Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sure, but it'd be great if you also weren't using that kind of language here too. Like, maybe I'm being deeply obnoxious here too and apologies if so, I recognise that maybe this is an unwelcome overstep.

But I genuinely believe that we could have a really good thread if we all just operated on the good faith assumption that the people posting here and now are well motivated in their likes and dislikes, and stop dredging up the past to continue fighting those same battles in the present...

I really hope it doesn't feel like I'm singling you out here specifically, or the arguments made by people who are agreeing with you. That's not my intention. But I feel like, I dunno, most people here are in their forties and even if not we're all old enough and ugly enough to be better than this.

Look, um I'm probably being dumb so that's all I'm gonna say. I'm sorry if this is rude or makes people upset, it's the exact opposite of my intentions here.

Edit: euugh gently caress earnest post page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Based on the changes made during the first season, I really don't have any faith that the showrunners could come up with an original story more interesting than what happens in the second game. I don't need more TWD-style zombie world filler. I don't think 2 is a perfect game or anything and, putting gameplay aside, it's such a different narrative than the first that it's even difficult to directly compare them, but when it comes to making a dramatic TV show out of them I think I could argue that the story of 2 is much more robust and interesting for an adaptation.

And within the story told by 2, I'd say there's plenty of content to fill 2 seasons. I imagine that the biggest changes will be structural to allow Ellie, Joel, and Abby to each have a decent amount of screentime, at least in the first half.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

There definitely were some elements of that in some of the people who were actively hating on it on social media and reddit and stuff, I think there was also a significant cohort who just wanted the sequel to Last of Us to be more Joel and Ellie adventures where nothing bad happens to either of them and Ellie has no issues with what Joel did, basically an entire game of the museum flashback bit. They definitely didn't want a game that'd try and make a point or introduce any friction.

If that's a persons opinion and they're like "it wasn't for me I guess" then fair enough, if they're still angry and posting about it months or years later then I dunno, gently caress em I guess.

It sorta reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2 in some ways, actively tries to push back on some of the hero worship of the main character of the previous game, makes you play as a different character a lot of people aren't going to like, kept that second part secret until the game released, etc. I wasn't as active on forums back in 2001 but I assume people were just as pissed off about that?

People were SUPER pissed off about MGS2 at the time. It was just pre-Youtube grifter era, so nothing gained enough traction for it to completely take over the narrative and the gameplay, etc. (and the retrospect Kojima predictions about memes, etc.) made it win out over time.

TLOU2 just had bad timing because everyone was trying to grift young males at the time and it became the perfect target.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My money's on the Seraphites taking up a lot of airtime. People love being led down a culty crumb trail, and the game only gave us a slice of all the wrong that went on there. Season one pulled off that vibe with the cannibals, and the Seraphites could easily scale up to a longer arc. Would probably be more rewarding than "revenge is bad" x100 (corresponding to Ellie throat-stabbing 100 dudes).

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Probably true about the seraphites getting a lot more focus. They are pretty goofy in the game and I felt like even though the raid on their island was a gameplay highlight, story wise it felt like something out of a stupider game.

The thing I'm curious about is also the structure because although Pt2 is a lot longer, in terms of narrative, it's pretty dense and contained. You have the prologue in Jackson, then most of the game takes place in Seattle over a few days of overlapping events, and then an epilogue in California.

I don't see where the 50/50 split would happen. I doubt it's going to be where it is in the game, when Abby shows up and kills Jesse. That works if you're going immediately into Abby's story afterwards but I don't think it works as a cliffhanger before 1+ year break. So they'll need to invent some new structural/plot related events, rejig how things happen in terms of timing. This will probably be possible because there's no consideration for gameplay pacing that needs to be made. You could do all of the events in a different order and add some new ones.

There's the possibility that they extend the section where Joel is alive, but his death is the instigating event so I expect he'll be dead by the end of an extra length premiere. Plenty of flashback material to keep Pedro pascal in the cast for 2 seasons, really, although probably not top billing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Joel flashback in every single episode and he stayed on the main cast. Or one or two full flashback episodes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they'd probably still need to give Pedro top billing if only to keep the surprise for people who don't know the plot yet

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The structure is gonna be a toughie. The two options that come to mind are keep it much like it is right now which means that Ellie is not there for most of the second part (likely that is season 3) and Abby is not seen after the golf outing until "and you wasted it..." or you do a sort of westworld s1 or game of thrones essos/westeros thing where there's two stories going on being flipped back and forth. But I don't think that works quite as well for subverting what you think of abby.

