Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Last of Us adaption is coming and apparently it's pretty good. Even better than the Uncharted adaption! This is a thread for people who has played both games plus Left Behind. Is Joel the real villain? Will HBO have the guts to kill him off in the potential second season? Who has the best beard? Will it be canceled before the second episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hopefully they have Pedro re-create classic Joel gifs like:

Honestly though, I'm hopeful after seeing all the positive reviews. Though I'm not sure if a near 1 to 1 adaption is a good thing or a boring thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Teek posted:

Hopefully they have Pedro re-create classic Joel gifs like:

Honestly though, I'm hopeful after seeing all the positive reviews. Though I'm not sure if a near 1 to 1 adaption is a good thing or a boring thing.

It doesn't have to be 1 to 1. Like, I'm sure they'll hit the main story and character beats from the games. But, IIRC, there's large gaps of time in that story where could do some stuff not from the games.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone planning on a non-spoiler thread? I played the first TLOU but not the second and already I have been spoiled by the OP. :/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That happens super early in the second game. It basically is what causes the plot of 2 to happen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm making a non-spoiler thread right now.

e: here it is

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 11, 2023

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

spoiler: the game is already a tv show - a bad one

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

hey guess what

pedro pascal is gonna get his head caved in to the dismay of millions once again!

i'm looking forward to this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think this season has a chance of being better than the first game. I love TLOU, but the first 55-60% does drag a bit for me, and I don’t think it really reaches masterpiece-level until they get to the university (although once it does it fuckin stays there, for sure). Sounds like they’ve done a lot to deepen those earlier sections in the show, including an entire episode focused on Bill and Frank.

(and just for comparison’s sake - I think Part II is one of the best games ever made and definitely the best storytelling there has ever been in the AAA video game space)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It also sounds like they've reworked the Autumn sections, or worked back in material that was cut from them. Will be cool to see how that all shakes out.

Escobarbarian posted:

(and just for comparison’s sake - I think Part II is one of the best games ever made and definitely the best storytelling there has ever been in the AAA video game space)

Yeah, hard agree.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm worried about the Pre-Outbreak scenes I've been reading about and hope they add to the story and character development. One of the things I liked most about the 1st game was how jarringly fast everything happens to the world. Then once it jumps to the present day, it stays there while giving you environmental clues about the outbreak and aftermath as you traverse and explore the world, along with Joel's dialog to fill in his backstory.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jumping right to part 2 in the second season would be pretty wild. Although if that happens it’d probably take a couple of years to come out anyway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I honestly think this season has a chance of being better than the first game. I love TLOU, but the first 55-60% does drag a bit for me, and I don’t think it really reaches masterpiece-level until they get to the university (although once it does it fuckin stays there, for sure). Sounds like they’ve done a lot to deepen those earlier sections in the show, including an entire episode focused on Bill and Frank.
I really liked the interactions with Bill and Ellie. That whole section is a really good example of to let the environment tell a story. Like how they at one point reach a threehouse in a garden. That loving sewer level though.

quote:

Yeah. It's gonna be wild if they adapt that game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol this is gonna suck rear end

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree. I like TLOU 1, but I love TLOU 2. The first game like you said has a stretch which is just okay, after the excellent opening, but it's necessary to develop Joel and Ellie's relationship so that the last third works as well as it does. The game is tied to having you play as Joel through all those gameplay sections though so there's no opportunity to look outside of his perspective. The show will be able to do that more often and I suppose that's a risk but it could also really liven up those parts of the story where not much is happening. So rather than having another half hour of dealing with bandits, you can just introduce a new character or focus on Bill's story for more time and give it more weight.

I think it would be cool if they didn't jump straight to TLOU2's story and gave us a bit more of Jackson in the between years.

