Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

EricBauman posted:

european govts acting strongly against big american corps sends the wrong message to their own big domestic corps and citizens: govt is more powerful than capital.
if you show the world that you know that is true, your own people will also ask you to act against polluting industries, and your benefactors in business will stop supporting your party with big donations and influence

fundamentally, most european govts dont believe in the concept of govt anymore, so they wont do anything about anything. govt is a mechanism for the privatization of those few things that somehow werent privatized yet

‘the government is to protect the wealthy from the poor- don’t skimp on the payments’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah this is how i use it. it’s p useful in this case but as we’ve said a bajillion times itt glorified autocomplete isn’t going to get you tech bublé valuations

the problem isn't the hallucinations, the problem is the 50% cost of good sold. that's mcdonalds margins, not normal software margins. so even if it consolidates and market gets cornered, it gets to be as big as mcdonalds market cap (200 billion) not a tech major market cap (1 trillion, 2 trillion). and additionally, there's basically no secret sauce, the secret was mere quantity of everything

the only true guaranteed winner is rich sutton, proving that the bitter lesson remains quite bitter

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
government chat: no. governments everywhere, but especially in europe and east asia, are re-awakening to their original first purpose. it's just that the original first purpose is war

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

poty posted:

ive seen the funny tweet with how many ns in mayonnaise but it works for me

https://chat.openai.com/share/b0a981ec-9407-4290-9921-b721a239d28d

:shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i use it to fluff up replies to customers and vendors so i seem like less of a terse rear end in a top hat

is seeming like a lazy rear end in a top hat better?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the problem isn't the hallucinations, the problem is the 50% cost of good sold. that's mcdonalds margins, not normal software margins. so even if it consolidates and market gets cornered, it gets to be as big as mcdonalds market cap (200 billion) not a tech major market cap (1 trillion, 2 trillion). and additionally, there's basically no secret sauce, the secret was mere quantity of everything

the only true guaranteed winner is rich sutton, proving that the bitter lesson remains quite bitter

yeah that’s what is ultimately so tragic about all of this. it’s all being torn down for margins that may not even be realized. we’ve all known that the internet at large was vulnerable to a tragedy of the commons like this and have talked about it endlessly itt. it doesn’t take any of the sting away to watch it finally happen though

it bothers me because i know the tech lords with the power and influence to have done something about this absolutely saw this coming too. but they had to mash that betray button to make a quick buck

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i can fully understand why billionaires don't give a poo poo about the user experience of websites like tumblr or imgur or reddit or whatever; it's obvious that there is no intersection between users and owners for those companies

i did, however, quietly assume that even rich people used google on a regular enough basis to not want it completely hosed up, but perhaps that was simply a flawed assumption

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
$375 million spent to build mobile robot pizza factories that could not actually make pizzas

lmao

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1664985686900895750

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i can fully understand why billionaires don't give a poo poo about the user experience of websites like tumblr or imgur or reddit or whatever; it's obvious that there is no intersection between users and owners for those companies

i did, however, quietly assume that even rich people used google on a regular enough basis to not want it completely hosed up, but perhaps that was simply a flawed assumption

the billionaires dont give a poo poo either way, but it takes an executive to really gently caress up a product. one of them gets a Really Good Idea™, demands it be implemented, and then shrugs when it fucks up the product because the most important thing was they had The Idea and they implemented The Idea

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Internet Janitor posted:

the peeps who successfully ran the red queen's race in like, 2005 are not only retired because they're rich as gently caress now, they can't run this new version of the red queen's race because it's harder and the stuff goog uses nowadays is so much harder to understand. so the peeps who are currently at google are not only worse at it but the race is harder now too

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 4, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poty posted:

ive seen the funny tweet with how many ns in mayonnaise but it works for me

yeah working great here

e: lmao

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 4, 2023

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

currently my favorite genre of llm shibboleth is to simply ask "should i switch doors?"

openai's training set probably has millions of pages of redditors arguing about the monty hall problem, so even the vaguest whiff of it is enough to funnel you into the overfit logic puzzle vortex

someday soon you can expect many phrases loosely adjacent to a #brand to work the same way

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

robot, how could I go about living más?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

currently my favorite genre of llm shibboleth is to simply ask "should i switch doors?"

openai's training set probably has millions of pages of redditors arguing about the monty hall problem, so even the vaguest whiff of it is enough to funnel you into the overfit logic puzzle vortex

someday soon you can expect many phrases loosely adjacent to a #brand to work the same way
yeah whether or not merely hinting tangentially at a frequently argued topic causes the entity you are talking with to immediately launch into a massive derail about that topic sounds like a great way to distinguish ai chatbots from humans who post on the internet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

yeah whether or not merely hinting tangentially at a frequently argued topic causes the entity you are talking with to immediately launch into a massive derail about that topic sounds like a great way to distinguish ai chatbots from humans who post on the internet

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
something awful remains immune. metafilter remains immune. bad news about the entire rest of the internet

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

hahah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

robot, how could I go about living más?

quote:

"Live más" is a slogan used by the fast-food chain Taco Bell, which roughly translates to "live more" in Spanish. It's a catchy phrase that encourages people to embrace a sense of adventure, spontaneity, and enjoyment in their lives. While it may have originated as a marketing slogan, the concept of living más can be applied to anyone's life, regardless of their affinity for fast food.

