Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"Against the Storm on Steam posted:

Against the Storm is a roguelite city builder where every run is a bite-sized city-building experience with a distinct variety of problems to solve. As the Scorched Queen’s Viceroy, you’re in charge of Humans, Beavers, Lizards, Harpies, and Foxes who stand united against hidden dangers and never-ending rains.

With six mechanically distinct biomes, dozens of gameplay modifiers, and hundreds of perks, each new settlement feels as novel as the first and poses a different set of challenges to deal with. And that’s what you’re here for, Viceroy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtA1BAeeOAE

This is a thread to discuss the hot new Early Access roguelite city building sensation Against the Storm because a lot of us are playing it and we all got questions.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'll get the ball rolling; what's the best embarkment bonus and why? I'm still super early on but have been doing stone + a food type so I can at least make some bricks if I get hosed by starting with no clay around.

Edit: Will be adding helpful tips/posts to this reply as they come up.

CuddleCryptid posted:

A few tips for the thread that I'm sure most people already know but really helped me

- Warehouses are magical teleportation buildings and putting them down everywhere is a great use of gears.

- Wheat can be made in large amounts but it doesn't have as many uses as other things that can also be made into flour and beer, so go for plantations instead.

- Turning the lumbermills to face the forest speeds up wood collection quite a bit since the workers always drop off at the "front". Also make sure you set them to "avoid glades except marked".

- For recipes that accept jerkey as an ingredient it's more efficient to turn meat into jerkey and then use that for pies or whatever. This assumes you have an excess of wood.

- Kilns can effectively double your wood output by making coal, but not in all cases. A piece of coal instead of five wood in a recipie is a great deal, three coal instead of ten wood is barely breaking even.

- The stars on production actually mean something, it's not just speed it's also the amount of resources that go into a product, and it can be a very significant difference. Avoid using the crude workshop for planks and bricks as much as you can.

- Resolve level is binary, you're either a below zero and in trouble, above the line and collecting rep, or nothing. So don't be afraid to use the favor button to bump someone above a line.

- Same thing applies to Hostility. 99% hostility at level 1 is still Level 1. Don't be afraid to use multiple woodcutters and then just cut them off during storms when hostility starts to really matter.

- As far as building hostility goes one dangerous glade is as much as two regular glades, but also gives a lot more resources and space. Also make sure you check what glade events actually do because some of them are not that big of a deal. If you have no amber then the "destroy all stored amber" penalty doesn't actually matter.

- Homelessness isn't actually that big of a deal. By all means put houses up when you want to start gaining resolve but if you want to wait to put up specialized housing with refined goods rather than burning all your wood building six jack shacks right out the gate that's fine. This is assuming you meta unlocked the species housing already.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 19, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hello

Against The Storm rules and you should all play it, especially if you don't like late game stagnation and micro hell in many city builders and empire games

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AtS is pretty good as long as you chug through five hours or so of it being bad

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's never bad so that's not an issue.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just started the game last night and completed the first two tutorial areas.

I have no idea what's going on. It plopped me on a big hex map, said "choose a region and an embarkment bonus" with no real guidance.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Even if you don't typically like management games ATS has broader appeal then most and you should give it a try. Also its low key cute but in a somber way.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Its never bad and why would you play 5 hours of game you find bad???

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I have no idea what's going on. It plopped me on a big hex map, said "choose a region and an embarkment bonus" with no real guidance.

build cities

that's it, you've got it

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
And try to build them well. Before the queen gets too mad at you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

While the tutorials are incomplete, conveniently in ATS most stuff like that doesn’t matter until you understand what it does.

I mean, assuming you didn’t do something dumb like crank the difficulty without understanding the game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So the next update is adding rain engines and pipes in the game along with geysers. Seems neat. There was a dev stream showing these new mechanics here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was wondering why there were so many pipe decorations

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Those first few embarkments are definitely the worst part of the game as there's little to calibrate yourself on environment, bonus, techs you may be missing until some meta level ups combined with also not being calibrated on which difficulty to aim for. Its not bad at any rate but not especially helpful as you finish the tutorial and encounter a hurdle instead of a ramp and while you are asked how high you want the hurdle you're probably not going to choose the one that engages you at the right level until you've played at least 1 real map which will lock you in for a couple hours before you realize its too easy or hard.

Again its not bad so the solution is to just play.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

explosivo posted:

I'll get the ball rolling; what's the best embarkment bonus and why? I'm still super early on but have been doing stone + a food type so I can at least make some bricks if I get hosed by starting with no clay around.

