Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hand Knit posted:

Anybody have big opening day plans?

Going to the Cubs game with Poque :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hand Knit posted:

Took the day off of work before realizing White Sox/Astros is a night game. Oh well!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

bawfuls posted:

Greinke is 100% a blank-hat guy

His HoF speech is gonna be appointment television

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Bluejeans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_eHmzFIp1E&t=167s

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I hope he just says ‘Thanks’ and walks away.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I'm going to get high, eat korean fried chicken, and watch the least exciting Dodgers team since the McCourt era

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I hope it's verbatim his Chipotle guac story

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hand Knit posted:

Probably just taking it off so I can watch the Cubs without constantly getting hassled by work since the game starts at 11AM my time. Weekday Wrigley games baybeeeeee

Thanks to the new schedule the Cubs are in Oakland in April so I'll get to see them live sooner rather than later.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I will be listening to the first inning or two of the Cubs game in my car and then taking an edible and watching the rest of the game at like 8:00pm.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 29, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Look at this guy who thinks Greinke would show up to the Hall of Fame instead of riding go carts or playing pickleball

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

The Athletic ran interviews with a bunch of folks aeound the league about the Billion Dollar Shortstop Class:

Note that minority ownership partner is code for statusobsessed dipshit with more money than sense, so there's definitely puffery here

Red Sox, Jays, Yankees, Twins, Tigers, White Soxish, Astros, Angels, Rangers, Mets, Nationals, Phillies, Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Padres all spend (even if it should be more).

just lol at there only being 5 or 6 teams willing to throw money around, that guy is flat out a liar.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Going to the Cubs game with Poque :3:

I just remembered that the last post of the previous page started with "po" so I had to go back and double check.

Popete posted:

Watching baseball on my second monitor well I WFH all day

The modern American dream.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hand Knit posted:

I'm waffling on whether I should go to the game or not. And if I don't go to the game, whether I just spend the afternoon at Nisei drinking handshakes.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
it’s that time of year again https://twitter.com/mlblife/status/1641141161887780864?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does this sandwich have a positive bWAR

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Red Sox, Jays, Yankees, Twins, Tigers, White Soxish, Astros, Angels, Rangers, Mets, Nationals, Phillies, Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Padres all spend (even if it should be more).

just lol at there only being 5 or 6 teams willing to throw money around, that guy is flat out a liar.
Only 5-7 of those teams are over the colluded salary cap luxury tax threshold this year, which is what the owners are whining about.

From the owner perspective, the luxury tax isn't a mechanism for redistribution, it is the salary number they're all agreeing not to exceed wink wink nudge nudge, and when teams go over it they are breaking the unofficial agreement.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 29, 2023

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

davecrazy posted:

I gotta do a work meet and greet at Yankee stadium at one of the twins games. Are the Jim Bean suites cool?

I had Beam Suite tickets to a game a few years ago and I liked it. The views from the seats are obviously really good, and the suite is nothing crazy in terms of amenities, but it's convenient for the shorter lines for drinks and restrooms etc. I think they even had free popcorn but it's possible that changed after COVID.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

quote:

In the big inning, God created Heaven on Earth. And it was without form, and void. God separated the dirt from the grass. He called the grass Outfield and the dirt He called Infield. God made the Infield a 90-foot square and the Outfield not less than 400 feet to center and 320 feet down the lines. He declared this Fair Territory. All other territory, God then declared, was Foul.

And God divided the players into two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, to play The Game on His field. God called some of these players Pitchers and some of them Hitters. He placed a Pitcher precisely 60 feet 6 inches from a Hitter. Then God commanded that it’s one, two, three strikes you’re out at the ol’ Ballgame.

And God granted jurisdiction of The Game to lesser Gods, whom He called Umpires. God said the Umpires are infallible, blessed with Heavenly authority, whose judgment is not to be questioned under penalty of expulsion from The Game. And God looked at his creation and He was pleased. Then God created the Infield Fly Rule to confuse nonbelievers.

And God said, Let there be light beer, and there was. And, God said, let there be peanuts and hot dogs and overpriced souvenirs and let there be frosty chocolate malts with little wooden spoons that you can buy nowhere else except at this Heaven, which God called a Ballpark, and there was. God looked at His creation and it was good.

And the Lord God formed, from the dust, a collection of elite players in His own image. The Lord God then breathed the breath of life into His creation. God called this creation the National League.

And God said, It is not good for the National League to be alone. The Lord God shall make it a mate. And thus, while the National League slept, God took several of its top players and created the American League.

And God blessed The Game, saying, Be fruitful and multiply. Put teams in every city with deserving fans, God added, even if this occurs at the expense of starting-pitching depth.

From time to time, God understood, The Game would be corrupted by the Serpent. The Serpent was more cunning than any other beast and he would take many wicked forms: the Black Sox, segregation, the Designated Hitter, the Reserve Clause, dead balls, juiced balls, spitballs, corked bats, George Steinbrenner, AstroTurf, the 1981 strike, collusion, lockouts, Pete Rose, the 1994 strike, greenies, cocaine, HGH, Andro, steroids, $20 parking, corporate mallparks, Scott Boras, Donald Fehr, and Bud Selig.