Remember, living más is subjective and personal. It's about finding what brings you joy, fulfillment, and a sense of adventure in your own life.

e: it's now in this state where I can just give it a fast food slogan and it will repeat this list of ways to embrace that philosophy in your daily life but slightly tweaked to whatever one I just gave it, great

quote:

Remember, "we have the meats" is a brand-specific slogan, but it can also remind us of the importance of variety, balance, and mindful consumption in our diet choices. It's crucial to make choices that align with our individual dietary preferences, nutritional needs, and environmental considerations.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 4, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ask it if it would hit a double cheeseburger

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Silver Alicorn posted:

In May 2022, Chicken Soup for the Soul announced its intention to acquire Redbox for $375 million.[4]

huh.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

In May 2022, Chicken Soup for the Soul announced its intention to acquire Redbox for $375 million.[4]
What

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

ask it if it would hit a double cheeseburger

it refused to answer

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

is seeming like a lazy rear end in a top hat better?

being a lazy rear end in a top hat who seems friendly certainly is

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

poty posted:

answer that is most likely correct and very quick

poty posted:

most likely correct and very quick

poty posted:

most likely correct

poty posted:

most likely

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it’s not really “most likely correct”, just “most likely to have appeared in training”. so all sorts of urban legends are likely buried in the thing.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Internet Janitor posted:

Yep there is definitely weird training overfit + namespace collision shenanigans happening. The art AIs are also terrible at this. They struggle to do anything in the art style of e.g. Van Gogh despite being trained on all his works. They can only reproduce variations on Starry Night because of extreme over fitting.

I do lol at Reddit struggling to extract any value out of the platform they own. I’m sure all the user posts for AI training were scrapped without their permission and most actual advertising on Reddit is by bought accounts, fake accounts, etc. pretending to be regular users who just love to post how much they love BRAND (basically native advertising except Reddit doesn’t get paid). The actual paid ads seem very low value for both Reddit and for the ad purchaser.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
its only a matter of time before it too gets bastardized and twisted by ad companies into complete uselessness

edit: chatgpt et al

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
for me Google really started to die when they got rid of the discussions search button. I don’t think a lot of people knew about this and maybe that’s why they axed it, but gently caress if it wasn’t easily the most useful feature in Google, immediately taking you to forums/discussion boards and giving you answers from real people. there’s an extension that tries to recreate it and it works ok, but nothing like the genuine article of yore. I was absolutely furious when they removed it and to be honest it still makes me pretty upset :argh:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
taking reader (and, before that, igoogle) out back and shooting them in the head was the dealbreaker for me

rss feeds are good but theyre slightly harder to sell ads against than search results so :rip: reader

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

to be slightly fair to the multibillionaire international corporation (lol) there's also not a huge amount they can do to fight SEO since whatever the algorithm is people will try to optimize for it. that said they sure don't have to lean into it and adwords is the primary driver of the death of searchability

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

like all profit seeking once all the easy ideas are depleted and your user base contented the only way to keep profits from falling is to insert inefficiencies into your processes that separate users from their time and dollars

also I’m 100% convinced that the primary use-cases for llms in 5 years will be drafting polite email form letters, political speeches, and college essays

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
itll also scoop up the bottom X% of copywriting, tech writing, howto videos, ad jingles and so forth. Basically any low-priority creative or semi-creative thing that wont piss people off real badly if its wrong will be entirely automated is my guess for 5 years of progress for llms and whatever poo poo like stable diffusion is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it means erudition is worthless for proving you're rich (or got a rich education) now, sorta like gigantic brocades and baroquely ornamented robes got useless for proving you're rich after the spinners got mechanized and cloth became cheap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's always blood diamonds and child prostitutes

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

dall-e and friends already seem to have loving annihilated the "hero illustration for newspaper and magazine articles" space, presumably impacting both stock photo companies and illustrators

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it means erudition is worthless for proving you're rich (or got a rich education) now, sorta like gigantic brocades and baroquely ornamented robes got useless for proving you're rich after the spinners got mechanized and cloth became cheap

casual felonies in public to prove you're rich enough to be above the law.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

FMguru posted:

taking reader (and, before that, igoogle) out back and shooting them in the head was the dealbreaker for me

rss feeds are good but theyre slightly harder to sell ads against than search results so :rip: reader

i still miss igoogle

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

if we're counting like proper grammar and business english as erudition ok i guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

‘the government is to protect the wealthy from the poor- don’t skimp on the payments’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

thats what is meant by "dictatorship of the bourgeoisie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah let's not confuse business-english with actual erudition, actual erudition in any meaningful way is in painfully short supply in the audience that business-english formalities are expected in, and isn't really what they're looking for. what they're looking for is the ability to perform the appropriate class-signifying behaviors, and a machine that churns out an infinite volume of vaguely plausible text that has the texture and appearance of a cover letter or a business email is a much better approximation of that than it is for erudition in a general sense lmao