Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I don't want to get into a long story about my situation or make this an E/N thread but I will summarize it best I can I am a disabled man living in a rural area of the US and I have met online and fallen in love with a man from Umuahia, Nigeria. Don't worry he is legit I assure you. We want to be together one day but I think it is very unlikely given our very limited resources. I am poor, disabled, and literally unable to travel (agoraphobia/PTSD) and he is a poor farmer. I cannot afford a lawyer but I know I will need to get one. I can't even afford the plane ticket to bring him here but I am willing to save money and raise the funds to pull all of this off. Are there any immigration lawyer goons out there that can give me some advice or anyone familiar with the process give me a starting point? I know this will take many many years to pull off even if it were to be successful but both I and my partner are willing to at least try. I know there is a K1 waiver for hardship and that would be the only route I could possibly pursue since we have never met in person (only video chat daily), but I have heard that the waiver is rarely granted. Are there any charity groups I could seek out? We are an LGBT couple would that help our situation given the harsh penalties in Nigeria for LGBT people? I recognize the absurdity of my situation I really do but I just need a glimmer of hope at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
I'm worried he's going to ask you to send him money for a plane ticket and then ghost you. Maybe before you ask "how do I get him to immigrate to the USA and marry me" about someone you met 2 months ago from online dating, you should consider a vacation to Nigeria and he can meet you. There are a lot of red flags here.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I'm worried he's going to ask you to send him money for a plane ticket and then ghost you. Maybe before you ask "how do I get him to immigrate to the USA and marry me" about someone you met 2 months ago from online dating, you should consider a vacation to Nigeria and he can meet you. There are a lot of red flags here.

Respectfully I'm looking for legal immigration advice, not relationship advice. I know the reputation of Nigeria and scams but again I assure you this is not the case. I am not a fool getting swindled here. Also, as I said in my initial post I am disabled and cannot take a vacation to Nigeria. I understand this is a major endeavor that will take many many years. I just need some sort of starting point here.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

LazyDivey posted:

Respectfully I'm looking for legal immigration advice, not relationship advice. I know the reputation of Nigeria and scams but again I assure you this is not the case.

if you want to go the legal emigration route you are going to have to assure a lot more people than just the rando goons you are asking for advice, proving the "legitimacy" of your relationship to prying authorities will become a major part of it.

in any case, i would start with the resources on this page: https://www.bisialimifoundation.org/contact/ i think these organizations will have much more helpful information for you and especially for your partner than anyone here.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I live in Canada and used to work in immigration. I 100% cannot speak to your system.

If I was giving info or advice to someone in your situation who lived in Canada I would tell them to go to their local legal clinic and see if the clinic is able to offer support in a situation like this. For example, they may have a handout for someone who wants to sponsor their spouse. If there are legal clinics in your state, I would start there. Regardless of whether or not you are able to access the legal clinic and if even if you are able to get some advice from them, I would still consult with a private bar immigration lawyer. Some provide free consultations and can give you an idea of cost of all this.

If you know now that you want to sponsor your partner, you should take steps to make that sponsorship as successful as possible. Sometimes, peoples’ circumstances work against them and they end up fighting an uphill battle. In these cases, there are things that partners can do to document their relationship that mitigate these challenges (for example, many people throw away phone cards or delete their chat history). Speaking to an immigration lawyer can help you to understand how you can overcome this stuff.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo this is a terrible idea and has 'Scam' flags so large and numerous attached to it that they could blot out the sun. I think I've spent more time vetting roommates in my past in person then you have your 'love' remotely.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I think I've spent more time vetting roommates in my past in person then you have your 'love' remotely.

how exactly do you know how much time op has or has not spent communicating with this person, or by what means?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

how exactly do you know how much time op has or has not spent communicating with this person, or by what means?

He says they haven't met in person in the OP and you can trace the start of this relationship back to a post in late Nov '22.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LazyDivey posted:

Don't worry he is legit I assure you.

Y'see, here's where it all crumbles for us reading this thread.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

LazyDivey posted:

I am not a fool getting swindled here.

Just quoting this for later in case we need a thread title change.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have some familiarity with immigration, so I'm just going to... set aside all the issues here and focus on that aspect.

As a general rule we usually try to find a way to avoid filing the K-1 and go straight to an I-130 (spouse petition); the K-1 takes ages to process, after which you still have to apply at the consulate and then arrive in the US and file for the green card. Because of the meeting requirement* it's often easier to just get married and then file the I-130 instead. Ideally if your partner can actually come to America in another status and then you get married here and file the I-130 and I-485 together so that he's in the US while all this is processing. You would want to consult with someone to ensure he isn't violating intent rules for how he arrives though.

* I understand that you are thinking of applying for the waiver for the in-person meeting so this is less obvious, but you should be thinking about what you will do if USCIS denies that waiver. The LGBT situation for Nigeria may give you enough leverage but it may not.