But, God said, the goodness in The Game shall always prevail. As needed, the Lord shall bestow upon The Game a Savior. And the Savior, like the Serpent, can take many forms. The Savior shall remind Fans how blessed The Game truly is. The Savior shall be called by many names, including Cy, Matty, Honus, Big Train, the Babe, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Lou Gehrig, Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson, Buck O’Neil, Hank Greenberg, Red Barber, Harry Carey, Vin Scully, Jack Buck, Satchel Paige, Bill Veeck, Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Hammerin’ Hank, Cool Papa, Dizzy, Lefty, Whitey, Stan the Man, Big Klu, the Say Hey Kid, Campy, Duke, the Mick, the Splendid Splinter, the Gas House Gang, the Big Red Machine, the drat Yankees, Pudge Fisk, Pudge Rodriguez, Yaz, Pops, the Wizard of Oz, Fernando, George Brett, Moonlight Graham, Roy Hobbs, Wild Thing Vaughn, Bingo Long, the Ryan Express, Donnie Baseball, Rickey, Eck, the Big Unit, the Cactus League, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Camden Yards, Rotisserie Drafts, Web Gems, Derek Jeter, Dontrelle Willis, Vlad Guerrero, and, from the Far East, Ichiro. And, God guaranteed, there are many more to come.

God looked upon His creation and He was very pleased. And God spoke, yelling, PLAY BALL!

We need to add some serpents and saviors.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

secular woods sex posted:

We need to add some serpents and saviors.

We can start by moving The DH to the saviors if we want it to be accurate.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

it snowed in chicago today, and tomorrow it'll be in the 50s. if that's not proof of a benevolent god i don't care because you're wrong

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

it snowed in chicago today, and tomorrow it'll be in the 50s.

It did??

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

It did??

Lil baby flurries when I left for work this morning.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Popete posted:

It did??

It snowed a pretty substantial looking amount and pretty much immediately melted. No accumulation. Starting tomorrow is Chicagoland's Liar's Spring.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pitch clock shaved 26 minutes off MLB spring training games

No difference just more commercial hehhuh

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1641152482297655296?s=20

lmao what a shithead

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports on new ballpark food:

quote:

The Cleanup Burger. Four grilled beef patties topped with hash browns, hickory-smoked bacon, cheese and a sunny side up egg, sandwiched between two Belgian waffles topped with maple syrup. Available at the 1871 Grille near section 113.

The Submarine Sandwich. Built for one or as a 3-foot-long sandwich that feeds up to eight people, the Submarine Sandwich sees house-smoked, carved-to-order turkey breast topped with Red Dragon cheddar sauce, bacon, a fried green tomato, butter lettuce and avocado crema. Available at the Carvery near section 112.

Georgia BLT. Chow down on a sandwich with bolonga, butter lettuce, tomato, pimento cheese and garlic mayo on a brioche bun. Available at the 1871 Grille near section 141.

The Triple Play. A play on the Caribbean staple papas rellenas, the Triple Play features a potato stuffed with chicken then fried. Available at the section 313 market and section 343 market.

The ‘Douille Dog – Andouille sausage topped with beef chili, onion and cheddar cheese. Available at the section 313 market.

The Closer – A beef hot dog wrapped in mozzarella-whipped potatoes, then fried and served with spicy mayo. Available at the section 343 market.

Totally would on the Cleanup Burger. The Closer, too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

How much could this possibly cost lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This implies there's one more team that broadcasts away games remotely someone tell me which one it is.

I will assume the Pirates until I am corrected.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

This implies there's one more team that broadcasts away games remotely someone tell me which one it is.

Is Uecker still broadcasting? Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't traveling simply due to his age.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao what is this even saving, like $10-$20K annual on hotel accommodations for the radio guys?

Ohtani is fuckin' gonezo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

according to the replies its Toronto

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Sydin posted:

lmao what is this even saving, like $10-$20K annual on hotel accommodations for the radio guys?

Ohtani is fuckin' gonezo

Baseball’s Chargers. Don’t let the flashy high ticket guys distract you from how cheaply everything is run. Although no one has punctured a players lung during a routine procedure yet

And unlike the Spanoses Arte Moreno has money!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

according to the replies its Toronto

this is probably the boringest result and it makes me sad

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/AthleticsPR/status/1641172229500317696

is that good for the Phillies

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Oakland traded Pache to Philly for someone called Billy Sullivan

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Guess what’s tomorrow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

The Angels will now air half of their games on Spanish radio KWKW, the team said. The team’s new official broadcaster is Rolando Gonzalez, an employee of the station.

The Athletic reported in January about the Angels neglecting their Spanish-language broadcasts. Longtime broadcaster Jose Tolentino said he was receiving about $350 per game on a freelance basis to broadcast games for KWKW. The number of games aired was lowered significantly in the last several years, and Tolentino said he was boxed out of his role without a clear notification.

The Angels had also removed the Spanish broadcasters from their radio booth before the 2013 season. Games were being called from a sound booth adjacent to Angel Stadium, the KWKW studio in Los Angeles and sometimes from Tolentino’s home. Neither the Angels nor KWKW would say how many games were aired over the last couple of years.

The Angels did offer an in-stadium booth behind home plate to KWKW for 2023, according to a source with knowledge. KWKW declined. It is unclear why and it is not known where Gonzalez will do his play-by-play.

Imagine having a baseball team in SoCal and gutting your Spanish broadcast because you don't want to pay a guy $350 per game. Absolute loving clown shoes org.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Pache is maybe the best defensive outfielder in baseball and still can’t hit enough to hang even with the A’s

maybe if you can afford to keep a roster spot for a pinch runner/defensive replacement

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports on new ballpark food:

Totally would on the Cleanup Burger. The Closer, too.
I would go for that stuffed potato or the andouille dog.

And good luck to Pache but he is just not going to hit enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve never heard of those people so probably not