn't seem like he's used to being treated like poo poo wherever he goes yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this version of vash doesn't seem like he's used to being treated like poo poo wherever he goes yet.

I dunno his reaction at the end of this episode was rather telling that it's happened before. And if he knows that Knives is going to July that would suggest that July might still be blown to smithereens already in this version.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I loved the shot of the knife orb.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
A farewell to arms should've been the title of that one

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Arc Hammer posted:

I dunno his reaction at the end of this episode was rather telling that it's happened before. And if he knows that Knives is going to July that would suggest that July might still be blown to smithereens already in this version.

I'm pretty sure that's coming next.

Edit: as in July will be exploded next episode or 2.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RC Cola posted:

I'm pretty sure that's coming next.

Edit: as in July will be exploded next episode or 2.

Yea, Knives stated that [minor possible spoilers based on the old show]Vash had yet to control his gate, which I assume has to do with his ability to manifest weapons. So I imagine Julai/July still exists in this version of the story, but Vash will manifest his big ol' space gun for the first time in the next episode or two and destroy the city the first time it activates, and have to learn to control it in future. So this episode is probably only the beginning of Vash's suffering.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I doubt that it will be next episode or the one after that but July will be a crater by the end of the series I am willing to bet.

Also they are posting next episode previews on their Twitter:

https://twitter.com/trigun_anime/status/1616805923565228034?s=46&t=io3_NS2s61yKRSJ-4PSLKg

Are they replacing Wolfwood’s smoking habit with a candy fixation?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why would Vash know to head east to July if July is still standing in this version?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unlucky7 posted:

Are they replacing Wolfwood’s smoking habit with a candy fixation?

He has both in that clip, so maybe this version is trying to quit by using a substituion?

Arc Hammer posted:

Why would Vash know to head east to July if July is still standing in this version?

At the end of the episode we see Vash following tire tracks, so he may just be assuming it based on the direction. Or he may know Knives has a base of operations there.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This show is great. I’m actually feeling sorry for the people who are refusing to watch it due to Vash’s haircut and lack of Millie. They’re really missing out.

Knives is scary as hell.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Knives is scary as hell.

As I was watching I had the thought that they were doing a really good job of making him feel like a loving terrifying horror villain.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So that's why he's called Knives.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sindai posted:

So that's why he's called Knives.

No, "Knives" isn't for his millions of knives it's because he's bisexual very sharp.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Never seen Trigun before but gave this a shot when it premiered and it’s a whole lot of fun. Cant wait to see where this goes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll be very interested to see what they do with Legato Bluesummers. Knives is already a monster but Legato was in a league of his own as far as unsettling antagonists go.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Legato is one of the most successful villains in anime history.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the original anime, knives barely had any goals so he was content to send threats that vash could handle at him. he was content to let it all play out slowly because he wasn't in any hurry. i think he might have been recovering from injuries, too? it's been a while. but now, he's not really loving around.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wow, why yes, that IS a million knives

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
999,999 knives didn't roll off the tongue as well.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Show is fantastic that is all

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Wolfwood needs to button his jacket,he's less cool with it open.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They are just slamming the pedal to the metal on these original show plot reveals, but I like it.

Looks like the Knives storyline is totally different. Looks like he's building an army of evil plants or something judging by all the tubes in the warehouse. Or maybe those are plants he's stolen from towns. Although that seems like more than they would have judging from the SEED ships we saw.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I've said before, it is interesting to see a Vash who isn't putting up (much of) a front, and is more or less what he seems to be. He still has secrets, but he's just not bringing them up and letting others reach their own conclusions rather than actively trying to hide them.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

This show is real loving good. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the first anime or read the manga so I only kind of remember what’s probably going to happen. Still wondering if Vash will find hairgel.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Very excited for episode 4. I've been reading the manga again and I forgot how wildly different it is tone wise

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm genuinely enjoying this new take on the series but it's about time I said it:

1) In my callow, overly-earnest youth I felt like Vash was a bit too silly most of the time but in my dotage I kind of want a little more of that back now

2) Where's Milly you motherfuckers

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
This show rules and I didn’t think after episode 3 they could keep ramping up but they sure as hell did. wolfwood’s gun having a cutting laser beam thing instead of rockets was dope

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good episode but I want to find whoever wrote the subtitles, sit them down and explain to them how suffixes work and what the double dollar sign means.

Also felt like a bit of a copout to squirrel away Meryl and Roberto like that and then not show how they rescued them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 29, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Good episode but I want to find whoever wrote the subtitles, sit them down and explain to them how suffixes work and what the double dollar sign means.

Also felt like a bit of a copout to squirrel away Meryl and Roberto like that and then not show how they rescued them.

Given the setup, I wouldn't be surprised if Zazie just let them go so that Wolfwood would have an easier time making nice with Vash. On that note, it's also useful that the villains have a fairly solid reason this time around for investing so much manpower and resources in psychologically destroying one fairly harmless dude - a personal grudge can only take you so far when you're trying to recruit an army of goons to traumatise your brother.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/peachlybeloved/status/1619525869659361280?s=46&t=iYZfRXxfTLwom9qJ1fqT7Q

I respect the effort that JYB has put into developing 'terrified Vash noises' as an artform.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
JYB makes Vash into a pure looney tunes character and I LOVE IT.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really like Zazie's design.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/peachlybeloved/status/1619525869659361280?s=46&t=iYZfRXxfTLwom9qJ1fqT7Q

I respect the effort that JYB has put into developing 'terrified Vash noises' as an artform.

Now that's more like it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think I can definitively say I do not like this take. It feels like a speed run between plot beats with none of the emotional beats.

I feel like Milly being gone is a huge hole in the character dynamic that the show isn't making up for with another cynical world weary person in her place.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

I think I can definitively say I do not like this take. It feels like a speed run between plot beats with none of the emotional beats.

I feel like Milly being gone is a huge hole in the character dynamic that the show isn't making up for with another cynical world weary person in her place.

I mean, there’s a chance they could still bring her in later in some capacity considering this isn’t a straight 1:1 adaption of the manga but I’m not holding my breath at this point.

Roberto isn’t bad per se but I’m still not entirely sure why they felt the need to create an entirely new character for this

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I really wanna come around on Stampede but it kinda feels like watching something like the JoJo OVAs as a supercut of well-animated moments with little room to breathe. It makes it really strange to watch because it can be so beautiful in motion but it has the trappings of a thing I love specifically for its careful pacing and spiritual core

I'm mostly just hanging around now to see any characters from the manga that weren't in the TV anime. I'll just try to take it for what it is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i sort of get it. nu-meryl's so sheltered she barely seems to recognize that she lives on a lawless desert hell world. it'd be odd if she was leading milly around.

as for why her character was changed, i dunno. my guess is that they changed vash first and then worked outward to have everyone else make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think that Milly will appear, maybe as someone who works for the the same news agency as Meryl and Roberto but stays at the main office rather than being out in the field.

As a prediction, Roberto is going to die partway through and Meryl will take up his derringer, and Milly will join up in his place.