Season 1 covering the first game seems like it will probably be pretty straightfoward to adapt, but adapting TLOU2 is going to be really interesting because there are so many different ways to tell that story, and areas that could be filled in or not.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

lol this is gonna suck rear end

why do you say that?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

How many episodes is the season? 8 episodes seems to be a thing right now for "prestige" shows and if each episode is 55 minutes minimum, there's a lot that can be done. I haven't played the game in several years, but from what I recall, the story takes maybe 4 hours to be told to completion. Even some of the character building in the game is stuff you have to wait for. You have to wait for Ellie to pull out her joke book, but in the show they'll just have that in moments of brevity anyway.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I read somewhere that it was 9 eps this season and ep 3 is 80 minutes, but I don't know if those are true for sure.

And yeah if you take out a bunch of the gameplay, assuming some of it will be kept as action sequences, 9 hours is more than enough time to tell the story with space for new elements and more detail.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aces High posted:

How many episodes is the season? 8 episodes seems to be a thing right now for "prestige" shows and if each episode is 55 minutes minimum, there's a lot that can be done. I haven't played the game in several years, but from what I recall, the story takes maybe 4 hours to be told to completion. Even some of the character building in the game is stuff you have to wait for. You have to wait for Ellie to pull out her joke book, but in the show they'll just have that in moments of brevity anyway.

If they cut Ellie getting her book of puns I will be so mad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alhazred posted:

Truly, Part II's real crime was that she didn't drop any Arnie style puns.

"Nice to beat you Nora."
"He's Owen nowhere now."
"All dogs go to heaven, Alice."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aces High posted:

Yeah, as said above it's nine. They were ordered for ten, but the episode order was cut during development resulting in them having to squash two episodes together.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Seen a reference to this in at least one review so it’s definitely there!

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I've seen the whole season but can't get too detailed as you have to sign a blood oath not to reveal anything (which is weird since it's adapted from a 10 year old game). It's not gonna offer much different for anyone who's played the game. It sticks to the game story almost entirely, with only a few changes. Most of those changes are good or understandable given the format of episodic TV. Some of them are kind of superfluous or just not good.

Probably the first game adaptation I've seen since Silent Hill that feels extremely respectful to the source material. Only difference is the people making this show can write a lot better than the people who made Silent Hill (I mean no offense to the SH movie, I like it despite its flaws). The biggest digression from the game is probably how they handle Bill's character. I think the Pittsburgh section (now changed to Kansas City, I'm guessing to make it more geographically sensible) is the best part of the show, plus when they visit Tommy. And if you've paid attention to the casting news you already know Left Behind gets its own stand-alone episode.

Game fans will probably be happy that it successfully recreates the big moments without loving up, or bored since it sticks so close to the game that it doesn't offer something much different. The casting is pretty bang on though, with some exceptions.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Playing through at least Act One right now to get hype!

I always forget how genuinely upsetting Sarah’s death is: I hope it happens as early in the show as it happens in the game because I’ll be dreading it the entire time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm looking forward to this so much. Chernobyl ruled and TLOU2 is one of the most emotionally effective stories I've seen in the last several years, and I generally don't like videogame stories.

TLOU1 I've always thought was mostly just fine, but then elevated a lot by the very final conversation before the credits rolled. It has a lot of room for improvement that I think Mazin (and a more experienced Druckmann) can bring, especially in the first half. So, this show is a nice chance to bring the rest of the storytelling up to the level of the closing chapter.

If they proceed on to TLOU2, they'll have their work cut out for them. It sounds like Mazin realizes that too, he's said there's no way they could cover the second game's story in a single season, but finding a way to make it work over multiple seasons would also be hard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

If they proceed on to TLOU2, they'll have their work cut out for them. It sounds like Mazin realizes that too, he's said there's no way they could cover the second game's story in a single season, but finding a way to make it work over multiple seasons would also be hard.

Abbie arriving at the cinema seems like the narural place to end season 2. But at the same time having a whole season 3 without Ellie and not reaolving the cliffhanger until the end seems hard to pull off. Then you have to deal with the epilogue.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

navyjack posted:

Playing through at least Act One right now to get hype!