That's what I did until I unlocked the ability to take a building blueprint. Unfortunately blueprints are so expensive you can't take stone and a blueprint, but I miss my starting stone paths.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

explosivo posted:

One of the camps (though it takes a while to access and get enough points for it), saving a pick is pretty great. Stone is good as mentioned

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I played the poo poo out of this a few months ago but wanted to take a break so I wouldn't burn out completely before the devs decide it's done. I've burned out on EA game before and always feel a little sad when the devs celebrate their 1.0 and I don't give a poo poo. The game is definitely in a great state already, though, so don't let that scare you off if you're interested!

My tip for new players is to really push your difficulty level. The difficulty curve between levels is actually quite smooth, and if you can beat one level there's a really good chance you can get to the next. I think the game really starts to click on Prestige 1 where you're required to earn more Reputation before winning. On the early difficulty levels you can win basically by just chasing the orders which can, at times, feel a little piecemeal. You make some coats cuz they tell you to but don't really use them much, you make some food, you make some houses, whatever. But when you need those extra few Reputation you've got to really work your settlement - it gives you more time to see some of your snowballing perks really start working, you're setting up longer production lines to produce luxuries for your different dudes. It's real good.

gently caress, I might have to play some more. There's been a few updates and they all look quite good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MerrMan posted:

gently caress, I might have to play some more. There's been a few updates and they all look quite good.

The update I mention is coming out tomorrow so you might prefer to hold off till then so you got even more new stuff to play with.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

hobbesmaster posted:

While the tutorials are incomplete, conveniently in ATS most stuff like that doesn’t matter until you understand what it does.

I mean, assuming you didn’t do something dumb like crank the difficulty without understanding the game.

Do I just build and reveal glades and try to use whatever resources I find? Will I continue to get goals from the Queen?

Is every level just maxing out the blue bar before the red one fills up?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snooze Cruise posted:

So the next update is adding rain engines and pipes in the game along with geysers. Seems neat. There was a dev stream showing these new mechanics here
Yeah I'm hype for pipes

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes. That's the goal of every map.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WhiteHowler posted:

Do I just build and reveal glades and try to use whatever resources I find? Will I continue to get goals from the Queen?

Maxing out the blue bar before the red one fills up is the core game mechanic yeah. The blue bar going up also gets you new blueprint pulls. You've a bunch of ways to make the blue bar go up:

Completing missions for the queen makes the blue bar go up (9 per map) .
Happy pops make the blue bar go up (technically uncapped but there's realistic limits to how happy you'll be able to get them)
Sending event rewards to the queen instead of to your city makes the blue bar go up (capped at however many events are on the map, but there's a lot of them).
Couple of random once offs which I'll not post because it's nice to be surprised.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MerrMan posted:

I played the poo poo out of this a few months ago but wanted to take a break so I wouldn't burn out completely before the devs decide it's done. I've burned out on EA game before and always feel a little sad when the devs celebrate their 1.0 and I don't give a poo poo. The game is definitely in a great state already, though, so don't let that scare you off if you're interested!

My tip for new players is to really push your difficulty level. The difficulty curve between levels is actually quite smooth, and if you can beat one level there's a really good chance you can get to the next. I think the game really starts to click on Prestige 1 where you're required to earn more Reputation before winning. On the early difficulty levels you can win basically by just chasing the orders which can, at times, feel a little piecemeal. You make some coats cuz they tell you to but don't really use them much, you make some food, you make some houses, whatever. But when you need those extra few Reputation you've got to really work your settlement - it gives you more time to see some of your snowballing perks really start working, you're setting up longer production lines to produce luxuries for your different dudes. It's real good.

I'd suggest dialing in Friday, there's an update tomorrow to add a new pipes & blight mechanic and they tend to be quick with hotfixes when needed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Good news, when you fill the blue bar the red also goes down too!

You want to open glades but not too quickly. Aside from the Dangerous glades (which aren't that dangerous so long as you don't get really unlucky) each glade adds to the hostility meter. Five dangerous glades/10 normal glades is a full level of that on its own and pulling them open willy nilly can cause issues if you don't have a lot of stuff to push back against the debuffs during storms

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its never bad and why would you play 5 hours of game you find bad???

Because the Management games thread kept banging on about how the random elements are Cool and Engaging and it turns out that they are so long as you aren't in the early levels where you either play on easy mode (slow and boring) or get your rear end kicked because the buildings that make sustainability possible don't get unlocked til later.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 18, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Did I miss the part of the tutorial where the game explained what the storms do?

I see there are debuffs when they're happening, but mousing over them didn't give tooltip information that made sense to me.

Edit: I'm playing on whatever the default difficulty is. Settler, I guess?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Did I miss the part of the tutorial where the game explained what the storms do?

