Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Each year, when the Baseball Hall of Fame announces the results of the latest round of BBWAA voting and Era Committee selections, there is naturally spirited discussion around the ones who got in, the ones who didn't, the ones who *should* get in, and the ones who can go ahead and pay twenty-some dollars for a ticket like the rest of us. Every person has their own philosophy around who exactly makes the cut for induction: Big Hall vs. Small Hall, Peak vs. Career, No DHs or Closers Ever vs. People Who Are Wrong, so on and so forth.

That's all well and good, and it's natural that the conversation would focus on people who were on the latest ballot or are coming up for eligibility soon. However, it can be useful to look back and evaluate what this whole process has built up so far. The Era Committee system was set up to catch worthy baseballers who haven't been inducted yet; let's take this opportunity to talk about bad baseballers who should never have been inducted, or admittedly good baseballers who were also incredibly lovely people and therefore shouldn't be celebrated as part of baseball's history. Hell, let's have a vote!

THE SETUP
  • Ballots: Similar to the actual Hall of Fame process, voting will be done via multiple-choice ballot.
  • Candidates: Every Hall of Fame inductee so far is on the ballot. Here's the list.
  • Votes: Vote for as many people as you like. Submit a blank ballot if you think that everyone who is already in the Hall should stay in (for the record I respect this, but do not understand it).
  • Deadline: The deadline for voting is the first pitch of 2023 spring training (currently scheduled for Friday, February 24th, 2023 at 12:05PM Pacific Time). I'll aim to have results tabulated and posted about a week or so after that.
  • Private Ballots: You can submit a private ballot to me via PM. Feel free to share all or part of your private ballot in the thread along with any commentary, but if you send me a private ballot, that's what I'll base my count on.
  • Public Ballots: If you can't send PMs, or don't care about your ballot being secret, or don't care about having any sort of suspense at all, you can post a public ballot in this thread and I'll tabulate it all the same. Just include a plain list of names you're voting for before or after any commentary so I don't have to go hunting for it.
  • Changing Ballots: If you sent in a private ballot and want to change it, send me a full replacement ballot via PM. If you posted a public ballot and want to change it, post a full replacement ballot in this thread. There are probably better ways for me to handle changes, but my free time is worth next to nothing! Obviously, any changes must also be made before the deadline noted above.
  • Private Ballots > Public Ballots: If you send me a private ballot via PM *and* post a public ballot in this thread, I'll only count the last private ballot you PMed me, even if you later posted something different in the thread.
  • Threshold: While ultimately nothing meaningful will happen regardless of how many votes anybody gets, and I'll be sharing the full voting results in this thread, let's consider anyone on at least 75% of ballots to be especially unwelcome in the Hall.

Play ball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Gonna gently caress with all of Frankie Frisch's buddies who got put into the Hall. And Tommy McCarthy for good measure.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Cap Anson is gonna fuckin' get it.

Edit: Also Bud Selig needs to be dragged to the Hall to be physically present and watch his poo poo be thrown out, and then be thrown out bodily himself.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 26, 2023

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Every single player to don a Yankees uniform, OP. Any executives too for that matter.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Bud Selig

mostly because of the tie All-Star game and resultant home field in the WS shenanigans even though he's guilty of worse

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Bane Ruth.

Edit: autocorrect got me on that one but I stand by it. gently caress you and gently caress him!!!!!!!!!!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

catfish hunter. fake name

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

question: can we vote for everyone as well?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

question: can we vote for everyone as well?

Sure, why not

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I will personally tear down Jack Morris's plaque and melt it into a crude but effective Dave Stieb memorial

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Cap Anson, Jack Morris, Bud Selig and Harold Baines not in the Hall? Many people are saying this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fast cars loose anus posted:

Bud Selig

mostly because of the tie All-Star game and resultant home field in the WS shenanigans even though he's guilty of worse

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Cap Anson, Jack Morris, Bud Selig and Harold Baines not in the Hall? Many people are saying this

Cap Anson
Jack Morris
Derek Jeter

All can gently caress right off

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress Jeter as a person and as DA CAPTAIN, NUMBAH TOO, but he is easily inner-circle on merit

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hell i'd probably vote out a couple of people really.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
If you want serious answers, you have to start with Rick Ferrell, the guy who got voted in by pure accident. After that, pretty much anyone on the Gashouse Gang Cardinals teams of the 30’s not named Dizzy Dean or Joe Medwick - Jim Bottomley, Rabbit Maranville, Chick Hague, Billy Southworth….

