Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

ynohtna posted:

hail

5atan(x)

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

rotor posted:

posting on Lucky Page 888

i didn't quite make it, ah well :cry:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grace Baiting posted:

i didn't quite make it, ah well :cry:

too l8 for 888

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Zamujasa posted:

too l8 for 888

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
you would think duckduckgo would adopt kagi's filtering poo poo, given that they're the one search outfit that seems to do much innovating nowadays, since search is their core (and essentially only) product

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

you would think duckduckgo would adopt kagi's filtering poo poo, given that they're the one search outfit that seems to do much innovating nowadays, since search is their core (and essentially only) product

i mean, how hard can it be. what a bunch of clowns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

git apologist posted:

i mean, how hard can it be. what a bunch of clowns

monitor on etc

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
ive finally figured out what bothers me about mrbeasts thumbnail face

it looks like its the result of an ai faceswap

the dead eyes, the fake expression, the cleaned up skin tone

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

w00tmonger posted:

Is there a non-dogshit search engine nowadays? Getting fed up with google

There is kagi and marginalia which are uh better sometimes
There is also searchengine.party which can help you find other ones you like.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

reject modernity
return to alta vista

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Internet Old One posted:

There is kagi and marginalia which are uh better sometimes
There is also searchengine.party which can help you find other ones you like.

metacrawler's back baby

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

reject modernity
return to alta vista

i went to altavista.com because of this post, and that of course forwarded me to search.yahoo.com

and the results for a few queries didn't seem any worse than google's

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I feel like the trend in general is for internet nerds to wall themselves back off from the general mainstream internet. For me right now this has been mostly a retreat into dead gay websites that normies barely heard of once like 10 years ago.

But the fediverse and other self hosted trash shows a lot of promise, Searx will be good if people start developing plugins and stuff but unfortunately it seems like the world's spare dork capacity is all directed to corny open source projects to pad out githubs for recruiters or to fix bugs in poo poo was use at work except not get paid for it :(

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

self hosted garbage is what the internet is supposed to be

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Share Bear posted:

When i say trash I mean it in the nicest possible way.
Nerd poo poo has to have that special kind of jank.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Insanite posted:

i went to altavista.com because of this post, and that of course forwarded me to search.yahoo.com

and the results for a few queries didn't seem any worse than google's

oh, so you yahoo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Old One posted:

When i say trash I mean it in the nicest possible way.
Nerd poo poo has to have that special kind of jank.

the kind of jank that leads you to believe the person who made it is seriously into collectible card games and paintable miniatures

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

infernal machines posted:

oh, so you yahoo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgaUod1rCs

lol imagine being able to search for something and efficiently find it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Do You Yahoo!® ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Insanite posted:

lol imagine being able to search for something and efficiently find it

that's the dream, but part of the problem these days is that it has to exist somewhere that's indexed, publicly accessible, and still online

the good old days of finding things via weird hobbyist forums and some random guy's project blog are passing us by as those people get old, die, and stop paying for hosting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the human indexed pages yahoo built for government sites were absolutely great

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shame Boy posted:

Do You Yahoo!® ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBgDFIocydw

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shame Boy posted:

Do You Yahoo!® ?

remember the yahooooowoo yodel? yahoo! stole that and never paid the yodeler

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

:negative:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

infernal machines posted:

that's the dream, but part of the problem these days is that it has to exist somewhere that's indexed, publicly accessible, and still online

the good old days of finding things via weird hobbyist forums and some random guy's project blog are passing us by as those people get old, die, and stop paying for hosting

at least in my case i specifically took my little forum off search because the only thing it was bringing was a flood of spambots and other dogshit.

the internet is an extremely hostile place these days, from all angles.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Is there a non-dogshit search engine nowadays? Getting fed up with google

no.

google has spent the last 30 years in a fight with shithead capitalists trying to shove irrelevant garbage in your face and is only now finally breaking down because the corpse of the world wide web left behind after facebook murdered it has finally rotted to the point where google is having difficulties extracting signal from the noise.

unfortunately, nobody else has spent the past 30 years in the fight, so all of google's competitors are strictly worse. microsoft spent billions of dollars investing in bing, and the best they managed to accomplish was something that was at best almost as good as google, and then microsoft gave up.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i only really use google for work related stuff or how to fix things and it usually gives me forum posts that are helpful. or finding out if local businesses are open today. what else do you use it for

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nothing, because outside of crap i need for work,

Insanite posted:

the internet has nothing worth viewing on it anymore

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDWzCmia5s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

polyester concept posted:

i only really use google for work related stuff or how to fix things and it usually gives me forum posts that are helpful. or finding out if local businesses are open today. what else do you use it for

google is spectacularly useless for finding how to fix things, pretty much no matter what the thing is, because that's one of the categories of search where spam blogs and llm poisoned bullshit have completely overwhelmed natural search results.

you can, at best, append the site: operator if you know where your answer is likely to be found

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I made the mistake of drafting a request on angieslist on the advice of a coworker

I have received 12 spam calls in 3 hours, one of which was clearly spoofing a number close to mine and left a voicemail telling me to call an 800 number

gently caress this technofuture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my email addresses has somehow ended up listed as an angi vendor so I get lots of email spam about amazing leads for construction work and there’s no way to change or remove it, I even tried calling the sales people on the phone and they don’t have write access to the crm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

one of my email addresses has somehow ended up listed as an angi vendor so I get lots of email spam about amazing leads for construction work and there’s no way to change or remove it, I even tried calling the sales people on the phone and they don’t have write access to the crm

report them to the california ag for violating your ccpa request to have your data removed

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Share Bear posted:

sure ok *mouse cursor hovers over "show only posts by share bear"*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Not a Children posted:

I made the mistake of drafting a request on angieslist on the advice of a coworker

I have received 12 spam calls in 3 hours, one of which was clearly spoofing a number close to mine and left a voicemail telling me to call an 800 number

gently caress this technofuture

Angie's list changed their business model a while ago and now they charge contractors for every single lead they send to them, whether it's a valid lead that results in a project or not. oh and they fire one lead out to like a dozen people.

As a consequence, it's basically a concentration of every single contractor who is too disreputable or too incompetent to get work any other way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my gf moved her company to my state which prompted a new business filing. since the only phone number associated with my address was my personal one, angie’s people called me trying to set her up an account. i politely declined.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

never trust anyone named Angie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

never trust anyone named Angie

mick? is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN_YKJBMagQ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
going to assume that the angie in that song is 14 years old