And yeah I think we have plenty of pedro in flashbacks, probably a whole episode for the museum. and he'll have top billing for season 2 at least, to keep the surprise

If there is a season 4 and/or 5 for the rumored part 3, well, I guess we'll have to see who gets top billing there but probably not ghost pedro

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I love Pascale, but I think he would be best used sparingly after Joel's death. Much more than the trip to the museum and back to Salt Lake risks dampening the impact.

IMO how they handle the switch to focusing on Abby after her killing Joel is going to be crucial. A poo poo ton of people aren't going to want to keep watching. I didn't want to keep playing at first, but I figured "at least the game play will be good, and I already sunk $60 into this game." Also, in my estimation, playing as a character forces you to engage with them in a way just watching them doesn't.

The Bill and Frank episode was mostly self-contained, and I could see a similar episode about the origins of Seraphites working well too. You'd have to find an actress with crazy gravitas for the Phophet though.

Also I'd love to see Jeffrey Wright reprise his role as Isaac and be more prominent. I'm sure they'll talk to him, but who knows if he'll want to do it. Bokeem Woodbine would be my second choice. The dude is menacing as gently caress in Fargo.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 11, 2023

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

deoju posted:

Much more than the trip to the museum and back to Salt Lake risks dampening the impact.

In the game itself there are no fewer than six post-Joel death Joel flashbacks, effect seemed to be fine.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

deoju posted:

You'd have to find an actress with crazy gravitas for the Phophet though.

Shohreh Aghdashloo. Done. Next.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

None of the writing suggested the prophet was crazy, its what happened after she died

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

None of the writing suggested the prophet was crazy
Well there is the newspaper article that says she was a prepper who claimed to have premonitions of the collapse of society. I sensed a Christ analogy along the lines of like, Christ wasn't the only prophet saying crazy stuff at the time, just the one who caught on.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The series is adapting part II and I am excited to see it, as the game is one my favourite pieces of media

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My guess is they integrate the Abby material from the off. The midgame climax works as a midgame climax, but IMO it doesn't work as a season finale -- and there's nothing the game that would substitute tbh. The other two big mid-game climaxes (the radio station and the hospital basement) don't resonate with the structure and themes in the same ways, and could arguably be replaced with pretty much any other random action set-piece without losing anything from the story's superstructure.

Plus playing the two arcs simultaneously would somewhat avoid the problem of actors aging and looking funky, particularly if they blow out the timeline.

Either approach (linear or the game's non-linear first two acts) risks making the two seasons quite repetitive. Which, again, works for the game since the medium is being used to grind you down and push your endurance, and though television can do this (Six Feet Under's That's My Dog is always my go to example) it's a protracted medium with built-in breaks. If the series wants to adapt that particular aspect it'll have to adapt its approach to avoid becoming tedious.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hasn't the prophet been dead for years at this point though? Hence the drift from her principles to all the bullshit the elders who replace her start imposing and becoming tradition. I agree though that Shohreh would be an awesome choice if they were to decide to include her.

The biggest challenge they face in adapting Part II is convincing the audience wee Bella can present a credible threat to Abby in any way whatsoever, this ain't David we're talking about, more like a human wrecking ball. Even weak and emaciated, she still put up a hell of a fight.

drat, Abby owns tho.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm good with any actress for Abby as long as she has big hugging arms.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Hasn't the prophet been dead for years at this point though? Hence the drift from her principles to all the bullshit the elders who replace her start imposing and becoming tradition. I agree though that Shohreh would be an awesome choice if they were to decide to include her.

The biggest challenge they face in adapting Part II is convincing the audience wee Bella can present a credible threat to Abby in any way whatsoever, this ain't David we're talking about, more like a human wrecking ball. Even weak and emaciated, she still put up a hell of a fight.

drat, Abby owns tho.