Honestly, almost every non-negro league Veterans Committee selection from the 70s can go too. It was all cronieism and favors for friends, so you can get rid of Hack Wilson, Harry Hooper, and Fred Limdstrok for starters.

Controversial pick - Jim Hunter. Great pitcher, not deserving. You can throw Jack Morris right in there too.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress Jeter as a person and as DA CAPTAIN, NUMBAH TOO, but he is easily inner-circle on merit

He's an all bat shortstop, no he doesn't have merit

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Paper Tiger posted:

Sure, why not

I'll choose that. this is my public vote

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Alrighty! With a whopping 12 ballots submitted, I'm sorry to say that no one reached the 9-vote threshold to be unofficially booted out. But we can still curse their names under our breath.

Here's the tally:
  • Bud Selig - 6 votes - 4 by name, 1 for being an executive, 1 blanket vote
  • Jack Morris - 5 votes - 4 by name, 1 blanket vote
  • Cap Anson - 4 votes - 3 by name, 1 blanket vote
  • Jim "Catfish" Hunter - 4 votes - 2 by name, 1 for being a Yankee, 1 blanket vote
  • Freddie Lindstrom, Chick Hafey, and Harold Baines - 3 votes each - 2 by name, 1 blanket vote
  • Charlie Comiskey - 3 votes - 1 by name, 1 for being an executive, 1 blanket vote
  • Babe Ruth, Phil Rizzuto, Rich "Goose" Gossage, Derek Jeter - 3 votes each - 1 by name, 1 for being a Yankee, 1 blanket vote
  • All Yankee executives (by my count that's Ed Barrow, George Weiss, Larry MacPhail, Lee MacPhail, and Jacob Ruppert) - 3 votes each - 1 for being an executive, 1 for being a Yankee, 1 blanket vote
  • Joe Torre - 3 votes - 1 for being an executive, 1 for being a Yankee, 1 blanket vote
  • Ray Schalk, Jim Bottomley, Ross Youngs, Bill Mazeroski, Rick Ferrell, Billy Southworth, George Kell, Lee Smith, Hack Wilson, Rabbit Maranville, Trevor Hoffman, Red Schoendienst, Rollie Fingers, Hoyt Wilhelm, Rube Marquard, Bruce Sutter, Jesse Haines, Harry Hooper - 2 votes each - 1 by name, 1 blanket vote
  • All other Yankees - 2 votes each - 1 for being a Yankee, 1 blanket vote
  • All other executives - 2 votes each - 1 for being an executive, 1 blanket vote
  • Cum Posey (no one voted for him specifically, but I wanted to highlight that there's a guy named Cum in the Baseball Hall of Fame) - 1 vote - 1 blanket vote
  • Everyone else - 1 vote each - 1 blanket vote

No big surprises considering who people were talking up here and elsewhere!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I did all that work for nothing?????? What the gently caress man

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Im putting my name in to be part of the "Kick them out of the Hall" era committees so I can eject some of these people tia

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my votes got 1/3 of the way there and that's all you can ask for. thanks very much for the fun exercise in sending a pm, which i love to do

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress I forgot Selig add him to votes

what a fucker

absolute profanity that he's in the same hall as Jackie Robinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress I forgot Selig add him to votes

what a fucker

absolute profanity that he's in the same hall as Jackie Robinson

I think we can let the racists stay in the hall if a cool hall of famer is seen spiking them in their updated bust. Cool hall of famers include (But ARE NOT LIMITED TO!!!) Rickey Henderson, Oscar Charleston, Hank Aaron, and Roberto Clemente.