Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

haveblue posted:

are they going to ban anyone whose metaverse avatar differs too much from their real appearance

This is gonna backfire when the only person lifeless and creepy enough for the mii creator to make a reasonable facsimile of is Zuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

LanceHunter posted:

load-bearing trenches

This took me a minute

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The only time I've been on a flight where people applauded the landing was in a storm @ Heathrow, the crosswind was so bad that when we finally dropped out of the cloud I could catch glimpses of the runway out of my window :jeb:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Wayne Knight posted:

Drives me nuts. I swear they always do the opposite of what you offer so you either get greeted with “JUST YOUR ID” or “BOARDING PASS”.

I always just give em my passport with boarding pass tucked into the ID page and let the agent figure it out

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you're allowed to mutate data so it says "erased" or some poo poo rather than actually executing a delete from the db

efb

Legally you have to say "you've just been erased" for every edit if you do it this way though

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

qirex posted:

also a metric shitload of google "employees" [and every large company nowadays] are perma-temps. it is deeply silly to me that paying $200/hr for ic level employees looks better on a balance sheet then any amount of ftes

poo poo a smaller place I worked at ended up with a contractor as 2nd in command of an entire dept because the attrition rate was so bad & contractor $$$ was the only thing that made the place bearable

Every time contract renewal came round they tried to force him to into a full-time role & take a massive pay cut, and every time he'd lol and lmao until the company rolled over and took another 6 month extension

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Shame Boy posted:

my favorite direction is when it goes "in 200 feet, continue on [road you're already on]" for some loving reason

there's a few areas around here where it does that and there's no roads splitting off at those points or signs or anything, it just thinks you need to know that the straight flat road continues to be exactly the same straight flat road at this point

There's a spot on the M6 where gmaps has done this for years and it's always jarring

Also goog have never figured out the big roundabout junctions we build over motorways in the UK & treats them as circular roads, so 99% of the time it tells you to make a left turn onto this road regardless of which exit you actually need.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Captain Foo posted:

oh there’s an incredibly good writeup of this one somewhere

I got you: https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/flying-the-unflyable-the-near-crash-of-air-astana-flight-1388-88878e2eb3c4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
As someone who makes engineering drawings for a living, the fuckin Escher-rear end cable replacement drawing the service crew were given boils my piss