The actual casting for the prophet speculation is that people suspect they'll do a flashback for certain elements of the show. I'm not sure they need to add more stuff but I could see them wanting to expand some of the other groups backgrounds.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ellie loses her marbles and hallucinates Joel speaking to her, giving advice, etc in every episode. In the final episode...he saves her from a clicker????

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kaitlyn Dever has been officially cast as Abby for Season 2.

Time to hit those weights I guess.

Adding spoiler tags for those who want to keep up the suspense :lol:
(Don't hover the link then)

Funny that the article mentions what I always thought, she would have been the perfect Ellie if not for her age.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

she actually resembles the abby face model quite a bit.

vaguely remember her from justified. was she a kind of ellie-ish character in that?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hope she's been made aware of the absolute storm of shite she's probably walking into and is being paid a whole lot.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah abby's actor should be getting a hefty nerd rage stipend on top

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, that's pretty wild casting to me. I've been all aboard the Kaitlyn Dever train since Justified, she rules, I just never would have connected her to the role. I've also always considered her to be a pretty tiny actress, but maybe that's influenced by her playing a lot of teenage roles. Bella is also super small so it probably makes less of a difference.

But she's incredible, I have nothing but confidence in the portrayal with her doing it. Let's hope the writing matches.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Elijah Wood was 8 feet tall when they filmed LotR and they managed to make him appear shorter than Ian McKellen who is barely 9 inchs tall on my monitor so I figure those CG wizards can sort out something here.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I take back everything I said, I found an on set photo of her taking someone down like a beast

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
She already played Cassie Drake in Uncharted 4, so I guess Druckmann took a shine to her then.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I'll bet this has already been posted a million times, but you can watch Abby play TLOU2. This is the one with the golf club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AZ45Q_3xdk

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Dinas face model playing the game was also a fun watch,

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Offerman says ideas for a Bill and Frank spinoff miniseries have been discussed.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2024/01/nick-offerman-wants-to-make-a-bill-and-frank-the-last-of-us-hbo-spin-off

Episode 3 was some of the best TV I've ever seen, and I understand the temptation to return to those characters, but their story was so perfect as is. Anything more than 3 episodes would be a mistake imo. One for each character between outbreak and them meeting, and a third about their relationship growing. But then again if there's money to be made... :homebrew:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can really only see it from detracting from the story that was already made.

But if the network wants to pay for it, sure, cash those checks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Platystemon posted:

I can really only see it from detracting from the story that was already made.

But if the network wants to pay for it, sure, cash those checks.

We never saw there bodies on screen, turns out they were just napping and the spin-off is them being angry at Joel for stealing their car.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Watched the entire series over last weekend and wow, what a ride. Love everything about it but I wish they'd lay off the handheld for the big symmetrical artsy wide shots. Pick a loving lane :argh:

As someone who didn't play any of the games or watch anything related to the games, at all ever, I gotta say I was impressed right off the bat and my enjoyment only continued to rise. It's a masterclass on building and releasing tension. Finding out after the fact just how many exactly beat for beat (or shot for shot) moments were lifted directly from the game only impressed me more, and yes I am the type to immediately start looking up everything related to the game and how it was handled in the show the second I finished the last episode. Looking forward to season 2 even if I did spoil it for myself in the process.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 10, 2024

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I looked at a bunch of lists of cool jackets this weekend and ordered one, and it ended up being Joel's jacket from this tv show and now I feel like a huge dork.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It must come in other colors, right? Get one of those and nobody will know.

They cast Jesse. I've never seen him in anything, but he looks the part. Asian, handsome, the right age. And he was nominated for an Emmy, so he presumably has chops.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/the-last-of-us-young-mazino-cast-jesse-season-2-hbo-series-1235702233/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You should watch Beef.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Alhazred posted:

You should watch Beef.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Handsome enough that you don't feel bad swooping on Dina second they break up because you know Sensitive Asian Cowboy is going to bounce back.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Isabel Merced cast as Dina. Dunno her myself.
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/last-of-us-season-2-cast-isabela-merced-dina-1235868899/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/DomTheBombYT/status/1750658556687511809