I always forget how genuinely upsetting Sarah’s death is: I hope it happens as early in the show as it happens in the game because I’ll be dreading it the entire time.
The acting is so good that it's genuinely hard to watch it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Alhazred posted:

Abbie arriving at the cinema seems like the narural place to end season 2. But at the same time having a whole season 3 without Ellie and not reaolving the cliffhanger until the end seems hard to pull off. Then you have to deal with the epilogue.

I'd be surprised if they stick to the actual structure of TLOU2. That game could be presented in lots of different ways.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Honestly I think it would be better to do the first game and then just stop.
The first games story is just far tighter than the seconds and it will be so much harder to adapt that I just don't see it turning out good without huge re-writes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 12, 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mega Comrade posted:

Honestly I think it would be better to do the first game and then just stop.

Nooooooo. I absolutely want to read the show-onlies reaction to Joel dying

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

justlikedunkirk posted:

I've seen the whole season but can't get too detailed as you have to sign a blood oath not to reveal anything (which is weird since it's adapted from a 10 year old game). It's not gonna offer much different for anyone who's played the game. It sticks to the game story almost entirely, with only a few changes. Most of those changes are good or understandable given the format of episodic TV. Some of them are kind of superfluous or just not good.

Probably the first game adaptation I've seen since Silent Hill that feels extremely respectful to the source material. Only difference is the people making this show can write a lot better than the people who made Silent Hill (I mean no offense to the SH movie, I like it despite its flaws). The biggest digression from the game is probably how they handle Bill's character. I think the Pittsburgh section (now changed to Kansas City, I'm guessing to make it more geographically sensible) is the best part of the show, plus when they visit Tommy. And if you've paid attention to the casting news you already know Left Behind gets its own stand-alone episode.

Game fans will probably be happy that it successfully recreates the big moments without loving up, or bored since it sticks so close to the game that it doesn't offer something much different. The casting is pretty bang on though, with some exceptions.

can you say if they make good use of Santaolalla's music? it was such a big part of the games for me, but I almost injured myself eyerolling at the Take On Me slow cover in the trailer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

101 posted:

Nooooooo. I absolutely want to read the show-onlies reaction to Joel dying

That's probably reason enough to not do it considering how people reacted when it happened in the game..

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Alhazred posted:

That's probably reason enough to not do it considering how people reacted when it happened in the game..

The majority of this was fuelled by gamergate type people, or whatever they're called nowadays. There's always going to be a portion of the audience which is mega vocal about things like that, but I think the HBO audience would mostly be grown up enough to handle a meaningful character death.

It's been a bummer to see so much of TLOU2 conversation revolve around the horseshit controversy as if it's a legitimate issue. I'm not saying you have to like it, but it's been so exaggerated. I think most people who didn't throw a tantrum because the alpha male got murked by a woman recognise it's a quality story, right?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Tlou2 was better than 1.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
What are other video game adaptations coming out that networks are taking seriously? I know there's a Fallout series at Amazon in the works, but the common theme seems to be that they're both post-apocalyptic settings. I'd love a Horizon show, but the special effects budget would probably be insane, and again it's another post-apocalyptic setting.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SyRauk posted:

What are other video game adaptations coming out that networks are taking seriously? I know there's a Fallout series at Amazon in the works, but the common theme seems to be that they're both post-apocalyptic settings. I'd love a Horizon show, but the special effects budget would probably be insane, and again it's another post-apocalyptic setting.

Horizon is getting a show at Netflix (it’s more of a prequel, before the apocalypse, with small bits of the Alloy’s time period, though). God of War at Amazon. Sony is pursuing the big budget adaptations pretty hard.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/thelastofusnews/status/1613451505897730049?s=46&t=orHBVXeQag-gwgfyc2UFoA

Gabriel Luna sounds exactly like Tommy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

horizon is dogshit.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

tentatively interested and hopeful that this could be good. I still quite enjoy the first game though I think the second is absolute utter trash that basically misses the point of everything that made the first game good.

Druckmann is poo poo so his involvement is not great. Chernobyl is phenomenal though so that’s a very strong balancing out factor.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol that's uncanny