In order to sponsor him, you are going to have to demonstrate sufficient income or assets to support him in the US. if you are broke, this is going to be a significant hurdle and you'll need to figure out how to handle it. If he has assets those can be counted in his support; if not, you would need to have someone with more assets agree to be a co-sponsor. Sponsoring him (and co-sponsoring) is a serious commitment; you and whoever helps you are on the hook with the US government for it, even if you guys break up. Your obligation does not end until he becomes a citizen.

If you are frustrated by people's immediate reaction here, you should know that USCIS is going to be even more skeptical, and the few times I have had to deal with the US consulate in Nigeria they have been absolutely grueling about document verification and possible fraud. Does your partner have all his civil documents? Does he know what he needs to do to get a passport? Does he have any criminal history to consider?

You should try to find a non-profit that can offer you some advice. You are rural so unless you are lucky there may not be one near you, look for your closest metro area and see if there is something that will offer you a virtual consult. Immigration is federal so technically any organization around the country could give you some guidance, it doesn't have to be one in your area/state. All of them are going to be very wary of this situation.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I have some familiarity with immigration, so I'm just going to... set aside all the issues here and focus on that aspect.

As a general rule we usually try to find a way to avoid filing the K-1 and go straight to an I-130 (spouse petition); the K-1 takes ages to process, after which you still have to apply at the consulate and then arrive in the US and file for the green card. Because of the meeting requirement* it's often easier to just get married and then file the I-130 instead. Ideally if your partner can actually come to America in another status and then you get married here and file the I-130 and I-485 together so that he's in the US while all this is processing. You would want to consult with someone to ensure he isn't violating intent rules for how he arrives though.

* I understand that you are thinking of applying for the waiver for the in-person meeting so this is less obvious, but you should be thinking about what you will do if USCIS denies that waiver. The LGBT situation for Nigeria may give you enough leverage but it may not.

In order to sponsor him, you are going to have to demonstrate sufficient income or assets to support him in the US. if you are broke, this is going to be a significant hurdle and you'll need to figure out how to handle it. If he has assets those can be counted in his support; if not, you would need to have someone with more assets agree to be a co-sponsor. Sponsoring him (and co-sponsoring) is a serious commitment; you and whoever helps you are on the hook with the US government for it, even if you guys break up. Your obligation does not end until he becomes a citizen.

If you are frustrated by people's immediate reaction here, you should know that USCIS is going to be even more skeptical, and the few times I have had to deal with the US consulate in Nigeria they have been absolutely grueling about document verification and possible fraud. Does your partner have all his civil documents? Does he know what he needs to do to get a passport? Does he have any criminal history to consider?

You should try to find a non-profit that can offer you some advice. You are rural so unless you are lucky there may not be one near you, look for your closest metro area and see if there is something that will offer you a virtual consult. Immigration is federal so technically any organization around the country could give you some guidance, it doesn't have to be one in your area/state. All of them are going to be very wary of this situation.

Thank you for the actual immigration advice.

quote:

Does your partner have all his civil documents? Does he know what he needs to do to get a passport? Does he have any criminal history to consider?

I know he has a photo ID he's shown it to me and of course, he has a NIN. I think he mentioned his birth certificate being with his grandmother a few villages away so he will be needing to get that. What would be "another status" to get here? I have heard getting a travel visa is very difficult.

I understand people's trepidation I really do, but he has proved to me on numerous occasions he is truthful and trustworthy so please do not belittle me I'm not an idiot. I know where he lives, I have met his family, his mother, and his grandmother, I know where he is going to learn sewing right now. Yes, it may be an impossible situation and will take many many years if even possible but he has enriched my life for the better and he is in my heart so I wanted to start somewhere.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Go here (or send him here, whichever) and start looking through those documents. He will need to obtain a lot of them, so if there are ones that he doesn't have, he will need to figure out how to get them. He will not get through the process without the correct documents. You're going to have plenty of time so he should be using it to make sure he has everything he will need in advance. He's also going to have to complete a required medical exam (eventually). So he should figure out if he has vaccine or other medical records and get those in order.

If he remains outside the US, the process is going to be:

You file for the K-1 visa > he applies at the consulate > he enters on the visa > you get married within 90 days > he applies for residence.

All the waiting on this is on the front end, you're going to spend years before he can actually enter.

If he can enter the US in another status, like as a student or a visitor or something, then it just goes:

He gets a visa > he enters the US > you get married after 60-90 days > he applies for residence.

In this way, most of the waiting is after he is in the US and you are together. So its an improvement. BUT, he needs to be sure he navigates the rules of intent properly, so only do this with guidance from an attorney or other immigration professional. It might not be possible for him to enter at all except through the K1, that would depend on if he can qualify for any other temporary entry.

Please listen to your friends and family about concerns; I understand you think this guy is 100% legit and you don't think you're an idiot, but that's how lots of people feel before they realize they're getting taken. If you can, involve an attorney even for a consultation - if they warn you, pay attention, that's their job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Audition for 90 Day Fiancé