I see there are debuffs when they're happening, but mousing over them didn't give tooltip information that made sense to me.

If you're playing on Settler then the storm probably isn't doing anything yet. Storm debuffs don't activate until a certain hostility level and at the low difficulties you can easily win the game without reaching that point.

Once you get to Veteran or so, though, they'll start coming into play more readily and you'll have to work around them. The debuff selection is random each game and you're told what they are at the start, although I'd have thought mousing over would tell you too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

On the bar at the top towards the right is where it'll show you what the storm is doing to you, mousing over each phase should give you more details. It shows you all of them but only certain ones may be active due to whatever your current hostility level is at.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

The tooltips should explain what's going on.
Depending on the difficulty, you have a number of positive effects, that are only active when the current season is Drizzle:

and then some negative effects, that are only active during the storm season:

You always have this one. It gives you -4 global resolve (your people get unhappier) per level of hostility. So since my hostility is 2 now, I will get

then there's other ones that are only active during the storm, AND when your hostility is higher than a certain level.
For this map, I got ones that are active with level 1,2,3 and 3, respectively.

For some of them, the only way to avoid them is staying below that hostility level, others have ways to completely neutralize the effect (usually with complex food, housing or services)

Hostility increases from a bunch of things, but the easiest factors you can influence are active woodcutters and the number of opened glades.
Only open more glades when you can handle the extra hostility. And also think about unassigning some or all woodcutters during the storm season if you have enough fuel to last until the storm is over.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 18, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing for storms early on is that woodcutters contribute heavily to your hostility level, so if you bump up a level you can temporarily fire woodcutters til it drops down to the next level and then hire them back on when the storm ends. The levels are discrete so if you can get to 99% you'ee fine

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

On the lower two difficulties you can be pretty reckless with hostility and still be ok, but it's good to know what contributes to it:

-Population
-Woodcutters working
-Opening glades
-Time
-Events

I think difficulty applies a multiplier to gained hostility? I'm not sure on that one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SettingSun posted:

On the lower two difficulties you can be pretty reckless with hostility and still be ok, but it's good to know what contributes to it:

-Population
-Woodcutters working
-Opening glades
-Time
-Events

I think difficulty applies a multiplier to gained hostility? I'm not sure on that one.

Time doesn't contribute to hostility at lower difficulty levels.

Impatience (which is mostly a factor of how long you've been playing the same map) decreases hostility. I'll sometimes hold off on turning in an order if the hostility decrease from impatience is significant. Impatience increases with time played (and a few special actions that specifically say they increase impatience) and decreases every time you gain reputation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do the different fuel types appease certain types of townsfolk when sacrificing? Quite often I'll have tons of coal and oil to burn but it doesn't change anybody's moods until I throw one tick of wood onto the fire.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

explosivo posted:

Do the different fuel types appease certain types of townsfolk when sacrificing? Quite often I'll have tons of coal and oil to burn but it doesn't change anybody's moods until I throw one tick of wood onto the fire.

Wood and coal decrease hostility (which equals increasing everyone's mood if you go down a level). Oil buffs production, bones speed up solving events.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have enough of a grasp that I can complete settlements on the woodland biome but the other ones mess me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The game is really balanced around max difficulty prestige 20. It's hella fun if you're into the initial 'make this city work' phase of city builders and not so much if you're into the 'watch my city purr along' phase. Once you get things established, you win the map and move to the next. Which I enjoy, but isn't for everyone.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Note, since it will be relevant tomorrow:
The game gets updates every two weeks. The next one is in less than 24 hours (it's always announced in the main menu).
If you have a settlement going when an update happens, the game will discard it, but still give you resources as if you finished it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tamba posted:

Wood and coal decrease hostility (which equals increasing everyone's mood if you go down a level). Oil buffs production, bones speed up solving events.

Oh poo poo, thanks. That would certainly explain it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

The game is really balanced around max difficulty prestige 20. It's hella fun if you're into the initial 'make this city work' phase of city builders and not so much if you're into the 'watch my city purr along' phase. Once you get things established, you win the map and move to the next. Which I enjoy, but isn't for everyone.

like a fraction of a percent finish p20

relatively few even beat viceroy

it's a cool fun game whatever your level of engagement with the difficulty tiers

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SettingSun posted:

-Population
-Woodcutters working
-Opening glades
-Time
-Events

You forgot:

-Not taking the armed merchant caravans cornerstone.

Hoooly poo poo -15 hostility for every 75 amber equivalent traded is insane. Especially if you luck out and get two or three stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do like this game but I am trying not to burn myself out on it by the time the actual release comes around.