Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Pretty much what it says on the tin - I just spent $15 on an older Android smartphone, for use as with a 3D printer, and need a USB splitter that will provide both OTG and power to the phone, while plugged into the printer. There's a poo poo-ton of cheapo Chinesium splitters on Amazon and other sites (most of which appear yo use the same product image, so I suspect it's container-loads of the exact same one), but most either say they won't charge a phone when providing OTG, or customer reviews say they don't.

Just need a simple cable - USB-A female/Micro USB female/Micro USB male - that will pass enough juice to keep the phone charged, while still providing OTG connection.

(Phone is Xiaomi Mi 4i, printer is Elegoo Neptune 3 (original, not the later models). Tried the USB charge/OTG hub I already have, and either no connection, or no charge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Step 1 is to figure out if your Android phone supports simultaneous charging and data from the USB port. Some do, some need a jailbreak+custom kernel, some you're SOL.

An iPhone with a camera adapter can do this (assuming the right software is available), and on an Android phone with a USB-C port that supports Power Delivery it's a breeze: https://a.co/d/iaAyowB

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, was digging hard trying to find information, and a lot of people pulling this off were running custom firmware. Others had luck in soldering various resistors into the USB cable... beyond my arthritic/neuropathy-affected hands, though.