Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t think anyone really knows. If U do, ELI5 (explain like I’m 5 :shobon:) please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Its when someone wins an argument by smashing your balls in with a hammer

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

thesis: two balls
antithesis: zero balls
synthesis: hammer time

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
It's the science of history

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you know how everywhere was ruled by kings and your job was to grow them corn all day, every day until everyone pretty much decided that was a stupid way to live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the dialectic which is a fancy way of saying two things was

1. everyones job was to grow corn for the king
2. everyone thought it was a stupid way to live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

these days the dialectic is that everyone goes to work to make money for absolute weirdo creeps like elon musk or jeff bezos, and a lot of people think thats a stupid way to live but not enough to overthrow that system yet

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

it mean stuff talk to you

speng31b
May 8, 2010

n2m what is dialectical materialism with you

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

these days the dialectic is that everyone goes to work to make money for absolute weirdo creeps like elon musk or jeff bezos, and a lot of people think thats a stupid way to live but not enough to overthrow that system yet

Ok thank you this is pretty good, but what about the materialism part … I know what it means I think but how do the two tie in

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

just started reading what is to be done by v.i. lenin

i'll let you know later

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-lDYPR2P8

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ok thank you this is pretty good, but what about the materialism part … I know what it means I think but how do the two tie in

i guess in this analogy the materialism part is that everyone needs corn to live so the conflict arises when people go hey why does that guy get all the corn i grow when my family is starving out here

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that is what people mean when they talk about contradictions of capitalism: everyone needs corn to live but society is set up in a way so some people get more corn than they could ever eat and others die from lack of corn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its really a pretty simple concept idk why people need to read and write a billion words about it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I don’t think anyone really knows. If U do, ELI5 (explain like I’m 5 :shobon:) please

dialectic means 'debate' but in a specific form - you got ur point (thesis), ur counterpoint (antithesis), and ur compromise (synthesis) at the end

materialism means has to do with the actual conditions on the ground, like if u got food or whatever, and not about religion or philosophy

dialectic materialism is the idea that all of history can be explained as a series of arguments (contradictions) within society about the stuff people have, or don't have, or who has them, or who has more, etc.

this is in contrast to idealism, which is the idea that those arguments are about non-material things, such as religions, or ideals, etc.

an idealist might say that the first crusade was about claiming Jerusalem from the non-christians in the name of jesus. a dialectic materialism will say that conflict was about trying to keep the byzantine empire the dominant power in the region (aka, keeping people paying money to the byzantines), where the seljuk empire has rapidly been gaining power and influence (aka, making people give them money instead)

Skyl3lazer has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Feb 5, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its like on the one hand you have a big dick and on the other hand you have a butt

loving is just the natural outcome

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

its like on the one hand you have a big dick and on the other hand you have a butt

like grafted directly onto the hands? like the hand eye monster in pans labyrinth

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

loving is just the natural outcome

thats a hosed uo thing to say to a 5 year old, but its a pretty good explanation

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

u got ur thesis then u got your antithesis smash em together bada bing bada boom u got a synthesis

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

that is what people mean when they talk about contradictions of capitalism: everyone needs corn to live but society is set up in a way so some people get more corn than they could ever eat and others die from lack of corn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

come to think of it it's probably illegal to explain dialectical materialism to a 5 year old in most states

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

dialect is how people speak, material is the first word of a song by Madonna, so it's when you adopt a fake british accent like madonna

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
nm

what’s da fuq with you op?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

di = die
elect = elect
tic = tick
mat = like a yoga mat
er = ear
ial = eels
ism = autism

hope this helps

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its when someone wins an argument by smashing your balls in with a hammer

that's cognitive behavioral therapy

speng31b
May 8, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

War and Pieces posted:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Dialectics are stored in the balls

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Al! posted:

i guess in this analogy the materialism part is that everyone needs corn to live so the conflict arises when people go hey why does that guy get all the corn i grow when my family is starving out here

The current compromise is means tested access to corn.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Excuse this attempt: https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/european-thought-and-culture-in-the-19th-century

Marx studied Hegel. So you have to go back to Hegel.

Hegel was trying to understand history, but all of it. (Before French Revolution people just had personal history, or national history)

Hegel said that things go through a process:
First you have an idea. Then you have the anti-idea.

Then the idea and anti Idea combine into a thing called the synthesis.

A historical example is, having the various enlightenment ideas and events, then countered by the various Romantics thoughts and ideas.
Then they are combined and people move toward understanding a meaning, or sort of ending/goal.

There is this idea that history is moving toward something. And has a meaning. Hegel a label used is "the spirit."
-

Marx is a strict materialist, so if you ask to explain how history happened, he would say, they are fights over resources, and trying to keep your body alive.

So you take Hegel's frame work of stuff happening. The end goal is Communism, the utopia end goal.
Everything has a meaning or reason and the end of it is communism.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
dialectical materialism is the dialectic that exists with regards to material

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thesis: Boss makes a dollar
Antithesis: I make a dime
Synthesis: I poop on company time

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

More like dia-lick deez NUTS

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

Badactura posted:

It's the science of history

maybe if it was the science of herstory it would be worth a drat

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's harder and spikier version of lectical materialism

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
it’s not my job to educate you on wat da fuq dialectical materialism is.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

thesis: the kings have a bunch of stuff and the peasants basically have none
antithesis: the peasants should just kill the kings and then everyone will have stuff
synthesis: now the kings are dead and the peasants have more stuff, but there’s a new class of people who own most of the stuff

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Oglethorpe posted:

just started reading what is to be done by v.i. lenin

i'll let you know later

Same

So far my understanding is that dialectical materialism is thoroughly detailing how extremely wrong your political opponents are about everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

it's unfortunate that you have to be literate to learn about dialectical materialism :shrug: