Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shame Boy posted:

all these guys are clearly using teh internet

see i’d draw the exact opposite conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this is how we say hello in america

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL15eTRcAsg

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

okay you can say "good to see you" if its been a really long while

that's fine if there's no burden of reciprocation, one can just acknowledge it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

raminasi posted:

see i’d draw the exact opposite conclusion

i was referencing an old meme buddy, don't worry about it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

re: etiquette, y'all ever met a cranky old person who gets mad if you respond to "thank you" with "no problem" cuz I have and it was really funny

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i worked for an italian guy like that, which is hilarious given how many romance languages use a more or less direct translation of "no problem" for thank you

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 20, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

i want to go back to this for a sec and ask if you're like literally visually impaired or something

now that we got sleep, i think the difference we had was that i was talkin both sets of teeth, like in the original guys grimace smile, and you all are talkin about any teeth at all

lower teeth. and not historically, just the preponderance of that weird grimace smile. just as weird hangups about orthodontics are not uniquely american in quality but uniquely american in quantity

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 20, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shame Boy posted:

re: etiquette, y'all ever met a cranky old person who gets mad if you respond to "thank you" with "no problem" cuz I have and it was really funny

I crossed a street in Canada once and a lady on the side walk was real mad I didn’t thank the near by car for letting me cross. Some people are just cranky

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

thanking people in languages that you suspect they don't speak is a powerful technique or could backfire completely

mystes
May 31, 2006

ADINSX posted:

I crossed a street in Canada once and a lady on the side walk was real mad I didn’t thank the near by car for letting me cross. Some people are just cranky
gently caress that cars have to let you cross, I hope you punched that lady

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I hate that fuckin neurotypical script bullshit. it took me quite a long time before I understood that it was a nicety and people weren’t expecting a real response. it just feels wrong to ask a question or be asked a question and not respond

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldAlias posted:

I hate that fuckin neurotypical script bullshit. it took me quite a long time before I understood that it was a nicety and people weren’t expecting a real response. it just feels wrong to ask a question or be asked a question and not respond
You mean when you're asked "how are you"? I always just say "fine" but sometimes people get annoyed at that too

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i usually go with "surviving"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah in that instance I meant the ‘how are you’ non-question, but there are many instances where people default to a script and then get mad at you if you deviate from whatever script they’re expecting, and I am not always aware of there even being a script

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

I guess that's fine if you're talking to a coworker you can commiserate with or something but the thing I find obnoxious is when people seem to feel like they're being insulted if they just receive a perfunctory response, but they also clearly don't want the answer to be that I'm not doing great or to be given actual detailed information about how I'm doing so I'm honestly not sure what type of answer they want.

I guess maybe they just want me to say "fantastic" and sound like I mean it but, yeah, that's not happening

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 20, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

git apologist posted:

i mean bob dobbs is definitely wrong but all these images could be threat displays that you are recontextualising anachronistically

i mean the title of the painting is "The Laughing Violinist" but maybe sure

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
if i'm too ornery to just throw out a "fine and you?" i usually try to defuse a "how are you?" with "do you want an honest answer?"

most of the time people will just laugh, say "fair enough" and move on. sometimes they will say "i guess not" and sometimes they will say "yes of course" to which i lie about being fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OldAlias posted:

ehh, in some cases the non-verbal ques provide feedback so you can know how they're actually doing and that gives you a feel for how to approach the interaction. if you truly have issues picking up on that stuff i can understand why it feels tedious, but its not entirely nonsense.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 20, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Internet Janitor posted:

"not dead yet" is my go-to

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Dr. Kelso: Well, sweetheart, you're here early.

Elliot: Yeah, well, you know I didn't have any plans last night, so I went to bed at eight and then I woke up at four. And then I realized that the sunrise just looks beautiful through the trees, and that my neighbor gets his paper in the nude... and that he needs to lose like 900 pounds.

Dr. Kelso: In the future, the appropriate response is, "Yes, I am here early" - it's called 'small talk', not 'my depressing life in thirty seconds'.

Elliot: I am not depressed, sir. In fact, nothing is gonna get me down today!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

dioxazine posted:

looks like the SA staff is working on trying to mitigate the impact, at least

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290

not knocking the sa crew at all because it's a big lift to address and they've known about this forever but lol @ anybody who didn't see this coming from miles away

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Internet Janitor posted:

"i'm here"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PIZZA.BAT posted:

not knocking the sa crew at all because it's a big lift to address and they've known about this forever but lol @ anybody who didn't see this coming from miles away

Astral posted in that thread that they were hoping to get attachments v2 up and running before this happened but welp.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

now that we got sleep, i think the difference we had was that i was talkin both sets of teeth, like in the original guys grimace smile, and you all are talkin about any teeth at all

lower teeth. and not historically, just the preponderance of that weird grimace smile. just as weird hangups about orthodontics are not uniquely american in quality but uniquely american in quantity

:yokotaro:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was wondering how long it would take before the inevitable fuckup and replace

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Ed Zitron's new newsletter is out and it's a banger of a read.

https://ez.substack.com/p/fire-mark-zuckerberg

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im not gonna read your zine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

armpit_enjoyer posted:

good stuff (as usual)

here is a nice list of doa facebook products, almost none of which id ever heard of

quote:

In 2014 they launched an instant messaging app called Slingshot to compete with Snapchat, which they killed several years later, along with their “Rooms” app. The “Moves” app they acquired in 2014? 2015’s “Hello” app? “TBH,” the “anonymous teen compliment app” they acquired in 2017? All are dead due to “low usage.”

Facebook’s 2020 Gaming App that they said would rival Twitch? Dead. Hobbi, their app for “documenting personal projects?” Dead in less than 6 months. Campus, Facebook’s college-student-focused app? Dead in two years. Live-streamed shopping events? Facebook’s live-shopping feature? Dead. Instant articles, a product for publishers to publish directly on Facebook that attracted Buzzfeed, The New York Times and National Geographic? Dead. Facebook’s “Personal Assistant” M? Dead. Groups app? Dead. Notify? Dead. Facebook Lite, their app for low-speed and low-spec phones? Dead.

Facebook also had two other Snapchat clones that I had never heard of before today — Poke and LifeStage — both of which are dead. Up until today, I had also forgotten about the HTC First — the Facebook phone — and you will be unsurprised to learn that it is dead.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i wonder who is a worse ceo, zuck or musk

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

musk is absolutely a worse ceo

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i bet musk doesn't even like sweet baby ray's bbq sauce

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
isn't it literally impossible to fire zuckerberg thanks to their stock setup

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sure is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

isn't it literally impossible to fire zuckerberg thanks to their stock setup

he’ll basically have to be shamed into giving up control of facebook, which is a tall order given that he doesn’t experience emotions like us simple hu-mons

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

anyway rest in peace buzzfeed news

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

armpit_enjoyer posted:

:drat:

This dude absolutely roasts Zuck. Good read.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AlbertFlasher posted:

:drat:

This dude absolutely roasts Zuck. Good read.

he’s been on one lately

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

good stuff (as usual)

here is a nice list of doa facebook products, almost none of which id ever heard of

oh sure smart guy :rolleyes: of course he makes no mentions of facebook's SUCCESSFUL products

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

eddie z is good though in sad he no longer does his self flagallating ces pilgrimage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FMguru posted:

good stuff (as usual)

lmao at "anonymous teen compliment app"